Stack Overflow Isn’t Very Welcoming. It’s Time for That to Change

stackoverflow.blog/2018/04/26/stack-overflow-isnt-very-welcoming-its-time-for-that-to-change/?cb=1

We Too many people experience Stack Overflow1 as a hostile or elitist place, especially newer coders, women, people of color, and others in marginalized groups.
>Our employees and community have cared about this for a long time, but we’ve struggled to talk about it publicly or to sufficiently prioritize it in recent years. And results matter more than intentions.

Attached: Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-04-26 22:06:17.png (1280x800, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@Aprilw/suffering-on-stack-overflow-c46414a34a52
stackoverflow.com/questions/13744450/when-should-we-use-observer-and-observable/13744537#13744537
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

let's start with the painful truth: many people are provably too stupid for this and/or want to be baby fed and refuse to learn

They do have a lot of autistic people on their telling people things like "this is easy " or "you should know"( they obviously don't that's why they're asking). which implies that they're stupid, but they don't know because they're autistic. This is more of a computer programming thing at hole then a stack overflow issue.

Last time I asked for a loonix command /sqt/ ignored they gave me the exact command in return, without explanation
How is that harsh

They were nice to you because you're a white man. If you were a black Muslim woman , it would have gone very differently...

>It’s Time for That to Change.
Sure, but who's going to take responsibility for changing that?
>anybody else but me

>newer coders
Cool beans. It's expected. You could do something about this group, but it's not that big of an issue. Most questions have already been made, so in a way, this is already solved.
>women
Users could realize another user is a woman through profile or username. Could be an issue, but again, you ask the questions that you need to ask, and say no more. Be professional, not an attention whore.
>people of color
Say what now? I can only tell another user is a faggot because he's OP, not because I can see the damn fucker. What's this shit?
>and others in marginalized groups.
Same shit. What the actual fuck? Do they do meetups and burn it in their minds CodeUser67 is a Syrian refugee that has helped X people in the community, and suddenly start discriminating him?

What's this shit?

Who the fuck knows on the internet whether you're 'of colour', a woman, or 'other'?

because in those cases you say what you are to gain advantage.

Honestly As A Muslim Woman Of Color (WOC) I Feel Really Unsafe On Stack Overflow And That Needs To Change. White Men Keep Oppressing Me By Answering My Questions Poorly And I Know They're White Because They Keep Asking For Bob And Vegene

I just realized SO literally has a Vice President of “culture and experience” lmao
At this rate I’ll be learning Russian or Japanese so I don’t have to deal with the West any longer. Too bad I hate the Chinese because I know they don’t tolerate this shit

because when was the last time you saw the average person post anything that wasn't paired with a big obnoxious picture of themselves

Eh StackOverflow (and SE in general) is a mixed bag. In my experience you either get something similar enough to your question that you can figure the rest out yourself, or some busybody locks your question for being a "duplicate" of something completely unrelated. I have never seen actual hostility, just power tripping mods.

>be user2352463
>ask a question that's been answered before
>they actually show related questions while you're writing your question
>if you would've just written the question in Google you'd landed on the answer on SO
>question gets closed and redirected to the answered question
>"Those fucking power tripping elitists discriminating on my gendercolor!"

I wonder if they'll adjust the privilege system or the voting system. It was actually a bit hard to get enough reputation to actually use the site properly when I first got on SO. The current system is good though since it keeps retards and low quality posters out while encouraging autists to collect reputation by improving the site.

I wonder if they'll make voting down a moderator level privilege or make it cost -5 or -10 reputation. Some people seem to get super upset when I down vote their questions or answers for being unhelpful or bad.

DESU Improving comments and a beginner ask page would be good improvements.

>hostile or elitist place, especially newer coders, women, people of color, and others in marginalized groups.

This just shows that these ""people"" are more likely to feel hurt. Noone can tell your race or gender on the internet.

