You're about to travel with your laptop to a surveillance state (China, US, UK, etc.)...

You're about to travel with your laptop to a surveillance state (China, US, UK, etc.). Do you encrypt your home folder or go for full disk encryption? Or you just go bareback into the beast like the normalfags?

Attached: encryption.jpg (1920x1080, 256K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1524955131747.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Buy cheap laptop and bring it instead

Full disclosure encryption, you fucking normie. Then when they force you to decrypt it you kill yourself

>calls people "normie"
>not a normalfag

This and/or remove the drive and replace it with a new one with a clean install.

there's no winning, I'd argue you're better off leaving everything on a hosted service and wiping your drives before entering a country. Then accessing what you need once you're there, but if you're known or wanted then they'll find the service hosting your shit.

I guess securely encrypt and upload then wipe the laptop and bring it in, if I couldn't upload then FDE the important partition but install bog standard windows in another partition and nuke the boot loader so you just see the windows install on boot

I have nothing to hide.

Plenty of reasons to still want to lock away information. If your employer is bringing in IP and you believe the government would steal that IP and provide to their own industry leaders instead

How do u full disk encrypt android?

YOU don't.

I've traveled from California to Taiwan/Japan twice a year for the past 3 years and my laptop/phone has never been searched once

Bingo.
I find it hard to believe that people here don't already have a normiedisk anyway.

Aight, if you have nothing to hide, then you're perfectly fine giving me your home address, phone number, and credit card details, right?

I don't store that kind of information. In fact the only way to determine that laptop is mine is to inspect the browser cache.

I don't store that information on my laptop.

encrypt your private files upload to the cloud there you have them everywhere and the cops can seach you hd all they want

Those were just examples, dumbass. And yes you do, you simply don't know it.

How could it get there if I never entered it?

If this is business travel, I'd ship my fully encrypted work drive ahead, as parts purchased by my customer.
Then travel with the work laptop with nothing but personal normieshit on it.
At destination, swap drives, do what you came there for, when done ship the work disk home, install normiedisk, go back through customs.

I just unmount the partition.

Ip, exif data, and have you seriously never bought something online?

Not from my laptop. And I don't store my photos there either.

good idea

also: upload veracrypt container to the cloud and then download after you have left the airport

Isn't it on by default after Android 7.0 Nougat or or something, if the phone is powerful enough? Altough, it's not really full disk encryption since your alarms and other notifications will still show up if you restart your phone and don't enter password. (Also limited to 16 characters by Google).

It's not FDE, it's FBE.

fly-by encryption?

Attached: 1522244267984.png (409x409, 157K)

Dumb frogposter.

Attached: Untitled.png (880x849, 116K)

I'd use a thinkpad with linux with my VPN and nothing to hide on it and use a SD card to store my private stuff encrypted.

no bullying my fren

Attached: 1500344391953.jpg (957x621, 90K)

Dumb frogposter.

bullies gets bullets

Attached: 1498698832886.jpg (829x633, 46K)

>Do you encrypt your home folder
I wish this meme would die, always use FDE dip shit.

Dumb frogposter.

>full disk encryption

>upload veracrypt container to the cloud and then download after you have left the airport
Bingo.

Just have your normalfag install on your laptop, and keep any sensitive things hosted elsewhere.
No need to smuggle your data through security when the internet exists.

>SD card to store my private stuff encrypted.

Attached: 1513428894567.jpg (900x900, 82K)

SD cards are the comfiest way of storage they are easy to hide and have good read/write speeds. I see nothing wrong with it.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1524955131747.webm

congrats on being white

You're welcome

Use a laptop with windows 10 installed. IF anyone tries to confiscate it, they'll vomit from the atrocious UI alone.

Full disk encryption.
Keep everything under wraps. Your disk should already be fully encrypted anyway.

>FDE
The problem is that while, yes, your data would be secure, it would attract undue suspicion, and most customs agencies would compel you to unlock the device for inspection.

I have a laptop with full disk encryption at home.

But I travel with an empty laptop without encryption.

Reactos buggy and terrible looking to normies.

>But I travel with an empty laptop without encryption.
It would be acceptable to utilize stock FDE like Shitlocker, or whatever Apple's equivalent is.

