/tpg/- ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
T440s - best design/price
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/ (currently not working, possibly indefinitely)
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: 1508192115796.jpg (1280x853, 527K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs
reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/8bkx36/1_vanilla_world_of_warcraft_stream_in_north/
rbt.asia/g/thread/64353676/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I had hoped I would never have to start posting this again but here it goes...

Threadly reminder to blacklist idab and T440s aswell as reporting him for breaking rule 11.

reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs

>”Grow up buddy, people know me. Im famous here. “ -idab

Bonus: The leddit post that showcases the OP image from the last thread. reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/8bkx36/1_vanilla_world_of_warcraft_stream_in_north/

Thanks for making this thread user.

Attached: icancer.png (320x180, 137K)

I was prepared to skip a thread because of him, hope people hop on over here.. Good job OP

Got a T440p coming next week. i7, dGPU (not that they matter much but hey better than iGPU only), 8GB RAM, backlit keyboard, got it at a lower price because I asked for no drives, battery could do with replacement in the future (gonna get a 9-cell or whatever) and I will probably redo the screen with a 1080p panel (1600x900 currently) as well but quite satisfied. Wanting this to last a while as my old laptop was in use from 2013 to 2018.

It's replacing a T410 that was falling apart, putting my 320GB+500GB HDDs in this, don't care much for SSDs but there's always the M.2 slot in the future, although they can only take tiny square versions.

reposting

ywn pin Awoo down and give him neck kisses

Attached: 1525181750033.jpg (634x457, 52K)

Whats wrong with the T440s?

yes, it's a great machine

Thanks OP, idab is cancer.

Attached: cursed image.jpg (1328x747, 212K)

The person that stands by them and advertises it in every other post. See: rbt.asia/g/thread/64353676/ and ctrl+f T440s. But if you really want to go there, none of the s models of any thinkpad line offer very much compared to their standard variant. The weight difference is meagre and the battery performance is about on-par with the other models. They sacrifice build quality for thin and light. Which is one of the main reasons why people turn to thinkpads over other consumer laptops.

I think the X60s was pretty good desu lad

gonna change the bios splash on my elitememe
dubs chooses image, pls make it 1366x768 downscaled to 1024x768 without aspect radiou correction and max size of 32kb, 16mil colors
thank keep in mind i use this in public

Attached: 1525196413735.png (657x600, 84K)

Relinking SSD is a major upgrade on any laptop, you should really consider it. "Tiny" (aka 42mm) M.2 SSD will perform just fine, at SATA III speeds on the T440P. Up to 256 GB it shouldn't be more expensive than a standard SATA III SSD.

Attached: BIOS splash logo.gif (535x379, 16K)

here go

Attached: 1519234512497.gif (375x573, 11K)

Yes but the t440s can be purchased for the same price as a t430/x230 in the United States.

The T440s is a direct upgrade in every way, except for build quality.

I mean the 1080p IPS display upgrade is only $59.99 and my mom could have done it.

>spacing
Fuck off idab you're not fooling anybody.

There is no doubt the t440p/t440s are the best options to buy.

I think user recommends the t440s because it matches the design style everyone wants now adays, it's super cheap, and has easily upgradable and repairable hardware.

If you recommend the x230 over the t440s to friends/family, they'll assume you have assburgers.

>time between posts

Attached: 1520975190022.jpg (240x232, 7K)

Own both the x220 and an x240 but I wouldn't say the x240 is any weaker or would break any easier than my x220. I do think the x220 has more solid internals to protect the motherboard, but I can always replace for $50, so not worth lugging around the extra weight. My x240 also gets much better battery life than my x220. Both windows 10.

Fuck off and leave /tpg/ alone!

Attached: 1475356369841.png (785x757, 512K)

Learn how to have a discussion like an adult.

Chill neckbeard. We are talking thinkpads. Get over my trip. So what if I'm a livestreamer. Gather yourself.

I may look at a SSD in the future but I've spent enough money already.

Unfortunately the 42mm SSDs seem to only have chink brands available, which disappoints me.

I will eventually get one for the OS but it's long down the priority list. Gotta buy a new phone next, looking at a Moto G5 (sup Lenovo), gonna wait for the G6 to come out as that should reduce the price a little bit.

