/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: flt.png (657x507, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZF3qRFWkaTw
lmgtfy.com/?q=modprobe fatal module nvidia not found in lib
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is MPD pointless if I like to play unorganized files spread throughout my file systems?

Opinions on NixOS? Is it mature enough for use as a daily driver?

Attached: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (1183x1024, 88K)

What linux distro should I use?

Install gentoo

How do I create a GUI for Linux?

Yes, but I wouldn't say it's for beginners, and I don't think it ever can be until it's more mainstream.
The reason is because it modifies certain things that are typically taken for granted to be uniform among all distros, but not on NixOS. Like linker/library/binary paths.

So the main caveats with using it are:
1) Any 3rd party binary downloads won't work until you use a tool to modify the linker and library paths hardcoded into it (which is probably not that easy for everyone)
2) By default scripts MUST use something like "#!/usr/bin/env python" instead of "#!/usr/bin/python" (It's possible to tell NixOS you want it to maintain symlinks like /usr/bin/python but it doesn't set them up by default)
3) Typically if you're going to compile something yourself you'll actually need to involve nix. Usually the process is even easier, however the way to do it isn't usually documented because NixOS isn't that mainstream.

So that's why I say I don't think it'll ever be a user friendly distro until it's more popular. It has the _potential_ to be very easy to use, even when performing more advanced tasks like compiling 3rd party stuff, but how long it takes to get to that point isn't really up to the NixOS devs. The difficulty comes from the fact that most software doesn't take NixOS into account, and it could be confusing for new users because the instructions given on their page won't work on NixOS.

But if you're a reasonably experienced user, or even a new user who just doesn't need anything that isn't already in the repositories then it's a pretty great OS.

opensuse. leap, if you want german debian, tumbleweed if you want a rolling release.

Are SSH servers worth it?
If so, then how to setup an SSH server?

what exactly is this saying, in 'man install'
-D
create all leading components of DEST except the last, then copy SOURCE to DEST

Its workable with symlinks and some aliases but yeah pretty much. Or you can link your whole HDD into the lib dir but tell it not to auto update then have an alias that calls update && add

Jesus the Dolphin file browser is a heavy install on Arch. Maybe it's because my environment?

Is there a nice graphical file browser for Arch/Awesome WM that doesn't have so many additional dependencies?

anything for KDE will be heavy outside of KDE, because you end up pulling half of KDE along with it

as for What I Use(tm), spacefm-ng
if you're after something Qt, perhaps the pcmanfm qt port from lxqt?

Ok the net install is finished as I like it. My only problem now is that the window is off to the left slightly. How do I fix this?

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.65M)

please recommend me a good distro to use with KDE
not kubuntu

Nvm, fixed it

In i3 can I change a window's dimensions to fixed coordinates (and back to the original)?

What are you looking for in a distro?

Is there any reason I should be using hjkl instead of jkl;?

stable, up to date packages
not necessarily bleeding edge

Debian Sid

You're not atheists, right?
youtube.com/watch?v=ZF3qRFWkaTw

This level of comfy should be criminal.

Thanks for all your help and patience /fglt/

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.18M)

Install GuixSD.

I am using ubuntu at work and i see the 18lts was released. Can i directly update it from my 16.10 without having problems? i cant do a clean install because i have way too much shit installed to do it all over again also i am using lvm, will the installed support that?
and more so, is the update worth it?

Who will pray for the Linux atheists and their Gaylord leader trovalds?

Can I set my mousewheel to scroll faster?

Debian GNU/Linux
Do you know any programming?
Comfy when you have multiple machines. Check the Arch Wiki on how-to.

>It's supposed to screenshot the window I click after that hotkey

No, that's -u. -s is for interactively selecting the dimensions with your cursor, I think.

Is it possible to make a qutebrowser extension?

No -s is for selecting window. Turns out a solution was actually on the wiki for the exact thing I wanted. It said to use spawn_with_shell and to add a sleep 0.5 && I was wondering about mouse selection though.

t-thanks friendly linux friends, this thread truly is a great place to get friendly linux advice ;;;_;;;

Usually they're already set up and already running on your GNU/Linux box. Really handy to just have it running all the time, you never know when you want to remote in (only on the same network though of course, I wouldn't open my ssh ports to the web).

sudo apt update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

No. There is a God, and his name is Stallman.

