/Fedora 28/

The 2nd best distro behind CentOS is set to be released later today.
getfedora.org/

Attached: fedora_infinity_140x140.png (140x140, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

admin.fedoraproject.org/mirrormanager/mirrors/Fedora/28/x86_64
pubmirror1.math.uh.edu/fedora-buffet/fedora/linux/releases/28/Workstation/x86_64/iso/
fedoramagazine.org/announcing-fedora-28/
lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-December/205018.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's a weird way to spell Ubuntu

That is a weird way to spell amazon partner aka botnet.

Nice!

Attached: IMG_20180501_144845.jpg (640x640, 150K)

That's a weird way to reveal yourself as a fucking retard

so many updates
so few changes!

A quick, possibly incomplete guide to a somewhat minimal install:

Use the server image and select the minimal install only.
Reboot to command line and
edit (vi) /etc/dnf/dnf.conf and add install_weak_deps=false (+optional metadata_expire=1m)
sudo yum install gnome-shell gnome-terminal nautilus gnome-session-xsession (+optional gnome-tweak-tool)
sudo yum group install base-x
sudo systemctl enable gdm.service

You may also need (not sure if this is necessary once you enable gdm):
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target

I'm looking through my bash history and trying to reconstruct exactly what was needed. This should be pretty close. I know I also had to specifically install firmware for wireless.

What's the most "mainstream" distro besides Ubuntu?
I need the most standard one to run things in chroot that don't yet work on my main distro.

Nah, I don't trust distro that can't do a proper installer.
Just tried to install it on a thumb drive and it removed the kernel from my internal drive, substituting it with own GRUB shit.

Attached: 1524841455920.jpg (405x358, 23K)

Fedora 28 released! Get it now.

haha this

>What's the most "mainstream" distro besides Ubuntu?
Debian or something like fucking Zorin I guess.

Thanks.

The question for me is fedora or ubuntu
I want to do python dev using cuda,on one hand fedora has a nice handy python-lab version with some nice python tools but on the other hand installing my nvidia prop. driver to use cuda&cudnn is a pain in the ass, much easier on ubuntu/debian-based distros

>fedora
pic related

Attached: le fedora.jpg (1184x875, 185K)

Is this the best distro to run kde with?
KDE neon was too outdated

Just install the neon repos on a rolling release distro like Manjaro or something

>just werks

Why should I move from Ubuntu to Fedora?

>plethora
>fedora
like poetring

>gnome
and you don’t even need to use the server edition, each mirror has a netinstall ISO.

Fuck no.
Fedora is basically the Red Hat distro, and they are the company behind gnome whose business goal is to make all software drop compatibility with everything but Gnome.

>What's the most "mainstream" distro besides Ubuntu?
Arch

How does it feel to be a RedHat beta tester?

Nothing wrong with that, after all, GNOME is the standard Linux DE and also the best.

Linux mint.

Maybe the 3rd one after opensuse. But neon will get an update to 18.04 soon(tm).

I'm pretty sure I tried that when I was trying that minimal install, but only the server netinstall gives you the option for a minimal install. I could be mistaken.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-01 11-50-47.png (1157x268, 52K)

go here: admin.fedoraproject.org/mirrormanager/mirrors/Fedora/28/x86_64

when you go to a mirror, eg. pubmirror1.math.uh.edu/fedora-buffet/fedora/linux/releases/28/Workstation/x86_64/iso/

and you will see the workstation netinstall

>Oh god yes, I want a monopoly on the Linux desktop by the guys who brought us Pulseaudio, systemd and Gnome 3!

A linux with only one possible desktop environment is just a retarded Windows / MacOS.

>reddit spacing

Using new software on any distro makes you a beta tester for old enterprise shit.

not even him but do you know what reddit spacing is or are you just trying to fit in?

>No argument

wow you must be mad

I made this spacing just for you

I hope you like it

very very much

You're right, I tried the workstation netinstall in a vm.

I also just checked and it's the live workstation image that doesn't give the option for software selection.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-01 12-12-46.png (799x594, 126K)

>For the first time, we’re making it easy for users to enable certain third-party software sources, including proprietary Nvidia drivers.
fedoramagazine.org/announcing-fedora-28/

about fucking time. for me the latest kernels just don't get registered with the driver anymore on F27. might do a clean install.

>A linux with only one possible desktop environment
Sounds good to me, Linux only needs GNOME, the rest are just dead-weight

Daily reminder to ignore the standardfootfag.

hmm, so that means i can now easily install the drivers through the settings menu, just like on ubuntu?
thanks for letting me know

Ubuntu derivative. Might be prone to the same issues.

>Arch
I guess if I don't update it. But thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try Alpine first.

I guess this means rpmfusion is blessed by the project? Good, at least now I can try fedora without worrying about using unofficial repos. I know it’s common knowledge that rpmfusion has the same maintainers as fedora and everything, but I always wanted official confirmation.

>tfw still on fedora 26

pros
>best installer in the game
>latest kernel and free drivers
>wine-dev without installing a repo if you're THAT lazy
cons
>barren wasteland repos, have to build everything yourself but without the convenience of a ports system
>fucking gnome
>dnf is slow
>their kde packages are behind debian sid and arch fuck that

Attached: Screenshot_20180426_202322.png (1366x768, 1.38M)

What have you had to build?

retroarch, i3 when I used it, wmaker, compton, some of ubuntu MATE's stuff when I used mate, waterfox with the kde patches (debian has a repo and arch has a bin in the aur), etc etc etc
I used fedora for 3 years. It's a good OS and more stable in the long run over arch, but I think debian testing/sid is better than both overall, especially because debian's scalability means you can run the same OS on pretty much all your computers.