Can't A Shit Pie hurry up and remove Americucks from the internet already? So tired of their SJW Americuckery

We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and Second Hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there bravely while the rest retreated to the Chamber of…Mazarbul. We are still ho{ldin}g...but hope …Óin's party went five days ago but today only four returned. The pool is up to the wall at West-gate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin--we cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep.

They are coming.

Why the downvote???

>especially people of color
How does this make sense? Nobody can see that you are black or poo on the internet.

This. Remove the voting system. Downvotes hurt feelings. All answers are equally good.

programmers are by and large elitist cunts with a healthy dose of aspergers. they don't even like each other, they just get self sufficient enough to not ask another programmer for help

its fucking hilarious how HE immediately assumes that if you're too fucking stupid to follow the SO guidelines you must be a woman or a nigger

Attached: 1524438676061.png (512x378, 145K)

This post has been marked as duplicate by Janny

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

>fuck you stupid cunt here's the solution now fuck off

Attached: 0e3.png (600x339, 187K)

>baby fed and refuse to learn
I'm sure this is 99% of it. Someone tries something and gets xyz traceback/error code/etc and has minimal results on their stackoverflow post. So they post asking for the answer when they don't even know what the actual question is.
I'd say this happens pretty much everywhere with even difficult situations. The difference is that instead of your coworker seeing the bigger picture, it's your horrible question and probably a just as equal horrible answer. Which will just lead to "hurr this didn't work" and eventually some back & forth that is cold & stern. Toss in muh fragile women/PoC and here we are.
My personal earliest experiences were with linux forums in 2006 and it was so much worse, so so much worse.
Hell try going on IRC and asking for code advice to this day and you'll get flamed if it's bad. In 2012 I went in some C help room and got absolutely ass blasted over this small task script i wrote for a solaris 7 box.
I almost hope stackoverflow goes balls out on this and most of their contributors leave but it can also be helpful so fuck.

I'm tired of this white knights acting like they're doing good in every community I came like I don't know where to go now.

Attached: Faggot_2.png (964x475, 466K)

I don't think this is a problem with Stack Overflow in particular or something that affects "marginalized groups" (whatever the fuck that means), it's just that programmers in general have a coarser way of dealing with people.
It could be because the field attracts a lot of unsociable professionals, or maybe the nature of programming itself makes it tiresome to explain things in laymen terms.

The two best examples I have of online communities where people are kind and willing to help complete noobs are Skyscrapercity (an architecture and urban planning forum) and PePiPoo (a forum where you can get practically free legal advice when it comes to Parking tickets and traffic violations).
The former has an interesting array of professionals from architects to traffic engineers who will describe everything in detail if you demonstrate an interest in their profession, some excellent discussions take place there. The latter I was even more impressed with. I got a parking ticket which I thought was unfair and found the forum on Google, made an account and on the same day made a thread asking people to look at my case. I had 5 replies from experienced users who looked like legal professionals telling me what to do, how to appeal, what pictures/evidences to submit etc in a very friendly manner that surprised me positively.

SJWism aside, it really is sad that we don't find the same welcoming atmosphere amongst programmers. Maybe if the whole holier than thou attitude was toned down a little, we could have more normies interested in IT and not being completely hapless when it comes to things like security.

Attached: images.jpg (194x259, 7K)

I am looking forward to buzzfeed taking over this racist hell hole known as stack overflow

If I get mansplained to again on there i'm going to be realllly upset

All hail buzzoverflow

How the fuck can people, women, etc be marginalized in a place where you can't even know if they're people of color or women!?

Attached: miku uh.gif (242x227, 1024K)

when was the last time you heard a woman or nigger bitch about stackoverflow?

this is simply late stage kikery to destroy any institution through the power of shaming

Attached: 1524622580243.png (542x666, 248K)

I've been an active contributor at stackoverflow for years and have never seen anyone explicitly mention their gender or race in an insulting manner whatsoever. Sometimes you get insulted for code, that's it.

