How much would google and facebook be hurt if everyone on the internet were using an ad-block software?

How much would google and facebook be hurt if everyone on the internet were using an ad-block software?

Attached: ublock.jpg (670x500, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/l0Wl8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they wouldn't exist

I doubt that

Isn't there an increasing amount of people using adblock? Yet they still seem fine.

why do you think they're building whole operational systems? To not allow it to happen on the kernel level.

This, it's the ultimate goal of all these notmalfags botnet companies, to lock out users in their ecosystem.

I'm pretty sure Google can circumvent adblockers if they want to, by for example integrating the ads into the videos on YouTube. And integrating the ads in other content.

Plus Chrome is the dominant browser, so they could ban adblockers from their store. Which would help a bit.

Adblockers currently disable in video ads on youtube.
But you're right about this one.
>they could ban adblockers from their store
Google already did this with the android store.

So to answer your question. Adblockers probably work as long as only a minority uses it. Because they don't feel like starting an arms race.

If the majority would use it, then they would probably pull every option out of the closet. Also on the users side, with Microsoft and Google putting more DRM shit in your browser and ads being mixed into content.

>Adblockers currently disable in video ads on youtube.
Only because they are streamed separately.

If they weren't streamed separately, it would be harder for them to dynamically deliver ad packages based on the viewer

>if everyone on the internet were using an ad-block software?
They'd start blocking you from using their site. Plenty of others have.
They are probably going to do the same if your phone doesn't leak data, as well.

not even 5% of people use ad blockers

That depends on how you implement it.

In theory the user could just see the data streamed from a front end server, while the server itself draws streaming data from multiple other servers. So it looks like it comes from one source at the front, while it actually combines multiple streams in the back.

I wonder if it's more due to ignorance or the "ethics" of blocking ads.

Definitely the former. Most people are complete normies and don't even know what a browser extension is.

Interesting, but unlikely, as that would require more server side work, and the trend is to offload to the browser.

archive.fo/l0Wl8

Attached: niggauwrong.jpg (670x377, 43K)

Coincidentally most tech savvy websites struggle to stay afloat because their userbase is smart enough to use adblock.

On the other hand you do see more and more live streams. And you don't download full videos with live streams. Instead you enjoy a constant stream of data. So they could just as well show you something else.

They would literally get laws passed to make it illegal to use a site without viewing its ads, like it's stealing

Attached: 1360489355504.gif (500x375, 359K)

Ads would adapt. You'd see significantly more baked in ads, in form of in-media sponsorship just like in the old days. In fact, it's one of the reasons you're seeing more and more sponsored content each day.

>they could ban adblockers from their store
Chrome has inferior adblocking and tracker blocking capabilities compared to Firefox. They already rigged it to minimize damage done by ad blocking.

>Google already did this with the android store.
They haven't blocked browsers with ad blocks yet. Firefox/Klar, Lightning, Brave, Samsung Browser are still up.

This would work but it wouldn't be cost efficient. YouTube is already not profitable, imagine if they had to do this much more computing. I mean, it would work for the full screen ads, but the smaller pop-up ads would have to be abandoned or video edited dynamically.

Actually that's already close to how YouTube full sized video ads work. They'd just have to split stream packets into intervals of a set amount of seconds, then just send the array to the end user but sneak in an ad in a specific location and treating the whole thing as a single video.

Actually closer to 40

They struggle because nobody wants to visit a site with notification popup + email subscribe popup + autoplay videos + ads + random as fuck layout to be 'trendy'

If advertising on the Google search engine would be made impossible, then demand for YouTube ad space would skyrocket.

>Chrome has inferior adblocking and tracker blocking capabilities compared to Firefox. They already rigged it to minimize damage done by ad blocking.
stop reposting fud from gorhill

I normally use affiliate ads so I don't have to have Google on my website.
But these days I've noticed that Google is getting more into affiliates now themselves as well.
Which is quite problematic, because now Google is directly competing with me. Sometimes even with content from my own website.

Definitely ignorance.

I bought up with the tech team that our 30,000 users weren't able to use ad blockers due to "security" policies and the general view was that since noone knew what an ad blocker was they must be a scam..

most of our staff doesn't know what an adblocker is because all systems by default block ads
i wouldnt ever take the risk of going adblock-less in 2018

Using the content of other people has always been Googles business model.
That's also why newspapers were suing Google.

Prove it's wrong. Why do you think he had to create a seperate extension to work alongside ubo for Chrome?

Because a company called instart logic only deploys their anti-adblock tools on chrome for some reason. There is nothing that stops them from being used on firefox, they just aren't.

you made the claim, back it up instead of relying on a tranny

Different user, and Gorhill is the one that made the claim. Look up ublock extra. How does this not make sense to you?

Attached: read.png (1530x800, 104K)

>ethics
My privacy! My security! My resources!
It's too easy to find moral justification in blocking ads so I bout it's ethics.

Chrome already ships with an integrated adblocker that blocks anything that isn't from Google and its associates. They're afraid that more and more people will use adblockers that actually work.
>a company called instart logic only deploys their anti-adblock tools on chrome for some reason
It's probably related to

Because Firefox has 2% market share now. It's not relevant.