Any Arduino programmers/creators on Jow Forums?

Any Arduino programmers/creators on Jow Forums?

What knowing Arduino is useful for, besides being more fun and complex lego for adults? (I mean job-wise). Does it come with any side-skills that can be used in other ways? I'm interested in learning Arduino but I'm too time limited and I worry that the time investment to learn it might never actually pay back and be used at all.

Attached: arduino-uno-r3-clone-with-usb-cable-usb-chip-ch340-21282-27-B.jpg (900x569, 69K)

It's actually really easy to program it, I would say it's a good introduction to coding. It only can run a single loop at a time so that adds some slight challenges with programming it.

Arduino is just Atmega 328 with FTDI so you can program it easily.

You could treat it as an introduction into microcontrollers if you don't use Arduino libraries (which are awful by the way). You can make actually useful shit (like a keyboard or some lighting controller) with it but only if you already have an idea what shit you would like to make.

>It only can run a single loop at a time
What?

>FTDI
You mean that USB stuff controller? FTDI is apparently the name of a company. Anyway, there are also newer Arduinos that come with 32u4 so they don't have that chip for USB anymore.

Well I don't what much experience with it, but what you want to execute is put in
void loop()
{

}
It can only run through the instructions listed there and i don't know if a way to make it run multiple loops at the same time. For example if you want to make 2 LEDs count from 0 to 3 in binary you can't just run 2 loops with the delay set to double the other one and run them at the same time.

Get a pi

I meant to say, I don't have much experience with programming arduino or even programming in general.

You can just set a counter and only execute one thing on even numbers or you can just ignore loop and do everything in setup()

This. It's also quick for prototyping. You can program it as if it's an Atmega328p using C in Arduino IDE to get used to embedded programming, which is very commonplace in electronic devices.
And this guy has no idea what's he's talking about.

Well, what you're describing is that it can run one program at a time which sounds reasonable. If you want to do multiple tasks simultaneously on a micro-controller you could run some operating system.

It completely depends on application.
Good luck running pi on batteries.

What you mean is 2 threads of execution. Even for C programming it's no easy task. There are other ways of doing it in a single loop.
Also, you can achieve that using 2 microcontrollers.

You are retarded get out of this board.

its cheaper than smart switch/bulb
ummm remote switch for literally anything?

Coding in general or industrial applications of coding? I'll probably never work in a place where something's being manufactured or create machines like that by myself as self-employed contractor.

>it's cheaper
but is it reasonable and practical when you account for learning the skill to code it and for the basic electronics needed? Looking for usages that aren't something I could buy at ebay.

>It only can run a single loop at a time so that adds some slight challenges with programming it.
absolute state of Jow Forums
>what are interrupts

You're even more retarded. Interrupts pause the main thread, execute the code inside it, then resume. They're like events.

The absolute state of trash of Jow Forums.

I seriously thought there were more EE fucktards here.
Though knowing what kind of people study EE, I perhaps give too much credit for them.

Anycase, "Arduino" is just a shitty HAL. If it's on AVR just skip the Arduino part. If it's on ARM/Xtensa/whatever sure, it's okay since _fuck_ hardware vendors who push their absofuckinglutely shitty IDEs instead of providing makefiles.

And regarding interrupts: assuming we are running on an AVR (like m328p), by default what the libc does is jump to the relevant vector and push registers and changes some registers if necessary. After finishing execution of the interrupt vector it just pops the registers and changes some registers.

It's no different from a function call.

Jow Forums has always been the consumerist board, /prog/ had some competent people and /diy/ has some competent people

Or look into coroutines.

I learned C++ working on arduino, also put embedded microcontroller systems development on my resume. Made for a good talking point during my job interview.

You are the kind of person everyone hates.

What are you going to respond when they ask about actual microcontroller systems development? Like interrupts, how i2c works, how do you make a simple voltage divider to level i/o?
just stare awkwardly? try to shake it off? actually admit that you are an arduino baby? do you even know how to flash a 328 without Arduino's bootloader?

>Arduino programmers/creators
retarded people

Attached: ESP8266OLED.jpg (1000x1000, 153K)

It's pretty fun to play around with. You will probably do more electronics stuff than programming because programming it is easy as fuck.

Kind of wish it had more I/O ports desu

Attached: 1519981124304.jpg (1920x1080, 603K)

There's always I/O expanders and A/D converters you can connect via the i2c or spi bus if you need more.

>creators
jesus christ how pretentious

a simple shift register is often enough