AES or RSA encryption?

I want to store information online that I only I have access to. Roughly a page or two of text, which of these encryptions are best or does it matter?

Attached: 1466564748147.jpg (657x527, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tutonics.com/2012/11/gpg-encryption-guide-part-4-symmetric.html
latacora.singles/2018/04/03/cryptographic-right-answers.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GUQUD3IMbb4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biclique_attack
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPG
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just use a one time pad with XOR

AES, because hardware acceleration

just use gpg in symmetric mode

Can I do this with the built in stuff with Tails? I'm use to just encrypting a plain text with public keys and as far as I know it was secure enough, but apparently its not the absolute best. idk

>to just encrypting a plain text with public keys
wtf?

gpg -c --cipher-algo AES256 file
or gpg --armor -c --cipher-algo AES256 file
if you want it in ascii as a simple text file

then you just gpg -d file and enter the passphrase you choose to get it back

Sorry man I'm a brainlet with this stuff. I mean I'm using whatever encryption method is built into Tails which is gpg. I guess idk if that is AES or RSA?

m8, AES and RSA are used for completely different things.
there is a thread for these kinds of questions,

AES, it's far faster than RSA. If it's just for you, it's the best option.

SHA3-256. Just remember to delete your plain-text info right after to make sure no one else has it.

no worries mate
the default symmetric cipher uses AES128 but like I've suggested in my previous post, use : --cipher-algo AES256

tutonics.com/2012/11/gpg-encryption-guide-part-4-symmetric.html

seems like it's still not in gpg ?

one time pad is proven unbreakable
I see no reason to not use it since you will keep the key on you.
Also its easy as fuck to do.

Could the people suggesting other solutions explains why not use a OTP?

mainly ease of use, not familliar with tails and not sure he has something like onetime already installed while gpg is pretty common everywhere

and if it's just some text he would like to store with peace of mind
>gpg -c file
then
>gpg -d file.gpg
seems to me the most straight forward and nobrainer automatic thing to do
no hurdles looking for .pad files, keeping them somewhere etc.. just a simple password to remember

I was thinking of doing it with a custom made program to xor binary.
But yeah in the end whatever is more straightforward for OP

Also, reminded me of this blog about cryptostuff
latacora.singles/2018/04/03/cryptographic-right-answers.html

ecliptical curves

>the default symmetric cipher uses AES128 but like I've suggested in my previous post, use : --cipher-algo AES256

That's because AES256 is for marketing purposes. AES128 is just as "unbreakable". Pretty useless change.

notepad32.exe

Reasons why noone has decoded number station transmissions yet, even when recordings have existed for over 30 years.

youtube.com/watch?v=GUQUD3IMbb4

Attached: D851631A-7FA9-42DF-BBD0-BF60A2B3405F.png (293x270, 41K)

It's only 2 pages of text. The difference in speed between AES and RSA is negligible, even with hardware acceleration

>A 128-bit key would be great except for one problem: collision attacks. Time and time again, we find systems that can be attacked--at least theoretically, if not practically--by a birthday attack or a man-in-the-middle-attack. We know these attacks exist. Sometimes designers just ignore them, and sometimes they think they are safe, but somebody finds a new, clever way of using them. Most block ciphers modes allow meet-in-the-middle attacks of some form. We've had enough of this race, so here is our recomendation: use 256-bit keys!
>Following this recomendation makes any type of collision attack useless.
>We are not saying 128-bit keys are insecure per se; we are saying that 256-bit keys provide a better safety margin.

>Rijmen and Daemen get paid by the bit

Collision attacks are against pseudo-random functions (hashes), not block ciphers like AES.

The reason people go for 256 is that some vulnerabilities can reduce the number of effective bits, so it's a margin of safety.

Why not use SHA-512?
It's actually faster than 256 on 64bit systems.

That was from "Chap. 3 Block Ciphers" Section 3.5.7 "What Key Size Should I Use" (right after section 3.5.6 "Which Block Cipher Should I Choose") of Cryptography Engineering Design Principles and Practical Applications by Niels Ferguson Bruce Schneier and Tadayoshi Kohno

I think he's refering to this. It says it works against both hashes and block ciphers.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biclique_attack

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPG