Anyone else think IRC may become big again due to discords censorship and data mining

With discords banning of notsobot and notsosuper (the bots creator), alot of discord servers i'm in are moving over to IRC or mumble. I'm glad people now notice that they are as bad as twitter or facebook for censorship.

Attached: 1524046640584.jpg (618x401, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/169419015/
github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/1936
github.com/vector-im/riot-meta/issues/132
github.com/nylira/prism-break/pull/1953
riot.im/
integrityfirstforamerica.org/sites/default/files/First Amended Complaint - AS FILED.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

based

Attached: sk2tQcs.png (1080x99, 97K)

Any recommended Freenode channels?
>inb4 #gentoo

Let's hope not, discord was the best thing that ever happened to irc, driving out the disgusting normie filth.

I host my own channel and network on my VPS

Good for you user. You should feel good about yourself.

Thanks user

Been running an inspIRCd server for a while, wrote a bunch of modules for encryption, privacy and integration with other services like a mailbox that ties with an email address, private messages while offline, and a few others. Added a web scraper, a crypto tracker/wallet checker, lots of shit.
IRC never died, it just became more niche.

I use Telegram, so do all my online friends and gf

whats notsobot?

Where is the evidence?

ive never been in an irc room that wasn't boring as shit and dead for at least 5 hours at a time

Long time IRC/Ventrillo/TeamSpeak/Mumble user here that still uses IRC on a daily basis.

It won't happen. A bunch of years ago I lost IRC friends to Facebook, which has been countlessly criticized for the privacy issues it poses, and none of them ever came back.

For the last 4 years the channels I go to have lost many users thanks to things like Slack, Discord, Gitter, Git.im and others. None of those people ever log in on IRC unless someone bugs him on the other platforms.

On the online games I used to play which are still online the people there don't even know what Ventrillo and Mumble are and just want me to joing Discord instead.

Anything without first class support for memeposting will not gain widespread acceptance in 2018.

Press F to pay respect.

Been using intertubes for 20 years and IRC is useless. Every group, just a bunch of idlers and very rarely a response. Discord is the other way around, constant spam of absolute shit and stale memes.

God I hope not, IRC is fine as it is. An influx of retarded discord users would just shit it up.

Anything you say on discord can and will be used against you in a court of law.

nobody even knows how to use an IRC client anymore

What are good discord alternatives? IRC is kinda insecure. Matrix would kinda work I guess, but maybe there is something even better?

Discord isn't going anywhere.
The paranoid people that were concerned with how much racist shit they could spout-- I mean, 'privacy', will stick to IRC, and everyone else will keep using Discord.

Pic-related.
Racist Jow Forums tard got subpoena'd by Discord.

Attached: 1524691000964.jpg (1432x957, 603K)

Matrix is the alternative and it fucking sucks

>IRC is kinda insecure
it's possible to set up an SSL-only server
not all clients will verify certs though

What's so bad about it? I've heard good things about Matrix

Surprise surprise, they banned a bot named Nogger(notsobot) that posts "epic memes xD" in some edgy pre-teen discord

Attached: 456745345.jpg (823x218, 35K)

Not wanting to sell yourself for a voice chat application isn't necessarily racist, user.
Besides, what are you doing on Jow Forums? The web is filled with hundreds of millions of sites that are politically correct, yet you complain about racism on here?

Attached: 1417977384411.jpg (553x567, 66K)

user, normies don't care about censorship and data mining unless media tell them to.

She did become a big thing

Attached: 31166881_1996161253983049_2306743522121744384_o.jpg (2048x1337, 175K)

What is this pic, sorry im not form USA

subpeona is a court thing right?

>Racist Jow Forums tard got subpoena'd by Discord
is Discord suing someone because he said NIGGER in discord or what?

