OSX/macOS is a meme

Ok so, let me get this off my chest real quick: I've come to the conclusion that Apple can't develop software. At all!
Let me explain my point:
Back in 2017 I made a hackintosh and used it solely without a dual boot setup (after I got rid of the ubuntu linux boot entry I had before which I used to run vmware and make a OSX vm in order to make a bootable OSX usb with clover) because IMO dual boot is kinda pointless. Once I got the hang of it and installed some third party tools to help (Xtrafinder/noti/backgroundAudio et cetera) I actually really enjoyed using it. But there were a couple of issues: reading NTFS drives was kinda of a hassle (paragon drivers only offered compatibility with SAMSUNG and Kingston (I guess) drives and everyone I asked told me other options like apple's ntfs driver (disabled by default) could lead to data corruption so in the end I opted to format all my drives as HFS+ and everything was ok. But then I ended up noticing that the system was so behind compared to other OSs... OpenGL was YEARS outdated compared to windows and even Linux, macOS doesn't even support vulkan and the performance itself on 3D applications was never comparable to something on windows or even fuck, any linux distro I've used (I even heard that Wine development on OSX is frozen due to OpenGL). I'll not even talk about how using the system made me missclick/type stuff whenever I used a windows/linux machine. The experience overall was fine but at what cost? I've installed windows 10 recently and noticed that pretty much every feature macOS has to offer windows has it covered already spotlight search -> unit conversion (windows search already does it and shows the result without the need to open Edge) multiple desktops? windows 10 already has it file manager tabs? coming on an update soon.
It's just pointless. macOS's kernel doesn't seem that great either (sometimes the thing would boot and sometimes drivers would have some weird conflict leading to a kernel panic).

Attached: macosold-100656339-large.jpg (580x387, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/iamevltwin/status/979856221326008320
youtube.com/watch?v=3RDVz7grnN8
youtube.com/watch?v=Lr1rEdRgxVY
youtube.com/watch?v=5zezuMSzDqg
youtube.com/watch?v=85KObbqh-NY
youtu.be/xd3Q3IozNcU
macrumors.com/2017/10/05/macos-high-sierra-disk-utility-vulnerability/
pcpartpicker.com/list/y9CLP3
youtu.be/AUaJ8pDlxi8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

(cont.)
Yes the interface is the best out there and the system experience is pretty nice overall as well as having a native shell like zsh/bash on the terminal but who gives a fuck? the system itself is somehow heavier than a fresh install of fucking windows 10! and I won't even mention how big xcode and other apple apps are...
The whole font rendering thing is a huge meme, it works nicely if you have a monitor with a 1440p minimum? resolution (my monitor is 2560x1080 and I still had no access to the font scaling menu on the display settings - the one that appears on retina macbooks/iMacs).

Well, I have to say, most non-game programs written for macOS worked really well (way better than their Linux/windows alternatives/counterparts) eg: INNA, Booruchan, Parallels desktop.
but does it really matter though? I don't think so.

NTFS comparability sucks because it's a Microsoft product and Apple doesn't give a fuck cuz its a terrible file system. Your only legitimate complaint is gaming. MacOS is the best iteration of Unix on the desktop ever.

Putting this much effort into disliking an operating system that you'll never use is pure autism. It's like writing a scathing post about how you hate that someone painted their walls eggshell instead of antique white. What the fuck are you hoping to accomplish and why does it bother you?
The only legitimate reason to care would be if you want increased adoption for more market share that would lead to software support, except that the general consensus from the GNU/Linux community is that they don't want normies watering down up their OS and they don't want normie proprietary software, so the point is moot.

(cont.)
I've read a couple of articles on how HFS and HFS+ are a complete mess (even Torvalds himself said it was crap) and ZFS's developers even pointed out how HFS+ is still susceptible to data corruption/loss. I hate how Finder creates those annoying DS_Store files (why not store such date on a dedicated system folder?). And then APFS came out... the thing was a fucking MESS, most people I knew complained that it was slow as shit on their SSD drives (same happened to me once I upgraded to high sierra - 10.13) moving/copying files would leave finder hanging until it finished the task HFS+ was fast as FUCK yes, it was but see above, it's still a pile of shit.

10.13 was a HUGE downgrade from Sierra (which was by itself already a pain to deal with sometimes because of shitty nvidia webdrivers).
>inb4 why don't you buy a mac then?
No Apple machine would convince me of wasting money on a system that isn't really worth it. And I'll be honest! I wasted countless times adding mac pros and older macbooks to my ebay watchlist and I simply decided it wasn't worth the money when I could simply buy a decent Dell laptop or simply stay with my desktop.

