Why do they keep calling it Linux at the point when there isn't even any Linux inside?

Why do they keep calling it Linux at the point when there isn't even any Linux inside?

Attached: 1524463607113.png (1029x798, 129K)

>SLES on Windows
butwhy.jpg

Why do they call it Windows when my case doesn't even have one?

As a brainlet windows user, what would the point of this be? Why would I want Linux on Windows?

Developers

Why SLES is free tho
Developers are smart enough to use VM, or use GNU as daily driver.

>Linux without the advantages of using Linux

what

It's Linux#
Linux without the bad parts (Linux).

Isn't this shit all of GNU and none of Linux?

What did you just say?

Attached: 1524365845047.jpg (540x405, 61K)

I dual boot. Then I'm not tempted to play games while I'm working.. n vice versa

Word, mixing the two = procrastination hell.

Because "Linux" is the OS you get when you combine Linux kernel with GNU.
Thus, achieving the virtually same result while omitting the Linux kernel still results in a Linux OS.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1494611423154.jpg (294x400, 32K)

You're wrong and nobody gives a shit, you trashy fucking hippie.

>Developers are smart enough to use VM, or use GNU as daily driver.
A brainlet indeed.

Using any Unix-like environment as your "daily driver" is massively detrimental to your productivity, as there isn't a single Unix-like that's as optimized for being used as a desktop OS as Windows is. macOS pretends it is, but it really isn't.
Unless, of course, by "daily driver" you're implying a purely work-focused machine that's repeating all the same shit over and over again - then Unix-likes will perform just fine.
VMs are inferior to WSL for the things WSL can actually do, meaning pretty much everything not kernel-related. And given you should really just boot into the OS if you want to touch the kernel - WSL is just straight up better in everything that matters.
It had considerable I/O problems compared to VMs, but I'm no longer seeing this problem in the 1803 version, in terms of using all the other resources WSL is much better than any VM. Bonus points for seamless integration with all the other Windows services you might be using if you're already working on Windows.
Performance-wise WSL can't be compared to actually dual-booting, but in many cases the performance disadvantage would be way below the level that could affect your work (like, say, running a Rails server), yet the perks of getting a Windows desktop and all the services that come with it are a very good trade-off.

Of course, all of that assumes you aren't a retarded NEET who screams "muh botnet" and "muh telemetry" every time he sees Windows, but are actually employed and know what operating systems are used for, including the fucking macOS I personally hate but have to work with regardless.

What happens when you combine Linux and Android?

Attached: 1518442487538.jpg (806x938, 337K)

Android is a Linux distribution.

Do gnu and android is just linux, developed by linus torvalds?

>Do gnu and android is just linux
what

But he's right, though.

Because Microsoft has provided an implementation of Linux-compatible kernel interfaces via NT drivers. It can run any distribution, GNU or not, that can work with the subset of the Linux kernel interface that they implement.

Attached: wsl.png (1469x785, 111K)

But it doesn't run linux.

It emulates linux so its linux.

It's a substitute for Linux. Like the original image shows, Linux distributions can run on WSL instead of the genuine Linux kernel.

So since busybox emulates gnu, it's basically (for non gnu/linux distros) emulated gnu/emulated linux, or short: Ulster GNU/Linux.

Your turn.

Gtfo with ur shit. It's KT doing the work,yes with a translator, but UT's STOL NT, not Linux.

Fuck you. I have to use Windows at work and it's the furthest thing from a productive system. I'd switch to Linux immediately if it was up to me, but every little change takes years in corporate world and changing the whole system is never happening. Only people who use Windows for gaymes think it's fast and awesome. In corporate world with Active Directory, Azure and group policies it's slow as shit and nothing works. That's why people actually have to try rebooting their workstation first when it bugs out somehow. Even in current year it actually fixes things, that's how unstable it is. Windows is practically a curse word now and there's no point in dragging it around when Linux is better in every single aspect.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

WSL isn't Linux. They should call these distributions GNU/WIL.

Hey there, retard. How's your day going, knowing you have no fucking idea what you're talking about?
Unlike your sorry retarded ass, I'm working on Win10 with Ubuntu on WSL, macOS High Sierra, and CentOS 6 on the several most recent projects.
I've been using Win7, Ubuntu and OSX for the older projects.
I fucking developed in UWP and ASP.NET for Azure, you shitty prick.

