/wdg/ - Web Development General

reached bump limit

What are you working on?

I'm still working on the same compiled web framework I've been working on for five years.

Attached: wdg.jpg (824x553, 589K)

Other urls found in this thread:

codepen.io/fire-hawk/pen/vjKPbj
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4
jsfiddle.net
stackoverflow.com/questions/25150865/beginning-and-pausing-svg-animations-on-hover?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa
gist.github.com/cvan/2a0ed2bcbf73900d43798431283f9e1e
discord.gg/wdg.
reactjs.org/docs/react-dom.html
angular.io/api
debuggerdotbreak.judahgabriel.com/2018/04/13/i-built-a-pwa-and-published-it-in-3-app-stores-heres-what-i-learned/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Blazor

Attached: fuck_javascript.jpg (486x486, 28K)

Ah, I see.
The "signaling server" in this case is my smarthome server, and the two peers are my smartphone with the stream and the browser, right?
The whole thing would be then Camera --> Browser instead of Camera --> Server --> Browser?
How would I do user restriction in this case? By my server not giving a signal?
Would I need to install something else on my phone to work with this? I'm currently using DroidCam on my phone for streaming, and I can't imaging that working out of the box.

I don't plan to sell it, it's more of a hobby that I'm working on from time to time just for fun and to keep my sanity. Though I gotta admit, the whole thing feels pretty polished now that I've rewritten the frontend with React and use Websockets instead of async requests.

>How would I do user restriction in this case? By my server not giving a signal?
Yes, if the user isn't correct then just send them nothing.

>Would I need to install something else on my phone to work with this?
Yes. It's pretty easy with react-native and the WebRTC plugin. There are a bunch of vanilla js frameworks for WebRTC too.

>The whole thing would be then Camera --> Browser instead of Camera --> Server --> Browser?
Pretty much. Drew this picture in mspaint to show what goes on.

>I don't plan to sell it
There is a really good idea there that people would pay for.

Attached: webrtc.png (721x485, 11K)

last thread wasn't even above bump limit

KYS yourself.

Thanks, that's definitely a better way if I ever have a lot of cameras around. The whole thing doesn't have any problems with NATs and the like, right?

>There is a really good idea there that people would pay for.

I'm pretty sure smarthome systems were done to death by bigger companies already, but you've made me curious. Hypothetically speaking, I can see this going 2 ways: Selling the whole server so people can put it up somewhere at home (which probably wouldn't be too user friendly), or keep everything on my server and sell it as a service. I feel like the second option would be better, mostly because I built the whole thing that way anyways because of the way my home network is structured. What was your idea about this?

wish i was white

>KYS yourself
>Kill yourself yourself

Isn’t bump limit 300?

Yeah so nothing about going to ask anyone how to do it or for help doing it. You better do it yourself.

So it should be
KYS, yourself.

Java inheritance. Like a ViewBeanBuilderFactoryFactory.

what a pain
codepen.io/fire-hawk/pen/vjKPbj

And even when using flexbox it still is like this
because you can align the items in the center, but if the last row is uneven, they will not be aligned nicely from the left on the last row

NEWFAG

Say I have a that the #id is being generated by a function.

I want to target the first #id that appears only, how do I do this in React?

It would then create

div#0
div#1
div#2.. etc

How can I target div#0?
First-child isn't working...

What are you talking about I've been here all summer

first-child pseudo-class should work.

poast css

>MERN stack. Tell me about it and what kind of purpose it serves. I keep hearing bad things about MongoDB, what purpose does that serve specifically?

So MERN is MongoDB, Express, React, and Node.js.

Personally, I like Node as a barebones webserver that lets you write code without too much boilerplate. Learning it without any frameworks gave me a better idea of how servers and HTTP work.

I haven't used Express, but I think basically what it provides is boilerplate framework stuff for common use cases. Most people that use Node use Express, so it's probably necessary for getting a Node job.

I haven't used React either, but it's the most popular frontend framework, and supposedly it's pretty good.

