/pg/ - Privacy General

The purpose of this thread is to educate others on why privacy is important and how to effectively protect yours.

>Why should I care about privacy?
whyprivacymatters.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=V9_PjdU3Mpo
youtube.com/watch?v=pcSlowAhvUk
youtube.com/watch?v=ucRWyGKBVzo

>Basic tips
Use a search engine that doesn't track you, like startpage or duckduckgo, ditch google completely
Use strong, 20+ characters passwords on every website, and don't ever reuse the same password
Use browsers like firefox and enable built in tracking protection
Block third-party cookies
Install Https Everywhere for securing your connections (eff.org/https-everywhere)
Install Privacy Badger to block trackers (eff.org/privacybadger)

>Getting started on it
ssd.eff.org/module-categories/basics
ssd.eff.org/en/module/assessing-your-risks
spreadprivacy.com/device-privacy-protection/
techcrunch.com/2018/04/14/how-to-save-your-privacy-from-the-internets-clutches/

>More tools
privacytools.io/

>Where can I follow news about privacy and security?
twitter.com/eff
twitter.com/duckduckgo
twitter.com/Snowden
spreadprivacy.com/
reddit.com/r/privacy
eff.org/issues/privacy

>Tip of the day
Always prefer open source software than closed source ones, that way anyone can easily verify that the code is trustworthy and doesn't contain any backdoors.

"Do not trust, veirfy."

>Further reading
youtube.com/watch?v=M3mQu9YQesk

Feel free to ask any question about anything related to privacy and security, even if you think it sounds stupid. This is a complex topic and will to learn about it will be highly appreciated!

Attached: american surveillance.png (500x350, 315K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidauthority.com/lastpass-vs-1password-vs-enpass-792139/
botnettools.io/
youtu.be/pcSlowAhvUk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Repost with a few more links because the first time i tried to post it, I couldn't upload an image

suggestions for a password tool?

Attached: Emma-Watson-Feet-1257557.jpg (1280x1920, 374K)

KeePassX is the best one in terms of security, since its fully open source and is store on your device, but if you're like me and need your passwords synced on a lot of devices, I would suggest lastpass or 1password, you can still use KeePassX, it will just be harder to keep it synced on muiltiple devices

Related article
androidauthority.com/lastpass-vs-1password-vs-enpass-792139/

"KeepassXC" is the version that's actively being developed and improved, and it's the recommended one. Just "KeepassX" is outdated.

I prefer using Keepass, but if you're asking on behalf of someone else: Tools with browser-integration and automatic autofill are obviously more convenient, for those "Bitwarden" is usually recommended due to being open source.

Ive got nothing to hide.

Why would a simple program that stores encrypted strings need to be constantly updated and maintained to the latest and greatest quality standards?

> kikepage or cuckcuckgo
botnet
> firecuck
botnet
> botnettools.io/
Yeah goy buy our """VPN"""
> Twitter, reddit etc not blocked on router level
> Always prefer open source software than closed source ones, that way anyone can easily verify that the code is trustworthy and doesn't contain any backdoors
> easily verify
Yeah no shit dude, why don't you go verify there is no backdoors or """accidental""" overflows in systemd. Open sores in general is pure fucking joke from privacy POV because to verify something you need to study it's codebase which is stupidly bloated nowadays(on the bright side you can atleast study how it works). There's stuff like suckless, openbsd, (plan9?) and other minimal software those are somewhat verifiable, but you won't anyway.

Just rename it into larp general faggot, you didn't provide even single bit of useful information.
If you want privacy you block shit like Amazon, Google, MS on router level, you buy vps with fake personal info and host your own VPN/proxy whatever, you don't use search engine or atleast use searx, if you need mail you host your own and use gpg, if site requires registration you leave site immediately, obviously your browser should not support js or if you're too pussy use shit that icecat's using, you need to do something with dns and something to emulate normalfag activity, you don't hide at the empty field. I'm too lazy to continue.

Recommendation on search engine. I also hate firecucks botnet and block my shit on router level too, also just got it hooked up to TOR.

> you don't use search engine or atleast use searx
I can't 100% sure say that it's not a botnet, but it's the most legit looking of them all.

Is there any list of IP addresses that we should block on router level that are used to suck our data?

Retard here. Does IRC record anything else besides your ip and username? If I had dynamic ip and changed my username, they would have no way to tell that I'm the same person right?

So long your client doesn't leak private info (OS, CPU, version…).
Just block DCC.

I used mIRC. Does it leak anything?

Like a whore's cunt after a gangbang.

Attached: dasd.png (228x221, 7K)

composition book, unencrypted text file or email in your email account.
>inb4 paranoia
dont tell me all and every single one of your accounts is important, theres no fucking way. all you need is a single important account and pretty sure you can memorise the password for that one.

Read the first section of the thread, especially this video
youtu.be/pcSlowAhvUk

I've been mostly using LastPass due to its various integrations, android app and synchronization, but if I could have my stuff stored on keepassx and somehow sync them between my pcs and my phone, I'll take a look at bitwarden, thanks

No software is perfect, its only a matter of time before some cracks the protocols considered secure today

>password tool
your fucking brain, if you don't have it, use pencil and paper.

>claiming botnet without any source or comment
k
>open source
True, you would need to understand its code to verify, not denying it, but it is still to better to have this option to begin with than having to blindly trust closed source software

>didn't provide even single bit of useful information
I listed videos explaining why privacy is important, I gave single tips to help you protect your privacy, offered alterative sources for news about privacy, and said anyone could ask anything, as well as recommend other softwares and new tools, that was the whole purpose of this thread
>blocking megacorps and hosting your own services
Not a viable option for the majority of users, let it be because of the need for their service or their lack of knowledge on how host them, I cited tools and procedures anyone could use easily, see the basic tips

>an open source browser made by a non profit is botnet
Imagine being this retarded

I'm not keen enough on this, my bad

Only advice I can offer is installing noscript or umatrix to prevent third party scripts to be loaded on your browser

>all you need is a single important account and pretty sure you can memorise the password for that one.
Thats exactly what a password manager does for you, you only have to remember one password to safely stored them all