Ubuntu MATE is not just the best Ubuntu, it's the best Linux distro, period

>it's killing Xubuntu
>it's killing Lubuntu
>it's already killed Gnome3

Today's the day.

Are you ready to install the best Linux distro?

ubuntu-mate.org/

Attached: Wheel_tag_coloured.png (380x360, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.com/browse/mate
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mate?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=m&file=mate0001
ubuntu-mate.org/
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mate?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=m&file=mate0002
mate-desktop.org/
bluesabre.org/2018/04/21/xfce-pulseaudio-plugin-0-4-0-and-0-4-1-released
opendesktop.org/s/Gnome/p/1187179/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i prefer kubuntu, but thank you for the suggestion!

>i prefer kubuntu

said nobody ever

>>it's killing Lubuntu
keep dreaming

well i typed it but i've said it in real life before. for whatever reason, every time i try to use MATE half the GUI either doesn't work or works at a 10 second delay even on perfectly capable hardware. I don't doubt it works for you, though!

Sup with Ubuntu Mate shilling recently?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1497281189393.jpg (2272x1704, 997K)

Is it pronounced may-t, or mah-tay?

Attached: 1380465545886.jpg (300x302, 22K)

>mah-tay

this way

>binary-based
In the trash it goes. Install Gentoo.

xubuntu is better tho

i would never install some shitty distro that makes people think im from australia what the fuck

And dead

Isn't that what Linux Mint is though

certified 100% emu-free

Attached: anon is aussie.jpg (662x393, 33K)

How is xubuntu dead? Do you have any statistics on what distro is more popular?

I pronounce it like まって (matte)

>installer asks if I want to encrypt my disk
>ofcourse.jpg
>doesn't ask if I want a seperate /home
>shoves everything in /
>doesn't encrypt /swap
nice OS you got there

Attached: 1519433404607.gif (480x360, 2.82M)

Ubuntu defaults to using swap files not a swap partition. Also most people shove everything in / so ubuntu defaults to this. If you want a separate /home, do it yourself. Why can't you come up with good reasons?

The installer doesn't give you an option
the only way to get LUKS encryption is by them having everything in /
I guess you could setup your disk by hand but last I checked the shitty ubuntu installers don't play well with that like debian does.
also swapfiles are retarded

>not saying out each letter

meyt, it obviously doesn't spell MATÉ (mah-tay), it spells MATE (may-t) which is a word: dictionary.com/browse/mate

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mate?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=m&file=mate0001

Xubuntu is boring and dead

>people use kubuntu.

>ubuntu-mate.org/
im going to install this on my old dell inspiron
let us see this ubantuMate...

I'm on 16.04. Why does the internet stop working after suspending? I even try reseting network.service. Does the next update fix this?

Linux Mint MATE is better. Linux Mint Xfce is also better than Xubuntu

I am strongly considering it for a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver MDD I recently got.

newfag

KDE is garbage. That's why Mint isn't going to use it on their next version.

It's not pronounced as an English word you goober

Isn't Xfce due for an update soon?

WERE IS UBUNTU MATE 18.04

mate is so great that made ubuntu usable.

You're more retarded

>Isn't Xfce due for an update soon?

maybe in 2 years

Posting real best distro.

Attached: 2018-04-26-182646_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.83M)

>weeb OS

no

pedo go away

Yes. It'll be done in a few months.

The stable release schedule is 3 years. It's been 3 years since last relese.
4.10 > 2012
4.12 > 2015
4.14 > 2018, obviously.

4.14 will be more of the same shit.

MATE is far more active.

>bitmap fonts alongside with smeared fonts
fucking poser

he's right tho

deader than xfce and crunchbang

Attached: e280bbba80ff0b7eb33d71296124773e.jpg (1000x1680, 126K)

Since obscurity of a Linux distribution scales exponentially with the number of BSDs that surpass it on distrowatch I can savely say that a BSD**2 tier ubuntu flavor "kills" noone but itself eventually

xubuntu is lighter

mate is bloated

>have no features
>"hey guys it's lighter!"

xfeces sucks

no it isn't

>has features that makes it use more ram than it should
>"hey guys install this bloated piece of shit instead of lighter alternatives"

I bet you would like gnome, seeing as you think more features = better DE

>gnome 3
>features

this is how stupid you sound, user

yes it is

citation fucking needed.

>wahhhhhhh mommy my Ubuntu OS uses 500mb on boot instead of 400mb like the other Ubuntu OS!!!!

If RAM worries you this much, user, you should get a job and buy a laptop with more than 1GB of RAM.

What's wrong with Xfce?

what's the point of purposefully wasting resources for little to no gain?

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Attached: stallman.jpg (500x335, 16K)

Matei

Attached: brown bricks.jpg (862x892, 55K)

anybody on a hi-res display on a laptop? I got a 1080p display on my chinkpad x240, and while it looks GR8, stuff is too tiny. I was able to increase the text DPI so at least that is readable, but titlebars are still small af, as is text in Firefox.