MongoDB is kind of a shitshow. Basically it has some use cases as a distributed system at large scale (e.g. I think Stripe uses it successfully). But if you're a normal user or business of even somewhat large scale, there's really not much benefit over using a relational DB (MySQL or PostgreSQL).

I think the fact that MongoDB lets you query using JavaScript is the reason it attracted so many new devs; it was easy to learn and adopt, and it was marketed as an simple to use DB for general use cases. But there are cases where things can fail, and your code needs to handle that. Whereas with relational databases, the failure cases are clearer.

tl;dr, I recommend replacing MongoDB with MySQL or PostgreSQL, but Node, Express, and React are probably good to go.

Haven't programmed in about a year and I'm not even sure what to even work on. I feel like I've made 5 imageboards and all the social media sites a million times to get decent at programming, but now I'm rusty af and those are boring as shit.

What are some simple backend websites I can make that differ from just the ol imageboard?

Attached: 1524325499769.jpg (640x354, 20K)

word

>I feel like I've made 5 imageboards
kekd

srsly

They're all the same, and once you make one it seems like you've made them all. Of course I can put dumb gimmicks into them, but meh

other than hand-writing complete HTML documents and writing templates that get parsed and filled in and written to an HTTP response, what other options are there?

any good libraries for rendering nice-looking data tables? Google Sheets doesn't provide enough control. DataTables looks good but is overkill

I would sell it as a subscription service.

I would purpose it as a smartphone security system since most households have an old phone or two. Competitors have apps, but the setup is a little too technical for the average person. A clean UI with a straightforward tutorial video/guide would sell a lot of subscriptions with proper advertising.

Try making something that brings in passive income.

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

I'm actually doing it.
I'm writing my own ORM.

Is JAM Stack the newest hotness?

It's not new at all. It's just demonstrates other stacks are over-engineered redundant trash.
d e s u

i've put together something using lamp.
what's next? i feel like a dinosaur and i don't know what the cool kids use.

going back to an old project, going to try porting it to electron JS and see if that makes front end easier.
i've always wanted a way to write desktop gui in html.

MERN stack is cool,
I was using the MEAN stack but now learning React, so far I like it.

Does putting remote webdev jobs in your resume look pajeetry?

i was thinking about doing one.

what was your stack?

if the postcount isn't displayed cursive, then bump limit hasn't been reached

No, it shows you have work experience, and that you're able to work and get stuff done on your own accord without someone watching over you.

>remote webdev
i'm very interested in your experiences working remotely.

Depends on what they are.
If they were just like one-off 'clients' then you should just group it all under freelancing.
If they were larger clients or an actual stable remote job, then you definitely want to separate and make note of them.

I can't get react-select to work, i cant get the CSS to import. I've tried the suggestions online. It seems like copying the default.css to my directory and importing that should have worked but even that won't

Couldn't you do .getElementById(wantedid)
Where wantedId is a function returning a string based on the needed div? I don't know if you want to select div 1, 2, 3, etc after so that would be good for that

>What are you working on?

Last month I started a long-cherished Project to organize my Quotes and work through books.
Do you think, there is a need for such an application?
Are there any comparable applications out there?

Attached: Screenshot_20180426_235950.png (823x908, 141K)

Alright guys I just downloaded some public domain licensed sample code for my database connection.

Do you think literal sample code is good enough or do I actually need to do something with this puny part of the DB?

i don't get it

are you saving quotes from books ?

Never used electron or made a website before
How difficult would making a Jow Forums desktop program with electron be?

Depends on what features you want it to have I guess, but getting Jow Forums to load up into an electron shell would probably take like an hour.

Is there a simple way to pause an animated svg? I have an array of svg files that are playing, Is there a simple way to play and stop the animation?

Bummer man.

>are you saving quotes from books ?
Yes, for further use in humanistic articles/theses.
My intended usage: taking quotes and making notes while reading a book - and process the quotes in the future.

stackoverflow.com/questions/25150865/beginning-and-pausing-svg-animations-on-hover?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

gist.github.com/cvan/2a0ed2bcbf73900d43798431283f9e1e

does anyone here use Go?

