Why do you hate it this time?

Why do you hate it this time?

Attached: ubuntu-18.04-lts-1.png (902x507, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

extensions.gnome.org/extension/723/pixel-saver/
cdrtools.sourceforge.net/private/cdrecord.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>stable release
>stable kernel
>easy to fix bugs cuz chances are someone already asked in some forum and got an answer so you can google the error and find it
>most common distro
>ask yourself why the fuck you would want something else unless you want to be l33t hax0r and use kali

dont hate it just love it

no unity

>xubuntu 18.04 still has screen tearing
sigh. i fixed it but wtf man

why should i use it instead of debian?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-01 21-04-07.png (1920x1080, 225K)

tried to upgrade from my 17.10 and got a black screen on logging in
some X fuckery i'm sure

I don't really like GNOME, even with the Ubuntu extensions.

How the fuck can I scale the screen resolution?
12.5" FHD screen and things are too small.
Halp pls.

Attached: 1525129878816.jpg (1889x900, 132K)

>upgrade
Yeah, that's never a good idea. Always clean install and copy your home directory (or, at least the configs/files that you want to keep)

its probably the kernel secure boot to the older version

are you on a tablet or something, man?

You get to pick from 100% or 200% on X.
Wayland has more scaling options.
You could always go to Unity.

Does that panel with icons on the left disappear behind windows or is it constantly taking up that much space?

>tried to install on thumb drive
>This fucker removed the kernel from my main internal drive and replaced it with GRUB
Fuck Ubuntu.

It loads a bit slower than 17 on my laptop for some reason, some times when I boot it just does this "slow" version and kind of hangs after I log in for like 30 seconds. First 2 times it happened I hard rebooted because it took over a minute.

Otherwise it feels exactly the same as 17, so if that boot problem was fixed and it is more "secure" and up to date then that's good I guess.

You installed it wrong. If you have multiple disks, use custom partitioning and select the bootloader device.

Gnome 2 was the shit tho admit it

>Blame a computer for an individual's stupidity
>hur dur computer wont automatically make everything perfect for me

>loads slow
>how about a fucking SSD instead of magnetic disks to solve your problem and not blame the os

I actually liked the change to unity because I had a netbook in 2011, and the netbook edition shipped with unity, saving me previous vertical space. I only had 600px to play with, so it was a godsend.

But it does have an SSD, even if it didn't comparing them both on the same hardware does not change there's some kind of boot issue where it loads slower only sometimes.

>You installed it wrong
We'll, I selected to install it on /dev/sdc and it fucked my /dev/sda1.
Nowhere did it mention /dev/sda in the installer.

>computer wont automatically make everything perfect for me
It would have been nice if it did what it was supposed to do (install itself on a thumb drive).

For example, Alpine Linux installs itself correctly, without touching other disks. Meanwhile, Ubuntu fucks up disks it should not to just like Microsoft Windows.

Guh-Nome

Packages out of this century.

that "hanging for a few sec after you log in" happened on my laptop but only once. I use desktop and laptop with 18.4

probably its on your computer end not the os

it's fucking xfce, doesn't matter if you're running it on debian, gentoo or fucking windows, it's gonna have screen tearing

You should have waited until 18.04.1. NEVER upgrade until the first update, they even tell you this.

>JUST GET AN SSD!!
>but it's using an SSD
>never happened with any other OS, even previous versions of ubuntu
>must be your computer!!! get a better computer!

Do you work for canonical or something?

Thank you very much from this Brainlet, kindly user.
But makes me sad I have to switch DE for enabling this shit.

Attached: 1523374530982.jpg (627x576, 87K)

/thread

>fresh install of an upgraded version of a linux distro
>expect everything to work perfect on release like macos or windows which are paid OS while linux free

imagine scraping the windows or macos if a bug appeared on release and call it faulty, oh wait, you paid for them so you cant

if you cant deal with bugs on anything running linux and cant google your fix away, use a paid os, changing distros wont get you anywhere

>cannonical
>botne

>implying any device ever connected on the internet isnt a botnet

>Fresh install has Amazon installed by default
What is this, windows 10?

I WANT MY FUCKING MERGING TITLEBAR !!!!!!

Why would I ever use it? I don't trust Canonical, and I don't like their stuff. Seems pretty simple to me.

>got a black screen

Update your GPU drivers!

default background is ugly as fuck, this is the distro most beginners are gonna use, they should've had a killer default background instead of that ugly beaver.

>Not choosing minimal installation feature like any non brainlet dose and begging for advertisement products to be installed by default

there is literally a choice to opt-out of default apps and only install the basic os and then youre free to install all the shit you need

Looking for this?
extensions.gnome.org/extension/723/pixel-saver/

god I hate the Ubuntu layout

>two clicks to change your background and complain why its ugly by default.

you can simply download unity tweak tool from the store and make the desktop look lit edge with no effort at all. why would you complain about the wallpaper

>comfy desu

Attached: comfy.png (1920x1080, 462K)

GNOME

tell me what you hate about it that you find better on any other distro ever. the fact that it doesnt have the windows icon on the bottom left?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-02 00-06-43.png (1920x1200, 2.18M)

They fucking removed the option to encrypt your home folder during setup, only allowing full encryption on a "delete everything and install Ubuntu" install.

