Open source Discord alternatives:

I seem to remember there was an open source Discord alternative that was effectively a clone, or am I just dreaming?

Attached: not_discord.png (900x900, 161K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.sapphire.moe/2018/introducing-tavrn-tap/
rocket.chat/privacy
banter.city!
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Riot.im/matrix?

Riot is compromised

blog.sapphire.moe/2018/introducing-tavrn-tap/

Open source Discord clone in the works. It's looking very strong right now.

Elaborate

how so?
riot is just an interface for matrix

>blog.sapphire.moe/2018/introducing-tavrn-tap/
Yup, I think that might be the done. Thanks, user.
Glad to know I'm not crazy.

Attached: 1af.jpg (680x771, 107K)

Who cares, nobody is going to use it anyway.

Does it protect information away from the (((ADL))).

Tox

IRC you faggot.

Nice bait!

Attached: 748cc2a98c73153f4408ad0c200903baimagepng.png (478x475, 256K)

Second this.

How come all you kiddos have forgotten? It still works perfectly, just no faggy features.

>hard to use
>just text, no voice chat or images
>leaks your IP
no thanks

Lemme guess, Jow Forums said so?

Just read riot's privacy policy

>Text only
>Have to be connected at all times to receive messages (bouncers are gay)
>PITA to run own server
It's simple, yes, but it's the FTP of messaging
t. Former IRC user

>Only applies when using their server
Well no shit Sherlock; not running own server = compromised

>hard to use
lol brainlet
>just text, no voice chat or images
And thats a good thing!
also you can just upload images somewhere
>leaks your IP
Yeah, thats the only flaw I can agree with, ehh, i would love to use IRC but because of this my autism is screeching so hard it breaks glass
But if they are doing this in any way then they ARE compromised, lol

How is lacking voice chat a good thing?

Because no one hears my virgin voice

>text only
what

Just continue using Jabber

>But if they are doing this in any way then they ARE compromised, lol
...no?
>Stores browser information
Wow, client information/version stored on server when connecting. Part of the protocol.
>Stores chats
It has history...
>Stores room you're in
Uhh... protocol...

You're fucking retarded. Everything that they """collect""" is just part of the protocol. It's stored in the matrix db and not sent directly by the clients to them in any way. The only problem is them being under UK jurisdiction which you either put up with because it's a free service or host your own like a proper Jow Forumsentooman.

Fucking shill kys

Be nice to her

surprised no one said tox (qtox client, antox for android)

development is slow but active. you can use it over tor for max privacy

What's the problem with Discord exactly?

i use tox but have 0 friends
one joined after I made efforts to convince him to drop jewbook, but didn't last for long

well tox isn't really a replacement for kikebook, it's an IM replacement

i use tox for things i dont want kikes knowing about and other things for things i dont mind sharing.

otherwise just keep using and promoting it. it'll eventually catch on with people who have a demand for something for it.

chinese botnet

Discord is computationally bloated, the performance of the program compared to alternative is garbage. It is full of bugs and lacks features that the users care about, but the developers do not, and will therefore never implement or fix. It is closed source, which is a privacy issue, but also, due to being closed source, users are incapable of adding features or fixing bugs that they care about without relying on external applications like BetterDiscord, something that should not have to exist in the first place, and that is a direct downgrade from the original product being as good as Better. Without using external programs like BetterDiscord, the interface is not customizable in the slightest, and the defaults are garbage. The keybindings are not customizable (You can see them with ctrl+/). Otherwise, it uses server-based communications, which I dislike due to the factor of authority involved. A server admin can arbtrarily ban you or do any number of disruptive actions that separate you from your associates, things that could never be done when using direct communications like sms.

Off of the top of my head those are all of the problems I can see with discord.

>all the combined autism of paranoid freetards gets contained into notDiscord
i welcome this

Discord also has an extremely restrictive terms of use, which prevent many groups from freely using it, and commonly censors media that it dislikes for reasons outside of the already restrictive terms of use. Beyond my own dislike for server-based communications, the fact that Discord is incapable of using non-discord owned servers is ridiculous.
I'm practicing writing, I'm really bad at it.

Basically all of the features of BetterDiscord are for basic usability, like interface customization. They don't really solve the problems that freetards have with Discord.

How do you know the code is exactly what it shows on the “open” source? Unless you read every single line you can’t be certain. You’re also using hardware and an operating system that is unsure unless you read bit for bit, electron by electron.

Don't worry anons, Ill make a decentralized, open source alternative that has built in encryption for all communication, just give me a few months.

Attached: hiyajo maho.png (861x1213, 564K)

>I don't know what the GPL license is the post

open-source is the least of my concerns, sasuga Jow Forums to immediately jump on the least important point in two paragraphs of text.

off-site chat groups is still faggotry

>the interface is not customizable in the slightest
the reason why this is blatantly false ties in neatly with your very first sentence.

>off-site chat groups
There is so much wrong with this sentence. What the fuck is off-site supposed to mean? Are you insinuating that Jow Forums is somehow a default in telecommunications?
One of the key features of BetterDiscord is css interface customization, I don't think that would be a feature if Discord already had it.
I don't really know what you mean, unless you think theme:light/dark, message_display:cozy/compact, chat_font_scaling:80-150, zoom_level:50-200 consitutes interface customization.
Can you at the least show what you mean instead of using the lowest form of counter-argument in existance: the contradiction?

IRC

>enable e2e encryption
>you're safe even on their servers
It's too difficult, I know.

The reason it's a bloated piece of shit is because of electron i.e. just chrome browsing prepackaged discord website. Since it is chrome you can just open devtools with ctrl+shift+i and edit shit however you want.

Betterdiscord just makes that process slightly less aids. Or maybe the same amount of aids idk. I don't use it.

You have to enable it? Why isn't it enabled by default?

That lowers my opinion of discord even further, to have have such a stupid reason be behind Discord's complete lack of performance.
But looking through that, it does seem that the entirety of the interface is just a website, which while repulsive, is obviously customizable, so I was wrong there.

now that's just sad and waste of dubs.

Mumble self hosted open source has android client , life is good TM

Because not everyone needs it. Performance is a priority to the majority.

The performance impact is minimal, security should be enabled by default because people are dumb and will forget to enable it.

>people are dumb and will forget to enable it.
So they don't need it then. Anyone who does wouldn't forget to enable encryption.

RocketChat

Private hosting, and open source.

>So they don't need it then.
Nice try NSA.

I believe on you user because the dubs.

>sapphire account
Why should I trust these guys?

Trying to use their sites but having to sit here and allow cloudflare and googleapis

>HTTP
>WebRTC

Attached: disg.png (473x488, 188K)

>RocketChat

rocket.chat/privacy

But anyone could host their own Riot instance...

What about TeamSpeak? Isn't that still a thing?

Then it's same as Telegram

I appricate all the open source and secure options. But none of my friends has them. And I don't want to be a dick and demand that they get it.

Don't demand them to switch over, but encourage them to try out the alternatives.

Join us in matrix over at banter.city!

I'll make the logo

This

Yep, mumble is avaible, still it vcould REALLY use more polishing.

Jesus you faggots post this thread every day?

You FOSS shills should take notes from Discord and advertise your vapourware properly or it will stay as vapourware, I'll continue to use Discord to talk to my FRIENDS instead of lying to everyone about data harvesting ok sweetie.