Linux Kernel 4.17rc3 is released!

Linus just announced Linux Kernel 4.17rc3!

Kernel 4.17 is code-named Fearless Coyote.

Announcement:
lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1804.3/05507.html

Attached: linux-4.17rc3.jpg (893x281, 73K)

anything new worth mentioning or what

>Linux Kernel 4.17rc3
>rc3
whatever, why should we give a fuck about fucking rc?
Make a thread each time linus merge something while you're at it.

So it was full of bugs all along then?

If you have a AMD APU like 2400G then it's got a pretty darn important bugfix since RC2.

...and I guess that's why I pay attention to kernel tree merges and releases right now. Normally I don't because things "just work". But the GNU/Linux support for the Ryzen 5 2400G is STILL lacking. It's a TOTAL SCANDAL. But things are improving...

Also.. Linus did hint that he may make 4.17 a 5.0 release in the 4.17rc1 announcement.

>If you have a AMD APU like 2400G then it's got a pretty darn important bugfix since RC2.
Make a thread like
>ITS HAPPENING
>INTEL KEKS ON SUICIDE WATCH ONCE AGAIN
>
>"quote of importance from the link"

No one has time to decipher whatever you want to say.

yeah but it's just a rc kernel release. it's not really happening

Don't post then...

you should be paying attention to every release, it's part of how you learn the internals and each component of the linux infrastructure. it's how you fucking niggers learn how to fix your own damn problems

Is intel power consumption fixed?

>Linux Kernel
Do you say "Firefox Browser", too?

Linus, fuck off.

how many "fixed ablest language" commits in this one?

We say Linux kernel to differentiate it from the Linux operating system :^)

Fuck off richard, in it system-D, not Linux or GNU/Linux.

>5.0 already
We Chrome now, give it a year and we'll be running Linux 23.x

I'm still using 4.4 convince me to upgrade

And that's a good thing.

Why?

Because then it's like Chrome

That's another reason they shouldn't do it

Different user here, I agree.

I can't user. There's literally no reason why you shouldn't still use the kernel provided to you by your distro

>4.4
Debian users.

Stable's on 4.9.0-6

So when will this rollout?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

3-5 weeks from now. rc3 is usually the first version you can expect not to have obvious glaring bugs in it and be generally in an usable state

Any nice new features coming with .17?

Attached: Humboldt.Penguin.(Kemono.Friends).full.2166087.jpg (858x924, 505K)

yes. MASSIVE battery life improvements for laptops

>These include one big-ticket item which is the rework of the idle loop in order to prevent CPUs from spending too much time in shallow idle states. It reduces idle power on some systems by 10% or more
Oh wow, Linux becomes better at doing nothing

Attached: smug satania.jpg (1280x720, 92K)