I want to go to there

But I don't think I have any skills, nor education.
What can I do?

Attached: 1_c4NYXft8lyS7bkpaaMWREQ[1].jpg (1280x720, 296K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SBjXUBMkkE8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck you...
Fuck you.

Walk rich people's dogs

Why is it called silicon valley? It's not a valley, it's a fucking bay.

dunno

I spent 6 years working there. It’s a shithole. You will be surrounded by unbearable faggots 24/7 and lose your grip on reality.

Attached: EB85D6F0-9322-4442-9239-AAA47FF240E3.jpg (496x600, 47K)

it's ugly, not worth visiting
>but I wanna work there
don't be an asshole. Most people there work their asses off and get paid peanuts.

You can do the cleaning

Become a girl(male)

Not sure if srs
Silicon Valley is the valley below the bay

This, but I didn't last as long. I moved to San Jose after graduating from university and after 4 years the environment had completely broken me. After my first (and to date only) suicide attempt, I decided to pack up and move back to my home in the midwest. I make about half of what I used to but words cannot describe how much happier I am here.

>I don't think I have any skills, nor education.
get these things then

Not sure if srs
But anything under water doesnt qualify as a valley

just came back from there and its pretty boring desu

silicon valley fucking sucks.

I grew up here and ive been working here since college. Its all just rich asians and smelly indians clogging up all the stores.

Theres no parking anywhere and everything is fucking expensive.

Once i get seniority at my job im moving to denver to work full time remote.....or just find a job in denver since the tech scene is coming up

Fuck Silicon valley

hard labor
or crime, followed by hard labor

What made it so bad?

>I have any skills, nor education.
Then why do you want to go there?

Thought I was on /vr/ for a minute.
Fuck you faggot.

Nothing. I live here and all the cool things (the Hiller Aviation Museum, the Computer History Museum, Ames Research Center, Leigh Quarry, Fioli, the Doggy Diner sign) can be seen in a weekend.

Not him but I'm guessing a combination of no transit, awful traffic, and rent did it like it does most people.

>and rent
I know the rent is insane, but isn't that countered by the fact you get paid like 3x as much there?

Become a hobo on Silicon Valley.

you make 2x-2.5x more than other places, but your rent is easily 3x-4x higher.
add that to very high state+muni taxes and you're basically fucked.

the real willing move is to get a remote job working for a company based in silicon valley, so you're likely to get a silicon valley salary while living in a much cheaper area.

but finding jobs like this is rare and you need to be an expert in your field.

I hope you like homosex, there are no women there.

No because rent just costs more. Homeowners aren't stupid and they all work together to stop new housing from being built. Neighbors will go so far to petition their city against a neighbor building a guest room or call in minor housing code violations if they feel a place is being rented.

It is total, complete and utter insanity. Which is why all the smart money is already in Salinas, Cloverdale and Fairfield.

The reason Silicon Valley has all those companies with in-house gyms, free gourmet food, babysitting, napping areas, lounges, etc. is because they expect you to spend 16-18 hours a day there. The local government looks the other way when it comes to enforcing labor laws regarding the long hours because these companies bring so much capital to the area they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they did anything about it.

I will take bringing my own lunch and shitty cubicle in my cheap midwestern city 40 hours at 1/3rd the pay please. Money isn't everything.

>Worked in the valley for 3 years.

Another problem with rent is that they can increase it however much they want at anytime they want.

I've heard cases where individuals had 300% increases in rent. The shitty part is that there's nothing you can do about it.

Fuck paying $3,500 for a 1 bedrooom shitty apartment.

choices there are:

>living behind SFO (safe but awful commute)
>living in front of Stanford University (regularly mocked by students and targeted by campus police)
>living in one of the remaining Walmart parking lots
>living under 101 (dirty, prone to flooding)
>living in a catholic church (all the other residents will be illegal aliens and residents are expected to give a large portion of their surplus income to the church)
>living in a mormon church (have to convert to Mormonism and convert at least three other people)

It refers to the Santa Clara valley, mate.

youtube.com/watch?v=SBjXUBMkkE8

You don't want to live in Silicon Valley

Most of sv has rent control now. Which ironically makes things worse since vacant units cost more to make up for it.

Why would you willingly go to such a shithole?

Silicon Valley is for beta males and pajeets who will willingly slave all day just to pay their insanely inflated rent monthly, and drink 12 dollar cups of shit coffee. try not to trip on any homeless while you walk either

>the real willing move is to get a remote job working for a company based in silicon valley, so you're likely to get a silicon valley salary while living in a much cheaper area.

Generally not how it works. Most companies will adjust for your local market rate. They aren't stupid and realize they can pay you less and so they will. And if you start in sv and then move they'll lower your salary when you move.

Which company expected you to spend 16-18 hours a day there?

I was really worried about this when moving from a country with strong labor laws, but I've worked here five years now and have had maybe 2 weeks where I worked >40 hours (and plenty where I worked less)

you think you're getting 1/3 the pay, but considering the price of living in SF compared to the midwest, you're probably making more

Can you even into math? Say you make $200,000 and piss away half on rent and taxes. That's still $100,000 you're taking home, which is more than most non valley salaries pre tax. People live there for the money. They aren't dumb enough to actually like it except the idiots in SF. If people could make as much money elsewhere they would move.

