Home server general - /hsg/

home server general - /hsg/

reddit BTF edition! net neutrality is RIP, good fucking riddance!
+ use the new privacy focused DNS by cloudflare 1.1.1.1
+ run your own DNS server edition: zwischenzugs.com/2018/01/26/how-and-why-i-run-my-own-dns-servers/
+ RISCV Homeservers NOW
Are you interested in learning Linux or BSD administration and configuration better. Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

>news:
> LKML is hosted on somebodys homeserver!
> Everybody is switching away from freebsd, nobody knows why

>chat
> discord.gg/9vZzCYz
> or use riot.im and join riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

Attached: reddit-net-neutrality.png (570x418, 232K)

> use the new privacy focused DNS by cloudflare 1.1.1.1
I was talking about this new resolver to one of my coworkers. We were thrilled that the latency was bellow 1ms. Weird isn’t? We tried to dig it but the queries were all time outing.

Turns out the incompetent oh so enterprise retarded ISP is using 1.1.1.1 in one of their devices.

go away

1.1.1.1 should have never been used by Cloudfare IMO

Alright fuckers, how do i set-up traffic shaping in pfsense so that traffic from vlan1 has higher priority than vlan2 but if vlan1 is not using it then vlan2 can use all of it?

Attached: 59f8d77c513cb.png (625x1215, 290K)

how much swap do I need on a headless 4gb gentoo server?

Attached: 1517777813632.gif (448x252, 1.99M)

Depends on what you are using. The rule of thumb is 1 or 2 times the total RAM but again it depends on what kind of loads you are going to have.

seedbox, irc, web and file server. I'm considering 2gb or 4gb, don't want to overdo it as I have only 60gb of storage space

>+ use the new privacy focused DNS by cloudflare 1.1.1.1
nice shit advice to open up the thread
Why on earth is this allowed? What's next? A guide on how to buy a license from Microsoft to install a Windows Server on an AMD gayming rig to serve CP and share links with people on facebook?

>cloudfare
>privacy focused
better hope the ceo doesn’t wake up and decide to ban Jow Forums one morning because he felt like it.

All the middleware routers and shit using 1.1.1.1 are the ones fucking up. It's not a public use address, it belongs to APNIC. But so much shit wrongly uses it that APNIC couldn't do anything with it, so they gave it to Cloudflare for free.

does 1.0.0.1 work?

personally i trust cloudflare more than i trust my isp. so running unbound with tls verification on 1.1.1.1 makes me feel much better than i did before.

you haven't needed twice RAM for donkey's years. Swap only needs to be larger than RAM at all if you want to use hibernation, unlikely for a server. All you need is enough to make sure that the thing doesn't topple over and have to call the OOM killer if it uses more memory than normal. 512MB would probably be fine.

who came up with such a retarded idea as the oom killer? why not just set proper ulimits and let allocations fail when you run out of ram?

Well just having malloc() cough up a null works fine for userspace programs, but what if the kernel is the one trying to allocate memory?

It isn't a retarded idea. But yea, use cgroups (ulimit is usually too coarse) if you want limits.

If only there were reserved addresses for private use...

Is it reasonable to run a small portfolio wordpress site off a freenas? I am upgrading my server setup and like the features that freenas provides but am not sure if it is good for reliably hosting a website. It will mostly be used for video downloading/plex streaming/backups/etc but also need a place to put my portfolio.

Some user hosts some web pages or services behind the same router? I've wondered lately how the port forwarding would be doing.

Page 9 lol

Someone tell me what's going wrong.
Put in some more dimms in a dl380g6 to fully populate it, beeped on startup and only showed 44gb out ouf 72gb. Took some out and swapped some around until it detected 60gb, so some must be bad. Then the panel shows a few amber leds on the dimms and the ilo says ecc memory error, but memtest says it's perfect. Move the dimms with amber warning lights around and then a completely different dimm is getting lights, some without any ram in them at all. Took out cpu and the pins look perfect, looked online and can't find anything.