What went wrong? And how did they not put themselves out of business with this? Holy shit

What went wrong? And how did they not put themselves out of business with this? Holy shit.

Attached: BD495i_1.png (700x600, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

realworldtech.com/jaguar/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because the hero(Intel) always needs a villain goy. Stay in your line, disgusting antisemite piece of shit

Attached: mfwagoyspeaksnonsense.jpg (1600x1600, 196K)

GPUs and consoles carried the company

Attached: bulldozer.png (1007x281, 44K)

>Create cpu that is really powerful but has terrible ipc but costs less than an i5
>market it as i7 killer
>wonder why gamers aren't buying it
By the time they started to market it as the budget powerhouse it is, it was old, irrelevant, and then was coming.

Zen was coming***

Also, when Bulldozer came out, software didn't understand modules and core parking until a hotfix came out for windows 7 along with windows 8 onward supporting it.

Attached: Core Parking.png (1920x1200, 217K)

Bulldozer (41xx, 61xx, 81xx) was absolute shit. Piledriver (43xx, 63xx, 83xx) was AMD's saving grace

Based Jim Keller saved the day

Contract keller

Nothing. I have 3 machines that have a FX-8320e around the house. Great deal.

Attached: Alex5.gif (171x172, 962K)

Their server CPUs saved them. Also, Piledriver.

I fell for an FX8350. At the time it was my first build ever. It has served me well and still does but runs a bit (very) hot, and can't really stream good games.

Windows 7 basically not supporting bulldozer for a year was a killer blow.

Even to this day, 7 is the most popular OS, and someone building a budget FX rig out of used parts may be disappointed by the FPU bottlenecking caused by two bulldozer cores when you're only taking advantage of four cores and the underutilized ones aren't parked, the IPC of a single FX core can go up like 20% when everything's working optimally with the parking.

The parking fix was rolled into a later windows update iirc.

>tfw still running SP1 without anything but the FX hotfix
Yeah I was just assuming people went the piracy route on the OS like me and didn't bother updating anything.

One cool feature about Gigabyte AM3+ boards is you can hardware force only four cores running on their own FPUs, gets pretty good ipc if you're running an old piece of software and you wan't it guaranteed to run decently.

Attached: One Core Per CU 1866 RAM.png (437x729, 45K)

I have an i3 6100 and regret not buying an FX-8350. RAM would be cheaper, and multicore workloads would be much better. The only good thing about the i3 is that it puts out much less heat.
My reasoning for choosing the i3 was that I could eventually upgrade to a used i7 6700 or 7700 (non-K), but the reality is that ebay cunts still sell it used at a high price because they know gaymurs will buy them.

>using windows
Keep it up goy, stay in line.

8350 served me very well. I started with Gentoo on it and run it to this day. It's really amazing what I can do with it, provided that I have enough RAM.
>dowclock to 1ghz
>Chromium in bg running, playing netflix
>playing Skyrim in wine with dx9 mesa patches at a decent framerate
>running Telegram in bg
That's as much I dared to put on the workload at that speed. What really doesn't fly with 8350 is the temperature. Stock cooler is not made to withstand 4GHz for 4 years, and 3GHz for the next 2.

If it weren't for Sony Vegas, I'd be using Xubuntu or Linux mint as my main OS for shitposting, Also underclocking on FX is pretty sweet, even underclocked to 3.2GHz 8320e speeds with 1.2V is good enough for my needs and it runs cool.

Shintelfags when their cpus have a slightly higher clock
>muh 4.20 gorrillion heartz goiiiii!
Shintelfags when they see an amd cpu that pushes out raw power :
>h-hah! Fucking bulldozer cpu. Muh 6000000 gorillion watttts goy! Software? What software support? You need compatible drivers and support from other partners to run hardware to it's fullest potential? Huh!

>Fucking 7980XE uses more power than a high end GPU when overclocked and is expensive
>Hurr durr AMD sucks
It's incredible hoe vehemently people willd defend intel when they do such jewy things, like how they've been sittting on 6 core cpus for the mainstream platform, now that ryzen is out, they drop the i5 6 core just to stay competitive.

>wasting an 8350 on loonix

Whatever fag, It is the last decent performing CPU without PSP or Intel ME "management engine".

All FX-83** can reach 5Ghz on all cores and on air with ease and can match the Ryzen 5 1600 in multi threaded stuff. At 5Ghz it is still very good at gaming and many of the newer titles that use more cores effectively seem to run better than Intel equivalents of the day.

If you security minded or have not switched it is still decent enough.

Nothing really changes with Amd.
The problem is that the technical information is too technical for the likes of Jow Forums so all these games monkeys go to other websites to get it explained to them, but of course those websites are pushing out information they are paid to push out (advertising) in the form of reviews etc. By the time everyone has realised they ate the same old AMD shit sandwich they have been eating for the last decade or more, it's too late they just ate another AMD shit sandwich. You can eat anything as long as it tastes spicy enough and is served in lashings of sweet sauce.

Cant wait till next year when all the AMD buyers are reading once again how they got stung. It always happens every fucking time
CPU or GPU, every fucking time. November is usually when the news leaks, then by June or July next year everyone who bought AMD is thinking "Oh no they played me like a nigger after a watermelon"

Attached: 1524173748969.jpg (599x600, 39K)

Eight full cores of integer performance does wonderful things for compiler performance.

