Inb4 it's not decentralized

>inb4 it's not decentralized
>inb4 moxie is a jew
>inb4 CIA honeypot
Keep making up excuses, you know it's the best we got so far.

Attached: lxFDD-4n.png (512x512, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/en/packages/eu.siacs.conversations/
github.com/Gargron/xmpp-web
omemo.top/
signal.org/blog/the-ecosystem-is-moving/
signal.org/android/apk/
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13691050
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Send me some cp OP

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-28-06-46-27.png (1080x1920, 319K)

>he doesnt know about ricochet

X M P P
M
P
P

What mobile software uses this protocol/standard?

Use GNU ring, nigger

Conversations
f-droid.org/en/packages/eu.siacs.conversations/

>not using sse to encrypt messages and hide them in images

and for desktop you can use profanity (ncurses) or gajim (gui). both support omemo encryption, message carbons and archive management.

Thanks user.

Does it do group chat like riot.im?

Can someone recommend a free public xmpp server?

Is there any good xmpp web client?

i have been messing around with
github.com/Gargron/xmpp-web
but can't get anything to work past the login screen. it doesnt seem like they will implement omemo anytime soon anyway.

bookmark this, guys:
omemo.top/

xmpp does

/thread

Good luck with getting your normie friends/family on that

I'm with you. It's so hard to get people to use anything other than SMS. Dumb iOS niggers also refuse to switch. I can't switch to gnu ring, or xmp to talk to two people that might adopt and sms for everyone else. Signal allows for sms and encrypted messages. Need more apps to adopt this.

Good luck with getting your normie friends/family on Signal/Wire/Telegram/etc

it's the same shit

I already successfully convinced most of my acquaintances. But that's because I'm a leader. Not a fucking lazy procrastinating fat neckbeard like you who I honestly think could not even follow properly the Gentoo's Handbook in order to install it...

It's way easier to get people from Whatsapp to Signal, since it's pretty much the same, only more secure.

That's impressive that you got your parents to switch. You are a the master race.

> xml
this is what Jow Forums has become

>But that's because I'm a leader. Not a fucking lazy procrastinating fat neckbeard like you who I honestly think could not even follow properly the Gentoo's Handbook in order to install it...

hahahaha what you really are is a buttblasted projecting dork, holy shit

Those are all valid complaints. Take pic related for example
>federated, you can always host your own
>there's nobody who owns the thing, it's an open standard
>again, it's completely free and you can host your own cia nigger free server if you want to
Keep making up excuses to keep using your walled garden botnet while I use a free service :^)

Attached: serveimage(2).png (1200x1234, 86K)

>requires phone number

dropped

at least no1 can steal your account in other way than physical

the provider or a state agency (or hackers) can take over your phone number.
also if you use a disposable sim and don't keep it alive the number gets recycled.
and in some countries you can't even buy a sim anonymously.

Best plug and play replacement for iMessage/WhatsApp/Telegram, pretty bad when you take the brainlet tier ease of use out of the equation
This is what anyone not completely brainlet uses

Most carriers will reassign your number to Ivan if he knows the bare minimum about you

those are all valid points

Care to elaborate more on this?

There's an option (PIN) that prevents someone from taking over your account once activated on your telephone.

I already converted most of my friends and family to mix of signal and telegram.
I really want to get my friends on matrix but it would be a tough sell.

moxie is a san fran man

Attached: feb_cm_wnbr.jpg (640x360, 84K)

Signal is great but if your using android they just remote screenshot the app

Thoughts on XMPP Astra Chat? Its the only one that functions across IOS, Android, OSX, and Windows - which is absolutely necessary if I'm going to be transitioning my friends to it.

>Using anything else than Tox

>xml shit
>reliability (as in message ACKs) in communications between federated servers is an extension, introduced recently.
>zombie presences and lost messages due to above being too late in the game
>spec too complex, clients are shit as a result.
Just... no.
Tox is proper fully distributed + mandatory e2e, and it has advanced a lot in the past couple years despite lack of manpower.
There's literally no reason to use anything else unless you're a cuck or need to talk with cucks.

Faggot.

>you know it's the best we got so far
That's not Wire, user.

Signal is cool and all, but:
>It requires a SIM card, so that's a dealbreaker unless you go through the bother of setting it up with a burner phone or something
>It's very bland and stripped down when compared to Whatsapp (Yes I know whatsapp uses signal's protocol), so normies won't see the point
>The desktop client is also very bare bones
>Based in the US so it's always subject to burger law

With Wire, you get
>Also open source
>Also e2e encryption
>Based in Switzerland (good luck burger agencies)
>Has extra features that appeal to normies (you can send drawings, and send messages with voice filters on)
>Desktop client is slightly better than Signal's (although it's not exactly good either)
>Doesn't need SIM card

Attached: unnamed.png (300x300, 21K)

Wire keeps metadata

>centralized crap
Never learning.

>They know the nicknames of your contacts
Woooooooow

Considering switching to ricochet. Does it leave any metadata physically?

Between Wire and Signal, which one is more lightweight and taking less storage? (i just going to use it for 4-5 family member)

>not on F-Droid

Dead to me
also, moxie glows

0/0 is not "most" of your acquaintances user.