>subpoena'd by discord
in the first place you have to realize you don't get subpoena'd just for saying nigger, no matter how much its frowned upon its still not illegal to say nigger. You may be committing social suicide by saying it, but the law won't be able to touch you just because you are personally racist.
So you won't get subpoena'd for saying something mean.
Also
>censorship
this isn't government, private companies can censor and do whatever they feel like. Just like Jow Forums "censors" illegal activity. Companies aren't going to be help accountable for you breaking the law. I'm willing to bet this dumbass was posting pizza on discord and is surprised he got caught.

First off companies never issue subpoena's, courts do.
And the court probably granted some other firm access to this user's info in what is probably a criminal investigation, just like apple or google would.

ive seen active irc channels and dead discord servers, you're stupid
https and json, and from my understanding not everything is client-side encrypted

>non-govermental subpoenas

This must be bait, a lawyer would destroy this shit in less than 5 minutes.

Not them and I think its bullshit for other reasons but
>we represent discord which received that attached subpoena
the message it self says the company was sub'd supposedly by the government for the information. and the message is just a heads up that they're going to comply

It's a legal request by FBI/LEA for that Discord's information.

The user participated in a Discord involved with the Charlottesville rally, which involved a car plowing into a crowd which resulted in the death of a woman. They subpoena'd everyone in that Discord channel.
So yeah, it was more than just saying 'nigger', but at the same time, we don't know exactly how much they were involved with it.

There was a thread on Jow Forums about it.
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/169419015/

That's a civil suit by a bunch of shit eating faggot antifa to access personally identifying information via the discovery process of the suit.

This means that if I have (((backers))) keeping my lawyers paid, I can utilize the courts to make all your personal information public, even if I lose the case, but it won't matter because all my journalist fellow travelers will now have access to, and pretext for, publishing all your personal information and communications.

Lawfare is like unto nothing else.

You do have to remember subpoenas in general aren't given out like candy, they had to of had reasonable reason to make the request.

sure in this case it may of been overkill, but they were also trying to solve a specific case and the information was needed and then the rest was probably dropped.

This isn't a case of somebody going to jail because they said nigger, its a case of these people had information law enforcement needed so they grabbed it.
In general this also means other acts of illegality that may have been committed that are uncovered by this subpoena aren't relevant and it would be illegal to act on this information.

If I sue you, I can subpoena anything I want, that I can plausibly claim pertains to you and the injury I claim you perpetrated upon me, and it's up to you to dispute it.

>death of a woman
barely true.
she was a liberal.

>I can subpoena anything I want
no you can't.
You can subpoena things requires for the purpose of the case, within reason. Typically its evidence that something did or didn't happen.
you can't sue me for hitting your car then subpoena my discord records, it would immediately be thrown in the trash.

Its more
>I hit your car
>you sue me
>for some dumb reason you had to subpoena the 7-11 for their video tapes as evidence I hit your car

>IRC may become big again
With whom?

>you can't sue me for hitting your car then subpoena my discord records
If my claim is that you coordinated the act with associates on discord, then I absolutely can.
And unless you dispute my motion to subpoena said records, the judge will order said records presented before the court, and Discord will comply.

I love IRC, but I wish it had some image board functionality. I rarely click image links unless they give a good reason.

This, sadly

So, give notsobot a different name and IP, and rejoin Discord. Do people not know how to fucking ban evade?

No, but a clone of discord with the same features but where every channel is it's own kingdom would probably kill it.
IRC has too much cruft to be very useful for people who aren't running their own warez servers.

Basically host your own server on your own box or a rented one, just like mumble.
That's the only way.

>reveal jewish lies
>gets (((removed)))
works like a clockwork

>saying nigger is social suicide

Well well well, looks like someone has not been down south yet

Did you know its also a common household way to refer to blacks in (all of) Switzerland, and the rural parts of Germany and Norway?

Aren't we forgetting about riot?

black people call each other niggas, not nigger. huge difference. if you call someone a nigger, you will be shot.

