INNOVATION IN TECH!

youtube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM

Attached: Thermal pad for cpu. mind blown...jpg (1000x1387, 293K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9Yax8UNoM
hackaday.com/2018/03/07/hacking-balsa-to-make-it-stronger/
hackaday.com/2012/03/20/print-your-own-supercaps/
mouser.com/Search/m_Search.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=148965109
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>saw this video yesterday
>go to buy some immediately

>not for sale or sold out

fuck, i want to get some before the jews shut it down

Same,
I mean it was destined to blow everything out of the water, and they don't even have the inventory to meet the customer demands .. ECH!.

Attached: Hitler-downfall-der-untergang-32193282-500-275.gif (500x275, 497K)

Pros:
>performs comparably to a decent thermal paste
>none of the goo-handling to worry about
>reusable
>long-lasting

Cons:
>careful touching the edges when it's hot
>small size may leave some of the CPU uncovered for bigger CPUs
>current lack of inventory

This looks like it (or something like it) could become the standard for CPU cooling interface material instead of thermal paste. The cons can at least be managed/worked around, so there's pretty much only pros to this.

>careful touching the edges when it's hot
why would ou touch it hot

>small size may leave some of the CPU uncovered for bigger CPUs

they will likely have more sizes to buy when its in production

>current lack of inventory
yeah they should have had linus just talk about it coming up before doing a full video on it

>why would you touch it hot
In case "you" are a dumbass/careless.

>they will likely have more sizes to buy when its in production
I would expect so, as well.

>yeah they should have had linus just talk about it coming up before doing a full video on it
He really got people hyped up about it, huh.

where my goo jews at

Too busy looking for their next jobs.

They are shouting at each other with arm gestures going all over the place.
Hook-nose-piercing their documents and fellow employees.
They are biting down on that gay fabric piece they carry on their head.

Attached: images (1).jpg (222x227, 11K)

Heatsinks and heatspreaders have microscopic valleys in them, which trap air pockets that slow down heat transfer.
You need a plastic substance to fill those.
Sure at first it might seem comparable but after prolonged use there will be a pretty significant difference.

according to linus, beta testers have claimed to have reused the same pad over 50 times with the same results

prolonged use in the same machine over long hours not reusing the pad you monkey.

No you're right anonymous shill, surely the beta testers and developer only tested it for 5 minute windows. they must bow down to your supreme intellect.`

fuck off goo jew

www.hooktube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM

>>small size may leave some of the CPU uncovered for bigger CPUs
Just put 2 of them

see

read my post again you dense motherfucker
jesus Jow Forums really does get more retarded after finals

I look forward to the testing of these. Couldn’t you fill those gaps if it’s slightly rubberized.

this pad covers the entire CPU heat spreader though which a dot/line of paste does not do, I'm sure you make up a lot more surface area by that than covering the microscopic valleys in the metal...

>CPU tampon
eww no thanks

>rubberized
that would kill the whole point, the pad is highly compacted carbon which allows the heat transfer to occur so well
it doesn't do jack shit about the air trapped between the pad and the heatsink, and the air between the pad and the heatspreader. They'll eventually "bottleneck" the heat transfer.
The pad will be comparable to high end paste but after a few hours of operation you'll start to see temps spike.
Are you people actually this retarded or are you memeing? You think the surfaces are perfectly flush with each other?

based
i only saw the title and i knew it was linus

the worst part about thermal paste is the degradation over time once applied, if this actually has a long life span I'm sold

>he still thinks that someone creating a product didnt test it out for long periods of time and under the worst conditions.

Face it, your days are numbered.

but they advertise it as being a hair warmer than paste
also, this has like 10x better heat transfer than paste
and there's no reason for it to randomly spike temperatures
you're an idiot and have no idea what you're talking about

pretty sure newer formulations like that noctua paste last at least 5 years, after which you'd want to open your case up for cleaning anyway

They clearly didn't, they don't even mention the issue.

Do you have proof of that happening if you use something like this?

Guys the solution is clearly to put paste between the cpu and this pad, and between the pad and the cooler

yes, it's called physics. graduate high school little user and you'll learn too
that would literally be no different than just using paste.

you do realise that the pad is slightly textured and clearly wont trap air.

you do realize that not only will that do nothing to fill the valleys unless the texturing is perfectly aligned with both the heatsink and heatspreader.

> that would literally be no different than just using paste.
it will improve the heat transfer between the paste and the paste

I'm just reminding everybody, utilizing graphite as a cheap substitute was LITERALLY what let to the Chernobyl accident.

that's not how heat transfer works user

Where they failed, we will succeed.

Guys, imagine a cooler, made out entirely of carbon.

Why graphite?

Because is a relative cheap alternative to paste. There's other ways, some much better, but it makes sence that graphite is being tried at it is a know and already mass produce substance.

calculating this in my head, it's 10x better than Aluminium, 6x better than Copper, and 4x better than Silver.

It doesn't really matter that there is less contact area for the pad, It's pretty clear the excellent thermal conductivity makes up for any loss. I don't understand, they showed it had comparable temperatures to paste why can't you just accept the facts.

what material do we need to use to connect the paste to the carbon to the paste again?

Do they have these pads in TO-220 size? I want to get better thermal transfer between the power MOSFETs and the heatsink in the flyback converter I'm designing.

He recently invested in icy diamond paste stocks

Chernobyl gave us S.T.A.L.K.E.R, those pads will give us D.E.L.I.D

It probably covers the gaps between the heat spreader and the cooler the best.
That is the real difficulty here.