>I want to go to there
Good lord, why?

heh

ITT: Salty Google rejects

I work for Google and am salty because GOOG doesn't have the same growth as AMZN. At least Google isn't completely shit to work for I guess, unlike Amazon (from what I hear)

know people who worked at amazon, and they all say the place its completely toxic

Be proactive and start using piss bottles

I'd prefer to work for a company that doesn't throw their developers work straight into the trash.

That's Amazon. Average tenure at Amazon is the same as the length of their stock grant.

You're a fucking dumbass if you actually think so. Most living expenses aren't that different. Only housing is. Unless your entire paycheck is going into housing, you will be way better off in the bay. Maybe you pay 2k extra a month for an apartment. Thats only 24k a year. Even after taxes, you'd earn way more than that in the bay than you do in Bumblefuck, Nebraska.

Seriously. I'm glad I got a great Seattle job that pays competitive to Amazon anyways, even though it's not nearly as massive.

Because they treat people like shit. But name a product of googles that wasn't completely either abandoned entirely or completely re-written just for shits and giggles in a 6 month span.

Google is indeed directionless. Doesn't mean it's a bad place to work.

>Unless your entire paycheck is going into housing, you will be way better off in the bay
No, you fucking wouldn't.
The COST OF LIVING in bay area is equally as inflated. Everything you buy is 2x-2.5x MORE than any other area.

Why do you think nearly every non-tech business in that area left? Because nobody had left over money to actually buy shit.

I live in the bay. Right in the middle of SV in fact. I've lived elsewhere too. How much do you pay for an onion? I pay 50 cents to a dollar. How much do you pay for chicken? I pay $2-4/lbs. Yes, if you go to a bar and get wasted, thats a shit ton of money down the drain, so don't do that. Buy some shit from safeway and it all costs the same. Cars cost the same too.

I hardly spend money, not because I cant afford it but because theres no need to. If I'm only spending 10k/yr on non housing expenses, maybe I spend 4k more than you. Sweet, I'm only spending 30k more per year than you for all of my expenses after taxes. Including my 401k and a 50% match, I'm saving 100k a year. I'm saving more than your entire salary per year and putting it into mutual funds. This is assuming 200k income, and it sure isn't hard to get that much around here.

>wanting to work in the epicenter of onions and botnet

Attached: IMG_0115.jpg (500x313, 20K)

>But I don't think I have any skills, nor education.
Don't bother. Silicon Valley is the tech equivalent of Hollywood. Unless you know what you're doing, you'll end up homeless.

I've met people from there and no, you don't want to.

Why? You will be surrounded by faggy liberals

The graph on 1.14min is correct, prices have doubled in the last 2 years in Santa Clara.2 years ago the average house cost $700k, now the average is $1.4M

There is a housing shortage in Silicon Valley so prices are going to keep going up as very well paid people keep bidding up the prices

If Silicon Valley is so tech savvy, then why don't they allow more of their workers to do work remotely? What's the point of physically being there? A programmer doesn't need to physically be in their offices to do their job. The brief tech meetings they have can be done virtually.

Im not a professional in the industry, but since you quoted me, I would say a better question is why dont tech companies move out of the area altogether to a cheaper area, and the answer as to why they dont is that there is so much top tier talent in this area that they would not be able to access anywhere else

I work remote from the Midwest for a big Bay Area company. I make $140k, which is way more than anyone is paying around here. However, my Bay Area coworkers make over $200k. I work with one guy who was making over $300k/yr in the Bay Area finance tech, but had to work over 60 hours a week.

You do realize that devs love to rewrite things from scratch? I'm not saying that's good business practice, but you're obviously not a developer if you're claiming that getting to rewrite things all the times is a minus.

You can make the same amount in Seattle without the grubby state government taking 10% of your income. Only idiots work in the valley.

>Only idiots work in the valley.
I don't think the biggest tech companies in the world are idiots, user. I get you hate SV, but to say they're idiots is..kind of idiotic.

60 hours a week? What does he do?

>all these people from Jow Forums who have worked in SV

so why is Jow Forums so shit then if you're top tier talent?

you can get 60k here doing this

>search
>gmail
>youtube
>drive

Get the skills or education. Your community college probably offers a certification class for around $500. However, Silicon Valley is overrated. It's expensive, the taxes are ridiculous, and like most high-tax states, a lot of it goes to paying the six-figure pension of someone who did little more than warm a state government seat for the required 20 years rather than fixing or god forbid expanding the choked roads you may have to drive on. It's also possible you won't find a job there as quickly in the tech field as other places and still, you might regret living there. Dice recently had an article about the best places for Java developers to live, and much of it was pretty relevant to people working with other languages or people not even working in anything technology-related. It basically says you would make a lot but have no disposable income in you lived in Silicon Valley. If my most recent job search is any indication, Dallas might be the place you want to go, both if you are looking to get a foot in the door quickly and not have to live in a shoebox. Nearly half the calls and emails I get from recruiters are looking to fill jobs in Dallas and its suburbs.