I really don't get this at all. Seriously stupid.

haven't seen much toxicity just stupid answers for stupid questions

I don't understand the specific complaints.

But yeah stack overflow is a shitty elitest place filled with dumbasses who are elitest because they got past programming 101.

So many times I go there knowing that my question has a specific answer, I just forget the library/structure for it. And some dumbass says "nope impossible lol, no such thing" and people actually upvote his dumb shit ass.

>Hey I have a TCP connection to this machine, how can I get it's ip address in my client program
>herp impossible
its in the god damn ip structure that gets sent with the packet. I can manually grab the damn thing using raw sockets if I want, I just need the damn name of the structure you useless sack of shit.

>welcoming atmosphere amongst programmers.
I've never seen someone flamed providing good tracebacks, context, and environment breakdown.
>Maybe if the whole holier than thou attitude was toned down a little,
Go ahead and try to answer SO posts all day and constantly have to explain basic terminology and concepts.
>we could have more normies interested in IT and not being completely hapless when it comes to things like security.
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
yes! the solution to security is piling on more people!!

the problem is people want to be spoonfed, they don't want to lurk, they don't want to pay for tutoring, they don't want to watch hours of lectures.
they want the solution right now with minimal input/output which is just not possible.

Sounds like you're not wording your questions properly.
Hell 9/10 times it's just better to read the documentation on the lib itself.

>they want the solution right now with minimal input/output which is just not possible.

It's possible and the internet makes it possible. You're an old dinosaur stuck in the past who can't understand technology.

First reply to his post is a nigress asking for gibs.

I see it happen way to often though.
Stack overflow is absolute shit, I get better help here on /djt/ than I can find there.

The biggest assholes on stack overflow aren't the people answering the questions, it's the people asking them. Entitled shits who expect code dumps and don't read the documentation that get angry when you call them out.

>It's possible and the internet makes it possible. You're an old dinosaur stuck in the past who can't understand technology.
Go try to answer some kids question about why they can't use their ruby script. Give them the correct answer (usually syntax) and they just say "Hurr doesn't work" because they followed some guide that uses RVM but the script doesn't #! the proper binary nor does the user ENV load the proper ruby binary so they're just trying to run it with ruby xyz on the system which is missing something they need.
This is the kind of shit that leaves everyone involved with a bad taste in their mouth.

Guess what minimal input to the question gets you? Not the answer to that problem.

>Stack overflow is absolute shit
No it isn't you faggot. It's literally the best website I know (ok, right after Jow Forums). I've learned so much from there.

This.

If you're learning that much from stack overflow its probably because you never learned how to do it in the first place.

>I don't know where to go now.
I'd say you're already in the perfect place.
When they say "you're here forever", I thought they mean that this place is simply very addicting. I didn't think they meant that there won't be any alternative websites to browse.

Attached: Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-04-27 01:21:18.png (1280x800, 96K)

lol, people need to grow the fuck up

medium.com/@Aprilw/suffering-on-stack-overflow-c46414a34a52

Attached: Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-04-27 01:25:42.png (1280x800, 185K)

Humans were a mistake

NEWSFLASH! Programmers can be opinionated assholes!

Now, putting women and niggers and "other marginalized" groups in some weird basket to say they should be coddled and protected from the evil, mean programmers is just so fucking patronizing it pains me physically. You just can't see someone's color or gender in fucking Stackoverflow, and it doesn't fucking matter. Also, there are plenty of pajeets and chinks using it and I honestly don't think they care (hell, I would wager most of those "offensive" comments are made by them).

literally exactly what I thought this dumb shit was about. i didn't even read this trash because i knew this would be it.
everyone wants the concept spoonfed to them when they just need to pickup a damn book and read the basic concepts.
I guarantee this stems from all those absolute trash bootcamps that try to teach soccer moms how to write websites with bootstrap in 2 weeks.

