Gentoo depreciated for Void?

Why should I install Gentoo when Void Linux exists?
>no systemd, it's not even an option like on gentoo
>don't have to needlessly compile everything, but you still can if you want with xbps-src
>true rolling release, kernel 4.15 is stable, don't have to unmask
>runit is faster than openrc
>libressl is fully supported, unlike on gentoo, and is the default
>xbps-install is a binary package manager that is faster than pacman
>both muscl and glibc are fully supported

Does Gentoo even have a single advantage at this point?

Attached: void.png (768x633, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/pull/13771
github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/blob/master/Manual.md#build_options
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>depreciated

I wish it would become more popular. It also supports 32 bit unlike arch and arm cpus meaning you can use it on a chromebook.

I find xbps-src pretty annoying.
I had to download the whole fucking repo (even shallow it's pretty big) just to compile a single package with an extra flag.

That's a word, ya dingus.

im waiting for void documentation to improve and sticking to fedora kde in the meantime

they build firefox with telemetry enabled
that should tell you all you need to know about their competence

>depreciated
>deprecated

gentoo is about choice and full control over your system, void is meme tier distro for fedora tippers, also from my experience it’s prone to stuff breaking out of nowhere on update

I tried switching from gentoo to void because compiling everything became a hassle, but I couldnt get the nvidia drivers working so I gave up and moved back to debian.

What do you mean? Pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20180429_092411.png (1630x530, 131K)

> true rolling release, kernel 4.15 is stable
I'm on 4.16 right now

Yeah I updated after I posted.
xbps-install -S void-repo-nonfree
xbps-install -S nvidia

Worked for me on pascal GPU

It's either Gentoo, Debian or Arch. Fuck off with your void stuff.

Nice argument. Counter the points in the OP or gtfo.
Also
>Arch
>Debian
>Using Pottering bloat ever

hipster distro

I installed it one month ago and everything is already broken after a few updates.

>hipster distro
All you have are empty platitudes. Do you care about the actual tech stack you use or are you just on Jow Forums to feel cool about your autistic Arch Rice?

I could install the driver package with no problem but I couldnt load the module. I cant remember the exact error message I got but I think it was something about missing/unknown symbols.
I might try installing it again some other time but for now I'm comfy with debian

>Why should I install that one distro that is about optimizing, choice and building my own stuff if I could as well be installing a distro that has none of those and is completely different?
INSTALL GENTOO and see for yourself. People tell you to do that in order to make you figure out these things on your own. Look at the void documentation. Look at the gentoo documentation. If you install void, how long will it take you figure out what's on your system and what's not? How long will it take you to customize and remove bullshit you didn't even know you had before you checked? Sorry, but your initial question is so dumb, I have to point it out. Why do you even compare those two?

So, so much this.

debian+dwm masterrace here

You're underestimating how minimal a void net install is. I know exactly what's on my system.
If I were autistic enough about firmware I could compile my own kernel, it's not hard. And yes, Void documentation is lacking in terms of hand holding but it has everything you need if you're not a brainlet or newbie

this

you have arch for arm

Is it the wayland issues from a couple days ago? Can be fixed with a single command if so. First issue I've had since installing back in july. If it's the wayland issue where gtk-3 applications aren't running just say and I'll throw you the command

I'm trying to decide between void and slack. Any obvious advantages to one vs the other

its a known issue, you can manually install the latest nvidia drivers (the driver package in the nonfree repo is slightly outdated) or you can use kernel 4.9 (xbps-install linux-lts linux-lts-headers)

user, how did you hide the upper bar where normally buttons like 'file' are?

Nevermind I'm retarded.

If you mean Konsole it's just under settings>configure Konsole and then the very first option.

Those are two words, ya dingus

What do you think comes with a fresh void install?

Yeah thank you I had figured it out myself.

One little question, how did you add that keychain and ssh? Thanks in advance.

One makes sense in that context; the other does not. Ya' dingus.

I tried it months ago, but it's trash. runit never manages to actually start services properly and lots of popular packages have annoying issues not present in other distros. Dropped.

>depreCIAted
guess who is behind this thread

void still isn't source based distro and it doesn't have USE flags or profiles. Also, gentoo is more stable in my experience and overlays are comfy

Gentoo does all of that and your statement about runit being faster is a blatant lie.

Don't forget the best part about void: PONIES

Attached: mylittlevoid.png (1920x1080, 75K)

my pi boots up quicker with void with runit than archlinuxarm with systemd

How is void on pi. I have been thinking about it

>runit never manages to actually start services properly
wat.

>packages have annoying issues not present in other distros
this is sadly an issue in void, most likely because someone volunteers to add their favourite package to the repos but then they continue distro hopping and the package in void repos don't get properly maintained.

>no Xmonad in repos
>have to cabal install it
Why should I use this distro with nothing in repos exactly? I didn't sign up a binary distro to compile my desktop

Works very well.
At least for older Pis.

AFAIK for the later 64-bit Pis Void still doesn't support everything.

xmonad is bloat

Haskell packages in repos are always a mess, which is why I never let the packagemanager touch haskell in any way.
You are better of that way too.

Is there a rolling binary distro that doesn't use systemd or Linux-libre and is not Void?

Also doesn't force you to use musl

alpine?

See

Why not use void if it's what you want?

Because I'm already using it and it's shit

You think a different one will be less shit?
The thing that makes it shit (for you) is probably that it's rolling release.

Arch wasn't that bad though before I started having issues with systemd

Are you still salty because of the April Fools prank?