If it's so good why does APFS suck so much? let's not even forget this: twitter.com/iamevltwin/status/979856221326008320

>that you'll never use
Excuse me can you read? I've used Sierra for almost a year and a half... And I'm not even mentioning the amount of time I used mountain lion and yosemite on VMs...

Attached: Screenshot.png (745x607, 100K)

>Excuse me can you read?
I'm not reading your autistic wall of text. If you don't like it, don't use it.

APFS pretty much BTFOs any other filesystem, with a few exceptions. The twitter post you posted shows an issue that has nothing to do with the design of APFS, but rather with some idiot working at Apple who linked the password field from the when creating an APFS volume in Disk Utility to the hint property of an APFS volume. It was patched out when it was discovered. And only disks created on the affected High Sierra versions, using Disk Utility (not including converting HFS+ to APFS, nor doing it via the Terminal).

>If it's so good why does APFS suck so much?
It doesnt lol. HFS+ was pretty deprecated, like the totally niggered the Unix permission flags. However, it had super cool features, like the ability to resize partitions while mounted (even the system partition). El Capitan was the last good version of macOS, Sierra had some annoying walled garden shit going on, and High Sierra seems to be an absolute shit show.
Your complaints are still retarded tho. What GPU are you using? Also macOS has great OpenGL support. It isn't, however, optimized for
>muh games

I tried FUSE with my Ryzen Hackintosh and it worked fine.

Add Metal (and now Vulkan) support too. OP is pretty rarted. The first thing he said already disvalues the rest of his posts.
>I made a hackintosh
Of course your experience will be (more) shitty. I'd also argue you don't know the system's ins and outs, the little things it does/offers for you.

Why can't you take criticism? stop being a fanboy. If you actually cared about macOS you would do something like a video explaining why it's not that great. Something like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=3RDVz7grnN8
No matter how much you argue. The inconsistency on the 'close" button is ridiculous.

Good support my ass. Open OpenGL extensions viewer, the latest version of OpenGL on macOS BARELY supports all functions mind you, of a YEARS old version.
LMAO
you do realize that moltenVK is actually a implementation of vulkan that runs ON TOP of metal? it's not even native and apple doesn't even care about it.

And why is it that some apple apps on iOS still struggle with certain strings (fuck, I remember bugs like these since fucking 2012 or maybe even earlier, my friends would warn each other about messages crashing apps and even making iOS reboot).

>Back in 2017
>I've come to the conclusion
/thread

Did you seriously report me fa/g/got?

MacOS is redundant unless you need:
Final cut Pro
Xcode
Sketch
Everything else is on windows and Linux. Any distro is better than OSX.

OpenGL is garbage. Instead of wasting resources following the OpenGL extension gravy train, Apple developed the Metal API which provides most of what is capable in Vulkan. This was incorporated into OSX years before Vulcan was even released.

>hackintosh
>has issues
>blame OS
what a surprise

??? I've yet to use reports on Jow Forums since 2016 lol
But anyways, 's point is kinda meh.
I'm unironically still thinking about re-doing my Sierra setup on another machine since I have 2 HDMI ports on my monitor. I still have a clover usb with my properly working config.plist and drivers on a partition I created inside it.

lmao you do realize appleinsider and other channels already showed how slower apfs is compared to hfs+ right? on HFS+ I literally launched ANY application instantly. APFS takes like 3-5 seconds and the whole shit with finder hanging on file management tasks isn't a hackintosh exclusive problem...
also this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Lr1rEdRgxVY
youtube.com/watch?v=5zezuMSzDqg
youtube.com/watch?v=85KObbqh-NY
I doubt doing a fresh install would solve anything lol.

I don’t think you have the knowledge to claim some other party is unable to code software when you do not understand simple concepts. NTFS is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft. Any NTFS driver outside of Windows is made by reverse engineering the NTFS code. No real company would offer a reverse engineered rw driver that can blow up on the users face. The NTFS driver on some user friendly linux distros is offered AS IS.

fucking brainlet cant spend 20 seconds to read a paragraph

This has already been pointed out by insanelymac users. I know exactly what you mean but I was merely pointing out the inconvenience of said thing. Not the fact that it is a problem.

Every argument you’ve pointed out is invalidated by the fact that you are using a hackintosh which is only possible by using a huge number of hacks and community made drivers.

it's literally another linux distro with adobe support

but it's propriteary

Just like Dead Rat.

