Can you get a job in CS with just a degree?

Can you get a job in CS with just a degree?

No projects and internships.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 109K)

It's certainly possible, but you're competing against people with projects and internships. That means your chances of getting a good position becomes lower.

Why don't you have any projects? You should have completed at least a few large projects for classes while working on your CS degree. Just clean up some of those and put it on your github

Sure

It's going to be much tougher though as you have no prior experience or relevant skills, just a piece of paper.

>with just a degree?
AHAHAH

No, employers are mostly interested in finding somebody who has already done whatever it is they want you to do.

How long do you have to be employed for the work experience become more valuable than a degree? I have a graduate offer but don't plan on staying with the company for more than a couple of years.

Is it too late to apply for a fall or summer internship at this point?

no.
>No projects and internships.
pffff no

A year is good. Three years is better.

But 2 weeks of job experience is probably more valuable than just "a degree."

>You should have completed at least a few large projects for classes while working on your CS degree. Just clean up some of those and put it on your github.

this

I do have several projects I could post on github.

How important are internships though?

Yes. I got easy 6 fig salary with non cs 0 internships. My only projects was my physics thesis and a class project.

Unless it's an internship intended to transition into a Job in that company at the end of it, I'd seek greener pastures.

I hear stories like this all the time of people with no experience getting amazing jobs, and then others who end up having to work at mcdonalds or going back to grad school. Congrats man, but still you're a rare case.

What would you consider instead?

Bullshit. I sent hundreds of tailored applications. I studied algos for a couple months straight. Hardly ended up getting phone screens but I made each one count and passed all of them. I ended up with multiple offers.

If you're good maybe. The hard part will be getting through the door when other people have already done internships. Not to mention the massive push for diversity in CS.
I have a friend whose still searching after 3 years.
If you're having a hard time getting a gig. Take a tier 1/2/3 support job while you continue to search. At least you'll be getting paid and have something relevant to your degree.
Definitely get some shit on github though.

Sounds like you don't even need one. Just spent time on reddit and everyone says they found a job within 3 months of graduating (below 3.0, no projects, no internship).

Just don't apply in big cities and you'll be fine. Got a SE job before I graduated as a computer engineer major with no internships or projects

nice

start some projects
like, literally anything
even if it's just a small website, some scripts you wrote to do whatever cleaned up, documented, and packaged for general use, whatever, that's something

you should have some sort of way to show "yeah, I'm not literally just some guy with a piece of paper" since I've seen people at my uni who would take an hour to do a problem on the level of say, fizzbuzz and still get it wrong

Would you hire an architect/handyman to build/repair your house if he only had a piece of paper showing that he went to school somewhere at some point in time?

Same concept.

Don't be lazy.

Attached: 1296254181088.gif (457x461, 67K)

Maybe at a help desk. I had friends who refused to get internships and build a proper tech resume. They are doing shit

Absolutely but it will be a boring graduate job fixing trivial typos in Java or something. If you're lucky, you picked up a class in some niche language and can do a little better.

The fun and high-level graduate jobs involve honours theses/projects and internships. Everyone I know at Google did honours projects, the ones that went straight into Google from uni did an internship there too. Only the ones who already had a career in industry got into Google without an internship but they still did honours in uni and had a few random github projects too with a profile in the open-source community.

I'm looking for work and I've lost count of the jobs that asked me for github links in the application. I literally created some gists yesterday specifically because a potential employer emailed me (not even a form letter) to ask for code samples.
I'm working on a hobby project right now largely to provide a sizable portfolio piece to show employers.

>Unless it's an internship intended to transition into a Job in that company at the end of it, I'd seek greener pastures.
Oh yeah, internships are mostly only valuable to the company that it was with, other companies won't care much about that. In fact they're probably going to ask (or wonder) why you didn't get an offer from it.

>Not to mention the massive push for diversity in CS
That's not really an issue BECAUSE of the need for diversity. Just because a female, black graduate has an advantage, doesn't mean that any female, black graduates are actually applying for your position or are qualified for the job. The reason for the push is because the people it applies to are so under-represented, there are so few of these people going for the jobs that the competition from them is barely a factor.