Home server general - /hsg/

home server general - /hsg/

minimalism edition

>Are you interested in learning Linux or BSD administration and configuration better. Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

>chat
> discord.gg/9vZzCYz
> riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

Attached: 1524665969172.png (853x621, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/9vZzCYz
orwl.org/about-orwl-first-open-source-physically-secure-computer/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146217
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

who else maximum /comfy/ under-couch server?

Attached: JPEG_20180127_022201.jpg (3120x4160, 1.57M)

just look at that cable management
unf.

Attached: JPEG_20180127_022141.jpg (3120x4160, 2.54M)

I'd ask how it survives a vacuuming, but it's clear that you don't vacuum down there. Disgusting!

Bruh.

Odroid C2:
>Samba fileserver
>VPN server
>Couchpotato, Sickrage
>personal wiki
>torrent daemon
>Firewall/DHCP/DNS server
>mailserver
>mysql
Shit's nice

Attached: odroid.png (1301x116, 9K)

Enterprise is moving to archlinux, so its the only OS that matters.

I have a pi behind my sofa plugged in to my router from a few years ago and I just checked, the apache server and SSH server are still running

post uptime

uptime = you havent updated time

bump

Is this how hell looks like?

My man. I even connect it to the Tv and watch movies with mplayer, all while torrenting.

>using systemd

> discord.gg/9vZzCYz
Hidden

Any military grade homeserver?

CentOS with SElinux configured to your autism.

What all do I need for setting up a 10gbit local connection? Just a switch that supports those speeds? Or do I need to buy a 10gbit lan card for my server?

orwl.org/about-orwl-first-open-source-physically-secure-computer/

is there any good online source to learn networking which is not a boring book

I just got a ML350 G6 with 8x146GB 10K SFF drives. How should I add 4 3.5 SATA HDDs to it without paying gorillion dollars for original drive cage, back plane and raid card. It has enough SATA and Molex connectors, so I only need some generic drive cage that fits without having to drill too many holes.

All the devices you want to have 10gbe need to have an interface that supports 10gbe.

There's a bunch of youtube playlists of CCNA/CCNP stuff. Download Cisco Packet tracer or GNS3 for training.

Alright fuckers, how do i set-up traffic shaping in pfsense so that traffic from vlan1 has higher priority than vlan2 but if vlan1 is not using it then vlan2 can use all of it.

Attached: reverse_racism1.webm (600x338, 712K)

>Military grade
That can mean a lot of things.

>home server die (some old computer I had)
>get back the data
>finally buy new hardware
>forgot we're in 2018
>they no longer comes with VGA or DVI output
fuck.

> minimalism edition
Can’t get more minimal than this.

Attached: 19A581AD-FA30-4EE5-B043-CA38BCADD83D.jpg (2224x1541, 189K)

Wish I could run stuff on the homeserver I built some time ago, but my internet connection at home is stupidly unstable.

The day when we get fiber here will be glorious and I won't have to rent virtual shitboxes on the internet anymore.

>2010
>read the city magazine
>[ISP] is going to install fiber in our city! it's for 2014
>2017
>oh wow ! they are starting to work on it!
>2018
>Hello sir ! you can now subscribe to fiber!
I want to boycott those retards now.

Want to eventually get a home server setup for Plex, backups, and maybe a small personal game server. What's the general consensus of building vs buying?

How do I make my Microserver Gen8 not forget it's disk arrays over a cold boot?

This is just a guess but sounds like your mobo/raid controller isn't receiving current from its battery and loses its config.

>What's the general consensus of building vs buying?
Always build.

What's the suggested way to build a NAS and backup server with ZFS+RAID0 (software or hardware raid)? I need SMB shares and possibly FTP or something more secure to access the contents.

Was thinking either a physical server with NetBSD or try to build a Gentoo server with Xen, running NetBSD as a guest. Not sure how to properly pass through the two disks I want to have ZFS on to the NetBSD guest or if that's even possible.

>raid system in case a disk fail vs a backup system for your data every x days
Which one have you or will you choose ?

Really? Why would they?

- Planning NAS. I want 12-16TB of working space.
- This would be somewhat a "redundancy" to what I already have, which is ~8TB, but this is badly organized (JBOD) and don't want to dwelve here.
- I aim forFreeNas with ECC support.
- AFAIK, rule of thumb says one GB of RAM for each TB. Is that true?

Case: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146217
Pros:
- Very cheap
- Up to 10 3,5 disks on side panel
- 2 SSDs to be mounted just above the PSU
- Enough space for cable management

HDDs:
5 x Seagate IronWolf 4TB 3.5" 5900 SATA III (ST4000VN008)
AFAIK, 4TB has best price per TB. Also are Seagate really bad, I mean that's what redundancy is for right?

Looking now for mobo. There is brand called SuperMicro which creates (x)TX form factors having support up to 32 ECC RAM and having 8-12 SATA ports. What could possibly go wrong here?

Attached: 51Pud+nC-JL.jpg (500x500, 42K)

I'm trying to learn how to cygwin so I can run a matrix server in windows

Attached: 1290462815343.jpg (400x345, 22K)

RAID 5 and 6 are cheaper than 1:1 backups, but backups are backups. Depends on how much you value your data.

why don't you try midipix instead?

