Android mass storage device

Once upon a time, an Android phone could be usb connected to a Linux computer, and could be used just like any other usb mass storage device.

No more. No they want to force you to do file transfer online, through NSA/GCHQ-net.

Is there still an EASY way to do usb direct data transfer, in 2018?

Attached: shutterstock-anger-grief-blog.jpg (1000x666, 165K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/whoozle/android-file-transfer-linux
code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=75259
hastebin.com/alihidalox.bash
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're an idiot

Ext**, F2FS et al aren't safe for concurrent mount, so mass storage usb in android used to work by having the phone unmount its own storage.

This obviously played havoc on the phone with any running applications, suspend, and so on. It was the right thing to replace it with an application-level protocol that was safe for both the phone and the PC to use at the same time.

I don't know whether MTP was the right choice but it's okay at least.

Install KDE Connect, it automounts your phone wirelessly and lets you browse via a seamless fuse mount

What phone are you using, a newer one? My Note 4 just works on my Win 7 PeeCee

1. grab cable
2. connect phone to computer
3. select "mtp device"
4. ????
5. profit

Please explain.

Show your work.

what are you talking about, faggotini?

that being said, mtp is slow as balls

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-28_17-06-25.png (1213x682, 117K)

I think Opie is using Linux, not Windows.

Is this something they're done in Android 8? Because I use mtp all the time on Android 7

Why don't you just get a hard drive or a thumb drive?

Why would you use a phone?

i just use ftp

1. grab cable
2. connect phone to computer
3. look for 'select "mtp device"', nowhere to be found.
4. ????
5. loss.

Attached: IMG_20171209_121713.jpg (400x400, 32K)

Linux is a literal timesink. Minimize the VM and go back to wankblows like everyone else son.

To use phone as a media player, frequently add and delete media, and to frequently offload camera pictures to computer.

for that i use syncthing
why do it manually when i can do it automatically?

Android 6 (Marshmallow).

so OP, do you have a problem with MTP? if so, can you explain what the fuck is it?

That's what I'm talking about.
But just can't seem to make it happen.

Attached: Blank+_56cad39db543b25160053f0da8ec2e93(1).jpg (750x713, 87K)

adb?

You're so retarded it's almost ridiculous, click the USB charging button in your notification shade

yes
fucking uselessly slow
not that you consumer fags will realize you're getting buttfucked

Yes.

I don't know why it doesn't work.

What OP is talking about?
I keep my lineage updated, and can easily transfer files form my device to my computer using USB. The only thing that changed was the need to manually allow it in the cellphone.

since i initially installed the arch based antergos distro without DE or anything, i sometime later installed these 2 packages, restarted compooter and it just werked

microdofs windings also happens to require a driver to hook up an android device, so it's not much different in that regard..

forgt pictr

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-28_17-35-21.png (1338x599, 320K)

Mountable storage had it's own issues, but MTP is shit, even compared to that. Google is incapable of innovation, so instead of fixing their shit, they settled for garbage protocol, created by Microsoft (whose own mobile OS tanked because of their sheer incompetence).

>that being said, mtp is slow as balls
There is a faster MTP stack, that fixes some of issues with speed: github.com/whoozle/android-file-transfer-linux

Unfortunately, the problem isn't with MTP alone: USB itself is kind of garbage (and so are Linux USB stacks, both Android and desktop). The author of linked tool has researched the reason behind poor speeds and found out, that most applications poll USB devices with fixed delays (which are often stupidly high). But if you try to poll with higher frequency, your USB hardware may get wonky, misbehaving at best and halting the system at worst: code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=75259

Use windows

>not sftping and rsyncing your stuff to and from you're phone
How does it feel to be this technologically illiterate?

Just use samba over wifi

Attached: 1521383242292.jpg (445x445, 111K)

adb push

> Implying that file transfer does not suck on Windows
MTP is a garbage protocol, that does not even support partial file transfer. Microsoft should be subjected to class-action lawsuit for making that failure a de-facto standard.

>transfering over USB

Just use Amaze to host an FTP server on your phone and enter the address into your PC's file manager.

Fast and convenient.

this thread reminded/encouraged me to finally write something to handle mounting my phone via ftp automatically (and finally make use of avahi which i installed ages ago but never got around to doing anything with)
wrote a script just now to mount my phone's ftp server as it becomes available, so i can just hit the 'ftp server' widget, and it shows up as a mount right away, no need to open an ftp client
output;
$ ./a.sh
Server "GT-I9505032FTP032Server" found at "192.168.1.200:2121".
Mounted curlftpfs#ftp://192.168.1.200:2121/ at /media/ftp-192.168.1.200
Server "GT-I9505032FTP032Server" has disappeared.
script;
#!/bin/env bash
stdbuf -oL avahi-browse -p --resolve _ftp._tcp |\
while read event; do
if [[ "$event" =~ ^= ]]; then
name=$(cut -d';' -f4

>adb
>adb push

Seriously, /thread could have been called twice over this.
What is wrong with you faggots?

bit nicer;
hastebin.com/alihidalox.bash
$ ./a.sh
Server "GT-I9505 FTP Server" found at "192.168.1.200:2121".
Mounted curlftpfs#ftp://192.168.1.200:2121/ at /media/GT-I9505 FTP Server
Server "GT-I9505 FTP Server" has disappeared.

[SOLVED!]

TURNED out to be a hardware issue.

Bad usb cable.

Thanks to all who were helpful.

Attached: 4fcee6a438e9783fef7c24452c3cde2ba9cb9fbe2d193e74f0987cebb4cac500.jpg (480x563, 62K)

>>adb push
> Slow
> Hangs often
> Not resumable
> Blows up on large files
> Huge per-transfer overhead
> Causes processes to enter uninterruptible sleep, making them unkillable even with "kill -9"

Establishing network connection over USB and using WebDAV/FTP/whatever is much faster and more convenient

Smartphone is apparently too smart for you gramps.