What's the deal with people shitting on High Sierra? It works on my machine, and I'd argue it's even better than Sierra. Also I have no problems with APFS, but I've yet to experience any benefits.

>can't even read
Mactoddlers everyone

macOS does everything any other OS does and more with two exceptions; gaming and CAD stuff

Does APFS work okay on hard disks?

>Back in 2017 I made a hackintosh
stopped reading here, why the fuck should anyone care about your opinion based on your experience with it on unsupported hardware?
you can't even properly use paragraphs, I don't see any reason to take you seriously because you were probably just too much of a fucking idiot to solve your problems before crying about them

If you wanted to format your external disks to be read-writable cross-platform, you should have used exFAT (or FAT32). Everyone knows this.

OpenGL on the Mac has been officially superseded by Metal, Apple’s own proprietary API, analogous to Microsoft’s Direct3D. There is a third-party Vulkan solution named moltenVK.

APFS could have benefited from another year of polish, but considering this is Apple’s first file-system switch in 20 years, and the first significant change in 33 years, they did a pretty good job. And for what it’s worth, my anecdotal experience has been only positive so far (especially with cloning large files on the same disk; not having to waste time or disk space is fucking awesome).

DS_Store is the macOS equivalent of desktop.ini. Do you bitch about that too?

You have only yourself to blame if you use third-party GPU drivers for muh vidya. In fact, you should have known that cobbling together a Hackintosh comes with significant compromises.

tl;dr Do you research next time before deciding to throw a public tantrum.

>The twitter post you posted shows an issue that has nothing to do with the design of APFS, but rather with some idiot working at Apple who linked the password field from the when creating an APFS volume in Disk Utility to the hint property of an APFS volume. It was patched out when it was discovered.
Not only do you have zero evidence for this, since it's a proprietary app, but it would make no sense. How could the password get outputted onto a text box if it wasn't stored in plaintext?

>MacOS is the best iteration of Unix on the desktop ever.
That's an opinion, and a pretty dumb one.

Fat32's file size limit is too small for handling media. Desktop.ini isn't even as near of a clusterfuck as DS_Store.
>You have only yourself to blame if you use third-party GPU drivers for muh vidya. In fact, you should have known that cobbling together a Hackintosh comes with significant compromise
My hackintosh worked flawlessly. Like I said, the problems I had were also reported by actual mac users on forums and youtube.

Fucking retard. If you actually looked into the issue, or recreated it yourself. You could obviously see that this was what happened. Again, converted disks and disks created outside of Disk Utility didn't have the issue.
youtu.be/xd3Q3IozNcU
It's obvious it was just an interface error with using the information from the password text field (instead of the hint text field) and using that for the password as well as the hint. They patched this error the same day it was discovered.

Here's even more evidence.
macrumors.com/2017/10/05/macos-high-sierra-disk-utility-vulnerability/
>For clarity, this appears to be a bug within Disk Utility itself. When creating an encrypted APFS volume in Terminal with the diskutil command line utility, the actual hint is shown, rather than the password.

OP here, I didn't really care about the disk utility bug since back when it happened I was still using Sierra (which has no APFS support as far as I know). And when I did move to 10.13 the bug was already patched. The thing pointed out has been debunked already on previous threads.

This thread's purpose is just a warning to those who want to make a hackintosh/buy a apple computer: it's not worth it, either use Windows 10 or any Linux distro you want.

> i can't run software that was designed for a specific hardware platform
> le appel is sooooo GAY

yea OP, awesome post, so intelligent, +10 upboats for you for contributing to constructive discussion

Sorry op, my brain keeps changing the text of your post to "a-bloo-bloo-bloo I'm a retard that tried running software on a machine it wasn't meant to run on and subsequently had a bad experience with my hackish retard installation".

Not defining macOS or Apple, I'm just saying... You're running a hack job, using unofficial drivers and a patched up kernel on non Apple hardware. You deserve the shitty experience you got. Literally your only valid points are some things being outdated and shit like xcode being way too bloated. The rest of that shit is your fault for virtualized hardware and hackintoshing. Of course windows is better... Do you think the desktop market share is so high by *just* the early OEM strongarming?

>This thread's purpose is just a warning to those who want to make a hackintosh/buy a apple computer: it's not worth it, either use Windows 10 or any Linux distro you want.
I can make blanket statements about my sour grapes in a long winded tantrum on an internet forum too!!