Witnessed
Because I don't know what that is, and matrix.org mentioned cygwin specifically

Maybe like if you do RAIDZ3 on those drives or maybe 4 mirrors of the single 4TB drive you will be fine with Seagates.

If you aren't poorfag, buy WD GOLD or WD BLACKED. Hell even Toshiba is probably better than that Seagate garbage.

rtfm

you cis male biggot! you should be banned for this post!

HGST not good?
Is that just a meme created by that one site

Yes, HGST are no longer deadstars
They make great Enterprise drives

INSTALL GENTOO

the absolute state

New homeserver build, completed over the last few weeks. Everything is new except the server chassis which I got on ebay, fuck rackmount chassis are expensive

Never had anything remotely this nice before

Attached: IMG_20180427_205550_1265.jpg (3024x4032, 2.14M)

Looking good user, tell us the juicy bits

Chassis: Supermicro 846
Mobo: Supermicro H11SSL-NC (their newest EPYC board)
CPU: Epyc 7401p (24 core)
Ram: 64gb

Harddrives: 12 spinny disks, with 30TB usable zfs storage (mirror pool configuration)
OS boot drive is Evo 860

The orange cable coming out the back is connected to a Mellanox X3 56Gb/s infiniband card... sadly the best performance I can get over nfs is 1.4GB/s :(

Never had faster than gigabit ethernet or any kind of server stuff before, I basically blew my bonus this year

Attached: IMG_20180427_214532_1271.jpg (2000x1500, 2.29M)

with how easy it is to get a VM running nowadays, don't see the point of that.

Already running a centos machine using a ryzen 5

server has good noctua cooler also

much airflow very good many anime

>server
>minimalist

>spams discord links

Attached: autism-asshole-disease.jpg (600x750, 45K)

Seagate drives are basically the best around right now. The quality of WD black degraded. Not sure if they have fixed it in the newer drives but as of early this year seagate ironwolf NAS drives were the best drives basically.

I would suggest seagate Exos drives but there is less in terms of user data on how those are doing.

Retard time: looking to setup a home server to:
>Run a dead simple backend for a personal project/Android app
>Remote download torrents and serve media over LAN
Just need the actual hardware but dunno what to look for, as it doesn't need to be a full threadrippper + Win 10 rig obviously.

Attached: 1502149405959.jpg (750x937, 200K)

Oh god, here we go... (no kill like overkill edition)

2x Dell PE R620 (2x E5-2530 v2 / 128GB / 8x 900GB 10K / FDR Infiniband)
3x Dell PE R620 (2x E5-2660 v2 / 256GB / 10x 400GB SSD / FDR Infiniband)
1x Dell PE R720XD (2x E5-2660 v2 / 128GB / 12x 6TB 7.2K SAS / 2x 600GB SAS 10K / FDR infiniband)
1x Dell PE T410 (2x 5660 / 64GB / 6x 4TB / 2x 500GB SSD / 10x 1TB HDD / FDR Infiniband)

And two Dell SAS storage enclosures, each with 64x 4TB SAS.

Switches:
2x Dell PowerConnect 6248 w/ 10GB interconnect
2x Mellanox SX6036 FDR Infiniband
1x Dell PowerConnect X1018P (PoE managed)

The gear was cheap. Everything under $1K USD, and I'm currently using it for MCSE studying. If I shut the lab down, I'd keep the R720xd and the X1018P up, because Plex and PoE for the phones and access points.

Someone post that story about microsoft home server

Very nice, do you mind sharing details in the specs or cost?

windows server 2003

>why don't you try vaporware instead?

thats a housefire waiting to happen

kind old setup (its more effiecient nowdays with 2 less ceph on it but with the same storage)
imgur.com/a/s7Amt

anyone here is active on Jow Forumshomelab?

what's the purpose of those egg boxes

sound proofing ya dingus

its my personal anechoic chamber lol

Hey /hsg/, first time postan here.

I'm interested in making a home server just to host my website and maybe ftp or something else that's fun. I was looking at the rpi and it seems nice, but so does the Pi Zero. Is that too cheap of me to go for? It's 5 bucks, 512mb ram, and 1ghz processor. Would just need to buy a micro SD card.
Is it a better idea to buy something better for the potential? I'm a cheap college student.

Thanks.

er, I mean a Pi Zero W, at 10 bucks.

It's even worse since you're running a fucking server but the idea to use it as a fucking server (say for mumble) never comes to mind.

How much activity do you expect your website/ftp to have? RPI does have some bandwidth issues but maybe it doesn't matter if all your activity is burst or if you're constrained by your internet connection.

if you want to experiment yes a pi is perfect for a newbie
later on when you decide what type of freak you are(like me having 768tb of storage+my own dns bla bla )then you can start buying small external drives and start from there
learn how to control and setup network drives learn how to setup storage apps like storemi of amd to work as efficient as possible for net use

its fun but its not for those that dont have a decent paycheck each month..solely for the electricity bill..

Really not much at all, it's just for me/fun. Thanks user

Heh, not sure I'll get to that point but time will tell.

sadly its a matter of money not time and by that i dont mean an insane amount of it
but you gonna have to choose if you gonna spend it on the server or the pc..cant have both

I know DD-WRT has an easy toggle in QoS for this, just set vlan1 as "Maximum" and vlan2 as "Bulk"

Haven't messed with pfSense though.