Does not aim to be POSIX compliant

>does not aim to be POSIX compliant
lwn.net/Articles/718267/
>not unix-like
>kernel is written in fucking C++
github.com/fuchsia-mirror/zircon
Why do people think OS is going to be good exactly?
It's a cool academic project sure, but since POSIX compatibility isn't an aim of their development, even fucking Minix is a better microkernel for heavens sake

Attached: New-OS-by-Google-Fuchsia-Under-Development.jpg (480x360, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/fuchsia-mirror/zircon/tree/master/kernel/kernel
github.com/servo/servo
github.com/fuchsia-mirror/zircon/tree/master/third_party/uapp/dash
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagefright_(bug)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>implying being POSIX compliant is a good thing

POSIX is shit. The ancient UNIX principles have slowed down progress far too long. The shittyness of Win32 too.
It's seriously time to innovate.

Nobody thinks this.
The poeple posting about it on here are actual shills employed by google.
Google wants to control the OS space as well (naturally), so they do their best to guarantee that this will happen.
The first step is getting tech enthusiasts on board, which will then evangelize by themselves at some point.
So they pay people to shill their crap on here.

if NT was written in C++ and dropped the Win32 interface

>>kernel is written in fucking C++
woah bro some of it is in C
github.com/fuchsia-mirror/zircon/tree/master/kernel/kernel

Interesting claims, my dude. Now, back them up.

>Jow Forums is already sperging out against our new lord and savior
kek

>So they pay people to shill their crap on here.
L O L

They would pay people to shill on reddit or tech forums.

And also on Jow Forums. More people visit this site than you think.
And it's not like also posting here takes much time.
It's even simpler than with other sites, since you don't have to take care of accounts here.

It's interesting that people call out obvious shilling but they don't bother calling out the 80% of other posts around here which are still shilling, just not obvious/direct.
Literally no one bothers to call out the stallman worship, the communist sympathies, the linux shilling (some people even spend a lot of time posting ideas of how to indoctrinate future generations into linux), or generals that do nothing but shill products (spg, chinkshit, headphones, mpv, wdg and frameworks, etc).
Jow Forums barely has any actual posts anymore.

Well, Jow Forums is THE shill central of Jow Forums, since this is practically the consumerism board.

no need because its his opinion not a claim, i want to see diversity in operating system world
and not two main families like so far

This, Fuchsia has zero advantages over Windows. Abandoning POSIX and UNIX is a horrible idea.

>Why do people think OS is going to be good
Literally who?

No one thinks it's going to be good, but what it is going to be is useful. Much the same way the Applel ecosystem is useful, Alphakek plans to do the same thing, but with a much lower entry cost and a much larger range of devices in the Fuchsia ecosystem. Hell, once it's fully finished, probably the only device you'll have to buy is a Fuchsia phone since everything else you can build yourself or repurpose something you already have. Granted, if you're a normie you're going to want to buy prebuilt solutions since building a rpi powered smart fridge would be an awfully daunting task for a normie.

>not unix-like
good

>not PISSIX compliant

Even better

No reason to be tied down by ancient shit not designed for modern machines.

>No reason to be tied down by ancient shit not designed for modern machines.
This.

This but unironically

10 rupees have been deposited into your Google Account.

Do they even need to? Jow Forums is naturally contrarian

>10 rupees

Maybe I'd care if it was 10 roubles тoвapищ

Just represent what you shill in a light that makes it seem compatible to the users here.
The dumb fall for it all the time

Why pay shills when corporate fanboy consumerists will shill for you for free?

Because there needs to be initial Momentum before that happens.
It's a basic recipe.
- Shill your stuff, giving well thought arguments as for why people want your thing
- people latch on, and repeat the arguments (sometimes not even understanding them)

This. I don't understand why people glorify unix so much when it's an obsolete proprietary philosophy that was good like back in the 80s,but it's time to move on.

>everything is a file
>retarded file permissions system

because it sucks .... less

You should read the lwn post first before inane comments.
user...

>I don't understand why people glorify unix so much
It's a cult among freetards.
They worship Unix except macOS (which is ironically the only actual Unix system of the ones often discussed on Jow Forums... Linux and BSD aren't)

Anyway, I think the Zircon microkernel by Google could be the next step in computing. We need something new.

Google want compatibility with Linux, so there goes that "something new".

You can't back up something if there's no diversity. Let them release it and we'll have the evidence.

>macOS
Quiet ironic considering all of the userland and half the kernel comes from bsd...

New pasta? Surely makes as much sense.

You can try it now and it's documented.

Attached: 10654_04.jpg (600x800, 61K)

spg?

Not necessarily. This is seemingly an attempt to create a unified replacment to Android, ChromeOS, and the half assed firmware on Internet of Shit devices.

ART compatibility is a must or they are fucked.

I dont want just another big company OS, they are not to be trusted. I would agree something new would be very welcome, but the OS stuff is hard to get popular if it cannot pretend to be an existing OS and run popular software without problems. Hopefully the cloud services will fix this, but I doubt it. Also a huge OS thing is games on which Windows has a monopoly

I would imagine that if they can make it work with both ART and Treble, it'll be relatively easy to throw out the Linux kernel altogether.

