>not using tiling wm in 2018

You cant deny practicality

Attached: destap(1).png (1366x768, 621K)

kill yourself faggot no one cares about your hobby wm

I do and the guy who made it does that makes two

Beat it scumbag

Jow Forums is officially irrelevant

is there a tiling wm that has a feature similar to screen's 'focusminsize'?

>using 1366x76B8 in 2018

I use i3 on my laptop, but a tiling wm makes no sense for a desktop desu

Wow, you can have two windows open at once? That's crazy

Attached: 1522966345068.png (640x480, 353K)

see how the windows change size when i change to them (the green bar shows the focused window)?
i have 'focusminsize 80 25' that ensures every focused terminal window is at least 80x25. i haven't been able to find a tiling window manager that doesn't completely torpedo the 80 column rule. halp!

Attached: output.gif (640x512, 2.11M)

And alt tab between them
Plus multiple workspaces and tiny borders means you sacrifice

> be me
> Have 4k resolution
> No need for useless wm

>browsing web with keyboard
current state of Jow Forums

>2 borders
Kys.

What the fuck is the point of tiling wms?
Hell, in Openbox you can just un-decorate windows and choose to have them open on a certain desktop, in a certain spot, etc.

sure it does
press mod+w

or even better
workspace_layout tabbed

it's simple. openbox is great but there's so much shit you can configure, i3 is basically just plug&play

Isn't that better though? You can do so much more.

>windows can't overlap
dropped

sure but what if you don't need to, and the rc.xml is static so you have to tailor it to yourself at least a bit before you even use it
i3 is just straightforward and the config is a somewhat easier if you just need a wm running
>yes i use both, but i3 atm
one thing i noticed is that i3 deal better with wine windows if they're not set to use the wm for decorations, ob had some issues with window switching iirc

>ITT: I like anal

>saw people using i3 on Jow Forums
>try it out
>sweetjesus.jpg
Never going back I have seen the light, it is tiling wms

>> implying i'm not.
gentoo user since 2006 here. i ran it on clusters and all sorts of hardware. left IT industry. phd in neurosurgery now. still run gentoo.

Attached: screenshot.png (2536x1405, 300K)

how did you film that? i'm not up to date with these gimmicks. Is that a tty recorder and you're splitting in emacs?

that's surprisingly agreeable
besides you can use the mouse with some tiling WMs

>mplayer in 2018
>doing other tasks while watching a film instead of giving art the sole focus it deserves

I rarely actually watch movies, I've always got TV shows and movies playing for background noise

>not multitasking
>not watching movies at 1.1x their speed to get more time to watch more movies
hows it feel being an brainlet?

i3-gaps

serious reddit tier meme

>have bigger & higher resolution screen
>putting multiple windows next to each other actually makes sense now
>don't use a tiling wm
Why?

KDE is too comfy for me to leave it.

qutebrowser works pretty well

what are you watching

It was deep state ep 1. I didnt make it very far its Jow Forums teir shit

Gaps in twms are TRASH

>Shadows 80% of your applications' shortcuts
Nothing personnel kid

why does every tiling wm setup i see on 4changs is on a single tiny res laptop monitor?

is there really a benefit setting up something like i3-gaps for two 1080p monitors when you can just use xfwm features in xfce?

Attached: 1424548471114.jpg (960x952, 305K)

>is there really a benefit setting up something like i3-gaps for two 1080p monitors when you can just use xfwm features in xfce?
I second this question. Tiling seems kind of pointless when you can just snap windows to corners/halves of the screen, especially if you omit or use slim titlebars.

what font is this?

>use windows 10
>can just super+arrows to tile my shit
>have an OS that I can actually do work on
Do people really using tiling wm for anything besides posting on Vietnamese cartoons board?

I myself was skeptical before trying tiling WMs, but after trying i3 for a while I was convinced. Not only that, it made me realize how little I actually needed to perform tasks.
>launch programs with dmenu, or even better, custom shortcuts
>manage networks with nmcli, ir wifish on void
>udiskie for automount

That's it. I don't even rice that much, I only removed borders and changed the font and color in i3status, for the rest it's almost vanilla except for a few custom commands.
My whole experience is now less bloated, faster and more efficient, with no loss of functionality.
I have nothing against "traditional" DEs, I just prefer a twm if given the choice. If I were to use a DE, it would probably be Xfce, since it's relatively light while still offering a complete experience. KDE and especially Gnome are just trash.

>having such functionality hardcoded into the os instead of using properly modular software

And that's wrong because...?

It can't auto-manage your windows like tiling wm tho.

wish that was feasible

>The only problem is when a window opens that you haven't pre-scripted to tile properly.
What? I have never had this happen to me, what shitty wm do you even use that can't tile everything by default?

I use tiling wms at 1920x1200 and its great

Heres an example of scripted tiling.
Try that with your wm.

Attached: gimp.webm (1354x768, 919K)

I work on 3840 * 1200 over 2 monitors with AwesomeWM

I could never go back to a standard window manager - I can just organise things better in AwesomeWM. Need a new terminal? One keypress and a new one appears, and it auto-tiles.