And what are your problems with void?

Neither X nor Wayland ever worked properly and after every update they get even more broken than before

Void is bloat.
Alpine Linux is where it's at.

Are you talking about X not starting on the latest Kernel and/or the libwayland thing?

The real deal is stali linux.

Is it practical?

X does start, but there many issues like random freezes, can't use screen lockers, render artifacts, xgamma not working, keyboard configuration randomly changing, terminal colors randomly stopping working, and others. Also for some reason firefox is incredibly slow.
Most of these happen both with and without hardware acceleration, so they're not just graphics driver issues.

Ran into this issue yesterday. Not really hard at all to resolve. Void's documentation/wiki really bites. But the official forum is actually quite helpful. And there's a minimal amount of shit flinging there compared to the Arch/Gentoo forums.
Never understood the meme about Void breaking with every odd update. I've only encountered a few issues, and I've used the distro for over a year now. I use the musl variant on my home server, too. For a rolling distro, it's surprisingly solid. And this is coming from a dude who ran Debian Stable for a long, long time.

Are there programs or libraries that don't work with musl?

Probably not very much.
But I really enjoy the idea.

Do you have the nvidia 390.25 installed?
It's some real crap. I don't know how nvidia could produce such garbage.
The next one, which is waiting to merged fixes things.
github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/pull/13771

If it isn't this, then I don't know.

any closed source program won't work

It's an Intel card, and right now I have hardware acceleration disabled.

The irony

Where's the irony?

closed source software only works with gpl.

there are a few meme arch forks

You have terminal brain cancer

Don't use nvidia cards then.

If you have such a program that you really need you could always run it in a glibc chroot in your musl system.
There's a guide on the wiki.

Seriously though, I still have a few years left before I would normally choose to build a new PC, but I'm consdiering dumping my 980 ti for some kind of amd card, low or high end at this point.

>Also doesn't force you to use musl
Void has glibc isos

We'll see which distro is still around in 10 years, my money would be on Gentoo. Why use rolling release when there's no guarantee of LTS?
Also, being able to compile packages from a ports tree is a positive feature of Gentoo. You don't *have* to compile your packages, you *get* to customize your packages.

>Why use rolling release when there's no guarantee of LTS?
Nothing has guarantee of LTS.

install gentoo

Because Lubuntu Exists

Legitimate question here. I'm currently using Alpine but Virtio net drivers are broken as fuck to me. Void seems like a decent alternative considering all my important home server and lab stuff is dockerized. However I do need samba=>4.8 file server and dc because of 'certain' features introduced in this version. Currently Alpine edge supplies those packages but Void only has samba 3.6. How can I install the version I need (source based installs are fine I justI don't want to manage it by hand).

>TWO blog posts about how they have ponies
No thanks

Attached: 2018-04-29-546480.png (920x594, 28K)

>no systemd, it's not even an option like on gentoo
fewer options isn't a benefit
>don't have to needlessly compile everything, but you still can if you want with xbps-src
Are there use flags? things like firefox's JACK flag are very useful.
>true rolling release, kernel 4.15 is stable, don't have to unmask
4.15 isn't masked. it's unstable. The user has to manually accept unstable software if they want it, but it's much different than masked software.
When software is masked, it means that there is a deficiency. When software is marked unstable, it just means that it hasn't had sufficient testing or it won't have a long enough life to be in the stable branch.
>runit is faster than openrc
It takes me less than 20 seconds to boot on a sysvinit system. who cares anymore?
>xbps-install is a binary package manager that is faster than pacman
pacman is fast to the point where an increase in speed would barely be noticable
>both muscl and glibc are fully supported
gentoo supports uclibc

why even bother comparing a binary distribution to gentoo
completely different use case

portage is literally the advantage of gentoo you dumbfuck. saying you can use xbps-src is like saying you can just cp your binary into /usr while using gentoo. musl libc is also supported on gentoo and gentoo is indeed rolling release, change your profiles if you're so afraid of unmasking.

runit is good but openrc is more intuitive and flexible with conf.d. void literally does not target the same audience as gentoo, gentoo is almost entirely about choice. void aims to optimize. i use void on my laptop and it's great because i don't need a lot of packages, but void would be a fucking pain if i used it on my workstation and needed niche packages like namd, gromacs, lammps and abinit which gentoo has and are actually well maintained. if i didn't have a package in gentoo i could easily just write an ebuild without needing to host the whole binary, and i can manually tune libraries which are sensitive to cache layout like BLAS and trim features out of the kernel i don't need or add modules that aren't included.

My dude, the most minimal void install available has like 60 packages total at end of install

by design a source based distro will have more packages as it has to come with the full toolchain to build packages but at least you have an actual usable system and not some DOS tier bare shell.

>Are there use flags? things like firefox's JACK flag are very useful.
github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/blob/master/Manual.md#build_options
but there is no option for jack in firefox template. you can make pull request if you want to

>it's another depreciated OP

Void has issues with consolekit and kde. How do I add the shutdown button? Don't want to use the terminal to shutdoen my pc everytime.

install and enable acpid

>firefox
>JACK

Wait, I thought firefox required pulseaudio?

I do actually, but I'll die knowing I could install Arch on an arm platform, unlike you.

Slackware-current

Probably comes with the rep of being rolling release

Stage 5, brutal

this desu

ArchLinux ARM a shit (and a third-party project).
They broke the wandboard version years ago but they still list it as a supported board.

What about Funtoo?

Attached: void.png (1440x1938, 433K)