I had to find out how to manually encrypt my home folder and swap partition after the installation.

If it's so fucking easy then why isn't it fucking default. The default look of Ubuntu really needs an update, all the other Ubuntu flavours look better than this godawful purple/orange defaults.

?
They added whole disk encryption with LVM install, which is much better.

why you need to encrypt your home folder when you log in as the user that is supposed to own the said folder? make another user if you need to dont need someone accessing your shit

Botnet

I dual boot.

you know what it works? its the most popular distro the purple and orange wont attract only guys but girls too? its all about marketing. history says it works therefore they keep their shitty purple and orange

This is for my laptop, and in the rare chance of someone stealing it, I don't want anyone accessing my data.

"whole disk encryption" only applies to the Logical Volume Group, not the physical media which it sits on. The LVM treats your logical volumes as a disk, which allows you to encrypt across multiple drives, but also allows other partitions to be kept not encrypted.

if you have anything sensitive that you dont need someone accessing then use veracript and make a partition and hook load it every time you want to access it, even if your computer gets stolen they wont be able to break that shit even when loading your hard drive to somehting else. thats how you secure something not from OS

I don't know with what girls you hang out with but this design won't attract them. Women have an even higher sense of design and beauty.

I wouldn't call it hate exactly, the base is good, i just don't like gnome shell so a lot of criticism will probably be a lot more about gnome shell than ubuntu itself. On the positive side the experience of GS feels polished and consistent, but on the negative side it feels kind of limited as if they try to make people stick with their "vision", also it rubs me the wrong way the developers of gnome often considering their DE the "only one that matters" and it worries me the group of fans that just buys and follows that idea with no other arguments. In that sense i must say canonical has bring some sanity to that mess but i would honestly have KDE or cinnamon as the default DE. Well, that's the good thing about existing flavors, one size don't fit everyone IMHO.

Attached: 1522467074744.jpg (472x454, 98K)

Why can't ANY DE just do that from default jesus christ Gnome titlebar is so fucking huge and disgusting KDE, MATE, Xfce. WHY? is there something i don't understand like pass on the memo for fuck sake.

Attached: 1473306317231.gif (150x150, 2.73M)

nothing. it's surprisingly stable and very snappy
>inb4 gnome is slow and jerky on my machine
that's one of the big problems with gnome. It runs well on some hardware and on others it runs bad no matter what

how stable is it? last time i tried unity on 17.10/18.04 it was bug ridden

I don't.

Attached: file.png (3840x1080, 3.06M)

It's even worse than on 17.10, because much of the configuration software is gone by default.

I'm waiting for elementary OS Juno release.

because GNOME has managed to turn itself into a complete unusable garbage after 18 years of mismanagement

There's some stuff that isn't even close to ready for prime time on the server side that shouldn't have been pushed out in an LTS and could have used another 2 years to get good.

In particular, the new server installer Subiquity supports basically none of the important stuff that d-i does: it is ridiculous that it is 2018, GDPR is about to be a Thing, and subiquity not only doesn't install encryption by default, but can't do it at all.

Netplan.io (installed by default instead of ifupdown on new installs but not upgrades) is kind of shit compared to ifupdown, and actually even compared to NetworkManager: fine for some things, but there are some surprising omissions, like WPA2 Enterprise? They rolled it out without that? Canonical, do you seriously use one Wi-Fi password at your office?

Still, both of these are fixable, by using the alternate installer (still tried and true debian-installler, with preseeds), and installing ifupdown manually.

>easy to fix bugs
Having bugs in the first place is a problem. Other distros that keep it simple don’t have random dialogue windows popping up telling you something went wrong and asking you if you want to submit a report to Canonical, despite no apparent problem that might have caused it.

Well, let’s see. The default version comes with a gnome version that has a memory leak causing freezing and crashing. Why wait so long to release in stable when it has such a fucked problem?

unless you fuck something up you wont get any errors, the more shit you install the more shit are meant to happen, at least they give you a choice to report and inform you something crashed unlike hiding it on the background like most OS will do

MODAL WINDOWS CAN'T BE FUCKING MOVED

WHAT THE FUCK

I don't even care if you can muh config it so it doesn't do that. The fact that someone thought this was a good idea is enough to keep me away from Ubangu forever.

there were probably a couple hundred brainlets on /b/ trying to get your post No. 0000

they will hate you for life now

Attached: file picker.jpg (496x311, 32K)

>mfw just got a window 10 update and it took 3 fucking hours to complete and now my sound jack, internal microphone and camera don't work.
Honestly i would rather have the terrible GTK picker than coping with all the crap windows pushes on me (aside from needing to defend myself when possible from their horrible TOS) but alas, i need it only for certain works at work, the rest of the time i use plasma tho, so i don't suffer a lot from the gtk picker fortunately.

