netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-build.html
rumpkernel.org/
netbsd.org/gallery/presentations/mbalmer/fosdem2012/kernel_mode_lua.pdf
github.com/allanfann/scrapy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

freebsd for nvidia gpu laptop, openbsd for lean mean shitposting machine

>What BSD are you using Jow Forums?
OpenBSD, Dragonfly and NetBSD.
Server+Laptop, Spare Workstation (main on leenoks) and old laptop+A1200 respectively.
Of course, FreeBSD can go fuck itself with a cactus, ever since they ejected their best developer (Matt of DiceC/Dragonfly fame).
The recent CoC drama is just great to enjoy some popcorn with.

Attached: 1513630425144.png (1280x720, 905K)

>freebsd for nvidia gpu laptop
I'm hearing mixed things about the state of the Nouveau driver on NetBSD. I'm not sure if it's fully up to date with Linux or not, I'm too lazy to try it out on my pascal card though.

>caring about niche OSs
>using nvidia
You're doing it wrong, pal. Next time buy a GPU with hardware documentation. AMD has it. Intel has it. NVIDIA doesn't.

> Portable
What does that mean? Does it come with software for laptops?

hehe, ebin. amdgpu doesn't work on any bsd though. correct me if i'm wrong, it would be cool.

it means netbsd runs on weird architectures other operating systems don't support, like your toaster

You're kind of right but you got my timeline wrong. I started using nvidia before I cared about niche OSes so I use kvm/qemu for BSD. I have an openBSD vps, although I would consider dragonfly if they weren't dependent on fREEEEBSD's (lack of) port maintainers

How's BSD wide laptop power consumption?

>amdgpu
>doesn't work on any bsd
Yup. Anything too new will require amdgpu.
Else, Dragonfly has the best radeon support, which is usable with earlier radeons (up to tonga or tonga-1, not sure).
efifb a good survival fallback, unless you need that acceleration.

got the lappy before i knew about foss so im cucked by nvidia for now

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

Nice copypasta. Now kindly go fuck yourself.
With a cactus.

Like pottery

Most of the copypasta is either out of date or just plain wrong. Can just be dismissed as classic ignorant bsd-hating gnu or linux fanboi.

Been using OpenBSD and fell in love with it, even though my touchpad isn't supported yet (it works as a PS/2 mouse which is enough for me). It's simply the best OS for me.

What advantages do I get for using netbsd? If weev likes it there must be something good about it.

Attached: 1508363176930.jpg (711x598, 95K)

>is a meme
Milennial POS

>readable, well organized, clean code that's a pleasure to work with
>good documentation
>simple installer yet better than freebsd's
>ports to everything
>pkgsrc
>friendly community
>not in a constant urge to copy the latest linux kernel decision or fancy feature
>devs aren't cucked morons, thus no trace of SJWs or feminist CoCs.

What about compared to its younger brother OpenBSD?

>B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C!
Probably. Compile it with -pedantic-errors or whatever shit option is the clang equivalent.

Attached: 1523619836770.jpg (784x708, 134K)

Less secure, lower code quality.
More features, way more platforms.
Friendlier community among all the BSDs (not to say openbsd's isn't).

OpenBSD's package manager is super slow for me. Am I doing something wrong? pkg on FreeBSD is several orders of magnitude faster. I've tried several mirrors.

FreeBSD because of Nvidia. When OpenBSD gets amdgpu, I'll switch.

same desu

It's just the insanely slow filesystem

cuckoldry general?

and crappy scheduler

What do you mean slow?
It's as slow (or fast) as your download, and then maybe takes a few seconds to install stuff.

Why do you care if something you'll install once takes 15 seconds to install?

Tell me about Dragonfly BSD (if you use it).

How is it with laptop (CPU) power saving?

How are the ports? Are they fresh? Why is python so old? Why are there 2 versions of ranger[\code] and Python3 one does not work?

Will they ever make Intel 8260 wireless card work? (It works on FreeBSD but not OpenBSD(I think) or Dragonfly BSD)

Is it generally useful for Skylake era ThinkPad?

But he just mentioned that with the same download speed, installs when faster on FreeBSD. Some people value their time.

>>FreeBSD
>Depreciated
what ass did you pull this from

Attached: 1518810251683.png (600x399, 293K)

What is GhostBSD though?

So, nobody actually uses it?

Attached: IMG_20180424_191511.jpg (1512x2688, 1.05M)

Freebsd with mate or xfce.

DPorts are just a thin overly of patched over FreeBSD's port sysytem. Ultimately if you want to maintain a port, file a big report, or submit a patch you are bound to FreeBSD'd CoC, developers, and culture. FreeBSD recently lost a lot of maintainers (although they will gaslight you on leddit about this), so they're port system is lacking. This is why dragonfly can't be option for me right now.

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2018-February/112646.html

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2018-February/112638.html

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2018-February/112647.html

DragonFlyBSD does have less users than other BSDs, but there are some people on Jow Forums who use it. They're probably asleep.