Started Fedora 22 live a few days ago just for fun. Not compareable to Fedora 26/27 at all. Things got much better within a few years, although 22 was already good back in the days.

Post Fetches

Attached: fetch.png (1920x964, 1.47M)

love it when fedora cucks don't know how to change their hostname in the installer kek

>VM that will connect to nothing
>Giving a shit about host name

>install fedora 24
>log in for the first time
>get nebulous errors
>they happen on every log in
>install another distro
>no problems at all
>want to give fedora another try some time later
>install fedora 27
>dnf replaced yum
>it updates package lists every fucking time
>the same error is still popping up every time i log in
what a great distro indeed

Attached: answer.png (1039x591, 830K)

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-01 21-04-07.png (1920x1080, 225K)

I upgraded from 27 to 28 now I can't boot into it unless I select Fedora 27 kernel 4.15 instead of Fedora 28 kernel 4.16 on the boot menu... can anyone help

where do you get debian unstable??

try regenerating the initramfs
dracut -f --regenerate-all
if that doesn't work, edit the GRUB line for 4.16 and remove "rhgb quiet" to see what's going on

bc its not canonical

get the normal debian then open sources.list in your least favorite text editor and change "main" to "testing"

it's apocryphal then?

testing != unstable btw
for unstable change to "sid"

>install fedora on computer
>it configures grub to ignore my debian partition
>it configures grub to recognize my windows partition
holy shit fedora sucks microshafts cock

debian for work
mint for home

or instead of sid i think you can type unstable

Debian for work, home, server, job, and fun

agreed but as far as mainatream goes i think mint is more popular then debian for home use

would recommend unstable or testing?

Sid is like rolling release, buster feels pretty shitty atm, just my opinion. There's a reason stable is one of the distros most recognized as being rock solid.

testing, because you can easily freeze it, wait a couple years, and have stable

not so easy with sid

Normies don't use linux at all. Mint is a meme. Debian is far and away the most used distro for non-corporate.

as the person who posted the fetch, ill recommend testing as thats what i use and thats what ubuntu is based on, packages have to spend a week in sid without causing issues to be able to be ported to testing, meaning its still a rolling release, just more stable and not as bleeding edge

>the automagic installer couldn't handle my special edge case
>this distro is stinky doo doo!
Install os-prober and rerun grub-mkconfig

This. edgefags should know better.

K cool. I'm on 27 but about to upgrade

testing will become the stable in the future right?

>recognizing a linux install on another partition is an edge case
wew lad

yes, but your sources.list should point at the release name and not just testing if you want that to happen on your system

Is it worth upgrading from 27 now?

Also, how long until 27 becomes EOL?

I am sorry to inform you that you are retarded. It has switched to dnf for quite some time ago.

Meh, sticking with superior German software engineering. At least they were smart enough to make a rolling distro and a distro with amazing three year support.
And yeah, it comes in one 'spin', with KDE, Gnome, XFCE and LXDE available from one install media.

>Is this the best distro to run kde with?
OpenSUSE ist die beste GNU/Linux Distribution mit KDE

yum is aliased to dnf.

GPuke

Are you referring to OpenSUSE?

Well, at least she is not a trap for sure.

Yep.

How is it for a desktop/battlestation distro? Does it work well with a dual boot? How about graphics drivers and PCI pass through? Crossover compatibility?

>no packages

Attached: 00062smug.png (357x343, 205K)

openSUSE is shit. Dont fall for the meme.

Ok, how's Clover OS with all the points I asked here

>How is it for a desktop
Pretty good I should say. Tumbleweed with KDE at least.
> Does it work well with a dual boot?
Haven't tried, but I guess it should work just fine. GRUB is responsible for this after all.
> How about graphics drivers and PCI pass through?
I've Haswell Intel GPU, so I've not tried it. PCI pass through is kernel stuff, so yeah, it should work on all distros. And drivers as well.
>Crossover compatibility?
Wine is not outdated, but not bleeding edge. Like 0.5-1 week delay or so.
Werks on mine machine.

just a small reminder to everyone that if you install fedora desktop edition your firewall by default has ports 1025 up to 65535 udp and tcp completely open.

if you upgrade the workstation setup will install by default and open your ports for you with no warning at all.

fedora is fucking retarded.

this is a troll right? gnome is retarded.

sudo ufw enable
gee that wasn't hard

if you look above your own head you might see the point.
The user has to be aware of the issue before being able to fix it. fedora doesn't have the decency even to tell the user, thats without even considering how fucking retarded thing it is to do.

is this for the latest fedora 28?
i'm running fedora 27 and nothing is listening on any tcp port

Thanks user

Stop lying and get back in your Ubuntu containment thread.

lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-December/205018.html

>and get back in your Ubuntu containment thread.
Sorry, I should have said get out of this thread.

wont let me post results but firewall-cmd --list-ports should show if its open or not. since workstation version of 21

I just installed Fedora 27 2 days ago fuck shit.

How safe is to upgrade? I'm used to Ubuntu breaking to shit.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-01_20-48-37.png (570x388, 64K)

if I leave them with testing, what would happen when buster is released?