Anyone else think fax may become big again due to facebooks censorship and data mining.

No for a variety of reasons first off
>I can
No. Your attorney can. You cannot subpoena anything.
>I can claim
And the judge will throw it in the trash without probably reasoning behind it.

The court has to pay for subpoenas. And a subpoena isn't a matter of emailing in documents. A representative or the person in general has to personally bring the documents to court and testify. The court has to pay for their travel and hotels while there. Small claims court do not even bother to do this unless they can just phone the person in because it's not feasible.

If you attempted to pull this stunt and the judge didn't just laugh in your face and for some reason your attorney went along with it. You'd probably be slapped with a giant fine for wasting their time and discord shows up with my documents for that day saying you're full of shit.
Keep in mind that day. Not my entire history of discord ever.

It's because irc clients look gay as fuck and don't have ease of use features like discord et al do

If you took the discord client, stripped out the botnet and just had it connect to irc servers with basic shit intact you'd have people on irc again

Riot will come into effect once people have a reason to switch to it.
Skype > Discord
Tapa/Kakao/insertname*-talk > Telegram

Coincidentally all of these shitty services didn't have any proper encryption.

This. IRC has become a haven for racists and pedos.

with the recent microsoft partnership, if discord gets bought by microsoft i could see normies leaving it

>huge difference
look what they've done to you.

Telegram is bigger than Discord. Most of the shit they allow is banned by Discord so bad argument.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Depends where south. Big city South? Still bad. Small town who gives a fuck South? Sure you can get away with it. But people still know it's a "nono" word. They just happen to also all be perpetually angry racists

Look where you are faggot.

Attached: imouto2.jpg (372x417, 51K)

github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/1936
github.com/vector-im/riot-meta/issues/132
github.com/nylira/prism-break/pull/1953

>Riot will become end-to-end encrypted eventually

Attached: 1467405918233.png (120x120, 17K)

Recc some comfy IRC channels. (Give a short description if possible please)

Attached: 1506036490725.gif (625x626, 52K)

>They just happen to also all be perpetually angry racists
t. Someone that hasn't lived in the South
As a black man, I've only met two or three people like that where I live in the South. Most of the rest of the people there are alright for the most part. Stop letting stereotypes inform your view of reality.

Why would anyone use IRC when your IP address is easily exposed on there and numerous police arrests & crackdowns have happened since it's inception mostly due to CP. The police have back doors to easily track down anyone on IRC doing something illegal.

Why isn't there an encrypted IRC chat client yet that allows one to chat via mic/webcam..yet?

Or you can try out the decentralized, free open source alternative to Discord.

riot.im/

Attached: logo.png (212x178, 28K)

if only there was a non electron client that actually worked.

What is notsobot and why did they ban it?

irssi is nice.
/connect irc.servername.com
/msg NickServ IDENTIFY pWord
/jo- I am just enabling the newbies. Nevermind.

damn, based antifa btfoing discord trash. maybe next time they'll use a service that actually provides privacy.

Attached: 1523864432494.jpg (641x640, 141K)

I like mumble for comms and discord for shitposting

>haha i use discord because i love privacy xD

Attached: haha.png (812x760, 99K)

I live in Texas, though I guess you could say that's less south than "south" its still pretty south.

I'm not saying that small town people are all racist shits, just that if you find people willing to say nigger and are totally racist, its usually those areas that people talk about. If you're in places like austin or houston, its where you get the social suicide for saying nigger. In small places like hope, you can get away with being a complete racist and no-one cares as much.

user I'm black.

>subpoenas
deppends on topic
but #haskell or #go-nuts at freenode are some of the comfiest irc channels with tons of wholesome people (no matter if you hate the language itself)

if you're about shitposting only, go to #homescreen or similar #Jow Forums* channel on rizon

Nigger, skin color doesn't matter to me.

In case you didn't know, this is more or less what Kurt Buchenwald did JR Rivello, for tweeting the assault .gif at him.