>t.Intlel corelet/threadlet

have fun trying to open 2 calculators at the same time whitout burning your corelet CPU

oooh catty. I bet you practice being a bitch in front of a mirror. Have you still got a dick?

>Have you still got a dick?

all the way in your ass.

>All FX-83** can reach 5Ghz on all cores and on air with ease

no

from 2014 and up yes

This, I'm not sure when my chip was made (bought it new in Aug 2017) but it's doing 4.4GHz at 1.380v and running 52C full load with room for more voltage.

Attached: UD3 Revision 4 putting in work.png (1028x530, 133K)

>mfw 2700x on loonix

Shills are getting so desperate they don't even make sense anymore.

Attached: wat.jpg (550x451, 22K)

They expected that CPUs would go heavily paralelized so they split their cores. But no software followed it. If you see how much gain the FX series get from DX11 to Mantle version of Battlefield 4 you can see how FX could be good.

>split their cores
Oh they're real cores, the FPU bottlenecks it really hard when the two cores in a module are rocking, the IPC is actually as good as a core 2 quad when a core can use the full cache and FPU, and FX clocks really high, I still roll with 8 cores running because it renders faster with 8 enabled.

Attached: FXCPU_Die.jpg (2249x3119, 3.65M)

could engineering samples of skylake i7 work on ur mobo?

It wasn't THAT bad and it was much cheaper than Intel at the time.

It is a Gigabyte H110M than can't run "matching" LGA 1151 Xeons, and can't overclock. I won't ever upgrade this CPU. I am done with intel and will probably buy a 1950x if they drop in price once Threadripper 2 is released.

>It wasn't THAT bad
It was.

>will probably buy a 1950x
You won't, being destitute and all. Why else would you buy a fucking i3 and a shit-tier motherboard.

>IPC is actually as good as a core 2 quad when a core can use the full cache and FPU
>the IPC is as good as a CPU 5 years older under ideal circumstances
This is positive how?

>What went wrong?
Advertised a quad core as an octa core. >two integer units
>one floating point unit
>one instruction cache
>one instruction fetch/decoder
I really don't see how that's two cores, seems more like one core with two integer units each.

That's basically what they did, , it's kinda like how Intel out two core 2 duo cpu dies on one 1066mhz bus and called it a core 2 quad, yes the cores are bottlenecked by the single front side bus because it's not a true dual cpu situation, but it's certainly faster than a core 2 duo overall.

yeah, shit was horrible. i remember i bought an fx6300 and i couldn't play deus ex machina. took them half a year to write a fix

To be fair, FX wasn't a horrible chip to buy in 2014/15/16. I got an 8150 with a BioStar TA970 for my first PC build for like 120 dollars. Hell, the FX chips perform better today than they did at lauch to due software taking advantage of more cores. What went wrong? AMD put all of their chips on multicore performance, and the dealer wasn't spitting that kind of fire for another few hands, but they doubled down this time around and hit it big.

it's just another technology to early. there used to be graphics cards that were capable of handling shader objects but that was in 90s. they flopped, 20 years later it's industry standard

It's shit IPC for a 32nm chip, but FX clocks really high, so it works for old games, nowadays you'll want to run all 8 of them because of multithreaded apps.

I got $5 in free stock from Samsung Pay and I invested it into AMD. How long until I get rich you reckon?

Attached: 2018-04-25-163305_3840x2160_scrot.png (2226x2007, 218K)

>What went wrong?
Well let's look?

realworldtech.com/jaguar/

AMD is in a really good place right now, I wish I had bought AMD stock right before ryzen came out.

>"Why did this CPU with worse IPC than the generation before it suck?"
OP pls.

Bulldozer.

>wanted to do this because I was a zen believer
>didn't because poorfag
LOL

The AMD FX was a great chip, just not in MUH GAYMES. It was as fast as the i7 when you can get all cores rocking, at a much lower price. Even today, you can mine crypto better on an AMD FX than you can on Sandyvag or Ivyvag.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still buy the AMD FX.

Attached: 1258512453100.jpg (287x290, 15K)

I'm actually mad disappointed I didn't get the 8350 in late 2012 when it was hot, would've stayed relevant as the newest AMD CPU for 5 years, which is an awesome life span,, and if your board died in 2016 or so you could still keep your same processor cause they still made boards, and the later wave of 990FX boards were awesome anyway because they needed to support the 9590.

Hell no, I'd still go for 2600k -> 5820k -> 2700x every time. Bulldozer a shit.

I love my ryzen, no doubt, but my FX is still making me profits today. Inlel's tiny caches just can't compete. With jews, you lose!

>Why else would you buy a fucking i3
Because I was a student? I can buy a 1950x rig right now, but I prefer to go to a trip abroad this year and buy the rig in 2019.

another guy who just woke up after 7 year coma.

>poster said no it can't run 5ghz on air
>another poster said can because his runs on 4.4ghz

I don't know bruh, you two seems like the two idiots arguing at the coffee shops all the time.

Yest my CPU is running at 4.4 but I've got crazy low temps, and my VRM isn't even trying. It is capable of 5GHz on air, wouldn't recommend it because buying a DH-14 is fucking stupid, but it will do it.

fag

You both aren't wrong because hitting 5ghz isn't a guarentee but also not totally impossible. But to say it guarentee to hit 5ghz stable will not be true. I own an two FX machines until i gave them away when the 990 board died and replaced with a 760, fuckers are hot but gives bang of buck for it's time.

Core 2 CPU's actually have decent IPC, even by todays standards.