I'd recommend it

How's a TM better than my tmux?

it can tile stuff your tmux can't

Sure thing but what if the only apps I use besides terminal (urxvt) is a mpv and Firefox...

I'm pretty much the same

I just find that not having to press the Tmux leader every time you want to move terminals is convenient

You can always rebind Ctrl-B to SuperKey in your .Xresources...

theres only two good out there

dwm or i3

pic rel

Attached: minim.png (700x3000, 266K)

tiling is pointless because:
1. terminals need different sizes depending on what is currently running in them
2. I have too many windows to tile on one workspace, and organizing multiple workspaces is extra work
3. it doesn't matter if windows overlap
4. good floating window managers also provide scripting and geometry saving

Can do the same on my KDE. And wasted ram = unused ram

Attached: 1524832176282.png (700x3000, 283K)

organizing and moving between workspaces with i3 is ridiculously easy
you're talking shit about something you didn't even try

WTF? Bullshit. I'm not using a TM but I'm mostly splitting screens into tmux... Too many Windows to tile, what are you, dude, a fucking word processor secretary?

speaking of tiling, how do you fix popups? I thought I would experience more freedom and stability switching from i3 to bspwm but I still need to fix every little thing. I like the openbox approach to window managers but I tried it once and its config manager was a messy buggy pile of shit not only making it difficult to edit configs but causing also errors in the config itself breaking the whole wm.. is there a wm merging tiling and floating windows? or maybe just a better openbox? please no lua-only wm

Attached: 1504282325606.png (740x197, 55K)

more like
>2018
>using tiling wms.

>any DE on any OS nowadays has ways to to tiling
You can't deny obsolesce either

>tiling by clicking and dragging

hahahahaha

It's not if you only use terminal applications and you're working on a remote server via ssh. In that case, tmux is superior.
But if you're using graphical applications on a local machine, a good twm can give you the same benefits tmux brings to the terminal, only applied to non-terminal applications. Both have their place, and both are worth using in specific situations.

>Two tiny windows on a tiny screen
>B-but at least they take up minimal space :)

>All that wasted real estate

An Hero.

Void (Minima even if not on that list)
i3
Waterfox
ranger
mpv, ncmpcpp+mpd
feh
Vim
zsh :(
urxvt

They are a meme, OP.

Multitasking kills productivity, and the only moment I really need several tilled windows is for my gdb,terminal, vim... for which I use tmux.

>I can choose whatever DE I feel like.
>my PC is still accesible when needed.
>I can install tmux in fucking everything (windows included) and Ill never have to learn other shortcuts again.
>working locally and remotelly feels the same.

It will still take me years to completelly master zsh, vim and tmux, I dont see why I would lose time and energy to learn yet another tool.

>I3
>Plug and play
Are you serious? It's the most unintuitive WM.
For ease of use try bspwm.

Tiling wm's that force me to use a keyboard to move/close windows around are fucking useless. When are they implementing arbitrary mod button support instead of that archaic xbindkeys/xmodmap bullshit? You can't even use non-keyboard events with those things and they aren't working in wayland at all.
How can you guys even fap through your collection when one hand has be on the keyboard at all times?

Bspwm uses sxhkd.
You can define pretty much all you want, including mouse.

sure i'm serious
>most unintuitive
how so?

>speedwatcher
Dumb faggot

I've tried it again some time ago and default behaviour seemed to be opening new tabs beneath the active one, resulting in less screen estate with every open window.

The idea of integrated tabs is interesting for something like "vimb", be having it by default for everything is pretty strange.

Then there are inner and outer borders for every "frame", which make gaps complicated and ugly.

I've got Tangled in the tabs. It was nice, once I've disabled them, but after that I didn't see anything that made it better than bspwm and I enjoy sxhkd very much.

pretty sure default is to split [ left | right ]
imo that's pointless tho

workspace_layout tabbed
hide_edge_borders smart

is all you need

Hey thanks, that looks more sane. But I couldn't find a single example that doesn't use a modifier. I didn't try it yet but it seems l can't do "button8 + button3" or something along the lines.
I will fuck around with it later in hopes that it just works but I don't have any hopes for that.

Write on GitHub and ask.
The way you define mouse actions changed around 2 versions ago.

Also, check bspc man for mouse actions.

I tried once to ask a dev for that but got the response that they would have to completely revamp input handling and add hacks to do this. It seems that decades of keysims has made the softwarestack kind of inflexible.

I hoped sway would bring something new to the table but they are busy with constant rewrites and they use the same interface schemata as everyone else so I don't really want to bother them with edge-cases like me. I do think it would make adoption from DE users easier, though.

>Also, check bspc man for mouse actions.
Yeah, looks like non modifier actions aren't supported. It's still just shift, control, lock, mod1, mod2, mod3, mod4 and mod5 + button*.

Sucks to be me.

Sorry to give the wrong info.

I think you can try Smithay developers. They are the 2 guys who wright their own vision of "wlroots".

But don't expect the finished result this decade.
Unfortunately, Wayland is still not ready in the slightest.

Sorry, I'm not autistic.

>You cant deny practicality

Yes you can.

You are now aware that bugn exists for windows.