>installed arch linux twice on laptop
>installs kali linux on laptop and wants arch on dekstop
>installing arch
>downloads grub(with bios)
>grub-install /dev/sda
>grub-install: error: cannot find EFI directory
>searches on the interwebs for an hour or so
>still can't fucking fix it

I know i'm not supposed to ask for help here but i'm losing my fucking sanity over this

Attached: send_help.png (1366x768, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide#Verify_the_boot_mode
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Installation_2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I hate to say that, but Install antergos and remove its repository.
If you still want to install Arch manually, find another guide, and be sure to follow the steps carefully.

The alternative is that your hardware is gone.

icon theme?

Do you have an IdeaPad S205? I do, and I can't install any new bootloader as the laptop's NVRAM is full of old EFI values, and the only way to clear it is to remove the (soldered) CMOS battery.

desu I don't mind booting from grub every time I turn my PC on, it's fairly simple but at the same time obtuse enough to deter anyone who might steal my shit.

If you can get a grub prompt when you turn your PC on, just type this

linux (hd0,gpt2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
initrd (hd0,gpt2)/initrd.img
boot

Replacing the sda and gpt values with wherever your kernel is (although it's probably sda2 anyway)

You did make a 100MB UEFI partition during install, didn't you?

you need a ESP partition

UEFI booting was a mistake.

Arch fags are cancer. 99℅ of you don't even need whatever "benefits" that piece of shit offers to counter the sheer amount of breakages that goes with it.

>inb4 muh minimalism
>systemD

It really just werks. I see approximately zero breakages a year, even with my system stuffed full of AUR packages. Of course in the decades of past linux experience I experienced a fuckload of breakages so at least I'm confident enough to fix them if/when they do occur. Not everyone has that safety net.

Also debian tends to fail harder than anything because of it's super antique package manager that can't resolve dependencies or dep conflicts properly. Literally the hardest mode is keeping a debian/ubuntu/etc desktop in use. Worst maintainers too.

All of this.

You would have been happily using Ubuntu 2 hours ago after it automagically installed itself for you user.

>Also debian tends to fail harder than anything because of it's super antique package manager that can't resolve dependencies or dep conflicts properly. Literally the hardest mode is keeping a debian/ubuntu/etc desktop in use. Worst maintainers too.

Shit That Doesn't Happen: The Post

>can't resolve dependencies or dep conflicts properly
Did you try to install and deb file meant for Ubuntu? What anecdotal stories would you like to share with this statement?

I don't know man, I for one have never had an issue with debain/ubuntu package managers. What can possibly you be installing/upgrading all the time that it fucks up, the packages on stable are almost guaranteed to work. Granted you don't learn too much linux on these, but for that I recommend Slackware, to this day the best distro Ive ever used. Unfortunately my laptop is way to slow to compile the few packages I need that dont have slackbuilds so I use debian testing and it werks.

If u want to learn linux, Slackware, Gentoo and LFS are the sane options.

Arch is masochism.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

> Go to fucking Arch Wiki
> Enter Grub in search bar
> Go to UEFI section

Here you go now you can play with your systemD bullshit

inb4 GENTOO MASTER RACE MA BOI

Read the fucking manual
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide#Verify_the_boot_mode

To clarify, debian/ubuntu/apt generally is perfectly stable when you don't install 3rd party anything anywhere. Well sometimes the packages will clobber your configs or ship with broken configs but that is again down to the worst maintainers.

If you want to run some non-official-distro version of some library you better prepare for literally everything to implode. Also even dist-upgrade was considered EXTREMELY RISKY before like 2016. It is not a good environment unless you set it in a deep dark closet and forget it, then it should be stable forever. Actually using the system is not safe at any speed.

>when you don't install 3rd party anything anywhere
This is the only time I've ever had issues when I grab a deb file from god knows where and try to install. If the person who made that deb file is expecting a different repo than what you have, it can't be expected to work 100% of the time. This is why people specify Ubuntu or Debian, and which version. If you want apt to make an educated guess on dependencies, use build-dep and compile from source.

Well even building from source will fuck up unless you completely isolate the whole set of dependencies away from your entire base system. At that point it doesn't matter what distro you run except all the duplicated effort required. Debian is the hardest fucking distro.

install void instead desu

It will get every dependency needed to build that version of that program which is in the repo. Obviously if you grab something new from git, dependencies could be added or removed. This is why you pay special attention during configuration to be sure all dependencies are satisfied.

Took 2 seconds to find
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Installation_2

# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=esp --bootloader-id=GRUB.

you didn't make a /boot you monkey

He needs an efi partition in the first place.

>He installed Kali
You're supposed to run it off a flash drive you fucking mongoloid. Go back to watching Mr. Robot faggot

Why is the debian installer so good bros?
It even sets up a proper luks setup with a separate /home AND zeroes out your disk.

Attached: Screenshot_20180428_155443.png (561x259, 5K)

grub-install /dev/sda --target=i386-pc

>a thread died for this