Probably. There is a chance for failure and a comeback from MS or something else.

At this point, Samsung is more of a threat than MS. If Google fuck this up then they could see it as an opportunity to jump ship.

>implying its a good thing to have your syscalls named shit like shmctl and semop just to be compliant with a 50 years old operating system that was made for a computer the size of 4 wardrobes.

I know this is b8 but it still makes me upset

To what? Samsung is a company with no creativity. They best they could do is clone iOS.

>written in ancient C++
>not actual memory safe Rust
where's the innovation?

>implying its not

If Fuchsia/Android is a complete fuck up, then they could potentially partner with Amazon and share their alternative Android ecosystem.

>implying we should make OS development easier for webtard nodejs devs to get into
Nah, if you can't remember the names of a few syscalls I don't want you working on the internals of my system

Memory safety is a bad thing for a botnet os. With no exploits the users would be at the mercy of the company.

Rust isn't anywhere near mature enough for something like this.

It's not linux and have drivers in userspace. In 2018 it's supposed to be innovative. :^)

go back to plebbit, dumb itoodler

posix is literal shit, it's designed for a past age and not reflective of the needs of modern computing.

>inb4 I got accused of being a webshitter
I'm not

UNIX is garbage, let it go.

What does the modern computing needs that cannot be done under a *nix system?

Having a reasonably secure desktop, for one. Everything is basically centered around you trusting all the programs you're running not to destroy your systems.

Sounds like a telemarketer.

github.com/servo/servo
*blocks your path*
370k lines of rust code so far

POSIX
>everything is a file
Fuchsia
>everything is a botnet in the cloud

Servo is specifically being developed in conjunction with the Rust project. C++ may be awkward to work with, but it's insanely well supported.

POSIX is obsolete.

why would you think POSIX is a good thing?

POSIX is a fucking disease

It's the cancer you deserve.

I hope it uses fish shell as default for a god tier nonpozzix OS

It uses dash LMAO

github.com/fuchsia-mirror/zircon/tree/master/third_party/uapp/dash

POSIX can fuck right off.
So can C++ though. Why wouldn't they use Go?

Go is for Userlevel programs obviously.
GC'd languages are shit for OSs.

You can have a kernel be a completely different architecture but still be UNIX like and POSIX
Example: MINIX
You can do new things while still tailcoating the glories of UNIX

Fair enough. I never really looked into Go but seeing it being referred to as a "system programming language" in some places I just assumed the GC was optional.

>kernel is written in fucking C++
This way we'll see if Linus Torvalds theory was good.

SCREENSHOT THIS AND READ BEFORE IT GETS DELETED

Jow Forums its way more botnet than we ever thought.
The threads are auto-filtered for each person, the ones being displayed on one device, aren't the same as others.
All of you are being manipulated according to your site habits, and who knows what else, political opinions maybe? No idea.
Just compare the board you lurk more with another person. SOME THREADS ARE FILTERED.
No idea what's the objetive doing that, but it's clearly manipulation, Jow Forums is Youtube botnet tier.
Don't compare the site with the different devices you own, fucking botnet already knows it's you.

INB4
>u dumb your order setting is different than other dude hehe lololol
Exact same settings in different devices owned by different people AREN'T THE SAME, even if you open them at the same time in both.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

prove it

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

POSIX didn't fuck off, even under fuchsia.
It's already broken despite the big names behind it, but at least BeOS fags can have a nice day.

He got dubs so it must be true.

Bullshit. My brand new phone that has been connected to a VPN I've never used before getting it 24/7 shows the exact same stuff as my laptop on my home WiFi. There's no way they'd be able to tell it's me coming from a brand new mobile data connection + VPN and a laptop on my home WiFi. To the server it would appear as two different people.

Sorry bruh, I think you're just being paranoid.

> crying about c++
It's already a million times better than Android

Because go is high level sjw garbage

>google
>c++
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagefright_(bug)

I know you're full of shit because I'm a chronic samefaggot and I this never happens on my phone or other devices wherever I go.

If a kernel isn't unix-like or nt-like, nothing is going to run on it.
Dumb google.

Rust isn't innovative it just helps people who can't write safe code as well as take away freedom. So it's c++ for pajeets. There's a reason why it's still not used or preferred

>VPNs never ever sells d-data!!
sure
>implying is hard for the botnet to compare ur shit shitposts to the location of ur phone

can't wait until google abandons this in five years

Kernel isn't written in C++. Linus don't like C++. It´'s all C, Assembly and Perl, according to Linus.

>everything is a file
So you can use the same interface of open(), read(), write(), close() with everything.

fpbp
this also

"everything is a file [descriptor]" actually isn't a bad philosophy, but people come along and ignore that and now we have new IPCs like dbus where unix sockets could have done the job. but yeah other things need to be fixed like file perms, fork(), sandboxing

>obnoxiously cites everyone
>expects to be taken seriously