I posted in the other tpg thread about my touchpad not working, and the touch point not working. I have done the following:
>reinstalled the drivers like twice (Windows 7)
>double checked in BIOS to make sure the touchpad and point are enabled (they are)
>tried booting a Live Linux environment and tested both yet they don't work (usually they do)

My next guess is that the touchpad connector is loose, but why would also the touchpoint also not work?? And none of the touchpad buttons work either.

Fuck right off, please

Attached: tumblr_oegygcziYV1r4oye7o1_400.gif (359x371, 405K)

Can the t40/t42/t43 ThinkPads run ReactOS properly?

Attached: 0442e066-e758-4efc-b47c-d22c663256a8.png (1140x1600, 989K)

Fell for the thinkpad meme, got a t430u, although is not the most recommended one. Confy, and a nice machine for linux (running ubuntu minimal + i3-gaps). Works like a charm. Waiting for ssd though

So I guess my only other options are to take it apart, and check the connections are made, though I don't know why they wouldn't be unconnected, or purchase another touchpad from eBay. But I am still confused as to why the touch point would also stop working when it doesn't use the same connector as the touchpad, but rather the keyboard connection, and the keyboard works.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

currently no real hardware runs reactOS properly.

Better not be the fake i7, the 4600M.

- hello
- hola, what ?
- can you..
- no im fucking busy, painting walls black.
piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

How is it fake out of curiosity?

It only has 2 core and 4 threads, basically an i5.

which thinkpad model is that? please tell

man i love my thinkpads

Attached: 9150.jpg (300x300, 30K)

ThinkPad TransNote

You don't want a quad core cpu in a laptop. What desktops are for.

tysm

Attached: 6273797+_9eacefa8b2fee3f8748508f7b44a5d2d.jpg (480x581, 39K)

Bye bye pedophile. Get out of my thread you creep.

If you're going to be disgusting or act childish just leave the discussion.

Grow up. Wipe the Cheeto dust off of your fingers.

yw user

Attached: 230cs.jpg (1206x1734, 186K)

Reminder the real current /tpg/ is here. Not this cancer troll.

Has there been any record of UXGA screens on a X61 thinkpad?
>1600x1200p
or am I stuck at SXGA+ at the regular 1400x1050p panel mod mod?

Attached: x61.jpg (752x445, 63K)

If you have the cash to upgrade the display, why not just upgrade the entire device?

You're right.
There's a pretty good chance I'm going to go for an x62 anyway. I was still wondering if a better resolution was possible though.

Yeah no point in going to a higher resolution display if the device isn't powerful enough to drive it.

51nb is a good choice.

This doesn't make any sense.

Explain what common laptop tasks can benefit from multi core processing, I'll wait.

Ms. Swan?

Thinkpad is about price/performance

The i5 4300m and i7 4600m have better price/performance, especially when buying used.

I get that the other i7 says "quad core" but it's multi core performance isn't actually much better, and it's going to run much hotter.

What's the last T/X series that has an actual built in RS-232 DB-9 serial port and Ethernet?

Get a load of this guys assburgers.

My t440s has a wonderful Ethernet port

Dongles are a thing as well, how often do you use a serial port?

You'll find that the older devices (even x220) will either be beat to shit or come with a dead battery. This is putting them into a more expensive category than better options like an x250 or t440p.

My router's console is a serial port. I do have a USB2 dongle from my macfag days, but I was just curious. I remember my old Dell Latitude D620 had a serial port, but that thing ran hotter than John Podesta at a girl scouts convention and only had like three hours of battery life.

check the thinkwiki
you'll find your answer there

I think about creating a copy of Stallmans setup, is a T400s for 78 euro a good deal?

Attached: Screenshot-2018-5-2 How I do my Computing.png (1306x394, 42K)

Attach dongle to router interface

Tape/glue/solder together

Hacked the router to have a usb2 connection

#dab

To use as a daily driver? No it's outdated and you will only be cucking yourself if you use such a slow device.

For a toy to play around with a few times? Go for it.

Yeah as side machine to learn emacs and lips on :^)
Is the price good though? It's 93.5 in burgerland cash.

If it's in a great condition.

Heavily used though? I'd keep looking.

Just noticed it's a T400, what's the difference between a T400 and a T400s?

No such thing as a t400s, I assumed you meant t400 the entire time.

Oh nevermind it is a thing, and I'd rather have the t400 over the t400s, even if master neckbeard uses the s.

