Tfw fell for the Ubuntu meme

tfw fell for the Ubuntu meme.
>keep hearing all the shiller everyday talking about how Linux is better than windows.finally decided to give it a try.
>installation itself constantly freezes, had to search the net just to find a work around for that. and the PC specs has to match.
>finally installed Ubuntu 16.04. looks okay, but still a lot of messed up stuff. mouse sensitivity is too fast, where are my drives? why is the close/minimise button on the left? 70% of the short cut keys doesn't work. and no battery bar display,
>try installing something, unlike windows there is no installer for any of the files. EVERY file i want to install has to be dealt with differently in the terminal, and still with bunch of errors. so i will never know if i had a successful installation or not.
>try turning my pc off. it froze again; no idea how to fix this either. from now on i can only turn my pc off manually.
>relog into windows. everything slows down to a crawl. opening an app or searching for a file now takes 45 second longer.
how do i kill myself?

Attached: 1458769345693.jpg (633x758, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak
github.com/exaile/exaile.git
youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You could try not being a shitlord and go to a LUG for help.

>I'm too brainlet to learn something new
>new things scare me
>why can't everything be the same

Attached: were-you-born-this-retarded-or-did-your-mom-make-paint-chip-casserole-on-tuesdays.jpg (884x498, 38K)

Linux is for people who like computers themselves. If you want to get shit done OR don't care about computers don't do it.

You sound like you cook from kits so it tastes right the first time and you never have to experiment.

Try installing on a computer instead of a laptop.
Haven't you heard? This is the year of the linux desktop.

>Ubuntu
>16.04
Wew lad...

>EVERY file i want to install has to be dealt with differently in the terminal
>EVERY file i want to install
>file
>install

a fucking 9 year old can install and configure linux better than you
also
>ubuntu

>tfw fell for the debian meme
>install x, i3, compton, synaptics drivers
>boots instantly
>everything just werks

Attached: smugjak.png (724x611, 83K)

Linux definitely has its many flaws, but you can't fault it for not having identical UX to windows.

That being said, the only thing worse than Linux is its community. Good luck learning how to use an unintuitive operating system while being ridiculed for using the only distro with up to date support documents and any effort put into usability. No one wants you to use Linux, they just want to tell you that you're inferior for not using their distro, there's a difference. Once you get used to it, it's passable at most tasks, it only excels at being a good development environment. That's not really anything to brag about since Windows and Mac both are just as good at that though.

Hey, user, I would blame Ubuntu on this one, not Linux. In my three months of experience, Ubuntu fucking blows. I dual-booted it onto my laptop because I'd always ever had Windows and all I'd ever heard about Ubuntu was that it was "Linux for dummies". Now granted I knew plenty of shell commands and I'm a CS major who's had IT classes and who enjoys fucking around with computers, so this really wasn't a . Now there are some things about Linux I dislike, like the fact that, instead of just installing a downloaded program through an installation manager, you have to manually pull packages from repositories in the shell.

But anyway, my experience with Ubuntu. I dual-booted it onto my Windows laptop after having used it as a virtual machine to make sure I liked it. The installation process was clean. It took me a while, but I got the interface customized enough that I was content (base Ubuntu looks hideous as far as I'm concerned.) Now at this point I was already having issues. Ubuntu took like three minutes to boot up for some reason. I had to install a customization tool just for very basic customization. And stupid, insignificant things would randomly break and I'd have to find a fix for it.

But then one day, for no reason, all of my customization was reversed and, for whatever reason, I couldn't get it back just right despite doing the same things I'd done before. So finally, after three months and some change I said "fuck it". I'm decently technically proficient, and every single thing I did on Ubuntu could've been done in half the time on Windows. Is part of that because I'm more proficient with Windows? Absolutely. Is part of that because Ubuntu fucking sucked? Absolutely. So I uninstalled it, but the boot menu it created still lingered around. So I just had to delete that entire partition.

Still, there are other distros I hear work better. Maybe Mint, for example. Either way, it'll be a while before I do another three-month romp with Linux.

Wasn't a big deal for me*

Because I can't finish sentences.

>too stupid to use an operating system designed to be user-friendly
>OMG HOW DO I KILL MYSELF REEEEE
I hate these fucking posts.

Seems you chose that piece of shit GNOME 16 Ubuntu over the god tier Unity 17 Ubuntu.

Also you are not a brainlet OP just a newb, we were all once newbs. The fact you've installed linuxputs you in the top ten percentile of this board of fucktards.

My advice is to persist. How about you try installing this dogshit and installing Kubuntu or Ubuntu MATE instead? It's an easier .iso to install and from there you can graduate to debian after you learn the basics.

Watch this OP: youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak

and remember to persist persist persist

Attached: feels-good-man-cool-7969876.png (500x522, 114K)

learn how to use a computer

wow a helpful vid-
>7 hours video

Attached: 1420673337220.jpg (500x769, 74K)

>graduate to debian
other than internet points in desktop threads and a smug attitude, what is the motivation to install Debian over Ubuntu?