It looks interesting so I'm trying to learn it but honestly feeling like a brainlet because I've only ever used javascript before

yeah you could make an app which have books as images and when you click on them, you get the quotes you selected from that book

just an idea really

Attached: sdfsf.png (953x533, 497K)

>learning regex
>regex unicode
>maybe it's not supported in JS, maybe I can skip this

fuck, at leas the book I'm learning it from explains it well enough,

Attached: z.jpg (500x400, 76K)

I agree on the subscription service part, that sounds reasonable.

I disagree with the security system thing, though I have to expand on this.
First, I'm not interested in writing my own apps for now, that's a whole new bottle to open.
Second, and more important, the whole system is much more than just cameras. While not obvious on the screenshot I posted earlier, it also includes a way to store and retrieve data for my hardware (reed switches, temperature sensors, numpads, LED strips, RFID readers, whatever I want to build next), as well as defining and triggering events based on that data. And reddit / twitter can be used by these events as well. And Alexa can trigger events ("Alexa, tell [system name] to start protocol 8"). The thing is, while security is definitely part of the system, it's not the whole package and focus of the project. I can see the whole thing being sold as "smarthome as a service", but not reduced to just the camera part.

Yes!

I do agree that it isn't new since I've been technically doing it since 2013, but it's definitely worth adding to your resume.

>yeah you could make an app which have books as images and when you click on them, you get the quotes you selected from that book
>just an idea really

I am actually pretty serious about this; and it is really not about quotes for a Christmas card, but for actual academic quotes.

But I think pictures of books might still be an nice idea. Although the main work will go into structuring a database to organize quotes properly.

I would be really glad, if anyone knew, if such an application exist already.

Not a good choice to jump straight into go.
Especially considering majority of go positions are through networks or are relatively senior.
Pick another backend choice.

More like Go fuck yourself

where do I pull book images? What website provides api for it?

ex:

axios.get(url, book_category) {
then function(response) {
console.log(book_category.author)
}
}

>What are you working on?
A lot of shit.

Making a website that has one competitor and that guy makes 4k daily. I would be happy with 1/10th of that. I'm prepared to let the website site for a year or two to get up on those search results.

That's almost done.

Then I have a website aimed at content creators that I have to make better. Already launched and pretty successful, but I want to get bought by one of the larger competitors.

Then I have another website aimed at content creators that I have to make. Really good feelings about this one.

Then a dating app that's the next step in dating apps.

Then I have a few shitty apps made in Cordova that I want to remake in react native and launch, but I need a mac for that p12 and I watched silicon valley so I'm not going to try and generate it at work. Some nerd is stealing one of the ideas and even took the name of the app. I found his pitch on Google, the fuck. Not really a good app anyways. Would get a lot of downloads but no way to monetize.

That's all.

Also the idea he stole is kinda my fault since I have it operational on a website for testing and google crawled it. So he just found it on google and said "mine now"

What happened to the helpful links at OP?
Why is this OP is such a faggot

deploying shit to aws seems hard

If you need webdev links, join discord.gg/wdg. There's a #reading-list channel with hundreds of useful webdev links, books, etc.

There's something for everyone.

Yeah he should just not make the thread if he doesn't post the links.
aws is daunting, not difficult
kys

how old are ya?

what is something you wish people told you when you were younger?

A lot of things. Anything specific?

i don't know. i remember you from a few threads back and you seem to have find your passion in writing apps and websites and profit from it, so you're well off.

i would like to get in this area too, so i was just looking for ideas

Ok. Here are some tips I would give a younger version of myself that would have saved a lot of time.

I would say that a lot of ideas you will have are probably going to be terrible and will see no success. Bounce them off people that will tell you the truth. Spending a few months working on an idea just to see it flop isn't a good feeling.
Instead of thinking about why the idea WILL work, think of why it WILL NOT work and then think of improvements. It's common to have one idea turn into a completely different idea.

