Is the tablet meme dead yet? Are they worth the money?

Is the tablet meme dead yet? Are they worth the money?

Attached: s-l500.jpg (500x500, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Wireless-Handheld-Finger-Trackball-Pointer/dp/B0057KL2AU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>the tablet meme dead yet
Depend on what you use it for.
IMO apple is dominating right now, because of it's ecosystem.
But once fuchsia roll out, it would turn the tides.
Tablets are useful as "consumption devices", which 95% of what you use.
Since most phones are phablet now, tablets in 7"-8" are dying and you're left with 9"-10" which is a little big to be held in one hand.
Nvidia shield and Nexus 7 are top tier for the 7" and Samsung galaxy tab S3 is the best in the 9"-10" range.
The price is another issue, or you can get a switch and get top tier GNU/Linux tier tablet.
Or fall for the What's a computer meme.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 70K)

2 in 1 tablets are the shiznit. For me at least

Depends. I use them to read, watch what little videos I watch off youtube/media platforms of lower quality, listen to music/audiobooks and do some light surfing.
For that they're mostly worth it since they save battery useage and wear on my laptops, particularly in bed, which I used to fucking destroy in a year or two. (mainly worktops for me now)
Apple really only has one major benefit imo and that's how long they last. I own an iPad solely because they tend to last longer than the competition in my anecdotal experience.

I can really only recommend them to digital artists. The Apple ones especially make a good cheap alternative to actual touch-screen graphics tablets. By default you can only draw on the screen with an iOS app like Procreate, but you can plug it into your computer and use it as a more traditional touch-screen tablet with desktop software like photoshop or whatever. You can do this by installing software called Duet Pro.

How do you destroy a laptop by using it in bed?

Cum,user.Lots and lots of cum

Attached: 1523760736304.jpg (2112x983, 261K)

For my uses I find them neat and interesting until I actually start using them. For consuming media they're pretty good, but for anything productive they are atrocious pieces of trash. Have fun coding or doing any kind of productivity on a tablet. Fun tip: you won't.

The exception for me is 2-in-1s, but only if they have powerful x86 processors (read: 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo performance or better), a long battery life and a Wacom digitizers. By that time they start bleeding over into laptops, and I wholeheartedly prefer folding laptops to kickstand surface-style laptops. I cannot tell you how cancerous I find Surface devices now.

They make good Point of Sale systems. Restaurants, retail stores, food trucks, etc.

x86 tablets are great when you want a desktop OS on something very portable. Can even install gentoo on them.

I've destroyed 2 laptops by being rough with them. I mean they still work but the hinges are fucked. I have to use L shaped brackets to keep the screen up

you can still read e-books with tablets. A lot of them are scanned in pdf, so e-readers aren't the best option.

>For consuming media they're pretty good
How so? It's too large to hold with one hand. If you hold it too long it digs into your hand. If you're using a stand then it's no different than a monitor. Tablets are shit. I would rather read off my phone.

On that subject, has anyone use these handheld trackballs? It seems infinitely more useful than a touchpad.

amazon.com/Wireless-Handheld-Finger-Trackball-Pointer/dp/B0057KL2AU

They are great for reading comics. I have a dell venue 7840 I use for it all the time and was actually looking for something newer and with more storage to work with. Finding something new with a 1440p OLED screen is actually pretty hard now though. May just need to take it apart and replace the battery and stick with lollipop.

Tablets are memes except for the iPad which is actually good.

I mean, you can get small ones. But below a certain size they start getting into phone territory.

If you're talking about 10 inch tablets, I'm totally with you. those are cancer.

i got a tablet, loaded all my programming books (that were available in pdf) and reference sheets on it.
set it on a stand on my desk.
got a logitech k375s keyboard that allows quick switching betwixt three devices.
switch>spacebar>tablet turns on>use keyboard to quickly get to pdf & page.

so effing quick and cool, wish i had thought of this sooner.

would highly recommend it.

...& some might say: you could just do that on your desktop.
I did, used to,
but being able to keep it away from the desktop when i have a bunch of stuff open, to read and reference with ease, *and* being able to take it with me to study (which i do a lot), is a great motivator to learn.

when you have a tablet/reader that is just barebones learning contents, it's a lot less distracting than having a laptop or phone on that gets on the net and goes to Jow Forums

the later Kindle Fire HD's can read pdf's pretty decently. they know ppl use them for thatso they have updated that ability. I would say very close to full-on tablet experience.

Since this is a stupid question I'll just tell you how I use mine: Watching videos in bed, on my deck, on the beach, etc. Taking around and reading various notes that are large and complex enough it would be a bit cumbersome to read on a smart phone. Reading articles and other digital things on the go or in a more comfortable position.

>I would say very close to full-on tablet experience.
A miss is as good as a mile. Especially when it comes to tablets. Kindles are awful.

> Are they worth the money?
If you're looking for a device for media consumption or reading or whatever and are willing to order one of the current models from China, sure.

You get an entirely fine machine for $80-200. Mom is very happy with her new portable ebook + audiobook + website reader / in-bed TV / casual gaming device.