>Jow Forums
>STACKOVERFLOW IS FUCKING GARBAGE WHY ARE ALL THE ANSWERS UNHELPFUL AND CONDESCENDING
>Jow Forums today
>STACKOVERFLOW WAS PERFECT WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING REEE
hmm

this thread has been mostly saying stackoverflow is trash

There are a lot of sad individuals that lack control, respect or authority in their life. So they carve out a small niche online somewhere and lord it out over their domain and bully any newbies. It's really sad to be quite honest fammilams.

read all the tweets from here
This isn't even about people being bullies. People want to be coddled through elementary concepts that you learn week 1 in a CS course.

>what if she quits based on snarky internet messages
Good riddance

I understand women being turned off by Stack Overflow. It's not rewarding enough. And other users treat everyone as if they are yet another idiotic male. Women are rarely treated like that in reality, so it seems especially hostile. But the race thing I don't understand. I would expect black and Hispanic males to tolerate StackOverflow's behavior as well as other any other demographic.

>there are only extremes

>Look up relavent post
>The condescending text was taken out by a moderator two years ago with the line "Don't be a dick"
>The writer who made this clickbait literally brought up an old revision of a post to claim they were being harassed
Holy shit these people

Attached: Capture.png (1090x537, 34K)

Nah, it's shit, but they are trying to fix it with stupid methods, as expected.

>
OP is clearly a faggot, crackers males should be banned from stackoverflow, only women and men of color or low socioeconomic background should be allowed to use the site as they are the most civil

>I was responding to a post written by Joel Spolsky, one of the cofounders of Stack Overflow, about the history of the site. This post came out a few weeks after his company released a survey where over 90% of the respondents were men and over 74% were white.
Oof, you want 74% of people on the website banned?

Link please

>mfw there are literally people on HN arguing that women and pocs should be paid for their contributions

Attached: e42.png (356x256, 200K)

DESU it kind of IS hostile to newcomers. When I was new and asked a few too many questions I got like 5 or 6 accounts banned. Because my questions got downvoted or whatever, don't remember exactly. There's probably a better way to deal with 'help vampires' than forcing them to make new accounts constantly.
Though that "women, people of color, and others in marginalized groups" is bullshit.

Here's the post [Insert Pronoun] is talking about
stackoverflow.com/questions/13744450/when-should-we-use-observer-and-observable/13744537#13744537

HN is cancer, which is a shame that I've started browsing their more since it doesn't look like a distraction to the non-tech executives that routinely pass by my desk

Also to add, this is what the question looked like at the time that answer was made

Attached: StateOfQuestionAtTimeOfSnark.png (637x907, 46K)

b-But most stackoverflow posts are just people begging for working code without putting the effort in, its hostile to most newcomers that dont want to learn but want to make it work. i say ban them all

It's a OK to be hostile to some extent. Otherwise people will ask questions with no hesitation. If people ask Stack Overflow as a last resort, then they will put more effort into their problem and question.

desu Java is the reason you got banned

>I got like 5 or 6 accounts banned
Sorta offtopic, but I always enjoy the nonchalant attitude and subsequent skill toward ban-evading that people gain around here, which make it even more amusing when the answer most of these sites have toward "toxicity" is to ban without question

I think the job security argument is out of the picture here, there's no way someone like this could ever compete with anyone with even an iota of natural talent towards any subject

>social media analogy
It took me a good 5 minutes deciding between all my 25 "disgust" reaction images to settle on this. All those images between anger and disgust didn't do it justice because the disgust I feel from this is more akin to a involuntary gagging reflex and a complete lack of understanding than being able to understand how it came to be and formulating an actual emotion like anger or disgust. Just what went wrong? Where in history did mankind take the wrong turn that someone explains a programming concept with a twitter analogy?
I

Attached: 1323887315682.gif (120x113, 613K)

>some moron asks a trivial question that can be answered by reading the manual and/or documentation
>top rated answer is quoting the man page, or quoting the relevant documentation
Feels like every second question. Instead of taking the time to to make a post on SO and waiting for a reply to a trivial question, such person could have simply typed $ man cmd and searched for a keyword, and moved on. What's wrong with people?

