What's the appeal of Void? If you would compare it to Arch Linux or Debian...

What's the appeal of Void? If you would compare it to Arch Linux or Debian, what would you tell me are the differences or things considered as advantages in your opinion?

Attached: Void_Linux_logo.svg.png (1200x989, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

troubleshooters.com/linux/void/whyvoid.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>still no mate 1.20 updates
What's taking this distro so long

Attached: (JPEG Image, 267 × 181 pixels).jpg (267x181, 8K)

I really like Void, the installer is easy and fast and xbps is okay compared to say pacman. But I mean the main appeal is switching systemd for whatever it was using. Boots fast and does fine.

I rolled back to Arch tho because I couldn't get some programs to work my way, I can't remember what the problem was anymore tho. Void is a wee bit too small atm, they only run one repository server in europe and another mirror in america and when I tried to include the american mirror to my config I got double hits for all packages when doing a package repository search.

But Void is very promising, I hope it will be my go-to distro in the future.

>less dependencies on average
>can be Poettering-free with ease
>musl variants
>one of the most robust package managers out there
>libressl instead of openssl by default
>sane defaults in general for many packages

read more here:
troubleshooters.com/linux/void/whyvoid.htm

I like how firefox in void is built with telemetry enabled

it's the only musl based distro usable for desktops

does it have binary blobs in kernel? is it FOSS even though its not endorsed?

yes
no
why would it be?

this pic

Attached: sex.png (700x3000, 266K)

Its great, but I wouldn't install it right now if you want to use proprietary Nvidia drivers.
Your driver won't get loaded at the current Kernel.
Gave me some headaches yesterday after upgrading.
Wait a week or so and it will be fixed probably.

binary blobs automatically mean that you are coin flipping on the potential backdoor part(especially when it's drivers, it has direct access to the hardware). the whole point in choosing Linux over Windows is the fact that it's not a literal botnet. we both know that Microshaft features and convenience dwarfs Linux by a long shot, a risk of distro being a botnet already misses the whole point of existance of that specific operating system.

Not void's fault you buy hardware from people that hate and sabotage open-source efforts.

Meme distro, systemd-free is the only appeal but again, if systemd is good enough for torvalds, is good enough for anyone else.

Torvalds doesn't give a shit about userspace.
If his daughter can print without entering a root password he's happy.

I didn't buy it. It's a hand-me-down from my father.
And I didn't say its voids fault. I just tried to warn some potential users.

>the whole point in choosing Linux over Windows is the fact that it's not a literal botnet.
Not really. It's a plus, but not why I use Linux.

This. Windows could be 100% FOSS and I wouldn't use that piece of shit.

Arch with different init - faster. Slightly fewer deps for this machine compared to my Arch box. Pragmatic distro.

disable it and stop crying
problem solved

By the way, for those that use Void, does anyone else have issues with Firefox being really slow? It's bizarre, never really had issues on Arch, but it feels quite slow on Void. Chrome and surf work fine.

Is there a Linux-libre fork of Void yet?

Is musl actually useful or is it just a meme?

The ponies of course!

Attached: mylittlevoid.png (1920x1080, 75K)

Binary blobs in kernel == hardware botnet
But if you are using a modern cpu, you have an unavoidable hardware botnet even on Linux-libre, it's called the IME or PSP.
If my hardware is a botnet, I'd prefer it to work instead of not, tyvm
Even then, it's still way less botnet than Windows.
And no, Windows does not dwarf Linux in features and convenience. In fact, it is very inconvenient for any power user. It's only convenient to people who are not tech savvy.

It's actually disabled and greyed out as far as what you can disable from the preferences. The fact that turning it of from the preference panel still leaves on a few things in about:config is a Mozilla problem not Void's