Where should I focus upgrades on my PC

I got some extra cash from working overtime for a few weeks. I was considering updating my PC. When I first built it, My goal was to build a PC that could play most games at about 60 FPS on medium to high settings. Now I am starting to have trouble with newer games I think. I have no idea how optimization of the game plays into any of this. Anyway, here are my specs. I was thinking I should FOR SURE get a good SSD but I am not sure which size. I was thinking like 300GB range. I was also considering a new processor but just how important is a processor in terms of gaming? I think my graphics card is okay for what my aim is so I probably won't upgrade that. Also, motherboard.. do I need a new one?

Side question: In terms of processors, are stock fans always garbage even if you don't overclock?

Attached: speccy(updated).png (659x519, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EsBT4XtFn08
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

Cooling

ssd

is that it really? Is my processor okay? Like how much of a difference between a processor that is 3.30 ghz vs one that is like 4.2 or 4.0 ghz?

I'll be this guy. There's more to processors than clock speeds. The 4590 has a higher IPC than a ryzen chip IIRC. Also you can boost the absolute shit out of a 4590, upwards towards 5 ghz

just get an ssd op, its all fine.
haswell doesnt have higher ipc compared to ryzen

I see. So in your opinion, the processor I have now is okay? Also just how much do SSDs help with gaming? I am just trying to figure out how best to spend my cash. Not trying to be frugal but I don't want to buy something that I would barely notice a difference on.

Haswell i5's are perfectly fine for gaming. I wouldn't change a thing.

>SSD
I recommend an Samsung 960 Pro, 512GB, in your M.2 slot, you really don't have a terabyte or more of stuff that needs to be accessed at SSD speeds.

>RAM
DDR3 is cheap, get the full 32GB of DDR3 1600mhz that your board supports.

>HDDs
You have a desktop, probably have room and power for at least four 3.5" disks, get four 2TB 7200RPM SATA III disks, put them in a mirrored array, and back up anything and everything in your now bottomless pit of redundant storage.

You can boil water on that southbridge and you're wondering what needs fixed?

Thanks a lot for the info. This actually was very helpful and i appreciate that.

Side question: how can you tell if a game is unoptimized? I tried playing battletech and it runs semi shitily ontop of crashing sometimes.

>battletech
No idea about that game, lots of games are a total ratfuck before the third or fourth patch

If the fps isn't limited and your GPU isn't getting 95%+ utilized it's unoptimized.

The difference is small, which is sad when comparing the release times of the chips. Also like I said, the 4590 can hit 5ghz.
Imagine if frame drops from loading resources while roaming the world in video games disappeared. SSD's do pretty close to that.

Better get a 2600X. 2700X is nice but expensive, not really worth for just gaming. Your GPU looks relatively fine.

Think of a 500 GB 960 EVO, depending on the budget, they should be on sale soon (970 release).

And yes, Intels fans are garbage, AMDs depend on the model. The Ryzen 7 series have pretty decent coolers considering they are free, especially the new 2700X cooler.

Attached: 4.2 ghz.jpg (611x606, 70K)

No hijack - but I'm also running hot and can't figure why.

Attached: Screenshot (23).jpg (712x524, 239K)

can you feel intense heat radiating from anywhere specific on the motherboard? I don't know where that sensor is located, but it's probably not reading the correct temp.

Cheers dude, nope no excessive heat at all. Like you say must be the sensor.

Could you speak on over clocking? How does it work exactly and what do you need for things to be safe while doing it?

youtube.com/watch?v=EsBT4XtFn08

LOL your monitor sucks video related. I dunno, maybe 1440p 27" or 240Hz either way the rest of the computer can use it. And I suspect your sound is a 3$ CM108 disaster. Re-enable onboard sound.

I had not even thought about my monitor. It's crazy how little I know about my computer and I am the one that put it together. Also, how can you tell my sound is fucked up? Like what's the dead giveaway? Granted, I wouldn't know what shit sound sounds like.

Detect any sarcasm in my post? Monitor is really not so bad for the price, its IPS. But you could usefully run a better monitor in directions of fps or resolution, or use the RX 480 HDMI audio (through monitor outputs)

I see now. Whoops! Also, what are your thoughts on sound cards? A friend told me that sound cards are useful but I am not sure if it's worth.

>sound cards
Sure, if you're doing audio work like recording.
Otherwise just buy a nice USB connected headset.