Ryzen 2700U

What went wrong? Where're the Raven Ridge Thinkpads?

Attached: raven ridge.jpg (2060x1159, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-E485-E585-Affordable-Ryzen-Mobile-ThinkPads-to-be-released-in-April.285214.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Poor low workload power usage. Probably because of Vega iGPU sucking up power for basic HW acceleration tasks

Most probably intel threatened to cut the off the supply of intelaviv cpus for the regular thinkpads.

Have seen that before, intelaviv had done that before.

This.

> da jews
Raven Ridge was pretty disappointing desu

I mean mobile RR, the desktop ones are pretty decent.

>Raven Ridge was pretty disappointing desu
lenovo made amd thinkpads with even worse APUs, e.g. Kabini.
Those were priced right and sold a lot.
There isn't any kind of thinkpad that Lelnovo can't sell, there's only the thinkpad that some competitor doesn't want in the market.
Same shit happened with all high performance and low power APUs, they were crippled on shitty chassis, bulky design, paired with single channel ram and the list goes on.
Lenovo is cucked by intel.
Dell and HP were cucked too, but they broke free and jumped on the EBIN train...

no intel actually does that shit, look it up

They even paid oems to gimp A10 laptops with bloat and used too much thermal paste for them.

That one RR laptop that shares the same case as the Intel 4 core i5 gets like 10 minutes battery less than the Intel one, so I really fucking doubt it.

Raven Ridge doesn't support Windows 7

Nah, mobile RR just got BTFO'd by 8th gen i7 + MX150 in the end of the day.
Also, shitty battery life.

>same case
I doubt that's actually the case considering how protective intel is with their product representation even in third party devices. Also, mainboards make a huge difference in power usage, which makes sense because even something as simple as the board power for a graphics card can be as high as 30W. Some of the better Intel kabylake boards get like 14 hours without a dGPU like the MX150. I have yet to see any sort of potential like that from Raven Ridge. If a laptop comes out with at least 12 hours then I'll say that RR is as good in low workload power usage.

Right, a fucking DEDICATED GPU had to be used which is more expensive. Also there's controversy over the battery life as the i7 + uhd graphics model also had bad battery life.

>same performance as a 7700HQ at 25W
>disappointing

here
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-E485-E585-Affordable-Ryzen-Mobile-ThinkPads-to-be-released-in-April.285214.0.html

>inb4 e series

nothing
it's just that laptops have fallen off, nowadays you can get a shitty laptop and ssh/do your other tasks remotely, besides content creation which realistically is a niche.

Also i don't really understand the hype about these APUs...people forget intel dominated the laptop market for an eternity

I don't think so.
pic related is a beefy cpu with the bare minimum igpu vs an almost 50/50 cpu and gpu chip.

if you think that a 35 watt i7 QM or 47 watt HQ + a 10-25 watt dGPU is a fair comparison against a 9-25 watt APU, then you are comparing apples and oranges.

Attached: Chart-4.png (1300x1204, 61K)

>cries in 1366x768

>same performance as a 7700HQ at 25W
[citation required]
How do you think a 15W chip would beat a 45W one?
> also, it gets beaten by any 15W 8th gen i7

bumping for answers

intel holds a lot of power with ultra books and amd really can't supply enough polaris / vega chips for higher end dedicated gpu's for higher end laptop units. and nvidia doesn't want to play nice with amd in providing gpu's for higher end units. best thing that could happen to amd right now to get into the mobile market would be apple ditching intel in favor for amd cpu's.

>What went wrong?
Nothing? Notebook vendors unwilling to put it in more designs, perhaps. They always do that with AMD, all effort goes towards Intel machines.

are there RR laptops that aren't limited to 15W?

no

There are some coming out soon, e485 and e585.

8th gen U cpus are barely even 15w, maybe in official specs only, In reality they can draw up to 45w, limitations are basically only laptop manufacturer and cooling solution.