Attached: stallman_.jpg (1366x768, 903K)

Why is resizing windows on Linux so bad? On Windows it's so smooth, but on Linux it sucks. Any way to improve it?

That is not what i asked. I know how to upgrade.

whats a "linuh", op?
your image a sht

Drivers suck. I've heard using the open source drivers (or using Wayland) makes the whole desktop more responsive and smooth.
Other than those options though (which really aren't options at all for a lot of us) I don't think there's anything you can do.

Holy shit. Something unbelievable just happened to me.

So I connected a printed in our office to our NAS. I was already tearing up because i knew the horrors that await me with linux and its piece of shit hardware support for pretty much anything usb and such, i already saw myself having to google obscure drivers and shit to get that pritner to work...
but then i inputed the ip adress of te printer into the printer manager ... AND IT INSTALLED AND WORKS
can you fucking believe this? an older printed that works out of the box on Linux? Am i living in a fucking bizzaro universe?
But it gets even better, i then tried to add this printer on my windows 10 notebook. As you know literally anything works on windows out of the box, you just plug in it and boom just werks. But it just couldnt add the printer. I tried may different manual drivers too and nothing. It just wont work.

Do you have any idea how insane this is? If i told this to anyone i know, they would think i've gone insane and have me commited. Holy fucking shit.

Attached: de.jpg (280x210, 20K)

>pcmanfm
Great suggestion. pcmanfm-qt had more dependencies though. What's the advantage of qt?

GNU/Linux has always had better hardware support than Windows for older hardware. We just have bad support for new hardware sometimes.

If by more dependencies you mean it looks like it's going to pull in more dependencies when you install it, then that's most likely because you just don't have Qt yet, but you already have GTK so you don't need to pull in as much new stuff for it.
Just a guess though.

>zenity

Alright how am I gonna fix this fatal error

Attached: 2018-04-30-172931_838x498_scrot.png (838x498, 16K)

yes. read the man page for i3-msg

Use a distro that actually value its user's time

I don't trust it to upgrade correctly, but you can make a LVM snapshot to roll back if it explodes

>2 seconds of searching
>1) Switch to text-only console (Ctrl+Alt+F1 or any to F6).
>2) Build driver modules for the current kernel (which just installed) sudo ./.run -K

Oh fuck i didnt even think of that. I use snapshosts for driver updates and shit but i can actually use it for the distro update too. How big the snapshot does have to be?

So I cleared out my thumbnails directory as it was getting huge, I usually just delete the directories then refresh which automatically re-creates them etc. I did that this time and refreshed and now thunar has stopped generating thumbnails altogether, and PCmanFM generates thumbnails but is not saving them to the filesystem directories except a few I have for videos, the directories are in the right location under .thumbnails in my home, both have the right permissions but I've made them 777 to make certain, some thumbnails do get saved to the directory e.g. videos and PDF's, but not the images, what the hell is going on?

Wow I didn't even notice there were 7 instances running. Gonna have to look at that a bit more.

As for what you have there, not sure what is supposed to be. Couldn't find those instructions from my searches unfortunately.

lmgtfy.com/?q=modprobe fatal module nvidia not found in lib

This is a FRIENDLY thread edgelord.

shit
>Upgrades from 16.04 LTS will not be enabled until a few days after the 18.04.1 release expected in late July.
so if i want to upgrade i will have to wait several months

where can I download debian sid?

Unfortunately I can't find what this driver is supposed to be. It seems like my graphics are working fine, it's just something that shows on screenfetch.
sudo find / -name "nvidia*"
There are lots of nvidia files but I found one at /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so, I ran the recommended command, and it says command not found. Without .run it's a seg fault.

Someone must know where PCmanFM now saves thumbnails, for some reason some video thumbnails have been saved to .thumbnails but nothing else, Thunar saves all thumbnails under the cache directory but PCmanFM nowhere, it just redraws thumbnails on every directory load.

