How secure is MEGA?

Attached: mega.png (871x491, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/fm/account/history
ostif.org/the-veracrypt-audit-results/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_surveillance_disclosures_(2013–present)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

storing your nudes on a flash drive then throwing it into the middle of your street is safer

That would depend on what you want to secure it against

It doesn't really matter what they claim, because you can't be sure until you see and understand the code they're running. You can choose any provider, just encrypt your stuff locally before uploading.

> just encrypt your stuff locally before uploading.
This.

Is encrypting files (setting a password aes 256) with 7-zip acceptable?

>Is encrypting files (setting a password aes 256) with 7-zip acceptable?

First AES is the cipher with a key length of 256 bits which is considered to be very secure.

I cannot say how good the implementation of AES is in 7zip. Assuming 7zip has a good implementation a strong password is in order.

What are you going to store user?

Nothing that's extremely private, just personal files so that I have more control over my privacy on a cloud service.

7-zip is fine if you don't have anything too sensitive, and don't mind temp files, the simple KDF function, etc.
How do you plan to group your files? If you want to upload one big archive, why not try VeraCrypt? It's much more secure.

MEGA is a very weird company I'm not even sure who or what owns it after Dotcom got thrown out.

They will turn over the key, the ultra encryption happens but is placebo since they have all the control over what you upload all the keys etc.

MEGA secure :^)

cp ofc

I am employed at a cybersecurity company, and have some experience with applied cryptography, and I think the most secure way would be to encrypt the files locally using a well-vetted algorithm with a little twist that you only know. For example, before encrypting the blocks with AES, you can shuffle it with with a special algorithm. Even if your algorithm is weak, it doesn't deteriorate the overall strength of the encryption scheme.

Very susceptible to DMCA.
Ive lost 50GB of data because some guy here reported my link.
You have been warned.

Did you also lose your account or just data?

It was your own fault, faggot. If you voluntarily share your files with others, it's not private anymore.

>The website and service was launched on January 19, 2013, by Kim Dotcom, who had founded the now-defunct service Megaupload. However, in 2015 Kim Dotcom disassociated himself from the service and stated that the New Zealand government had seized the shares of a Chinese investor and has control of the site.

>check my account history
>bunch of sessions from other countries show up

Attached: 1504643493521.png (604x613, 257K)

>If you voluntarily share _your files_
You are correct,those were MY files.
And precisely why i filed a complaint and they never responded.

Just data

>And precisely why i filed a complaint and they never responded.
On what grounds? You made your files accessible to the public by generating a link containing a decryption key to the file, and since MEGA owns the storage you use, they are legally obliged to remove materials that are protected by copyright laws. They even warn you before sharing a file, that this can happen. If you choose not to share your files, theoretically you are the only person who is capable of deciphering them.

>On what grounds?
On the grounds that those were _MY_ files(as in owned by me) not subject to copyright genius.
Read again.
They NEVER responded to my compliant to a false DMCA.
I filed the form three times.

Chink botnet tier.

It does matter what was the nature of your ownership for those files. If they were your own intellectual property, then you were indeed right to complain.

No shit Sherlock thats what ive been telling you for the past 30 minutes.
Now stop playing devils advocate and fuck off.

What is shuffling? Do you mean renaming files?

Can smell the curry from here? Or is it poo? Same shit, you people are disgusting.

Holy fuck you are retarded, he told you they were HIS files numerous times.

LUKS nigga, ain't nobody touching my in the middle of the street nudes

Wasn't there some discussion about the security of Veracrypt? I admit I know nothing about the topic but I noticed some people were calling it unsafe

>check this out
>session open from Seychelles
>however has access probably used a proxy anyway
I've been pwnd. What should I do?! I'm freaking out.
I have a lot of sensitive data in there, fuck shit FUCK. And my password is very secure too. FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Attached: evenHe.png (462x400, 183K)

It is depressing, how stupid people are here.
He didn't state explicitly that the files were his intellectual property.
For example, you can buy a movie, encode it, then store it for backup purposes, however you can't legally share it, but it's still your file.

>how secure is MEGA
secure in that if you pay it's good but if you're a free user generally speaking it's shit.

The problem. have is that people can import to their own mega account and there's not dick shit you can do about it.

Shit for brains, if he doesn't own the copyright then they aren't HIS files. Why the fuck do you think he EMPHASIZED that they were HIS files?
>those were MY files.

Do you understand that those files were 4 hour long HD videos of me masturbating on camera.
How are they subject to DMCA claims?
Please enlighten me.