No, Veracrypt, and certainly no fucking Linux, let alone encrypted Linux.

How are they going to know it’s encrypted? Are countries searching every single device that crosses their borders? Seems like a lot of manpower and money wasted for no reason. You should only be searched if you’re on a list.

>How are they going to know it’s encrypted?
Because when they ask you to power it on, it will be obvious.

>Are countries searching every single device that crosses their borders?
Yes, to an extent, anyone going through customs in any developed nation can reasonably expect to be asked to power on, unlock, and submit any computer, smartphone, or tablet for examination.

Does this happen all the time?
No, but it occurs in the majority of cases.

there's this thing called grub, you can set it to autoboot a different install.

Yes, this is true.
But it's far easier to just travel with a clean machine and incur as little suspicion as possible, so that even if one of them got adventurous, they'd find nothing.

Just separate all important data from the traveler.
Either ship the data disk to an agent at the destination, or have your guy VPN his shit once through customs.

But seriously, I would not trust an ounce of corporate IP to foreign, or even domestic customs agencies, for that matter.

>not using the RAM as your secondary storage and never turning your pc off

Attached: 1494583164843.jpg (600x846, 46K)

Thissss. It's the easiest way to lose hard earned research. All he has to do is '''''''''inspect''''''' the contents, record it and this faggot can sell it to any chink willing to toss his cheap ass a dollar.

>All he has to do is '''''''''inspect''''''' the contents
Which, if I were Lockmart, Google, Amazon, or any other big player, I would absolutely have guys in customs slurping the data of anybody who fits the bill of a business traveler going to and or from any mil/tech/industrial development epicenter.

fresh install keep it minimal
then ssh into your home computer and get your shit

>Which, if I were Lockmart, Google, Amazon, or any other big player, I would absolutely have guys in customs slurping the data of anybody who fits the bill of a business traveler going to and or from any mil/tech/industrial development epicenter.
You think these big companies are engaging in espionage and bribery now? Maybe some of you guys are just a little paranoid.

Upload necessary files to private FTP server, bring a throwaway laptop and phone.

Sir, how dare you?
I would never accuse the paragon of ethics and morality, known as Lockheed, of such a scurrilous act as bribery, particularly the bribery of government agencies at home or abroad.

I'm just saying that if I worked for them, I could probably convince them that it was a stellar idea.

encrypt whole drive with lvm on luks (encrypted root and encrypted swap=amount of ram)
then configure acpi to hibernate on lid close
then whenever you close the lid, you're laptop is encrypted

What is secure erase

I don't bring it at all

>He cannot afford a new laptop

This is one of the prime reasons why business laptops have quick removable HDDs.

The point is an easy reinstall once you get back home. secure erase just means you wasted all of your time to get a clean laptop when you could have had one for the cost of a drive.

Go easy on him, he's never used a laptop with a quick removable HDD, et alone a toolless one.

on a new drive install a clean win 10 with steam and change the wallpaper

put your encrypted drive somewhere else

its not that hard

Attached: 1387376084772.jpg (386x386, 54K)

>he has a laptop without full disk encryption ever

There is no reason not to use full disk encryption on a mobile device. I could claim to be a security professional, but it doesn't matter. Full disk encryption is mandatory for mobile devices. Back up your shit.

Obviously, but you're still gonna be unlocking it for the customs agents

How to full disk encryption for an android phone?

It's an option in all android ROMs since ICS, if I remember, the problem is a lot of phones don't have hardware AES acceleration, and so they run like utter shit with full encryption enabled.

>cancel plans and flight
>otherwise, buy some clean netbook and VPN to home

hidden in your pooper

They don't!

Attached: Screenshot_20180429-103817.jpg (1080x1920, 180K)

>be me
>afro America brotha
>literally never search at any airport I've been to in Europe or America

you're delusional if you think airports individually search every minority they see, they literally don't have the manpower

how many of you guys have actually been to airports? I traveled to Europe with two phones and no one ever asked me to power on the second one

I had my laptop X-Ray'd in Japan but that's the most invasive thing that's probably happened to me at an airport.
In Hong Kong once they were searching everyone's bag before getting on the plane too - but when the inspection officer realized that I'd been living out of my backpack for the past week and saw all the dirty clothes in there, he cbf'd and just waved me through.

