strawpoll.me/15610163
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Lubuntu Minimal uses more RAM than normal Lubuntu

fucking kek

Anyway, KDE is shit

>checks out
wtf

How did Ubuntu fuck it up.
Also somehow Ubuntu Budgie Minimal uses like 200 mb RAM more than Solus Budgie on my machine.

wtf happened to ubuntu?
mate, xfce and lxde eats half of it in 16.04

Lubuntu ftw..

How the fuck is Kubuntu lighter than Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu now?
KDE devs are some wizards.

I've used xubuntu 17.10 (that bricked my bios tho) and it used only 300 megs.
OpenSUSE with KDE on the same machine consumes like 350 megs with much nicer DE.

All's this really shows is that gnome is horseshit, but we already knew that. xfce is xtra comfy as always.

KDE+Qt devs have been doing a lot of work
Also GTK3 has almost doubled in size since 16.04

the mate thing has nothing to do with ubuntu
the meme desktop consumes more ram than kde

My Xfce Debain install uses much less RAM, however, it doesn't come with some of the features and conveniences.

Eh. Idk. Going to have 16gb of RAM pretty soon and a 2700x. I'm not too worried.

Wish there was a good Ryzen-compatible 32Gb kit with good timings and speed.

good data comp
thx

Xubuntu is known for being shit. This has nothing to do with XFCE.

>Later testing showed that Xubuntu was at a disadvantage compared to Debian equipped with the Xfce desktop. Tests were conducted by DistroWatch on a Dell Dimension 4500 desktop machine, with an Intel 2 GHz processor and 384 MB of memory in April 2009, that compared Xubuntu 9.04 against an Xfce desktop version of Debian 5.0.1. These showed that Xubuntu used more than twice the RAM as Debian in simple tasks. Xubuntu also ran out of RAM doing everyday tasks, indicating that 384 MB of RAM was inadequate. The review concluded "It was obvious I had already run out of RAM and was starting to use swap space. Considering I wasn't doing very much, this was rather disappointing".[12] Subsequent experimentation by Distrowatch concluded that the performance advantages observed in Debian were due to Xubuntu's inclusion of memory-hungry software not present in Debian's implementation of Xfce.[13]

>Testing conducted on a later version, Xubuntu 9.10 beta, in September 2009 showed similar results. The tests, conducted by Linux Magazine, concluded that Xubuntu 9.10 beta's RAM usage was actually greater than Ubuntu's 9.10 beta with GNOME.[14]

>Xubuntu 9.10 beta's RAM usage was actually greater than Ubuntu's 9.10 beta with GNOME.
>RAM usage was actually greater than Ubuntu's 9.10 beta with GNOME.
>greater than Ubuntu's 9.10 beta with GNOME.
>Ubuntu's 9.10 beta with GNOME.
>with GNOME.

Attached: 1395128913820.png (243x200, 70K)

There is though...
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232218
I use the 64GB kit (2 more sticks of the same RAM) just fine with a 1700.
It's b-die and you'll pay b-die prices for it - but it's not gaymer aesthetic prices or RGB shit.

All that graph proves is that KDE is the shit. Xfce comes in a close second.

I'm gonna install KDE right now.

The linux kernel caches and preloads stuff in RAM even if nothing is using it. Just looking at used memory can be misleading.

GUI system monitors generally don't show that RAM as used.

- same kernel
- right after boot figures
>bbbut it's not GTK that is pushing up memory use, no no, it's kernel caching, that's it!
GTK apologists are in the house.

On a fresh install of neon, I've seen my RAM usage as low as 300MB. KDE devs are using some kind of wizardry for sure.

Unused ram is wasted ram

>not using Bodhi

kde is just feature bloat crap, i wouldnt care if kde only used 50mb, it's shit

t. Gnome dev

holy shit how much ram do you guys have?
if I was actually strapped for ram I would run lxqt, but since I'm not poor I almost exclusively use gnome, even on old thinkpads.

gnome is even worse than kde

>Has more features
>uses less resources
>is apparently bloat

KDE is like an athletic, fit individual - for a small footprint in can sure do a lot.
GNOME is like a purple haired landwhale, it's HUGE but can't do much at all, it's pretty slow too.

I wonder what the developers of each environment look like...

>has more useless features that i dont need
ftfy

Is Xubuntu the worst Ubuntu distro?
strawpoll.me/15610163

GNOME A SHIT
N
O
M
E

A

S
H
I
T

just because it is useless for you doesn't mean it's useless for everyone

Have you fixed your BIOS?

yes it does

I'm back.

It feels slow. Open the file manager in KDE and in Xfce, there's a noticeable difference even if you set animation speed to instantaneous.
Still faster than Windows.

Voted no only because deepin exists

Gnome sounds perfect for you. No features equals no features you wouldn't want.

i dont use DEs meant for a tablet

Yeah, these KDE kweers who act as though they deserve a medal for using a particular DE, definitely need to be rounded up and gassed. Their relentless shitposting has become tiresome.Nobody cares, you retards. We use what we like and we won't change because some idiot who masturbates to cartoon dragons says we should.

KDE has been removing features left and right

I think since 16.04 you can't even make the power button shut down the PC

Explain.

Good thing it's not.

>gnome
>not meant for tablets
lmao

Good man

No, you use a DE meant for a phone.