Just scream "Free Software" whenever you see some nice normal people, you'll get the stallman feel in no time.

Transcend is fine for 42 mm SSDs large enough for / and /boot

Attached: resistance is futile.gif (705x435, 28K)

it's only endorsed because they cleaned up ebay, pozzed them with tranny boot and are now selling each machine at 10x the price they got them for.
I love the fsf but they can be absolute jews when they want to

Stallman is a jew, coincidence? I think not.

They aren't Jews, the only people shelling out large sums of money for ancient thinkpads are neckbeards with assburgers, and what else are they going to spend money on? Lolidolls and weeb anime?

What's the absolute cheapest ThinkPad I could buy new?

probably an x260, which would be $500-$650

that's a really fucking good deal considering thats pretty much acer shit territory

My X240 has power issues that often require pressing the emergency reset button, or even disconnecting the internal battery. They are becoming more often to my detriment. Do any of you know what could be the cause?

which modern thinkpad has a more powerful cpu than the one in T440p?
price is not an issue.

degradation of the internal battery, possibly?
Not sure.
How's the internal battery holding charge?

w541, p50, p51, t460p, t470p

How'd I do?
I'm already planning on swapping out the ram once it gets here.

Attached: Screenshot_20180501-191923.png (1080x1920, 566K)

>$239.25 for a fucking x230
>x230
>30

Attached: images.jpg (219x230, 5K)

Join us now and share the software, you'll be free hackers you'll be free hackers youll be freeee-eeeee-eeee

it's become the new reddit meme laptop, sadly.
Good thing the x240 is practically the same price as it now?

It's an i7 with the ips screen and ssd. It's refurbished as well, which I'm assuming means close to new as possible. How much should I have paid? I think the price is right.

daily reminder to never recommend the T440p to summerfags in order for it to remain cheap
they already ruined T420/X220

What's the phone equivalent to a ThinkPad?

>dual core i7
>thinks the word "refurbished" means anything
>4gb ramlet
>shit keyboard
yeah, you got fucking ripped off by Jewegg

Attached: 1521260234478.jpg (614x586, 92K)

i think it's a good deal user!
i payed that much for an i5 with spinning rust drive, tn panel and 4gb of ram because i didn't know better.
Slowly upgrading it though

>T440s
>FHD IPS
>4600U
>8GB RAM
>256GB SSD
>intel gfx

250 usd y/n?

i'm upgrading from a t430 with a 3520M, 8gb ram, nvidia 5400m, and an absolute steaming pile of shit 1600x900 non-ips screen. don't care about gfx card

blackberry

>T440s
no.
stop shilling the t440s, idab.

i'm just looking at a listing on ebay. i know the s is supposed to be small and retarded, but i'm not an idab.

>refurbished
That just means they sprayed the vents with air and formatted the hard drive

unless you're good at playing the ebay game avoid "certified refurb" as much as possible
They're ALL retarded cock suckers that can't even list a resolution right, wont check the bios for passwords and will get very aggressive with you unless you take out the /badfeedback/ card.

That's how I got my $90 burger elitememe 8470p (I had to call HP and get the bios password removed manually though, thinkpads can't do this)

Attached: 1519437098397.webm (1280x720, 1.53M)

Just get a T440p.

You get what you pay for.

If you come across a refurbished seller and they're shifting a lot of ThinkPads, always ask if they can do an upgrade for you. It's how I got my backlit keyboard, didn't have to pay extra because I asked for no storage or disc drives (I have my own), seller sorted me out no problem.

>and get the bios password removed manually though, thinkpads can't do this
But i have done that in a T400 and in a T420, you only need a paper clip or a wire.

what do you guys use as a power manager? xfce4? tlp? also, anything else essential i shoudl remember to setup while setting up my fresh install? (void)

>what do you guys use as a power manager?
lenovo power manager

what do you mean by power manager? I have an i3 keybinding to lock+suspend. I use powertop to make sure the no tiny jewish electrons are escaping

>T440p
This thread may as well be called T440p general with all the shilling going on.

>didn't have to pay extra because I asked for no storage or disc drives (I have my own), seller sorted me out no problem.
so you cucked yourself out of shit that should have came with the system and you're proud of that?
the elitebook has passwords stored on a separate EEPROM, isn't it the same for thinkpads?

I don't want a DVD drive when I'm just gonna get a hard drive caddy.