Also Ubuntu runs like a beast on my old ass T430s, a perfect environment for a CS student only $200 on ebay.

wait 24 hours or whatever and get in on that 18.04 release party

Stability

Yes but it's a complete concise course in Linux basics. Learn to get gud

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-25 22-50-48.png (1152x864, 280K)

custom-ability, stability, non-chimp distro name

Just give it up OP. Linux fags are delusional as hell, they will never admit the fault of their shitty indian tier OS. They will always try to blame the end user no matter how flat out broken the OS/application is.

Also, sounds like a bad harddrive.

>stability
As in consistency in API and library versions or volatility of software? The former is an incremental improvement met with its own set of cons. The latter is a parroted statement that has no discernible difference to a normal user

>custom-ability, non-chimp distro name
see:
>internet points and a smug attitude

Nice reddit spacing bud, I also threw up in mouth at "Internet points" FAGGOT FAG!

> TFW installing windows
> everything just spies

freedom and stability
even the testing version is pretty stable

speaking of internet points, I guess I get +1 for completely BTFOing you and leaving you speechless

>install mx linux the noobiest linux alive
>ntfs drives aren't writable have to go back into windows and disable hibernation bullshit
>390 nvidia drivers wouldn't install for some reason, forced gsync no ulmb allowed until one day it just werked
>bricked instillation for the first time trying to manually install 390
>spend an hour googling just how to install packages properly, still don't know how to do it manually or how github even fucking works.
>redshift gui doesn't work so I just edited the firefox config file to run a terminal command instead because I have no idea how to create the file myself
>get motionblur/screen tearing in firefox after spending an hour trying to fix it
>Found out there's a meme about the small icon sizes when in the file picker while googling how to make them larger
help

only funny because it's 18.04 release day

>try installing something, unlike windows there is no installer for any of the files. EVERY file i want to install has to be dealt with differently in the terminal, and still with bunch of errors. so i will never know if i had a successful installation or not.

But thats fucking wrong

thats a lot to swallow, but I'll swing.
>install mx linux
ok some kind of xfce debian I've never heard of, doesn't sound too crazy
>spend an hour googling just how to install packages properly
apt-get install INSERTPACKAGENAMEHERE
>still don't know how to do it manually
if you mean a .deb file, sudo dpkg -i PACKAGENAME.deb (-r for uninstall)

>how github even fucking works.
lets do a sample in laymans terms for exaile (audio player)-
$git clone github.com/exaile/exaile.git
$cd exaile
$make
$sudo make install
Youre just using git to clone/dl the source, have to compile via make, and install (moves binary basically and places shortcuts etc) like normal software does. In my example you would need dependencies (my guess is gcc, glibc, python-mutagen, maybe others)

>get motionblur/screen tearing in firefox after spending an hour trying to fix it
*might* be firefox, more likely it is xfce though. This is a whole subject in itself and probably the sole reason it is no longer very popular imo.

> implying linux doesn't increase productivity
Unless you need windows for a certain propietary application, there is no reason to use it. Linux is much more efficient.

What linux distro would you recommend?

having an OS that doesn't completely break on dist-upgrade

I don't think I'm in a position to recommend anything to anyone. But if someone was new, I would say ubuntu or one of its flavors, for the sole reason that it has the most help resources out there. Debian isn't too far off though. If you are the OP I was responding to, you might want to search for "nvidia xfce tearing" in google, but it can have many causes and fixes.

>not saying to do ./configure
>assuming project is using gnu make instead of scons or cmake or maak

you're not wrong, but I was trying to be reaaaal basic.

Try Debian with Cinnamon installed from the nonfree ISO if you want to have everything to just work and still never having to distrohop to some better distro. It's almost like Mint but better under the hood.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI

Idk man theres very little in linux I cant get on my riced out windows at work.

dat filename

GNOME/Linux is a total joke, I tried Ubuntu and it was barely functional.

linux is just more low level than windows, and expect its users to understand how to get EXACTLY what they want.

For this, I respect every linux user for having the competency and patience in dealing with such low level operating systems and kernels. I'm glad that there will always be the option of having fully manual control computers where you own far more control over the PC than ever, even if I always use windows anyway.

(yes I actually got ubuntu running well on my VM, and installed a cool 3D spectrogram software for decoding imagery embedded in sound files)

should've installed gentoo instead

Reddit spacing faggot

How fucking stale is this pasta that you install ubuntu 16.04 ?

Jesus christ
Where the fuck do we even start?

Attached: 1507078056361.png (657x539, 110K)

>>try installing something, unlike windows there is no installer for any of the files. EVERY file i want to install has to be dealt with differently in the terminal, and still with bunch of errors. so i will never know if i had a successful installation or not.
What the fuck are you doing, that is not how you install software.
RTFM

>>relog into windows. everything slows down to a crawl. opening an app or searching for a file now takes 45 second longer.
That is not how computers work.

They only react that way when you make shitty provocative threads in attempt for some guy to help you after calling you a retard first.

WTF GEEEE, THE EASIEST DISTROS TO INSTALL ARE NOW GRADUATE TIER.

REEEEEEEEEE

>inb4 Arch kiddie

FUCK ARCH WITH THE FORCE OF A THOUDABD SUNS

Distros that aren't ez to install in no particular order:
>slackware
>gentoo
>linix from scratch