Attached: faggot.png (635x865, 578K)

and dont forget about the screentearing

Underrated post

Well it works perfectly fine for my desktop.

maybe your desktop is actually a tablet

Show me a tablet with a FX-8350.

I don't know man, you sure about that? There were quite a few discussions on reddit about all of Gnomes problems. They've like, universally agreed to protest it's existence.

It's m

ubuntu is a fucking joke and the idiots who manage those forks left and right are a fucking joke.

I have somewhat loaded xfce with several daemons loaded from cinammon and have yakuake and what not, and I am still at 420MB of ram.
How the fuck do they manage to get 515 on xfce is beyond me.
The only thing that this pic shows is that the kubuntu team is doing a decent job.
Even mate should've been below xubuntu and kubuntu.
Stop making linux based windows(r) threads.

It's the most stable DE in existence. KDE is even more unstable than GNOME.

It's useless without "ps au x" output.

This. I just fucking love how lightweight it is. And it can be made to look pretty nice too.

Attached: lubuntu.jpg (1100x3450, 722K)

a.u.x is spam? since when?
they supposed to use lxqt now

>Lubuntu tweaked
>looks worse

>tweaking perfection
No

>installs Numix icons
>GUYS LOOK I'M TWEAKING!

What's wrong with Gnome?
Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Gnome!

No they aren't. Plasma 5 is nearly feature complete, now it's time to fix bugs and improve things like memory footprint.

webkitgtk? Gtk3? whatever

It's designed for modern computers where caring about literal megabytes is less of a concern than user experience.

no need to worry about memory leaks, just download more ram

wtf even is lubuntu minimal. and kde minimal. ive never seen separate minimal isos for lubuntu or kubuntu. is this new

xfce=xtra fucking comfy edition

it's just an option in the regular iso, gives you a web/file browser and some other basic stuff. xubuntu doesn't have it.

Yeah most buntu's have option for minimal install in installer now (less programs installed)

lxde is vastly more stable than xfce. less ram use and a better file manager too

kwin/plasmashell do have memory leaks, though

pcmanfm is a bit buggy tho
sometimes crashes when you refresh a directory furiously
or right after copying a large amount of data (the copy is OK tho) - so I use Thunar or just bash for serious copying
otherwise I like it a lot, could have more keyboard shortcuts tho

How, in what way is XFCE unstable? I've literally never encountered a crash in xfce before.

Yes. The flash bios capability wasn't broken.
But I was ready to buy a programmer or figure out how can I make my own.

>more stable
>than a DE which doesn't even have stability issues
Impossible. And lxde is abandoned in favor of lxqt, not to mention it has less features and a worse UX.

GTK3

Just use Windows, seriously. If it's difficult to determine which Linux DE is stable it's time to drop Linux.

>they supposed to use lxqt now
only in lubuntu-next
the main version is still lxde

It meant only to illustrate that you can change the look according to your taste, because many people complain that Lubuntu is "ugly".

>perfection
I think the default look has too low contrast.

They have removed a bunch of features on the initial switch to Plasma 5 to make the backend cleanup easier. They'vre been gradually reintroducing them though.

The only thing I use Gnome on is a tablet. It's a horrible shitty DE on a normal laptop or desktop since the mouse is a very precise pointing device and the UI needlessly wastes space in that scenario. But I run Ubuntu with Gnome on a Microsoft Surface Pro and it's great. Everything works for me except the pen thing and I can control everything with my fingers. The thick blocky UI of Gnome is pretty handy when I'm using the touch screen, and makes it easier to have a full desktop experience on a tablet.

How can lagdroids and itoys even compete?

Attached: 1395826129890.png (1680x2392, 158K)

wasted ran is not usd rab

Attached: 1525138426204.jpg (720x736, 94K)

Some linux status bars don't show memory usage anymore because they felt it was misleading to users.

When you install it asks if you want all packages like open office etc. Or a minimal. They shouldn't really use a different amount of RAM

Can anyone advise which DE I should go for on my C2D/4GB laptop? I'm currently on stock Ubuntu 17.10.

Fucking GROSS

shut your whore mouth!

I fucking despise numix and I'm glad no one uses that pajeet garbage anymore
that being said KDE is fantastic

Attached: Screenshot_20180426_202322.png (1366x768, 1.38M)

KDE is very very updated. Xfce never gets updates/fixes.

I've tried KDE every year for 6 years now and always go back to xfce.
Save me from this tearing nvidia proprietary hell.

What about this year?

Will try it in Summer.

xfce on my raspberry pi uses 70mb ram

fpbp

ive use gnome and kde on machines with the same specs with no problems. if youre still interested with lightweight DE you could try:

fedora 28 lxqt (lubuntu-next sucks)
or lumina desktop
or trinity de
or bohdi/e17
or regular enlightenment wayland session
or sway

and if the creeping gtk3 shit doesnt bother you could always do plain lxde/xfce

for potato you could go with fluxbox or jwm

>using a de
WTF?

---
posted from xlinks2 on i3

Wrong.

newsflash
everything with ubuntu uses more ram

also
distro =/= de
applies ESPECIALLY for ubuntu/debian shit

/!\ REMINDER /!\

TO SAVE (ABOUT 250MB OF) RAM

ENABLE AUTO LOGIN IN GNOME

/!\ REMINDER /!\

Jesus fuck, do people actually use that shit? How do you tile?

mod left/right arrow >_>

GNOME, what the hell are you doing?

Attached: 1489248925418.png (768x480, 265K)