Void project leader has disappeared

>The current project leader has disappeared. We have had no contact with him since the end of January, and no meaningful contact for well over a year.

>The problem is that we currently have no ability to manage some of Void’s central resources. In the past, they were managed exclusively by the former project leader.
voidlinux.eu/news/2018/05/serious-issues.html

R.I.P.

Attached: 1200px-Void_Linux_logo.svg.png (1200x989, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=9wlssakXPVU
voidlinux.eu/news/2018/04/my-little-void.html
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd
voidlinux.eu/news/2014/04/void-is-dead.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_e6BKJPnb5o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is what happens when you use a pointless little meme distro

a guy yesterday said that this is the best distro, better than gentoo.
Well, it is dead. Nobody fucks with gentoo

>project leader just disappears

the absolute state of horsefuckers

>Ian
>this
Redhat niggers are coming. Whoever is currently in charge of gentoo, they're next.

>project leader gets kidnapped/killed/runs to mexico

homer_disappeares.gif

>using the most autistic libc ever
>not dying
Well what the fuck did these guys expect? muslc is shit. Does fucking floating point math inside malloc() without saving/restoring FPU state. Programs complain and their only response is: put them yourself. What the fuck.

Meh. It's been going on since January. Haven't really noticed anything particularlu detrimental during that time

God damn it. I hope this is resolved. This is such a great distro.

How is glibc autistic? :^)

If you read the blogpost they haven't had substantial contact with the dude for over a year, the only problem is that they've left one guy in charge of some important things. Once they resolve the ownership issue, it'll be fine. The distro isn't dying, or anything.

i hope they stop using github

Void linux uses musl and glibc
Probably the only distro to offer both

shit, this ain't like mlp: friendship is magic!

hooktube.com/watch?v=9wlssakXPVU

first CentOS, now this. how is it that open source community projects keep having "ownership" issues? isn't the whole point that no one CAN own a community project?

>isn't the whole point that no one CAN own a community project
no, where did you get that idea?
anyway they can fork if nothing else

you mean disappear as in "doesn't respond emails and messages" or disappear as in "we searched and he's nowhere to find, probably became a crackhead and is living on the streets"

>distribution so minimalistic that the creator literally disappeared

maybe hes in a trip to the "other side" hehe

Developers are bloat.

i was under the impression that that was one of the main pros of GPLv2, as in, you can't have one sole owner/dictator because the community is free to make their own fork at any time. i'm not talking about the names or trademarks by the way, just the codebase itself.

The problem isn't about the code. I believe he's the only person with the passwords haha

Horsefuckers btfo

>first CentOS
what happened with CentOS?

my penis

Hope they reorganize soon.

It's the best distro I know.

he didn't own the project (as in the code per se), but he owned the github account, the website and the IRC channel.

This, it's 100% possible to have people waste their time and energy on something that never needed to be made in the first place. They could've fixed bugs in *actual* distributions instead of reinventing the wheel for the umpteenth time.

Agreed, gentoo could use more maintainers

systemd is a difficult bug to fix

They think about gitlab or some self hosting solution.

This is why you should only use distros backed by either companies or big communities, eg. Debian, Arch Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, CentOS and now since is free for personal use RHEL.

Stop using distros made by someone in his basements

Attached: 2-qlPNayT.jpg (1200x1800, 214K)

None of them offer LibreSSL by default.
Not to mention runit and optional MUSL.

Also XBPS-SRC is freaking great.

This isn’t good

Windows doesn't have this problem.

Windows has its own problems.

do they glow in the dark?

That was me. I can admit when I'm wrong. I cursed the whole project by saying it was better than gentoo. It was just supposed to be a bait thread title, but I guess blasphemy is not a joke. I'm thinking of installing gentoo to now to atone for my sins. Besides, it was void that ended up depreciated in the end.

>either companies or big communities
at that point just buy apple and put down the ricing

Why would they want to fix shitty distros?

You definitely need a big community so that there's lots of testers.