>. Do you think the desktop market share is so high by *just* the early OEM strongarming?
it has nothing to do with that, the reason it's so is because the average consumer is a fucking retard

First off: I already mentioned multiple times my setup worked flawlessly. I had no problems other than macOS/OSX being just plain pointless.
>sour grapes
lmao I could get a 2017 5k iMac if I wanted to.
I for one cannot describe a single reason to use macOS/OSX nowadays. Windows 10 does everything except for having a great interface and even then it's still not as bad as people think it is. And Ubuntu with KDE is actually just as nice if you don't need windows/macOS exclusive software.

Pretty much this.

t. Macfag normie

t. apple fanboy
Apple is legitimately not good.
Here's what you do. You build a PC with great processing power (and a good GPU if you want to game) and install Linux on the machine.
pcpartpicker.com/list/y9CLP3
(Will need a BIOS update.)

>Flawless
>Writes long-winded post about how it's flawed
>inb4 "it's the OS that's flawed, not my installation of it"
Fuck off Rajesh. You'll never get a macfag to convert to Windows no matter how many posts to make for your rupeea

Poor mac 3dlets - no d3d, no vulkan, shitty ogl support forever.

Attached: sad_mac.png (1036x283, 36K)

Hey mac Pajeet you seem confused...
The system booted just fine, there were no random kernel panics, kexts (audio/networking/video/fakeSMC) all worked perfectly.
I know it's something hard for your atom-sized brain to understand but yeah macOS can run without problems on "non-apple" machines.

do you have a background in technology or are you just shitposting? I would literally fire my employees if I knew they were posting shit this retarded online.

And still it's impossible to confirm your tale because it's proprietary. One thing is for sure: the password was, without question, saved in plaintext, whether on the volume or on the diskutil app. All you can do now is HOPE it isn't anymore, instead of just unlinking the hint field with that variable, because you can't audit the code yourself.
>evidence
You have no idea what that word means.

>software designed for a specific hardware platform
The dumb shit macfags say will never cease to make me laugh.

>I made a hackintosh
I stopped there.
Get a real Mac, it's not meant to be run that way nor on a VM. Although I dislike them very much, your rant is inane and you need to grow up.

You are not the target user, at all.

Nigger. You can't audit the site you're using. You can just hope it's not gathering a profile of you with every single shitpost you do. You can check that APFS doesn't store your password in plaintext. Apple is actually going to open source APFS, there have been many talks about this. It's just not ready yet in its current form. With it obviously not saving passwords as plaintext by design, it's pretty obvious that it was just a GUI mistake.

Eh, I think it's adobe. Frankly if adobe put their top 4 products on Linux, MacOS would be pointless for most professionals. The sole reason I have a mac is because I didn't want to dual boot or run VM's for casual graphic work. MacOS is like having a shitty linux distro with some critical proprietary software avaliable natively.

>>software designed for a specific hardware platform
>The dumb shit macfags say will never cease to make me laugh.
i'm not a macfag, but you obviously don't develop software.

>You can check that APFS doesn't store your password in plaintext.
Post proof.
>Apple is actually going to open source APFS, there have been many talks about this.
If they do this, I'd actually love it.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe the password isn't stored on the volume. But when done properly, the password gets stored in a variable on the process, it gets used to create a private key and a public key, the volume stores the public key (for encrypting anything you put on it), meanwhile the private one, along with the password, gets deleted. Then every time you decrypt the volume with your password, it re-creates the private key for decryption. What they probably did on that bug was not delete that variable with the password. What you can hope they did was fix that and remove the variable from memory, but let's be honest, they probably just unlinked the hint field from the variable with the password, but kept the variable itself in memory.

I do, tell me what specific hardware this generic x86 machine contains that would explain OP's problems. I hope I don't have to explain they haven't used PowerPC in about a decade.

Yeah I think this is what the target user looks like :^)

Attached: 1519667547120.png (594x648, 152K)

yeah, because running a shitty os on the shitty hardware it was "designed for" just magically fixes everything wrong with that company's shitty products:

youtu.be/AUaJ8pDlxi8

Attached: 1521233428140.jpg (878x900, 146K)

>itoddlers circa 2011: you're holding it wrong
>itoddlers circa 2018: you're running it wrong
the "revolutionary" progress of apple products ladies (males) and gentlemen...

>Apple is actually going to open source APFS
What license? I hope it's gpl incompatible :^)

it's useful if you need all three major systems on one box for some work use case.

Did you start using macOS after watching Lain?