It's incredibly easy to transport digital shit through customs. Use Veracrypt to create a file with hidden container. Name it to something mundane like windows_update_rollback.msc or some shit and put it in a Windows system folder. Uninstall Veracrypt and remove any signs of it. Reinstall Veracrypt at the other end to decrypt.

>US
>Surveillance State
Choose one you fucking Sweden cuck. Just because we aren't cucked by Muslims it don't mean we are a surveillance state. I got my bill of rights, you ain't got shit LMAO. Hope you know that, by not being American and living in a foreign country, NSA can gather all your shit and not break the law cause you are not protected by the constitution.

God Bless America, and God Bless being American. LMAO

dumb american rapist bigga, dont have schools to shot?

Niggers stop attending school at about the age they steal their first gun, which is roughly twelve.
This results in them shooting up their home neighborhoods instead of the schools they no longer attend.

The 4th amendment stops applying to you even as a citizen if you're outside of the US

Is there a good tutrial somewhere to setup Gentoo with FDE (luks && lvm) + YubiKey?

>travel from Croatia to UK several times
>nobody ever asked me about my laptop or mobile phone
are you sandniggers or something?

HOLY SHIT OP GOT BTFO WITH THIS POST HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

It's a default since Android 4.4 I *think*, all that the encryption menu does on any recent-ish-ish phone is change the default encryption passphrase for the key from "default_password" to whatever.

Do SD cards act the same way as flash drives and external hard drives in terms of full disk encryption?

Obviously.
However, most laptop's SD readers are connected via USB 2.0 and have terrible R/W speeds.
Some laptops SD reader attached via SCSI, nowadays some are USB 3.0 with UASP and even UHS-II pins in the reader.

So, while yes ,you can encrypt data on an SD card however you want, having a high performance card, and a reader that can take advantage of it is what makes it useful.

Fde even though I barely leave my country. Can't remember the passphrase, sorry.

alright, good shit my dude

t. veracrypt/bitlocker FDE user and all my flash drives/external storage are also crypto. I also use veracrypt containers for extra protection if my computor is running or if something infects my computor, they can't access my shit if i didn't unlock the containers

These big feature updates on windows 10 can suck a dick though, have to decrypt system drive to install them (creators update, anniversary update etc) because windows can't get past veracrypt bootloader even if you enter password or some shit).

As for bitlocker, microsoft somehow stores the encryption key somewhere and uses that to unlock your computer when it restarts (which is why you don't get a bitlocker password prompt during the feature update installations).

hmmmm

>As for bitlocker, microsoft somehow stores the encryption key somewhere
"somewhere" is the TPM

>owning a laptop
>storage plaintext
You're a retard. KYS.

Wipe the laptop, pull anything I need from a remote backup back home over ssh, and restore when I get back.

I'm Chinese

why would I ever keep anything sensitive or incriminating in any kind of digital format
are you retarded
take a generic laptop with generic stuff on it, duh

based

vpn to private server.

Wipe hard drive before I leave

Go through security

Download stuff thru VPN when at my destination

deniable encryption

>encrypt hard drive
>take it out of laptop if possible
>put it in a portable hard drive case
>let it go trhough
>if they ask to unencrypt "sorry I just bought this I didn't have time to wipe it from the previous owner".

>purchase brand new hard drive
>install into my non-vpro laptop for travel purposes, partition doesn't go all the way to the end of the disk
>install windows 7 on the partition
>put a bunch of normal shit on it, word, 10000 dick pics in BMP format, etc
>free space is luks encrypted, header and linux bootloader are located on a separate small storage controller I installed inside my burner phone
>attach USB pins to headphone jack, order passive headphone jack to USB connector to my destination whenever I want to travel and use my computer

Why don't you want to be free Jow Forums ?

>ask me to open my laptop
>sorry, im in the navy and it contains classified material
>oh, our apologies. thank you for your service

ezpz

>please show your id
enjoy your deportation

Boot up a Docker image with SFTP, upload an encrypted copy of my drives, bleach my drives, flash broken firmware onto the drives, and when I touch down at my destination pull down, decrypt and restore/flash the drives.
Let's see those CIA niggers touch my shit then.