If these_people.jpg would invest the work and ingenuity it takes to ban-evade into actually researching and answering their question, they'd waste a lot less time energy.

What it comes down to is that people expect stackoverflow (and everything else really) to do their work for them and spoonfeed them answers instead of putting in some effort themselves. Instead of starting off with their own research and using online communities like stackoverflow or /diy/ or Jow Forums for whatever is left of their issue, while at the same time contributing something back (what they've learned, progress with their project, etc), they expect to use these communities like a freely available resource where thousands of people do their work for them without any cost. And some of these assholes even have the gall to call themselves left-wing!

It's a problem of convenience culture and a lack of being willing to invest something and not a matter of being unwelcoming or racist/misogynistic/elitst. These are just symptoms of a community trying to defend itself against being abused without giving something back.

man pages are sexist.

>people expect stackoverflow (and everything else really) to do their work for them
/thread

Old and "inaccessible" tech. We live in a Node.js+Electron+DartVM+libgenderqueer.js world now.

When are they going to make WOMANuals?

not hard to ban evade there just make new email ids.

Yeah, it's also not hard to answer their fucking question, they just have to type literally the same bullshit they post on stackoverflow into google and they get the same results. They don't even have to wait for someone to reply!

$ alias xir=man
$ xir man

Oh, "man" stands for "manual"? I didn't even notice that until just now.
I always thought "man youtube-dl" means that a man explains youtube-dl to me.

I was talking here more than there since a combination of our mods doing it for free and Jow Forums's fairly aggressive ban detection means you have to git gud fairly quickly if you want to continue your shitposting spree

That being said I'm pretty sure more than a few people do have 20minutemail somewhere in their bookmarks

American education right?

They should rename the site to shartoverflow.

Implying people dont use stackoverflow as a last resort.

If a website doesn't domain block certain emails, they deserve me making dozens of fake accounts.

Aliases are sexist. You need to call things with the pronouns they are comfortable with.

>stack is getting both barrels of SJW buckshot
Good. Let them eat progress. I know a lot of top contribs who all agree with this political bullshit in their personal lives. Let's see how they like it on their favorite boards.

Yaaaaaas

>yfw ls stands for "list"
>yfw mv stands for "move"
>yfw rm strands for "remove"
>yfw cat stands for "concatenate"
>yfw sed stands for "stream editor"
>yfw bash stands for "bourne again shell", which is a pun on the phrase "born again" and the shell it replaces
>yfw GIMP stands for "green is my pepper"

Attached: gimpstaleham.png (592x1836, 282K)

You are poison and should find another hobby

>or some busybody locks your question for being a "duplicate" of something completely unrelated
This. Jesus fucking christ this, and it's not even my fucking questions. They'll do that without even reading the question, and it will be a legitimate question. Then I'll have to come along and edit and reword the question for the person just so that these braindead retard mods won't keep locking it.

Honestly, they need a feature where if the community overturns a moderator's actions, they lose 2^n reputation, where n is the number of times it's happened. The mods care more about spamming moderator actions to boost their stats than about actually making sure what they're doing makes sense and is to the benefit of the community.

> ubuntu replaces man with woman
> ignores arguments and returns a markov-chain generated stream of bitching and run-on sentences about fuckall until ^C

kekH^H^H^You should be ashamed of yourself.

stackoverflow is shit, so many faggots telling me "why are you asking this question", or "why are you doing this instead of this" instead of just answering my fucking question, fucking faggot hipsters
Jow Forums is unironically more useful for hard or obscure questions

Everytime I think I couldn't hate women more, they prove me wrong.
Fuck artificial wombs cant come soon enough

hey user if you didn't know asian women are pretty robotic, they are a good stand-in until fembots get produced

Nah m8 I will stay you can go fuck yourself though :).

why is every company run by cucks

If I could bash your head in that'd be great. I didn't even knew such amount of anger and disgust was possible