Freenode = reddit trash
Rizon = Jow Forums

No
The exact opposite has happened. I've seen irc channels up for over a decade that finally jumped ship to discord.
I don't blame them it's got too many good features to not use.

Please teach me or point me to a good starting point.

>participated in a Discord involved with the Charlottesville rally
That's about as dumb as making a post claiming you're going to plant a bomb in Times Square. Once again Jow Forumstards show the world just how dumb they are.

BUT BUT if they had used IRC this wouldn't have happened, because muh freedom of speech

So much this. Every time someone complains about "censorship" they mean they are getting moderated for their racist, mindless shitposting. The thing that edgelords and Jow Forumstrash don't (and will refuse) to understand is that:
A)private companies can moderate their content however they like
B) they are not entitled to a platform or an audience
C) freedom of speech does not mean "free of consequences"
If you keep throwing shit towards the sky, dont complain it falls back on your face.

>spyware, telemetry
>good features
no

im going to be perfectly honest.

the only people who i know that use irc are pedophiles.

If they used IRC the right way (e2e encryption) then yes it wouldn't have happened. But knowing the average Jow Forums user they'll probably do it through an unencrypted connection in a Rizon channel.

They're Jow Forums users.
Of course they aren't going to convince 50+ normies to use IRC and then setup secure encryption.

Hell, 90% of people from Jow Forums don't even use IRC.

I don't think they organized that Discord channel with the intent to kill anyone. One retard took it to the extreme and decided to do that, so now they have to look at every person he spoke to. If any one of those people convinced him to do it, they'll be facing jail time potentially too.

Does Discord use centralized architecture? Can you run your own server?
I can't register so I never used it.

Look at tavrn

centralized
no

>freedom of speech does not mean "free of consequences"
the other parts are true, but freedom of speech actually does mean freedom of speech without punishment from your government for having those opinions.

Of course you can say whatever you want, you can tell putin he's a scumbag who rigs elections, it doesn't mean you'll not be killed for it.
Unlike america where you can say it, and sure other consequences might happen from private organizations like your job, but the government can't touch you.

I'm waiting for an end-to-end encrypted discord alternative.
It is easily possible to do it the same way as MEGA.
Attach keys to invite links after the #, users store their server / dm keys encrypted by clientside js with their password on the server, server never gets password, etc... Even the features of discord nitro would be easily applicable in this model, so i don't get why haven't yet someone made it into a thing.

>irssi
>newbies
lol, try Mibbit or Kiwi instead and you might be in danger of attracting them.

"Slaps around a bit with a large trout"

>IRC has too much cruft
what the fuck am I reading

This here.

The main reason irc loses is that it's not a messenger. If you're not connected you lose messages, and not everyone knows how to setup an irc bouncer at home to connect through. With most people using their phones discord is seemless. Mobile irc is clunky as fuck constantly changing connections.

Mobile IRC is shit and if you're savvy enough to set a client up on your phone you might as well run irssi or weechat on your home server and use your phone as an SSH client.

this is the real reason
would be fully solvable with proper IRCv3 support in clients / servers too, but bigger networks aren't likely to switch

This isn't about the James Fields criminal case, this is based on a civil suit.
Complain listed here.
integrityfirstforamerica.org/sites/default/files/First Amended Complaint - AS FILED.pdf

See, and this is where your assumptions are wrong.

Putting "irc client" in the playstore and connecting to a server does not fucking compare to

Installing a gui-less irc client, knowing what a SSH server is and setting one up, forwarding ports on your router and setting up dynamic dns so you can connect to your pc at home that must now remain on.

Most people that i knew on irc barely knew how to fucking connect to irc. They don't simply start setting up their own servers soon after to stay connected.

>irc
I sure love idling in 10+ channels and waiting a week to get 1 response

you may not like it but plenty of people are willing to give up their privacy to share meme pictures more easily