What went wrong in the 80's?

Women used to dominate Computer Science but in the 80's they stopped studying it.

Attached: n-programming-a-20160611-870x668.jpg (870x668, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_computing#Worldwide_Timeline
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Computers used to be a thing used by secretaries. Then as technology got more complex and the demand grew, the women got weeded out.

Men wrote the algorithms and women were the secretaries that coded them. This was before programming was complex or enjoyable. It was nothing more than a tedious task computer scientists couldn't be bothered with

It turned out that there was a lot of money to be made in the field, so men who couldn't get into other industries looked for success here.

You guys don't know shit about what we had in the '60s and '70s, do you?

Attached: sys360-195s.jpg (3319x2600, 772K)

Jews.

Attached: 1486149626567.jpg (500x667, 59K)

Grace Hopper

Look her up anons

Attached: 1520902775823.png (1080x1920, 1.09M)

The ACM changed the definition of a computer programmer in 1982 to exclude keypunch operators, etc.

the only people that bring up grace hopper are gender studies majors that can't code their way out of a paper bag

wow great single data point in a discussion about trends in a general population, you female rebbit trash. you have to go back

Attached: 1510617670695.png (626x815, 852K)

computer science didnt really exist as a degree program until the 80s, before that most the women who worked in computing (Grace Hopper, Fran Allen, Barbara Liskoff) were all math majors. Also there really wasnt a large computer industry in the 70s other than IBM.

Well the lack of women in engineering disciplines (both software "engineering" and other engineering) correlates with the gender equality index of the country i.e. the more you free up women to choose the less they choose those things. So the answer is going to be one of two things: Either programming stopped being something women want to do or social changes meant women felt more free to do other things.

>Hey guys here is one example of a girl that actually contributed to the field of computer science!
>This means that women in general are just as good if not better than men!
This is women logic in a nutshell, no wonder there is an earnings gap.

It became much more easier so m*n could finally could process it with their tiny brains

> The share of women in computer science started falling at roughly the same moment when personal computers started showing up in U.S. homes in significant numbers.

> These early personal computers weren't much more than toys. You could play pong or simple shooting games, maybe do some word processing. And these toys were marketed almost entirely to men and boys.

> She found that families were much more likely to buy computers for boys than for girls — even when their girls were really interested in computers.

> This was a big deal when those kids got to college. As personal computers became more common, computer science professors increasingly assumed that their students had grown up playing with computers at home.

> "I remember this one time I asked a question and the professor stopped and looked at me and said, 'You should know that by now,' " she recalls. "And I thought 'I am never going to excel.' "

> In the '70s, that never would have happened: Professors in intro classes assumed their students came in with no experience. But by the '80s, that had changed.

npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding

Attached: wcs.png (592x467, 31K)

No, they didn't. Stop perpetuating myths. Men used to use them to copy punch cards because they fucked it up less than men. When higher level languages became a thing they got the boot.

Attached: 31337823_1801946643225880_8233516941394837504_n.jpg (960x948, 44K)

>Medical school
>Close to 50%
Getting your associates in nursing means you work in the medical field, not that you went to medical school.

>invented cobol
AND PEOPLE SAY WOMEN CAN INTO TECH

>I am literally retarded

This.
If you retarded faggots would stay off Jow Forums for longer than 2 seconds and actually took mathematics courses *like you're supposed to in CS* you'd notice that upper division courses are overwhelmingly female, with most of the men in those classes there tangentially as engineers satisfying a requirement.
It has nothing to do with "CS used to be just filling out punchcards!"
CS used to be making microkernel changes on the mainframe with 400 people logged into it running computations *while it was running* and then just hoping it didn't crash the whole fucking thing, because if it did boy were you fucked.

>CS used to be making microkernel changes on the mainframe with 400 people logged into it running computations *while it was running* and then just hoping it didn't crash the whole fucking thing, because if it did boy were you fucked.
Then were are all of the great contributions made to CS by women?

video games were marketed towards boys and not girls

you showed those shitlords

Attached: 1473907775504.png (763x1065, 520K)

A lot of foundational ones were, yes.

I've never met a single person who took a mathematics course past multivariable and vector calculus who still thought like this.

Not an argument

>upper division courses
>overwhelmingly female

Attached: 1359318601925.jpg (400x400, 80K)

>Women used to dominate Computer Science
Women back then in the industry were just typists, sick of this shitty meme

>A lot of foundational ones were, yes.
*where

What am I looking at

LUL

>Figures on upper divisions being overwhelmingly female
Absent
>Complete ignorance of the reality of early day computer science
Present
>Figures on women committing the most development to "microkernel changes on the mainframe" (lol)
Absent

Stop wasting peoples time you fucking faggot.

Attached: tmp_5864-15235191982064384388763129537114.jpg (533x388, 177K)

>All these notable female programmers throughout history don't exist because I want to believe they were just dumb typists
Google it faggot, I'm not your personal wikipedia source.

>If you retarded faggots would stay off Jow Forums for longer than 2 seconds and actually took mathematics courses *like you're supposed to in CS* you'd notice that upper division courses are overwhelmingly female

What the fuck are you talking about? Are you Indian or something? here in the west women flunk out of the math in their first year.

Female math graduates are rare as fuck if your country has a real, non-pajeet tier math program.

So you stopped at what, calc 2 then? Just enough to satisfy the bare minimum on your degree plan?