MacOS is 100% BSD and Linux
BSD is for gay people
Linux is for pedos

Thank you.
Hope situation becomes better.
Dragonfly seems like the best option for me.

Got it.

>MacOS is 100% BSD and Linux
MacOS is a hybric kernel based on the Mach microkernal called XNU. It uses some NetBSD code in it's userland. That's about it. Don't fall for the macOS is a FreeBSD meme

XNU has both Mach and FreeBSD kernel code.

Attached: XNU.png (484x348, 25K)

I stand corrected. The user land contains NetBSD code though. I still think it's a stretch when FreeBSD users say macOS is a FreeBSD. (And the core developers use macOS with a FreeBSD vm)

Dragonfly is also supported by pkgsrc.

>go to your link
>go to freebsd code of conduct
>throw up
>see it's linked to "geekfeminism" wiki
>read wiki

When did tech become so insanely shit.

Meanwhile:

openbsd.org/goals.html

"Be as politics-free as possible; solutions should be decided on the basis of technical merit."

OpenBSD master race.

To keep things in perspective, both OpenBSD and Dragonfly forked fron netbsd and freebsd respectively over technical disagreements where stupidity would have otherwise prevailed due to politics.
Neither OpenBSD nor Dragonfly would put up with any such bullshit.
It's just unfortunate Dragonfly depends on dports as it simply doesn't have the manpower to maintain a ports collection of its own. It can use pkgsrc though, it used to be the default, but they adopted dports to further ease maintenance burden.
Their few developers are too busy working on the actual OS, making it awesome.

Attached: 1517056495795.png (150x167, 11K)

>pkgsrc
Interesting, you seem to know a lot about dragonfly. I'm very interested in dragonfly as when I've tested it in VM it was a joy.
Decoupling it from FreeBSD ports makes it absolutley viable for me.
>dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToPkgsrc/
>DragonFly, up to and including version 3.4, used pkgsrc to manage third party software packages. DragonFly switched to dports at the 3.6 release.
>This page is still useful for anyone wanting to use pkgsrc, but the recommended packaging method is dports, which is covered in a similar document here

So how many dragonfly users are using pkgsrc? Is it officially supported?

I installed dfbsd a week ago but it's so fucking slow and I don't know why. I mean it's openbsd-slow. do I need to tune something?

I know that feel.
>tfw got the T420 with nvidia GPU, paid extra to fuck myself over in the future

Slow in what way? For me it was slow to boot but very fast to use and installing packages was the same speed as FreeBSD

macOS

How portable is openbsd compared to netbsd. From what I heard the merit that netbsd is very portable applies to all *BSDs these days

I want OpenBSD-tan to bully the shit out of me

She'll only do if that will protect you

All of them really only support AMD64 as a top-tier supported platform, with ARM also becoming popular. Other platforms are secondary for all the BSDs.
Though, NetBSD has a few more 'top' tier ports.

Openbsd is a fork of netbsd. They're both very clean and well-organized, and very portable.
Openbsd did drop most ports leaving just the most popular ones, because they decided to focus their efforts elsewhere. Netbsd is very serious about keeping ports alive, so it has the most ports among all BSDs. It usually is a better option than Linux (Debian is the distro that keeps most ports usable, fwiw) for exotic/old hardware.

I love OpenBSD, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of audio through HDMI.

>trusting that mentally deficient jewish dwarf
he probably only spammed that in the freebsd channel so he could be a contrarian

openbsd is just as portable as netbsd since portable C is good C.

the thing is the openbsd devs would rather have ports that can self-host

>I love OpenBSD, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of audio through HDMI.
I haven't even got that to work on Linux desu.
With neither intel nor amdgpu, it should work but all I get when sending to it is silence. Maybe it works with some special kernel/module parameters, but fuck that shit.
Instead, I'm using coax spdif out of onboard, which goes to a dac, an amp and then HD600 headphones.

I couldn't get it work on Linux with ALSA, but it did work with (stupid fucking) pulseaudio, but even pulseaudio is not working on my OBSD machine and I didn't have the time to debug it yet to test if audio through HDMI works with pulseshit.

I wanted to have HDMI audio to watch movies on my TV via PopcornTime when I have friends over or girlfriend over.

Works out of the box with my old Intel NUC.
I use Void and watch everything with Kodi, as it's connected to a TV.

> Memeing this hard about shitty operating systems (Linux included)

> C code
> Good

Pick one

But OP!
I already use FreeBSD.

>And you forgot TrueOS. The best *BSD distro.

OpenBSD is really useless!
It would be much safer, if they rewrite a new and modern OS in Rust.

There is no place for OpenBSD.
You can use HardenedBSD anyway.

I’ve judt migrated everything *BSD in my home network (server and router) to Alpine Linux. Never been more comfy.

