I do web design on photoshop. I want to jump into linux but I can't stop using photoshop for now...

I do web design on photoshop. I want to jump into linux but I can't stop using photoshop for now. So I am thinking about installing ubuntu on my device and installing windows on virtual box to just use photoshop. Will I get any problems while using photoshop on a virtual box??

Attached: 1200px-Adobe_Photoshop_CC_icon.svg (1).png (1200x1170, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gravit.io/
designer.io
thewindowsplanet.com/4546/download-adobe-photoshop-cs2-with-genuine-license-for-free.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Photoshop and Gimp are depreciated.
Install Krita 4.0

Attached: based-krita.png (1919x1052, 1.78M)

dual-boot

>Will I get any problems
The major problem with running a virtual machine is you need to dedicate a lot of resources and you constantly use those resources.
File sharing and networking is also a bit iffy and you need to know what you are doing in order to get things to work seamlessly.
I would always prefer to use a native application.

Can I become good at PS even though I'm shit at drawing?

just stick to windows,

it probably runs fine in wine aswell but you shouldn't have any issues in a vm

Yes

PS has more to do with editing than drawing, people draw shit on SAI

Why not just use a Mac?
Literally every good aspect of linux without being a freetard

I would do it the other way around, PS is most likely going to be more resource intensive than whatever you will be doing in Linux.

I read that there is some problem with the brush tool in photoshop if installed using wine

I am a poorfag. Buy me one, user

Same senpai, I just stick with windows
Adobe is way too important for what I work with.

In no way would I want to jeopardise this with unsupported implementations.

Attached: 1493926723148.png (581x581, 531K)

no thanks, if someone gifts me a mac I sell it.

Windows 10 with the Linux Subsystem would probably be the best for OP

holy shit this.
If someone gave me one of those 3k macs I would just sell it on the spot and buy a PC 10 times more powerful than that ´piece of crap

Yeah, just like CAD, CAE, and CAM software, there are no real credible alternatives for the Adobe Suite on Linux.

This is just a fact, even if we'd like it not to be that way.

Just get an old xeon workstations and use MACos on it. my business partner recently did this and loves it.

>xeon workstation
If you have a Xeon workstation, why would you waste your time with OSX?

Hackintosh is really stable.
Performance will be somewhat negatively affected, but really it should be alright. There also will be much less OS integration, but it's not like linux has that with any kind of programs. I think Wine would be a better choice because you could drag n drop and shit, and it's fully compatible with some versions

mac os remains an art and design standard environment, regardless of your opinion of it

>reee you basedboy faggot defending applel
there isn't a platform worth defending these days, they all suck in their own unique way

>mac os remains an art and design standard environment
Not really.
It is babby's first workstation, though, because apple are basically the only company that ship their displays pre-calibrated.
So an utter dumbshit can fork over a couple grand, open the box, and go to work.
other than that, they make for shit tier graphics workstations.
And don't even pretend that you're gonna do CAD,CAE, or CAM on an Apple.

why don't you use linux on virtual box? why don't you dual boot? ps will probably be the most resource hungry program you use. why put it in a vm

it'll be slow
and that's with 'normal' resource-requiring apps
my guess would be that Ps will magnify the problem.
you're gonna get frustrated and switch back.

me: Adobe CC user, long time web dev, understand what it is you're doing.

wine would be unbearably slow.

Use wine

>only company that ship their displays pre-calibrated.

My Dell Ultrasharp came pre-calibrated.
Even had a print of the calibration results included.

It's pointless though.
You need to re-calibrate at least every 2 months.

Dual booting is the best option.
Gives you full performance and will also make your transition easiest.

>You need to re-calibrate at least every 2 months.

While I don't require color accuracy, myself, those I know who do have never mentioned this, and it sounds like utter bullshit.

This honestly. Photoshop on Wine is easy.

Pajeet doesn't know how to use Wine.

Pre calibration is a meme, if you want to actually have accurate colors you have to calibrate it for your current lighting conditions. They will vary throughout the day if you have natural lighting in your workspace.

Attached: monitor-calibrator[1].jpg (1000x666, 66K)

>Pre calibration is a meme
Yes, you and I know this, but apple displays are passably calibrated out of the box, not perfect, but okay.
Thus an utter dumbshit can buy an Apple and within reasonable expectation, have a somewhat calibrated display.
Is it worth the cost?
No.

Monitors also drift over time.
It's why some high end monitors even have a color calibrator build in.

If you don't believe me ask anyone on /p/

Attached: cg276-1-s.jpg (500x349, 16K)

>Monitors also drift over time
That is understandable, but within the timespan of two months is absurd.

"absurd" yet true.
Just as ANYONE who works with prints.

The photographers I have dealt with, have never mentioned significant accuracy drift in that short of a time period.

I run a web dev studio on free sw only, had your same problem.