Attached: 1520795981423.jpg (591x627, 169K)

>uses windows as main os
kys

Honestly i want, believe me i wouldn't touch windows with a pole if i weren't obligated. That's the power of a monoply, MS has deals with a lot of institutions, including schools, along with their anti competitive tactics it's very hard to avoid them completely, i'm just a victim of most people mistaking pragmatism with immediatism.

Attached: infrastructures.png (740x352, 54K)

t. I install shit without consider how it affects the system or interacts with other software already in use.

dual boot

>Having bugs in the first place is a problem
Share with the class your miraculous methodology to create software that is flawless from the start taking in account deadlines and both human and monetary resources please.

>dual boot
i do, read my original comment please, in fact when i can i use a VM and wine too.

/thread

Disliking a vanilla distro is redundant, because it does everything your less user friendly distro does (more or less).

Ubuntu dumbs down the learning process for Linux, to about the equivalent of OS X. A user who is new to Linux and has 12.04 with Unity may not ever use a Sudo command or even open a terminal, much less understand the capabilities of the open source and free packages available to them, and the tools a their disposal (SSH for example).

Assuming the hard ware is relatively new (well new enough to not encounter any graphical, wireless, or sound driver issues), the Ubuntu 18.04 new user will never encounter a problem, install packages and updates through the GUI application, or through 1 click installs downloaded on Firefox or Chrome.

For these reasons, a lot of veteran or even new, yet determined GNU/Linux, BSD, and HURD users automatically dislike Ubuntu, and it's userbase, because of the shortcuts they take to use their Operating System. Linux draws a large community of technically inclined, or at least interested people who seek to improve said skills, and understand more about computers, and they can see Ubuntu as counteracting this, or if you will, dumbing down their community they've worked so hard to create.

I think in the end one must accept there will always be ignorant, unwilling end-users who are not interested in the how or why, but simply want to use LibreOffice and Firefox and Skype and Facebook. We can be thankful a distro such as Ubuntu exists for these users, so the Fedora, Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, OpenSUSE, BSD, etc communities can thrive without such distractions.

I agree completely, although i consider myself a "veteran" i don't think there's a good reason berate user oriented distros (sometimes i even think most of those kind of comments don't even come from real linux users but fanboys of other operative systems and even shills paid to use the old divide and conquer strategy).

I'm on 17.10 can I do a dist upgrade from terminal?

Why does it look like Mac? Gross.

Bloat.
Also this.

Attached: GNOME3.png (744x337, 27K)

No, this was a fresh install of Ubuntu. Looks nice but even more cracks start to show after a week.

I mean neither Windows or macOS, not to mention no other Linux distro, has an issue of random ass dialogue windows popping up on the login screen telling you to report a problem you aren’t even sure exists. Shit’s broken.

cdrtools.sourceforge.net/private/cdrecord.html

complete opposite results for me. try it yourself before you take benchmark from phoronix which btw, they're always wrong

nah, I already found a better DE anyway.

Attached: shot.png (1244x524, 106K)

That's good for you. kde was never my cup of tea

>I mean neither Windows or macOS, not to mention no other Linux distro, has an issue of random ass dialogue windows popping up on the login screen telling you to report a problem you aren’t even sure exists. Shit’s broken.
fucking this. Ubuntu shills on suicide watch

r8 (I had faster times on an old Pentium M rig in 2007 or so, modern Linshit is awful)

Attached: 2018-05-01-184034_951x193_scrot.png (951x193, 86K)

systemd
non-free packages and non-free blobs in the kernel

enjoy your constant fan noise and lack of hardware acceleration

Any DE which is not GNOME 3 and it's perfect. The most supported distro with some bugs fixed which aren't fixed in many other distros.

Attached: 1517965665707.png (1277x1281, 214K)

Ok guys, I want to install Kubuntu 18.04 over my Manjaro system, just because the font rendering is so fucking better.
Should it work perfectly OOTB on a X201?

I tried it but had some performance problems (mainly playing some vids). Didn't have time to try a lot of things because I was gonna go on a travel, so I just reinstalled Manjaro again.

Oh boy, having to reinstall again gives me the creeps.

no unity 8

Is should just work, there may be some performance issues, but you can tweak the system to fix most things.
If you're happy with Manjaro, you should look into how to fix the font rendering. Either system will have different quirks, and you'll have to fix them yourself if they bother you. You just have to choose which set of quirks you want to deal with less, and choose the other system.

>hate gnome cuz of Jow Forums opinions
>install ubuntu 18.04
>give gnome an honest chance
>it's actually pretty alright

Ugly, amazon spyware, proprietary blobs and packages, and it's overall just a repackaged debian for morons.

I never notice it.