Why can't these retards actually make it an iMessage competitor already.

this
/thread

conversejs.org

why does all of this crap use nodejs
fucking cancer

>acquaintances

>threema
>fully anonymous
>no one can steal your account because it only exists on your phone

signal.org/blog/the-ecosystem-is-moving/

they offer the apk on their homepage
signal.org/android/apk/

what's it mean when i get two checkmarks after sending a message, but that person no longer appears at the top of my contact list with a blue letter next to their name.

SIM CARDS REQUIRED
FUCK OFF

use google voice

Do you even lift, bro? I got 61 people on my Signal contact list. I've recommended it to friends and family, colleagues and acquaintances. As I said, I'm a leader, not a fucking neckbeard.

IRC, xmpp, matrix/riot, tox, etc.
Signal, wire, silence, etc.

Jow Forums will never be able to decisively decide which of these are better. Prove me wrong.

Signal doesn't
Signal
Closed Source

Attached: 1513107780506.jpg (2250x2477, 416K)

>Need a phone number to register
>Secure
Yeah sure

Why have a phone if you care about security?

Honest question.

>Implying GCM, on which Signal depends, is free software

Security/privacy isn't a binary black or white thing, there are many nuances involved.
We can live without internet, but that's cumbersome, so we compromise.
Signal is surely better than the likes of Skype, Telegram or Discord, but we can do even better than that.

Yep, hosting your own XMPP server and using Conversations + OMEMO encryption on a degoogled android phone.
Now fucking kill yourself moxie kikenspike.

GCM != Google Play
I'm talking about Google Cloud Messaging. If you don't have Google Play Services installed you won't get any push notifications unless you open Signal. There was once a fork called "LibreSignal" but Moxie didn't like the idea and they had to shut down. That's the Signal dev's stance on freedom.

By the way: Threema has an optional independend polling option. But since it's closed source, it's just an option to talk to normies. is the right thing to do in the long run.

Dear uninformed retard:

Signal added websocket support over a year ago. It does not need GCM any longer. It even says so on their support docs.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13691050

Please educate yourself because you touch a keyboard.

>Closed Source
whitepapered and audited.

Signal literally killed itself when the faggot lead developer moxie decided to not release any apk and only makes it possible to get the app from google play store.
What is the point of using a (((secure))) instant messaging app when in order to do so it is mandatory to have a fucking malware installed on the device?

tl;dr centralized.
>federalized
lol, no.

distributed or GTFO

The app has been out for over a year. It doesn't need Google play anymore. Do you even read the news?

No, I don't since moxie is an entitled faggot that does not even know the meaning of FLOSS.
Since we are at it, where can I get the APK if I don't have google play store?

signal.org/android/apk

...or full name and surname if you store name like normal person.
It's big violation of privacy and security for me.

How do I get to that page without knowing the url or having to find it out of pure luck after an unrelated google search?
When I go to signal.org and click on Android I get redirected to the play store.
I am not here to bash on signal but that cunt moxie sure is some shady motherfucker, he released the software as open source just because like the good kike he is he needs to virtue signal as much as he can.
The whole f-droid affaire is enough for me to not support the motherfucker and his goddam software.

Sigmal isn't perfect but the best we have currently.

I wished more people would use+shill GNU ring.

I used it for some time on Linux and honestly it is fucking shit.

GNU/Linux or Android/Linux?

GNU/Linux, Fedora specifically.
The software kind of works but voice calls are laggy and full of statics to the point they are unusable.

/thread

R I N G
I
N
G

I used to shill Tox despite its flaws but Ring fixes most of them and is actually in development too.

>Sigmal isn't perfect but the best we have currently.
Stop spreading lies...
Fact: signal is centralized garbage.
Fact: There's federated e2ee alternatives (matrix)
Fact: There's full p2p e2ee alternatives (tox)

>download signal for desktop
>need to scan some QR code on my phone
How do you retards not realize I don't want to do everything with my mobile device?

It's a mobile messenger

So wire and riot are better. Thank you for finally confirming.

And why would I want my communication platforms limited to my mobile device?

Why the fuck would you want to waste time communicating with relatives or anyone at all when you're *not* on the go (tip: you could just get some shit done)?!

>tfw get EVE ONLINE pings via XMPP

Samefag... You could just use fucking Jow Forums and/or IRC for bragging about your boring life.

Because I only communicate with people I want to communicate with. I generally keep my phone on silent.

>ITT neckbeard excuses

Jow Forums and IRC are public and anonymous, which is not equivalent to private conversations with people I know.

I also keep my phone on silent. This is because I'm always busy doing my own shit and don't give a fuck about anyone who's trying to steal my time. Whenever I have a minute, I pick up my phone and try to answer everyone because usually I won't be available soon enough for them.

Sure, I do the same except I can use my full keyboard when I open Hangouts rather than having to type on a phone.

I personally separate my way of communication. I'd never install Signal's desktop client. If I have something to tell anyone when on a PC, I just email them. Otherwise, pick up my phone and call/text.