Attached: 12407333_1095587953794097_1392567596_n.jpg (640x640, 64K)

Ubuntu mate froze and I lost my partitions. Never again

S N A P
N
A
P

ACPI never works well with Linux. Best thing to do is log out and save workspaces, then suspend.

wrong link, 5th definition

5 maté
noun ma·té \ ˈmä-ˌtā \
variants: or mate
Definition of maté
1 : a tealike beverage drunk especially in South America
2 : a South American shrub or tree (Ilex paraguariensis) of the holly family whose leaves and shoots are used in making maté; also : these leaves and shoots
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mate?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=m&file=mate0002

So increase the size of text in Firefox, dumbass. Small title bars are a good thing

it'd be Ubuntu CUNT then, seppo poof

hey gramps

>a 10 second delay even on perfectly capable hardware
i had exactly this problem. not sure how to file a bug report or even track down the cause.
im guessing its because im using a special snowflake monitor resolution
i dont care what anyone else thinks its pronounced mate as in tags:mating_press;impregnation;happy_sex
end of story

Ubuntu Budgie or get the fuck out of my face

OP is right!

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-04-27 00-04-37.png (1600x900, 1.16M)

i hate the green default theme

what are some good ones

Arc-Dark

I agree OP, Mate is Ubuntu as it was before Unity. I had no major problem with Unity and ran it because of reasons, but I'm running MATE now it's so snappy and clean.

Nah it's fuckin mate like g'day mate, deal with it ya poofter cunt!

Just read about the "mutiny" unity recreation on MATE, nice touch! Hopefully MATE gets the full LTS 5-year due to popularity.

MATE is pretty good but you can't have a separate wallpaper for each display. Back to XFCE!

any theme you want, nigger

Get the fuck out.

There any workarounds for that? Saw some suggests but MATE team was like WE TOO BUSY DOING REAL WORK FOR FREE NO COMPLAIN UG UG UNGA BUNGA

Your RAM doesn't magically draw any more power because of extra 100MB usage. If your work actually demands lots of RAM and you need to squeeze all you can out of it then fair enough, but if you argue about "wasted" resources while letting 7GB go unused then you're a clueless dipshit.

Read The DE is MATE, not MATÉ. If they simply renamed it to MATÉ I wouldn't object, but since they named it MATE the correct way to pronounce it is this

it eats up about as much cpu/ram just idling as cinnamon.
between the two, at least, i think mate looks better
in no way however, should mate be billed as "minimal"
it just provides a sensible set of defaults
>no gain
xfce can be too spartan for some; where mate will give you all the compositing bells and whistles on top of everything gnome2 ever was.
it really boggles me that people are intent on selling mate as minimal when is and never was intended as such, only seeming so by comparison to gnome-shell

from mate-desktop.org/
>Where does the name come from?
>The name “MATE”, pronounced Ma-Tay, comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to make infusions and a beverage called mate.

Its no longer being developed

just like your brain

>the name comes from == the name it is
They are wrong and so are you. If they had used é they'd be right, but they haven't so it's impossible to argue in their favour. Also words aren't pronounced identically across languages. Why would anyone mix Spanish words if they're communicating in English/German/Russian/Chinese/whatever? The proper way to pronounce it varies depending on the language you're using, using English means it's "mate" as in "to breed" or "a friend/companion".

Kill yourself bluesabre.org/2018/04/21/xfce-pulseaudio-plugin-0-4-0-and-0-4-1-released
>april 21 2018

t. Doesn't say gahnoo or scuzzy.

nope fedora is :o)

It's maintained by the fedora organization (earlier redhat), 100x more stable, plus they aren't pretentious hipsters and they've just accepted gnome3 despite it's flaws (i.e the future for linux)

Attached: B9SZDH2CAAAW7wW.jpg large.jpg (640x640, 38K)

BTW, mir is a hopeless trainwreck of trying to copy the ideas put forward by wayland.org.. just look it up i've already reasearched all of this shit and concluded that ubuntu actually just inferior lots of distros.
the only thing they excel at is marketing

>xubuntu 18.04
>no minimal option
holy shit the meme is real

>american education

i'm curious, what resolution? mine's running at 1366x768 on sandy bridge integrated (take a guess which Jow Forums meme i fell for)

I'll replace 16.04 I think with the new LTS. Loving it so far.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-04-27 16-02-18.png (1366x768, 676K)

Mutiny layout isn't bad.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-04-27 16-08-40.png (1366x768, 1.34M)

what theme is that?

Was just testing out GTK3 themes on it. It's 'Matcha'.

opendesktop.org/s/Gnome/p/1187179/

...only thing I hate about Ubuntu MATE is their green theme. It's too "in my face" for my liking.

That's like the smallest pet-peeve in the world. You don't like the theme/color, you change it you autist.

>try to install the latest release
>no option to encrypt my home folder anymore

Is this a bug or did they purposely remove this option?