Windows does not require "reboots when it bugs out somehow" because it "bugs out somehow" extremely rarely - macOS has way, way more issues than Win10 or a stable Win7.
What Windows requires is an adequate fucking user who knows what he's doing, and you evidently are not and do not.
Were you at least once in your fucking life to put any other OS under heavy load and see how it handles it in comparison to Windows, you wight've stopped saying autistic bullshit. Alas, you still have no fucking idea what you're talking about, let alone of "how to use Windows so it works".

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

> It works for me, so it must be working for everyone
Retard

Go backwards to reddit.

Windows is the worst OS there is, deal with it retard. I don't care what kind of shitty code you develop so you can stop blogposting right from the start. In a real corporate world with thousands of users there's buggy group policies and synchronization problems every single day, multiple times per day. People are instructed to reboot the workstation before contacting helpdesk because it fixes that shitty system most of the time. This is the actual reality, not your little weekend project experience. The fact that you even said "extremely rarely" shows that you have no idea.

It works for everyone who isn't a retard, now think what that makes you.
>I have no idea what I'm talking about
>I also have no arguments
I got that the first time, user, no need to repeat yourself.

basically

Do you have peer reviewed sources to back up your claims, or is it just your opinion based on anecdotal stuff?
>he was too dumb to into leenux
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>being this BTFO'd
Yeah your arguments sure look better. I like the way you tackled the... no, wait. You didn't. You skipped the whole thing because there was nothing you could counter there and then resorted to "y-you don't know what you're talking about". Have fun sucking the Microsoft dick while you still can, it's not going to last forever. All the MS code is written by Pajeets now which you are probably as well. That's why nothing works like it should. Of course some tiny startup has fewer (if any) problems but the big corporations are the true stress testers where the shitty code gets exposed. Your tiny brain just can't comprehend that difference.

GNU is Linux

>literally "no you" surrounded by buzzwords

Windows is dogshit for retarded users, who are abandoning it for Chromebooks or mobileshit, and for advanced users, who typically prefer some form of *nix. What you're left with is the mushy middle of gaymers and office drone corporate workstations. The second the few remaining big vendors like Autodesk and Adobe realize they can wrap up an application and WINE in a Flatpak and call their Linux port done, Windows is finished.

>wine is basically windows

Attached: 1510606404332.jpg (430x304, 36K)

At this point it's easier for me to just tell you to read it again but slower, instead of me spoonfeeding it more. You still avoided the topic and hoped no one would notice. Well it has been noticed so you failed.

user, you have no idea what you are talking about and it's very-very obvious. You can stop projecting your insecurities onto others ^;)

How ironic.

So Wine is NT and kFreeBSD is also Linux.

go smile in the mirror you might be stroking out

LINKEKS BTFO

So is there anymore reason to stay in linux? when windows have everything?

>Why do they keep calling it Linux at the point when there isn't even any Linux inside?
Because Microsoft is trying tyring to co-opt the positive image of Linux as seen by the public. It's form of free publicity/propaganda.

In theory it sounds great. However in my and pretty much everyone else's experience, it is better to just run a VM.

Both os will work on the same storage. i would prefer it rather than alt tabbing switching windows to linux

Attached: inline2.jpg (2560x1440, 691K)

>just run a VM.
VMs are just worse than WSL in 95% of cases.

I've got the debian one at the moment and I like it a lot.
Like the other poster said, it's easier to develop on Linux than Windows. The subsystem is also surprisingly feature-filled, if you install an X-server in Windows you can launch GUIs for Linux apps.
It's less hassle than a VM or dualbooting and likely has better performance than a VM. Only thing I don't like is how hard it is to get audio to work.

>Using any Unix-like environment as your "daily driver" is massively detrimental to your productivity, as there isn't a single Unix-like that's as optimized for being used as a desktop OS as Windows is.
Windows is just shit, that is more distractive with its crappy updates, than shittiest GNU/Linux distro with xorg meme.
I've potato computer, so Windows is not needed, since there are no games that really require it. VM and Wine does play all games, that are supported by potato.

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

This is like saying WINE is Windows.

Can we reverse-engineer WSL to run NT on Linux?