Launch anxiety goes away after the first launch. Don't let it ruin the first launch. Everything doesn't have to be perfect.

A job is useful for learning, gaining experience, and funding yourself. A job should always be seen as temporary. Your time is better spent developing things. Having people pay you for something you made is way more satisfying than a salary could ever be.

Be business-facing. Consumers do not want to pay for anything online unless their friends do. Consumer apps/websites can spread like a plague, but the odds are so low. Businesses will gladly cough up lots of cash if your product makes sense.

Develop autonomous things that generate passive income. If you have to moderate your site content and do anything other than make sure your servers aren't overloaded then you're doing it wrong.

Talk to a tax guy and figure out how to avoid getting gouged on taxes with a corporation.

That's all I've got.

I think I remember you from a previous thread; the bit about google crawling your site and some guy (college kid?) stealing your idea sounds familiar.

>but I need a mac for that
There's a service called MacInCloud that's $25/month that you can use to build for iOS. I haven't used it, but I read an article where a guy mentioned using it for specifically this purpose.

what's easier to learn, Angular or React?

I don’t know. I’ve learned both inside and out and I like angular better. You don’t have to wire a bunch of shit up yourself, and it gets out of your way when you want it to. React is popular as hell, but that wave may already be starting to crest.

Yeah, that was me.

Did you also recommend this exact thing in that thread? I think I remember that. I'll check it out. Thanks.

mendeley, zotero, I just use org-mode for that

I found it great for web "pentesting" tools

reactjs.org/docs/react-dom.html
angular.io/api
React has like 10x less functionality, so it's going to be React of course

I don’t think that by learn, he means memorize the entire api.

me neither

Nah, I just read an article mentioning it a couple days ago. The thread I say you in was probably a while back.

The articlewas about PWAs vs (pseudo) native apps (basically web apps wrapped in Cordova) if anyone is interested:
debuggerdotbreak.judahgabriel.com/2018/04/13/i-built-a-pwa-and-published-it-in-3-app-stores-heres-what-i-learned/

>React
>cresting
I think it's passed its prime.

not a webdev fag, but needing to make a site now that i'm applying for cs jerbs.
how minimal is too minimal? probably won't get any shitters clicking on my site, but just in case i guess.

I don't suppose there's a way to get a viewport sized image like background-attachment: fixed but using background-attachment: scroll instead?

I had to skip college this semester and I'm afraid I'm going rusty. Any easy and fast projects you guys can suggest to get myself up speed again?

i was learning nodejs + express + mongo but i lost all motivation, any advice? it's like "one more song and then i'll learn it" but the hours are passing and i'm not learning anything.

What do you mean? You want it to just be a regular background image? Or you want it to be parallax, but use the scroll property instead? Why?

are they memes?

Attached: langs.png (641x328, 53K)

Well... if you get a job you'll sure be well payed, but it's pretty hard.

Holy fucking shit is there a single decent react course that doesn't just use redux?

>Udemy nodejs torrent

Redux/other state management systems outside the component level are kind of necessary. The new Context API in 16.3 is pretty cool though and can remove some need for Redux, but Redux is still great when you want to go through every action in the lifecycle of your app, debug how the store state changed and dispatch custom actions outside the source code of the app.

do you mean the languages are hard or getting a job is

Getting a job is.

Any black web dev anons here?

I'm white on the outside, but my soul is charcoal black, does that count?

How do you pronounce HATEOAS?

How do i get the final dark red smiley to line up in the far position where the other smileys are now?
All the first for each row have colspan='2', but when I do the final colspan='2' it moves everything back over to how I don't want it.

Attached: tableq.png (567x491, 41K)

You fundamentally don't understand how colspan works. Start from scratch with your understanding of tables, rows, columns, rowspan, colspan. Then learn flexbox instead.

then do something different, that interests you instead? Asking others to motivate you, you are trying to shift the effort to another person.

The time to stop using tables for layouts like this came a long time ago.

Why are you using colspan in the first place.