I would like to see someone compare this to a thin sheet of silver or gold.

How's that an innovation if I was buying thermal pads from Chinks and better ones from a local store for years now?

Sub micron diamond powder.

>"we sold out immediately, sir!"
>"make more... but raise the prices."
>"but sir!"
>"DO IT"

Attached: dims.jpg (600x392, 152K)

Is repasting that much of an issue for mongoloid gaymurs?

>>small size may leave some of the CPU uncovered for bigger CPUs
Probably i should use 2B pencils on the edges. :^)

why aren't thermal pads built into radiators?

What is the price?

Perhaps to give people options instead of forcing them to use one solution.

Gave me a hearty chuckle

Attached: 1524348832140-v.gif (297x212, 473K)

>
>>why would you touch it hot
>In case "you" are a dumbass/careless.
I imagine it heats up and cools down very fast by design. You likely won't have to worry about it burning you unless you do something stupid like what Linus did by putting a torch on it.

If you had it in a running computer, it would probably already have cooled to your heatsink temperature before you even started to take the heatsink off.

But if they're solid, why are they better than just using the cooler raw? I thought the ENTIRE purpose of the paste was to fill all the microscopic gaps. Yet the argument here is "oh, it doesn't matter if it doesn't fill the gaps, it has better heat transfer than paste". Wouldn't a lack of an intermediate layer have even better heat transfer?

That's what everybody is saying ITT user.
These retards are selling pencil lead at probably 50 bucks a pop and mongoloid gaymurs are going to buy it in droves

I'm convinced only absolute retards do it. I think someone in the industry decided to spread misinfo about thermal compound becoming worthless after 6 months or so in order to sell more of it.
Its true that some compounds will dry and lose efficacy over time, but that window is huge, and the decay isn't readily apparent. We're talking a few degrees over a span longer than 3 years.
Every once in a while I'll see a forum post akin to spring cleaning where these morons talk about reapplying thermal compound as if their current application is completely worthless.
Oh well. It keeps the market afloat.

what if you use both paste and a pad?

Does it come with a giant spoiler?

The cooling is worse. I demand performance and I'm not scared of squirting grey goo onto my CPU.

Is that Alex guy a kraut?

But apparently server test showed it worked. I'm not saying it works well or anything, but unless those guys blatantly lied (which sounds like it would be illegal under false advertising laws, no?) that means it at least works SOMEWHAT. Certainly if it didn't work any better than raw, then either the results would be very notably worse than paste or nobody would be using paste.

I didn't watch the video or read any articles though so all I know is from hearsay by reading this thread, so correct me if I'm misunderstanding something

You're late to that party

>the jews are already in this thread trying to S.I.D

Liquid metal still performs better.

>liquid metal
So then murcury?

It'll be comparable to paste until the air pockets heat up, expand and bottleneck the heat transfer

It not black and white, the graphite pad has a lot more deformation than solid metal and clearly does a good job at transferring the heat. That said it's never going to give you the same surface contact that a paste or liquid would so don't expect it to ever beat out liquid metal or plain old solder. The real advantage is the ease of use and reuse.

Aluminum is a better heat conductor than (regular) carbon.

(diamonds or graphene would conduct better though)

see

Use on a CPU is still out for discussion until the product can get in the hands of the general public.

From looking at another product, this one uses graphite fibers embedded in a silicone based material, it looks absolutely fantastic as a thermal pad for VRMs or VRAM chips. I'd definitely buy it for hardcore cooling mods for a GPU or a motherboard VRM.
My mind goes to more extreme (autism) levels of padding RAM chips and then applying the heat spreader to pump out 1.9v on low airflow DDR3.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9Yax8UNoM

forgot image

Attached: 1510660334436.png (914x902, 206K)

That's capitalism for ya.
>muh "whatever the market will bear"

hackaday.com/2018/03/07/hacking-balsa-to-make-it-stronger/
hackaday.com/2012/03/20/print-your-own-supercaps/

links?

why is this guy so fucking gay?

I imagine it has some malleability that allows it to fill those gaps, yet not as well as a good paste

*mounts you dry*
ha ha just kidding bro no homo xd
im married so i cant be gay :D

could be great for cooling vrms and stuff

yo hold up
if graphite is such a good thermal conductor
why dont we have graphite based pastes/ just sprinkle some on there and spread it around

god damn im smart

> 2010 meme

why not just make the top of the CPU in this material?

*hits blunt*

mouser.com/Search/m_Search.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=148965109

Here you go!

not the grey goo you'll doom us all

fake. not the same brand or item

Does the same shit, it's from Panasonics website

Wonder how this compares to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

The amount of graphite needed to make something that dense would be rather expensive.

>> 2010 meme
it is not a meme faggot

they can just use diamonds lol

It's likely the same thing but not marketed towards consumers

or 24K gold

>want to buy
Way too fucking small for anything serious, let alone a Threadripper

Attached: 1516566923674.jpg (1808x1204, 692K)

So thought part of the use of pastes and the like was to fill in the gaps between CPU heatsink? Is this thing soft at all?

If the company was smart they'd have versions that would match specific CPU IHS dimensions.

>Foundry caps die
>deposits several layers of cubic boron arsenide until it builds up
>creates a crystalline heat sink directly integrated into the package
>100w passively cooled chips that you can just drop in the socket and turn on without any fuss

Carbon is pleb tier