*sweats*

Isn't Wine just that?
>Windows is just shit, that is more distractive with its crappy updates, than shittiest GNU/Linux distro with xorg meme.
Normally I would've called you a retard, but I can see from where you're coming.
Modern Win10 is not intrusive unless you're autistic about preventing it from working.
I've been running Insider (which implies me having zero control over the updates) on my dev machine (for better WSL functionality) for over a year already, and currently I never have issues with the updates - they never disturb my workflow, I'm never forced to do shit or restart unless I personally want to do it. And I haven't ever used the "defer updates" function.
Even like 10 months ago all the issues I had with the updates were limited to "I turn on my PC and I have to wait 10 minutes for all the updates to finish installing" which happened to me like once, maybe twice.

But Wine is Windows on Linux.

It's Linux but for people that don't want to part with the botnet.

>Same reason no sane person says GNU anything.
Linux is a catchy name.

Attached: ling.png (752x268, 119K)

Windows subsystem for Linux FUCKING WHEN

Yea, Microsoft, what the fuck. We are sick of wine, we neel LSW

Just why it should update automatically? Why I can't do it manually, when I really can, not when this shit wants?

The GNU project made a mistake with the name. Sure, GNU and HURD and clever acronyms, but nobody but the nerdiest of nerds care about that.

Even "Alyx" would've been a better name, although kinda inappropriate, considering she broke up with Stallman 30 years ago.

Notice how more people and companies say 'the GPL license', not 'GNU license' or 'GNU GPL license'.

EEE baby
The MS fanbois are loving it and baiting you hard ITT.

Literally wine

Because the creator of Linux named it Linux.

Attached: its_linux_1565.jpg (400x400, 88K)

Heartly kek

>it's easier to develop on Linux
Then install fucking Linux duh

>insert 'doesn't afraid of anything' meme

except wine fucking sucks for gaymin, i want something official

Then complain to Microsoft for not providing their source code

Because the whole point of updating is "staying up to date". It isn't "up to date" if you are never updating.
You can make Win10 ignore all but critical updates by simply setting your network as metered. I had my Win10 laptop running for months that way but I had to do that because the laptop had a motherboard failure that prevented it from turning back on properly after a reboot - not because of "muh comfortable muh no updates muh"

It's not technically emulation.

Did Stallman ever reply and put that crypto Swede in his place?

WSL is already here.
You want LSW.

BTFO

Works on my machine

It's fake you fucking newfag cattle.

Can I run WINE on WSL?

Attached: 1522995700485.png (1920x1080, 2.16M)

Elaborate on the X-Server bit. I fiddled around with the Ubuntu Subsystem when this first came out but the application I used, uh Xming I think, couldn't really do jack shit and crashed all the time.

Attached: windholes.png (1029x798, 112K)

They are executing the plan: embrace, extend, extinguish

>"smart linux users"
>this picture
You had BTFO'd yourself, friend.

freetard cringe, nice

Cause GNU is about freedoms. Proprietary cattle dislikes freedom.

that's smart, it's what I wanted to do
then I realized that I must use my computer for the browser and keep at least 50 tabs opened at all times and sometimes for months, so I'd lose that

just store the fuckin session

Attached: 1524605998645s.jpg (250x193, 6K)

Not really, kido
he call it freeax
his friend call it Linux

Attached: 1450659832892s.jpg (250x221, 10K)

>keep at least 50 tabs opened at all times and sometimes for months
I will never understand these people. Bookmarks are as old as Netscape and they still doesn't know how to use them.

Managing bookmarks is not hard at all and you can "sync" them beetween OS's and even devices. Why do you people not using it.
There are no advantages of not closing tabs.

Todays bookmarks are even smarter and can store "the place" were you were on a site. No scrolling, no nothing, same.

Reloading site is no argument unless you are on a fucking 65kbs and it's impossible even in my poor country to still have as little.

not him, but i used to use bookmarks in netscape
nowadays there's hardly a need, tabs come down to 3 categories for me;
1. tabs which i'm using or will come back to (short term), these i leave open
2. things i (might) come back to (long term), these i just recall and match history. history access is convenient enough now to use like i used to use bookmarks back in the netscape days
3. like above, but particularly hard to find or remember for whatever reason, these i bookmark. there's very few of them
one thing that makes it feasable to have lots of tabs open that aren't used possibly for days, is that firefox can unload tabs, making the tab list more of a 'quick access' area than a 'open tabs' area
kind of like having a stack of paper on your desk. you're not looking at the pages right now, but they're not quite ready to be put back into the filing cabinet

>smart
>freetards

Attached: 1502211293492.png (250x237, 34K)