Samsung ready to launch 970 series SSD

Can intel just stop getting BTFO, its almost cruel at this point, first they lost coffee lake, now they lost optane.

wccftech.com/samsung-970-pro-970-evo-nvme-ssds-announced/
news.samsung.com/us/samsung-970-pro-970-evo-nvme-ssds/
techspot.com/news/74297-samsung-introduces-970-pro-evo-series-nvme-ssds.html

Attached: SSD-970-PROlEVO_Family-ver.2-737x400.jpg (737x400, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gartner.com/newsroom/id/3872763
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

isn't the 900p still better at latency and random read/write tho?

no

prove it then

Its not, nand has less layers but its way cheaper.

>Can intel just stop getting BTFO, its almost cruel at this point, first they lost coffee lake, now they lost optane.
Intel also seem to have lost their no. 1 semiconductor vendor crown to Samsung, which they had held for like 25 years. They're apparently likely to regain it next year, though.
gartner.com/newsroom/id/3872763

Yes to both.
Doesn't really Help Intel though, since about 3 people will buy the 900p and several million will buy a 970Pro.
I'd buy a the 970 Pro over a 900P.

I'd get both and use that caching thing AMD released

No point in buying both for that if you're going to shell out for a 900p.

You'd buy a 970Pro because it has a semi-reasonable pricetag and the best performance from NAND, period.
900p is for a few niche edge cases and people with more money than sense.

the 900p is a great scratch disk but it's too small for main drive though

480GB isn't enough?

I know you'll laugh, but I have a bunch of games I want to install, I mess around with VMs and transcode stuff sometimes
I'd need at least 1TB along with an external NAS for mass storage to do these things comfortably
but you're probably right, the 900p would probably not make a difference on the stuff I usually do

Games, transcoding, etc don't need to run on a 900p, that's literally more money than sense tier.
Neither will benefit from anything better than a SATA 860Pro.

Isn’t the Kingston KC1000 a better deal than the 970 EVO? It uses only MLC and has no SLC cache.

>Kingston KC1000
No, Kingston makes shitty drives in general.

I'd buy 900p if there were good legacy PCIE4x to modern M.2 adapters or the 900p was available as M2 (because of mITX mobo). They only have 280GB model with a shitty M2-U2 adapter.

900p still wins if you have new intel cpu.

You don't need an Intel CPU to run Optane - you only need it for Intel's multi-tier cache system (AMD has their own version now, which also works with Optane and is useful for the 16/32GB m.2 drives)
Does your ITX board not have a U.2 port?

how's the performance compared to the 800 series?

>2016: 960 Pro - max 2 TB on 48-layer MLC
>2018: 970 Pro - max 1 TB on 64-layer MLC

KOREAN DEFINITION OF PROGRESS

fucking trash

Why should I buy a pro instead of an evo?

>2 bits per cell vs 3 bits per cell

So longevity and speed. In any real scenarios for normal people (even if your pc runs 24/7) you won't notice a difference and both models will outlive any other of your drives (especially hdds). So just buy what's cheaper or bigger capacity.

Wasn't optane dead on arrival?

The more layers the bigger the fire

The initial m.2 drives, yes
They were exceptionally low latency (over 1000 quicker than NAND) but had poor throughput and cost almost as much as a 120/240GB SSD (for 16/32GB Optane respectively)
Optane 900p is a full scale drive though - it's faster than any other nvme drive on the market in both latency and throughput.
It's twice the price though and unless you can really justify the low latency (you've got to be doing some very specific workloads), it's really not worth the extra money over a 960Pro 512GB (no idea how 970Pro will perform, it's not out yet)

If you've got unlimited money and it's really burning a hole in your pocket, buy the 900p.
If you've got too much money and it's itching in your pocket, buy a 960Pro or wait for 970Pro
If you want the best for the best value buy 960Evo or WD Black (Don't buy the WD at SRP/RRP, they aren't worth it, but they're usually on sale for 30-40% off)

WHERE'S MY FUCKING Z-NAND REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: b49.gif (828x828, 1.09M)