Loaded question aside, it would take less time to fix the problems in another distribution than it would be to start over and then be left with your own (probably worse) problems and have less people to handle it. All in the name of nothing since what you're working on has already been done better by someone else. These are autists trying to be hackers like in the movies. What they don't understand is how software development is actually a highly cooperative field and they are going to have to accept that they don't know it all and can't do it all or fall into obscurity like so many others.

They're a subset of CIA niggers, so yeah.

Good luck gaining enough influence and power in their cults to convince the old guard that they should support runit, libressl, and muscl. And you thought getting into private trackers was hard?

Lennart thinks he knows it all, and look where he ended up.

The (((Systemd))) CIA-NSAs killed (or arrested) him

Attached: systemd.png (600x400, 3K)

CIA niggers did it

Attached: cia.jpg (716x768, 79K)

> Probably the only distro to offer both

gentoo others both and uclibc on top

>the absolute state of horsefuckers

voidlinux.eu/news/2018/04/my-little-void.html

Attached: mylittlevoid.png (1920x1080, 75K)

>the absolute state of horsefuckers

_is_magic!

>Horsefuckers btfo

$ ponysay

Attached: $ponysay.png (792x532, 341K)

Did he killed himself like
(((pic related)))?

Attached: Aaron Swartz.png (566x443, 339K)

>runit
>new package manager
>all other packages are taken directly from upstream

Shouldn't you be lecturing debian in patching everything to hell or backporting drivers from newer kernels to work on their ancient versions duplicating thousands of hours of work

Attached: 1481746843394.png (400x389, 48K)

people srsly thinking lennart is behind it wtf

The only thing sadder than a paid shill is an unpaid shill. Void linux is on life support.

Attached: Lennart Poettering.jpg (2304x2304, 721K)

Yeah how about you get optimus working? That single act would do so much more for GNU/Linux than creating another distribution in which it won't work. But that's too difficult for you all and you would rather make a NEW package manager so software is even less compatible between distributions? More fragmentation with worse functionality because you don't have the users to test for bugs. Honestly, it's so fucking stupid to support this crap that I know you're a part of the project and are trying to justify to yourself, not me, why it's worth saving.

Kek so much for the next Arch

i mean it sure is little thats the whole point

Void Linux? More like void of maintainers

>the state of linux
LMAO JUST USE WINDOWS YOU RETARDED NIGGERS

The solution is to not use nvidia hardware or use windows

Attached: 1486842230750.jpg (1500x1500, 103K)

>blame the user instead of doing a better job
>the solution is not to support >50% of laptops with GPUs
Yeah, void is dead in the water and you are a fucking retard aspie.

It's time to show some love to other Distros without Systemd

as Alpine, Artix, Gentoo, Slackware, Parabola, Devuan, Archbang, etc

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd

Attached: alpine.jpg (400x400, 13K)

>use an operating system on a hardware configuration that the company doesn't support
>blame the operating system

>router os

>not using bumblebee

>use these systemd distros
what if i like to have a choice?

This is why open source development is a joke.

>don't support widespread technology
>argue with someone on Jow Forums why you're pet project isn't a waste of time

Go ahead and say whatever you want. We all know that this is a failed project with no talent to accomplish what other projects haven't done already. You're not fooling anyone but yourself.

I've used bumblebee and it's far from an ideal solution. There's no actual hotswitching between iGPU and dGPU. You need to explicitly say which GPU to use when running your application or always have the dGPU on, only able to switch to the iGPU by logging in and logging out. All problems that will be present on void because they would rather spend their time making a new package manager. It's been done dozens of times and there's lots of references to pull from unlike supporting optimus. It should come as no surprise to anyone that the "developers" are only doing the easy work instead of tackling problems that are going to be present in every distro (including void).

Artix & Archbang don't have systemd
yet they support AUR & Pacman if that's what you wanted

Attached: Archlinux-icon-crystal-64.svg.png (2000x2000, 137K)

Alpine PM is shit compared to void.