Attached: 1524862605887.jpg (368x604, 64K)

>recommending Google

Attached: 1524427630130.png (659x603, 20K)

You install Debian Testing and then just change the repositories in source.list to the unstable ones.

wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

this:
I suggest you install just the minimal distro with the testing iso (base + maybe ssh server) to save time. You can install packages manually or using tasksel later.

nah I have a dx10 card that is basically unusable. yet my fx5200 has great support. the fug

If i create a snapshot of a system partition in LVM and then completely remove linux and install windows on it for example, can i later restore the previous linux system from the snapshot?

Using PNG for images like that should be criminal and you shot.

strace

>tfw got a free HP 830 G3 from work
>installs loonix super easy unlike the fucking around I had to do with my 7 year old one laptop
>only problem is bluetooth is uncooperative

feels good bros. Even a 1920x1080 screen is like a dream. I can live without bluetooth as well.

Attached: 1234567890-098765432.jpg (1025x858, 73K)

i want a linux laptop which runs off 2 AA batteries

Attached: aaaaa.jpg (500x303, 12K)

>accepting charity
you disgust me

It's Линyкc, not Линyх.
OP's translation is pronounced lee-noo-h

Jow Forumsuys, I just recently dual booting wangblows 10 with arch, but every time I reboot, grub would automatically start wangblows 10.

I've tried editing bootloader in wangblows with cdbedit but to no avail, I haven't installed os-probe in my arch, could that be the problem? Also I only use the 100mb EFI partition from windows as /boot and installed grub there, is this correct?

why

gimme an app that's like an endless paint.

One of those things where I can just keep scrolling downwards and there's always more space. And preferrably the eraser works by removing a stroke at a time instead of just whatever's under the eraser like in paint

If i don't select format next to the home partition i picked in the ubuntu isntaller will it not delete my data? i want to install the 18lts but i want to keep my /home

you know i hope microsoft develops pefect drm, it would really be a boon for linux

>Why
Do you mean the wangblows 10? It's for work, since my work place is exclusively using windows, and they also need the employee to use original shit. I got it from upgrading from a pirated 7.

If you mean why the boot partition is using the 100mb from wangblows, I thought I don't need to create new one, from reading the wikis and forum response

If that happens, I'll jump the ship and use full on linux, work can be damned, but on a serious note, what did I do wrong?

If I symbolically link a file/folder(and it's contents) to a cloud drive will the files be uploaded?

I know bit of c and cpp

but he didn't use png

no1cur

Is there a way to hide your ip address when using irc? I have a vps I would like to install an irc bouncer on, but my personal domain is pointed to the server and I don't want other irc users to be able to look up the domain.

Depends.

how does it depend?

vhost?

using inxi -G, it says
Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 driver: i915
display: server: x.org driver: intel

what does that mean? does it mean it's using the intel driver or not?

>driver: intel
>does it mean it's using the intel driver or not?

there are two parts that say driver there, friend

Looks like that could be a solution. Is it difficult to set up? The VPS is running Apache web server and nextcloud. My domain is from namecheap if that matters.

How to check if my PC hardware is compatible with newest Ubuntu 18.04 LTS?

Is running from USB enough or do I need to actually install it?

Also what is /fglt/'s choice? Budgie looks cool but I tried it like few weeks back on its own and it was very buggy.

Attached: file.png (2092x1360, 261K)

first of all, I'm 99% sure your hardware is compatible with ubuntu. This is not Windows which won't update on new processors or you get kek'd by the lack of drivers for older hardware you wish to keep
Second, I cannot think of a case where a live system wouldn't be enough.

why does
pkill nm-applet works but nohup nm-applet & doesn't?

Attached: 2018-05-01-124609_335x217_scrot.png (335x217, 20K)

Can't make my wacom pen and touch tablet to work in manjaro kde. I've installed kcm-wacomtablet which installed xf86-input-wacom, tablet detects fine, i can move cursor or set buttons, but pressing stylus to tablet surface doesn't work at all. Even xev doesn't detect anything.

Mypaint has an infinite canvas.

Uses a systemd service, baka.

so what should I do to make it work?
inb4 install runit

I just realise a wrote "Uses" instead of "Use".
Anyway, what I meant to say is that systemd has a bunch of flexibility in executing things before/after the various parts of a service.

>realise a
Fuck, a typo when I was pointing out my typo.
realise I*

looks like a snowflake

pcmanfm is the best fm [excluding dolphin]
gtk2 version