My laptop sucks, which distro should I install? Currently using Mint and it's slow as fuck

My laptop sucks, which distro should I install? Currently using Mint and it's slow as fuck.

Attached: images.jpg (300x168, 5K)

install gentoo

Xububtu or Lububtu.

Xubuntu 18.04

Attached: 1524969968735.jpg (327x346, 62K)

Fedora kde

lubuntu is made with shitty computers in mind so probably lubuntu.

Mint slow as fuck? You serious? I had a laptop from 2009 and it ran vista. With the time it got slower, so I installed mint like 4 years ago. It were so light

i'm a brainlet but i'll try gentoo. if it's too hard i'll just go with lubuntu

Why Fedora KDE when openSUSE exist?

Not OP, Freezing every minute is fucking annoying

You dont need to change your distro to speed it up, just install another DE or wm, like lxde or xfce4 or i3.

You could install clover os. Its pre-riced gentoo that comes with a fancy easy to use installer

but it's bloated as fuck right now, just wanted to start with a clean slate.
i'll try if gentoo doesn't work out.

>too slow for mint
fluxbox, icewm, jwm are more likely to just work than any actual DE
try slitaz or the like, I doubt your computer could even handle openbox

Why any KDE-based distro when KDE neon exists?

Arch lxde

Void Linux is very good for weak machines.
You can also check out MUSL variant.

i just installed korora 26 xfce on a family members i5 vaio that was running infested win7, leading to "i need a new computer" korora was described as "light weight" and "user friendly", keep in mind, its for a boomer with absolutely no tech experience, without a ssd, 4gb, its super snappy, boots under 40 seconds, and all hardware was working smooth, dunno how old your machine is, or what you need to do, but its just something to check out, it was a nice install experience too

this

This It's fucking fast. Try it, you'll never regret. I'm using it as my daily system. Also, you should try i3wm if you have a shit hardware.

arch, or manjaro if you're a brainlet

Just get a lightweight DE/WM, doesn't really matter the distro actually, obviously on gentoo compiling everything will get you slightly better results, but again.. I don't think you want to compile everything in that laptop.

than use heavy DEs go with i3/openbox/lxde/xfce
and for core os go like this on brainlet scale
Gentoo>Arch>Antergos>Alpine>Xubuntu

damn
than DON'T use heavy DEs.....

Arch linux minimalist rolling bleeding edge
Make sure to not install bloat like"X" or "the GNU coreutils" tho

>icewm
I wish that shit worked for me, I've tried it on multiple distros and computers and it always freezes up 5 minutes in.

which flavor? if using mint cinnamon or kde, switch to mint mate

lubuntu is also an option

A-R-C-H

Ubuntu Mate

Debian, choose lxde in setup.

This is the correct answer, if you are a brainlet and can't install arch or alpine or gentoo with distcc. Also, use openbox or icewm.

OpenSUSE + KDE is a lot better than NEON

>My laptop sucks
Unironically, OpenBSD.

openBSD is only a choice if your laptop is a thinkpad

That's not even remotely true.
If you think that's the level of support the BSDs do have, then you've obviously never used any.
I type this on my workstation, but have a Dell D630 open in the same desk, running openbsd.
I use it as aux webbrowser and ssh terminal.

Right after install, without any effort put into it:
- X works
- touchpad works
- accel'd video works (intel)
- sound works
- literally, open chrome, visit youtube, video and sound playing just fine. Audio surprisingly factory unmuted.

To be clear, that with D630 and every laptop I tried.
The one thing that needs manual setup is apm (trivial to do), to enable power management, which is generally desirable for a laptop.

manjaro

Try a live dvd

Arch
- Distro manjaro is based on
- Not just yet another lame derivative, unlike manjaro, mint, ubuntu
- Higher quality than manjaro
- More users than manjaro
- Way more developers than manjaro
Literally, there's no reason to use manjaro other than falling for the meme.

If mint is running like shit on a laptop, then you need a new laptop

>manjaro
pls kys. don't even mention that steaming pile of shit.
>Manjaro backports everything from arch, but waits until they are ""Stable""
This leads into a situation where bug fixes simply get delayed. Arch is a rolling release distro, and should NOT be used as basis for a stable distro.
>Manjaro's developers and maintainers are incompetent
Can't even renew their SSL certs and keep on making the same mistake over and over again. Top Fucking Kek.
>muh AUR access
AUR access is DANGEROUS for beginners because AUR doesn't have ANY quality control whatsoever:; every PKBUILD script could be a trojan, and ofc you can't expect a beginner to read or understand a script
>there are better distros for both power users and beginners
TL;DR use Alpine/Arch/Gentoo/NixOS/guix/source mage/slackware/LFS/Fedora/Debian/OpenSUSE/or some flavour of Ubuntu

so much manjaro hate, i guess that means freebsd is better than linux