Use them to read mango and that's about it. I have a Cube i6 and it does that job decently. I could pick a newer, lighter one, but it still just werks.

Tablets are great for note taking.

Construction manager that carried ipad to photoshoot rebar arrangement etc in construction site here.

Well tablets for me is great for photoshoot and checklist, but it`s shit for typing and document works.

Plus with the hazardous environment on site, it's not feasible to carry a bulky laptop around.

Isn't this is an Apple-tier solution?

A small camera like pic related [or some micro four thirds or whatever] should do the job faster, be even easier to carry, cheaper and also less likely to get damaged.

Attached: xiaomi-yi-4k-kamera-16.jpg (800x600, 29K)

PS: Kinda likewise for a smartphone. iPads almost always feel like they were purchased because someone liked Apple; they pretty much never are the best tools for any job though.

What's the cheapest e-reader you can get (new or second hand) that'll work fine with PDFs?
I don't like reading on regular screens.

Cheapest? Probably some used Kindle paperwhite or something.

> I don't like reading on regular screens.
Still simply the better option in case your PDF include anything colored or with images.

You'll probably be fine with the earlier suggestion if it's just text.

>are willing to order one of the current models from China
>You get an entirely fine machine for $80

Like what? All i see are 7-8" Onda/Teclast/Cube tablets with 1gb ram and shit resolution, 2014-15 tech with 5.0 Android. Or it's some total noname garbage.
>$200
ain't going to spend more than $100 on chink shit, which probably won't last longer than a year anyway.

It's corporate-supplied ipad pro and basically, the system work by uploading it to company server after complete checklist and attach related photo, completed document will be automatically wrote out and available for printing. I ain't complaining but I would prefer more portable ipad mini anyway.

Pic related, is, well, too small to look at because I constantly double-check construction diagrams alot.

Kindle Fire HD 3rd Gen off ebay (watch for battery wear use, how long it holds charge)

good image
gets on internet
8 or 16gb
bluetooth
does the job for the lowest cost

Chuwi, Teclast, Xiaomi ... [the last is currently hard to find, they seem sold out about everywhere].

> ain't going to spend more than $100 on chink shit, which probably won't last longer than a year anyway
It tends to last a lot longer than a year, though.

And you're usually paying for more RAM and better chipsets and so on. Not seeing a way around this while still getting the better chipsets and RAM. The profit margins must be low anyhow.

e-ink eReaders kill the tablet's last remaining use case for smart people. Tablets like the iPad and its clones will always be back-burner items

any good tablets in 4:3 format out there that are not ipads or Samsung S Series?

The latest iPad has a higher resolution than 1080p so if Apple decided to perfect its hardware quality, the screen alone is worth something (much less than the cost of the iPad however)

Xiaomi's Mi Pad 2, but it's hard to find.
Teclast X98 Plus II also should be okay.

There are also 8:5 aspect ratio [pretty close to 4:3] tablets that are pretty good - the Huawei MediaPad M3 or Teclast T8 for example.

>The latest iPad has a higher resolution than 1080p
So do most recent >=$200 tablets on Android, QHD (2560×1440) and up is normal there.

here is a proper tablet computer

only 3000 burgerbucks

Attached: wacom-mobilestudio-overview-multi-2.jpg (633x990, 88K)

the cintiqs make me feel a lot better about the amount I spent on my X1 Yoga 3. I can do anything with this thing, it's fantastic. You pay a lot for it but you get OPTIONS...

I've been eying a Lenovo Tab 4 10 for pdf texts and video

Attached: 6.jpg (1301x1126, 96K)

>dead
kind of, unless you're talking about 2-in-1s and iPads.

>worth the money
Sure. A 7 or 8 inch tablet around 1 lb weight with at least 240 ppi is really a good form factor for mobile media consumption.

Attached: 71IYtBXxQSL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 16K)

How are ipads for reading manga?

Tempted to buy one but worried if I dump my manga on it I might have issues such as pages not being in the correct order for whatever reason (as sometimes happens with Photos on w10)

>Figured I should ask here instead of making a separate thread

Are there any good 2 in 1s for a cheap price?
I'm not expecting something Surface tier or anything but Windows, built in stand isn't necessary and a cover/keyboard.

android tablets are dead, iPad still works just fine. some windows 2in1 tablets are also good.

I kind of want one to read manga but it's too expensive to use only for that. I'd like it better if someone made bigger ereaders

Nexus 9 Wi-Fi with full-FOSS, gappless Lineage. I use it to read, access practice problems, and lookup info comfortably. I like it thus far, for how long I've had it I can't complain

Attached: Screenshot_20180427-035352.png (2048x1536, 3.23M)

my mom can't figure out windows.
the simple touch icons are more friendly to old people.

>they have updated that ability
What?

Best manga reader for a windows 10 tablet? Bought one for reading VNs and wondering how well I'd be able to read manga. Tried honeyview and it wasn't as nice of an experience as perfect viewer is on android.