Attached: lain10.jpg (493x600, 87K)

I started using OSX mountain lion on vmware because I was curious to see how it works but yeah I've saw the comparisons between lain's navi and apple's 20th anniversary macintosh and the handynavi x the apple newton and alice's computer which is pretty much the old imac g3 lol

The only time macOS is nice is when there is some work situation where you can not get around running all 3 major OSes on one box.
With a shitbook, you can carry around all 3, and since there is no convenient way of virtualizing macOS, it's the only solution.

macOS is a bad joke. Anyone that needs a proper UNIX derivative env spins up a proper GNU/Linux instance. Winshit is the corporate workhorse and compat king due to marketshare. There is no reason to use macOS unless you have a use case that demands you working in that specific env.

>literally the only good thing about macOS trash is that it's properly integrated with the overpriced hardware
>people insist on removing even that advantage by hacking it up on random hw
I doan geddit

> paragon drivers only offered compatibility with SAMSUNG and Kingston (I guess)
No it doesn’t, you’re probably some cheap cunt that downloaded the “””””free””””” version that only works for certain drives.
> macOS's kernel doesn't seem that great either (sometimes the thing would boot and sometimes drivers would have some weird conflict leading to a kernel panic).
What do you not understand about “hackintosh”?

Attached: image.jpg (1976x1202, 1.39M)

>in the end I opted to format all my drives as HFS+
ExFAT motherfucker.

>ZFS's developers even pointed out how HFS+ is still susceptible to data corruption/loss
Apple at one point was going to switch to ZFS but didn’t for some reason.

Why would you reply to a thread if you didn’t want to read the OP? Really makes me think.

It’s BSD-based.

>he’s so desperate to call someone a mactoddler he doesn’t care that he replied to the wrong person

What's the largest an exfat partition can be?

>less is more

hmm interesting

Attached: Capture332.png (715x484, 16K)

Video games are for children. Windows might as well be called Xbox OS.

Windows literally is Xbox OS.

Mate it was an honest question. That shit's impressive, can you use exfat in GPT volumes? If so, death to ntfs.

Yes. I have an external drive with GPT and ExFAT attached to my Mac right now.

Still
>max filename length: 255
Why? How is this a problem in 2018?

Nice blog faggot

>post proof
Nigger, you can actually check it yourself if you weren't retarded. Even the article says so. Either you're one of those "you can never prove anything, nothing is real" faggots or you're so dumb you need to be spoonfed.

I mean show me the code so I can audit it and check for myself. An article saying "tots not password in memory, trust me goy" is completely irrelevant.

There's a difference with it being in memory and it actually being able to be inspected on the disk. APFS is written on the disk, you can read all it's properties. It's not some source code that you can be forwarded to, it's the way the disk's filesystem is build up on. If you want to see if it's stored somewhere on the disk in plaintext, make your own APFS volume and have at it with any tool, you'll notice that it isn't there because it wasn't designed to be there.

Mate did you even read the post you quoted previously? I said the exact same thing. The only difference is I said that's how it PROBABLY works because, once again, both APFS and diskutil are proprietary and no one can confirm it.

At least read the shit you disagree with.

I read it. You want the source code. But APFS is physically written to your hard drive. You can read that shit. Obviously you don't know how the drivers for APFS work, but that's irrelevant. You want to know if the password is written in plaintext on the drive. Well, you can. As long as you have an APFS volume.

I use all 3 operating systems and I have equal complaints and benefits for all of them. There is no unified os that solves all your problems.

Hell i've even hated on Linux when configuring new distros. In the past the driver support was abyssmal.

For hardware peogramming mac and linux let me down.

For game development and gaming windows is the best platform only because if scale and gaming enthusiasts don't give a shit about some linux distro.

For hardware compatability windows still trumps every other os.

For specs to price ratio, apple has come last in that category for decades. If the new macbook pro is actually in line with the imac pro, then i'll get a new one.

Xcode is a bitch to use and heavy as fuck. Most popular ide's now work cross platform so other language support is now accesible.

Attached: Screenshot_20180425-144718_Instagram.jpg (710x1073, 355K)

>imagine being so illiterate that you think bragging about not wanting to read can't possibly make someone call you out

Attached: 1521634499088.jpg (720x736, 32K)

> imagine being so new that you think I’m the same person
> imagine being so pajeet you have to call out mac users to get your rupees

Even by the rock bottom standards of macOS trolling threads, this thread was shit.

>And still it's impossible to confirm your tale because it's proprietary.
Any of you dumb shit-slurping morons ever hear of reverse engineering? Decompile it and figure it out.