>you'd notice that upper division courses are overwhelmingly female

Attached: 1500159345993.jpg (1280x720, 104K)

Attached: 1501409795716.png (382x491, 124K)

>Google it faggot, I'm not your personal wikipedia source.
No, you're just incapable of making a compelling argument

Attached: 4B0D14F4-97C3-4A82-AB22-89417B9C7516.jpg (586x578, 45K)

>makes a wild claim
>tells people to google it
Protip: This graph shows that upper level CS courses are mostly male.

Attached: 1359679235979.png (490x480, 101K)

>you'd notice that upper division courses are overwhelmingly female
You are delusional man

I'm a male math major and I didn't stop. I graduated just fine.

Your projection is like god tier stupid.

Show me the female equivalents of Turing, Sussman, Dijkstra, McCarthy, Church, and Neumann

Attached: 1522982386577.png (668x768, 69K)

>Women used to dominate Computer Science but in the 80's they stopped studying it

[citation needed]

The problem with you indoctrinated retards is that you cannot even grasp the concept of sustaining a claim so the very moment someone ask for proofs your delusional lies crumble on the spot

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_computing#Worldwide_Timeline
I don't have to make a compelling argument, this shit is factual.

You've never stepped foot into an upper division course at a university with more than 3000 students.

See above. Both where I got my bachelors and where I'm attending for my Masters have >50% women in the upper division math courses.
Basically fuckall in the CS courses.

The problem with you indoctrinated retards is that you cannot even grasp the concept of disputing a claim so the very moment somebody gives you examples your delusions kick into overdrive and you scream "Not an argument"

stop replying to yourself

nice overwhelming majority, retard boy

Attached: 1495885632593.png (790x2125, 181K)

For the most part this list is downright pathetic and confirms the stereotypes of women being both the exception and often stuck in trivial roles in the industry, and this was probably the best thing they could come up with

Thanks for proving yourself wrong once again

>tfw she goes to Wellesley

Attached: 12bda0c37f078a101da922e2710d2d22.jpg (512x512, 35K)

Men used to dominate teaching but in the 80's they stopped studying it.

Attached: Favourite-Teacher-Essay-.jpg (630x420, 133K)

>be literal half of a discipline
>make a painfully low number of the contributions

CAN'T MAKE THIS UP

Only chink girls are good coding, white, niggers an pajeet girls are retards.

Dude, my wife's daughter is a computer programmer. You insult her and everyone like her every day when you insist that the most patriarchal era of programming was actually the golden era.

The delusion is strong with this one. Even in my heavily left leaning uni most top level graduate level math/cs/engineering students are mostly male.

>Both where I got my bachelors and where I'm attending for my Masters have >50% women in the upper division math courses.

I challenge you to find more than 2 universities in non-shit tier countries (i.e. not in china/india)

Where the majority of mathematics major graduates are female and post the statistics in this thread.

>user posting from an alternate dystopian universe where the sciences are ruled by women
my condolences.

Attached: 1493579431397.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

I took diff eq, analysis, numerical analysis, linear algebra and all the cs math reqs too. There's a lot more math beyond that, but within that you ain't right.

>Physical sciences
>Medicine

Whoever made this graph has such an obvious agenda. Plot obgyn vs radiology. Plot physics vs bio. You will see much dumber discrepancies.

Abritrarily stratifying your data can make any point, congrats you made it through ap stats NPR

Underrated, but do they have a grad program?

At the time computer science was 90% menial work and 10% brain,so women fit just right.
I know your women's studies professor told you women dominated cs and Grace Hopper and they dominate "upper" math but this is just pure,unfiltered bullshit anyone with a bit (not a lot,a bit) of critical thinking would immediately understand.

Attached: 1496871886719.png (741x643, 66K)

calcified pineal gland

>technology got more complex
yeah guess 20 years of writing assembly, FORTRAN and COBOL programs by keypunch, reading bookshelves of documentation and manually debugging software register by register using a programmer's console was too easy on those wymyn, glass teletypes and BASIC and IDEs and standard libraries just made everything so hard and impossible for their little brains to comprehend

i feel really smart and accomplished when i get a node app running on my macbook, don't think those whores and their primitive mainframes would ever understand, did MVS even run python? lol

just give up sweetie

i'm enrolled in a uni that's like 65% female

there is literally one girl in my combinatorics course out of 28 people including me.

stay toasty, rostie.

Attached: wymyn.jpg (725x457, 118K)

She is right tough

So it's all American culture's fault. They make it seem like a man's job so women stopped caring about it.

Idc if she spends her life coding in Python, this girl is cute ASF!!

The Jews

Daily reminder that human girls suck at programming and only youkai girls are good at computers.

Attached: Yukarin.png (1279x696, 917K)

Software development stopped being basically just math and became a creative process. Creative autism made it more attractive to men who generally like building things and design virtual worlds. It's like lego or minecraft now.

>When Jow Forumstards infect Jow Forums the thread

H-1B's

Nigger here in Germany 60% of the med students are girls.

>most top level graduate level math/cs/engineering students are mostly male.
Are they traps?

Attached: 1524760113099 (1).jpg (400x400, 26K)

wow, Jow Forums must be pretty liberal!
xD

>overwhelmingly female upper division courses

this isn't true at any top 10 CS school in the USA. I'm pretty excited most quarters to get a 30:70 ratio, but a 15:85 is more common.

t. someone who goes to one and has hs friends in all of them

Female quota.

Jow Forums sure does rustle easy, i thought autists were suppose to have thicker skin than this?

Attached: rustled.png (1390x486, 37K)

This looks so fucking comfy