>well vetted algorithm with a little twist
actually you're more likely to fuck up the cryptographic integrity by doing this. you've gone from using a proven secure algorithm, to potentially fucking it up and now you don't have the peer reviewed security or proven definitions to show how secure your new algorithm is.

even if it is secure you've essentially done nothing.

could you just choose literally any other cloud service OP

he is larping dont pay attention to him.
its probably some kid taking crypto 101 or something

>free 50gb
>Fast speeds
>Only stopped by cookies saying bandwidth usage too much
>Can delete these and download more
Name a better company. Capacity for free accounts and speed

You don't understand it... Copyright concerns the CONTENT of the file. If you record a movie with a camera at the cinema, it's still your own file, but the content of the video is protected by copyright laws.

The file is NOTHING without it's contents. The user upthread was explicitly clear that the files were his, the copyright was his. Stop trying to defend your retardation.

where do i see session histories?
haven't checked mega in quite long time

Attached: snapshot_15.52.png (1920x1080, 2.87M)

Jesus Christ you really are retarded.

I'd assume so, but I've legitimately seen way too many people actually do this because they think they can design better cryptosystems than cryptologists with phds who do this for every second of their life

I know it's pointless to explain it to you, because you are either a troll, or have zero knowledge in law. If you record something with your camera, then the file is yours, you were the one who created it with the device irregardless of its content.
>the copyright was his
No, you don't have copyright protection, you have to specifically request a patent for it.

mega.nz/fm/account/history

all greenland flags
i'm safe!

Attached: greenlandic flag7.png (1920x1080, 2.57M)

afaik, there was an extensive security audit done by a cybersecurity company who found some stuff but its fixed

ostif.org/the-veracrypt-audit-results/

As secure as the encryption you use when you upload your files.

>It is depressing, how stupid people are here.
lol the ironing

He said he'd do it BEFORE he encrypted it (in which case he'd probably fuck it up and have a case of perfect encryption where he, the MPAA or the NSA cant read his data)
But I agree, unless your name is Schneier don't roll your own system.

>lurking facebook
>person invites me to mega link room
>a bunch of spics sharing megas
>click a couple of them, get a bunch of cool movies.
>click one of them that said was a movie
>was actually 45GB of CP
>NOPE'd the fuck out
>4 months later cops show up at my door
>seize everything, it was a honey pot
>Have to pay thousands in lawyers fees
>But I had no charges brought to me because obviously I had nothing saved since im not a fuckin pede

Honey pots are real.

Attached: e9d.jpg (600x600, 16K)

Yeah but what really gets me is
>but my own small twist
>as if a small twist means jack shit
Most likely it doesn't introduce many if any vulnerabilities in the encryption scheme because its just another message.
So even if it hypothetically works, he thinks some genius hacker or organization who's going to bother to decrypt AES 256 or whichever crypto he chooses is going to have trouble with his "small twist".

The thing people don't realize about encryption is that people don't break encryption typically, even broken encryptions usually aren't "broken" in the sense people think about where for every ciphertext you can get the corresponding plaintext, typically its problems like collisions or proof that its not as secure as they say it is (at least for the first 30 years until it just gets bruteforced in 3 days with advanced computers)
The problem isn't the encryption, its that you do other stupid shit like choosing bad keys or installing a keylogger or just not making sure you're encrypting correctly.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_surveillance_disclosures_(2013–present)

>I'm a retard
great for you.
But to reiterate my point
>So even if it hypothetically works, he thinks some genius hacker or organization who's going to bother to decrypt AES 256 or whichever crypto he chooses is going to have trouble with his "small twist".

You in denial? Is it cause you're scared?

Not them but that's not typical procedure because of people like you or random clicks on google.
Even if you did download its hard to do much with you because they can't charge you with distribution either. Typically they go after distributers (torrents count) because its easier to charge and prove.
plus
>megalink
>honeypot
at best they'd request the information from megalink, unless you downloaded something your IP or info wouldn't have gone anywhere except that you made a simple get request to mega-, and it would also note that you didn't actually download the file.

I was just pointing out how easy it is to break a cryptographic system from the side.

It seems to me to be a bad honeypot. A good one would be a link in a JB thread on /b/ saying "this ISN'T her bate video and she's NOT 13"
Yours seems like a thread on Jow Forums about fedora and you post a link that purports to be a fedora .iso but is in fact seepee.
That's why I think that niggas lying

>and it would also note that you didn't actually download the file.
citation needed

>implying that a person who falls for a CP link wont try to get other IPs to click the link so that his IP can be inundated under other IPs.

Sure he would be distributing, but at least he'd have a chance.

>citation needed
>I have literally never looked at network traffic ever and I have no idea how downloads happen

/Thread