Gimp is shit for web dev. Using PS shortcuts (there are presets you can import) helps, but you'll lack a lot of functionalities.
Inkscape is even worse.
Krita is ok for photo editing and cropping but shit at making layouts.
Mind you I know how to use these programs well, been a freetard since redhat 7.2

I ended up skippind design tools alltogether and jumping straight to coding layouts for clients. I've created my own HTML+CSS templating system and components, this way it's pretty fast to create a mockup using lorem ipsums and placeholder images; when I'm done templating I print the page to pdf straight from firefox and send it to customer for approval

Currently developing a templating environment that can be run from cli, using premade components skinned using palette estracted from whatever logo the clients decides to use. It's pretty comfy to work from the cli and ignore PS.

It depends on the specific monitor as well as other conditions. Some places calibrate every week. Just because you didn't heard it from your second hand source doesn't mean it wont happen.
>significant accuracy drift
That's a nice way to be not specific enough to say anything. Their definition of significant may be different from other photographers and clients' definitions. That is also coupled with what monitors they're using and the environment that they're used in.

on that topic, does anybody even use Adobe XD?
Adobe should make it free use, like Brackets, at least to gain some foothold.

I've moved into using Envato-purchased Photoshop action scripts. My clients like the polish and uniqueness. Although I'm Adobe cert'd, they're very quick to use and I'm not gonna do that stuff by hand manually. I've collected quite a few purchased action sets. have them in my graphics portfolio, make no secret they are imported actions. has been a plus.

> Web design
Switch over to a vector based tool
gravit.io/
This is cross platform and about as good as a free Sketch alternative as you're gonna get

shit in a single place

>Will I get any problems while using Photoshop on a virtual box??
No. Either dual boot (if you less resource) or Virtual machine (if you have resources). Other than those, no other way.

Lol no one over the age of 16 cares about your autistic spaceships with LED lights and winshit 10.

spoken like a plebeian
never lose your shit taste, it gives you character.

Your problem is that you want to jump into Linux. Just get a better PC. There is no point in reverting to obsolete software when Windows 10 functions completely fine.

>XD

>Windows 10 with the Linux Subsystem
Spotted the freshman

Why Photoshop? I'm studying gd and I don't use PS besides to add some filters or crop pictures. Is there a special use PS has for web design?

I only heard about it after using photoshop artboards and a free Invision account

fuck off furfag

>claims to have a job
>on Jow Forums
yeah keep telling yourself that

How to spot an underage faggot 101

so use cs2 with wine nigger

Check Gravit out. If you're not using image manipulation tools extensively, it should suffice. And it's cross platform.
designer.io

So cute.

holy shit you're probably like 13

You can try running photoshop with latest wine versions
Otherwise just vm or dual boot

Unemployed for seven years cunt

CS6 runs on wine just fine for me, only thing that doesn't work is the 3d stuff but I personally don't use it

In this situation I would dual boot I have to use photoshop for school and I dual boot or you could just find an old computer or laptop laying around and you that for Linux depending on what you want to use Linux for

>Adobe cert'd
are there really certs?

You realize that the iMac priced at $3k is a 27inch P3 color gamut 5k monitor built into a decently spec’d out computer with user replaceable (but requiring tools to dismantle) parts, right?

That their premium “Apple tax” on the iMac is actually quite low?

Many photographers won’t need to even calibrate if theyre systematic in their control their lighting conditions in a studio.

Color drift doesn’t matter if virtually every headshot portrait will use the same Lightroom presets?

tell me why I should use Krita over Gimp.

>I do web design
I stopped reading there.

is there an easy-to-pirate version of photoshop? even very old one is ok, i only need it to do some basic editing with layers but the latest versions seem to have problems running on my laptop (ideapad 720)

>windows on virtual box
Disgusting. Enjoy your 3FPS

Do it the right was and use GPU passthrough faggot.

You don't even need to pirate it, Adobe gave CS2 for free. They got tired of hosting its license server because it's too old version which nobody uses anymore.
>thewindowsplanet.com/4546/download-adobe-photoshop-cs2-with-genuine-license-for-free.htm

It's a buggy mess and half the features don't work in WINE. You always run into problems. No way is it suitable for "professional work".

Sadly OP, you've run into the reason why Linux is not suitable for people with actual jobs who want to do work. Fine for web surfing and shit posting, but you'll just run into problems trying to get your job done on it, trust me - I've tried it before.

if you're just going to ubuntu just use wine

You don’t do web/UI design in Photoshop, you do it in a vector program. Just use Figma if you insist on using Linux. If you want to be an actual professional, get a Mac and get Sketch.

As Linux only user and a bit of an advocate, I'd recommended sticking with Windows or Mac

Furry mascot. In more serious terms, it's only better if you do digital painting. For a general purpose Photoshop replacement GIMP is better.

I saw your art before, do you have a deviant or something? Awesome