Doesn't Gentoo have a big community and documentation quality comparable to that of Arch?

wow what an amazing argument

>no surprise to anyone that the "developers" are only doing the easy work
I don't think you understand how supporting MUSL and compiling everything with LibreSSL works. Not to mention all the patches.

If you think Optimus is so important, go whine to one of your large and important companies, so they fix it.

Or, you know, write to Nvidia.

>>don't support widespread technology
>widespread technology in gaming laptops, while 90% of laptops just use intel iGPUs

>>argue with someone on Jow Forums why you're pet project isn't a waste of time
All of linux desktop development is a waste of time when windows and mac os just werk

>void damage control squad

Attached: stock-photo-two-beautiful-girls-laughing-and-pointing-at-camera-53857132.jpg (450x333, 47K)

hope dev is fine and not followed Ian path.

Gentoo FTW

Attached: gentooClover.png (174x148, 12K)

report him to doenetwork.org

For what it's worth I'm ditching void because of this. I just think yelling SHILLLL111!!! is a retarded way to make rebut a point

Seems like he fell into a void.

user, didnt you hear that he died?
voidlinux.eu/news/2014/04/void-is-dead.html

CIA niggers forcing Systemd?

>it would take less time to fix the problems in another distribution than it would be to start over and then be left with your own
that's a bullshit assumption that brainlets like to tout over and over again despite the piles of evidence to the contrary. New projects are started all the time, and often move quite fast, while old projects remain riddled with bugs and move slowly. This happens everywhere in the tech world, from startups vs large companies, to competition between open source projects. The only possible exception to this rule I can think of is openbsd, because they actually bother to proactively fix and prevent bugs more than any other OS out there.

>These are autists trying to be hackers like in the movies.
you mean like yourself?

>software development is actually a highly cooperative field
That's a very naive oversimplified view of the world. Programmers are lazy and self interested:
youtube.com/watch?v=_e6BKJPnb5o

>software development is actually a highly cooperative field
you mean Copy-Paste from Stack Overflow & Github?

>bother to proactively fix and prevent bugs more than any other OS out there.
and they so do by throwing out code with starting fresh frequently

>01.04
when will redditfucks stop it with their ebin fucking jokes

lmaoooooo

>The problem is that we currently have no ability to manage some of Void’s central resources. In the past, they were managed exclusively by the former project leader.

They don't have a contingency plan for something like this? Being a community-driven project, I'm sure they would have taken something like this into account should something unfortunate happen.

How is artix anyways. I hear even less about it than void but I've been interested in it as a second choice of sorts

>Well, it is dead. Nobody fucks with gentoo
Funtoo > Gentoo though
They'd need to merge though, perks from Funtoo like git feat. the manpower of Gentoo devs

Hope everything works out
It's one of the best distros right now

It's not, just install Debian and replace systemd with sysvinit. Takes like 3 commands to do

Some of the packages in the package manager are built around system-d which would likely lead to compatibility issues

The developers don't take it very seriously.
>The installer doesn't work.
>Website is shit
>Logo was made in 10 minutes in MSPaint
>Forum full of unhappy users complaining about instability
Basically it was just released as a containment distro to minimize the backlash from Manjaro OpenRC suddenly being dropped

Attached: actual-artix-logo.png (400x400, 20K)

What about antiX?
>Basically it was just released as a containment distro to minimize the backlash from Manjaro OpenRC suddenly being dropped
Yeah that shit sucks, Manjaro OpenRC was distro kino. Void was giving me problems with my laptop's wifi so I just gave up and went to Manjaro systemdicks, don't have time or anything else.

>I just gave up and went to Manjaro systemdicks
Installing that right now. I looked at all the other systemd-less Void replacements, but I really need to just focus on working.
I'm still keeping Void on another computer but I can't have it be my daily driver while the management the project is in limbo
The state of non-systemd distros has never been worse. Manjaro dropped openRC, Void is turmoil, FreeBSD has lost too many maintainers, and Gentoo requires too much free time to jump into.
This whole situation is a damn shame.