>trueOS
>2x cucked by being both freebsd and run by a company
>best anything

>rust meme
>no place for the project whose utilities get constantly ported and widely used in other OSes
>supports unaudited patchset over a bloated and deprecated feminazi OS
thanks, I needed a good laugh today

Attached: 1521566057035.jpg (503x478, 73K)

FreeBSD and OpenBSD use different mirrors in different locations. What difference does it make that he's trying to install the same package if he's getting it from two different servers in two different parts of the world that'll result in different connection/download speeds?

nevermind, can't read

AMD GPU works fine for my machine

NetBSD is the true minimalist, bloat-free OS. And I really wish people would port it as a hacking exercise instead of fucking Linux every single time.

>bloat-free OS
Truth. Got an old laptop with a built-for-the-laptop kernel... 200KB kernel image.

Support your claims.
With amdgpu or radeon driver? Radeon only supports ancient video cards.

>FreeBSD can go fuck itself with a cactus, ever since they ejected their best developer (Matt of DiceC/Dragonfly fame)
How recently did you adopt this opinion?

>DragonFlyBSD does have less users than other BSDs, but there are some people on Jow Forums who use it.
Is this the new Plan 9 revival?

>FreeBSD recently lost a lot of maintainers (although they will gaslight you on leddit about this),
How many?

>openbsd is just as portable as netbsd
NetBSD's killer features is the cross-compilation.
netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-build.html
>Alpine Linux
I like Alpine for VMs and containers, but is it a good desktop?

NetBSD is only good if you're using hardware not supported by OpenBSD. Otherwise, use OpenBSD.

NetBSD is good if you want to mess with its unique kernel features:
rumpkernel.org/
netbsd.org/gallery/presentations/mbalmer/fosdem2012/kernel_mode_lua.pdf

>And the core developers use macOS with a FreeBSD vm
That's a reason for not using FreeBSD actually. If even the developers don't use it as their main os why someone else should?

Ah, well ancient card reporting in. Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition. Can't remember which driver, but I think Radeon driver was the one I used.

>I like Alpine for VMs and containers, but is it a good desktop?
Can you give time literature on that?
I need to use Python's "scrapy" which I can not use in my main Void installation, since it uses LibreSSL and scrapy requires openssl.

I decided to run Ubuntu in chroot, but he's more and more about containers.

Are they a viable solution to my problem? I basically need a bunch of devel packages and to install scrapy using pip3.

My Macbook Pro identifies as a Thinkpad running FreeBSD.

t. FreeBSD developer (pronouns: xir/xeg/fag)

I installed netbsd on my laptop
First bsd to work on it without many issues.
I just have a few questions:
is there anyway of disabling the pc speaker when typing on a tty(the alarm bell)
What is a good wireless manager you recommend
What is the equivelant of pulseaudio,alsa,whatever that you use on the bsd world?

>is there anyway of disabling the pc speaker
On OpenBSD you can use wsconsctl, dunno about NetBSD. But there is also the command 'xset -b' that should work on any X server, independent of OS. Put it on you .xinitrc or whatever your startup file is.
>What is a good wireless manager you recommend
Use wpa_supplicant for wireless. On NetBSD there might be wpa_gui, which saves you from configuring wpa_supplicant.conf, but it ain't that hard though.
>What is the equivelant of pulseaudio,alsa,whatever that you use on the bsd world?
This might be different between BSD's. On OBSD we have sndio as a sound server, but you can also use pulseaudio if you are a masochist.

I wish Inferno would have a revival. An Infernofront project, but I'm not smart enough.

>Can you give time literature on that?
The fuck?
>Are they a viable solution to my problem?
1. Install Docker
2. Use something like github.com/allanfann/scrapy

If you're using it under KVM make sure you're using virtio disk and NIC drivers.

OpenBSD is the only one that still ships binary packages for PPC and SPARC.

9front is still going lol.

>The fuck?
I don't know anything about containers.
I'm running pretty minimal kernel and none of them list required kernel options.
I even made an issue on rocket's GitHub about that a year ago.
I mostly use chroots.
>1. Install Docker
>2. Use something like github.com/allanfann/scrapy
Thanks. But I've meant it in the sense of "is this a good application for my use case".

> I like Alpine for VMs and containers, but is it a good desktop?
LOL no. Who uses Linux or *BSD as desktops? Those machines are basically home server, router and lab.

>is this a good application for my use case
What application, Docker? Alpine Linux (though it isn't an application)? It's hard to make sense of your posts.

>Who uses Linux or *BSD as desktops?
Irrelevant post. The question was pretty obviously asked in the context of desktop *nix.

Sorry.
I've meant to ask whether containers (docker, rocket, what not) are adequate for running programs that don't work or are available for my distro, such as (but not limited to) python plugins.

Currently I'm using chroot for that but not sure that's optimal.

Since you are using considers, I thought you may decide some insight.

What does BSD have that Linux doesn't?
What does BSD have that Debian doesn't?

Yes, Docker has become a popular solution for that, though I have no idea how well it works on Void; I've only run Docker on openSUSE and Debian. Rocket is, sadly, irrelevant for now.

Didn't mean to namefag.