/wt/ WATCH THREAD

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=WCtT1RmwTd4

>Thread theme (also unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=YxIiPLVR6NA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cPITpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAuARwi

previous thread:

Attached: vincero.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oB5hzlDe10c
hodinkee.com/articles/panerai-lab-id-luminor-1950-carbotech-3-days-49mm-lubricant-free-introducing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The holy trinity is Vostok and Seiko

Seiko, Citizen, Casio

Rewrite this from /wt/'s perspective:
youtube.com/watch?v=oB5hzlDe10c

Attached: 5E6B8D1D-4378-4D4C-A337-EB4A557E7297.jpg (4032x3024, 2.45M)

*A woman walks into my toilet*
>blablabla, digital watch?. Timex?
"Casio"
>Beautiful

Attached: 1524436345481.jpg (640x849, 508K)

She can't even see the bloody watch there.
Damn Omega marketing. Bond was cooler when he used some sick Seikos.

noice. model?

It’s an SNE107 with an aftermarket bezel (the bezel is a bear to install)

You’ll never see another one in real life though

Attached: bond.png (346x160, 7K)

i just gave mine back to the ups man to return. SHITWATCH

>strap guide pastebin:
>This page has been removed!
>This page is no longer available. It has either expired, been removed by its creator, or removed by one of the Pastebin staff.
Can you guys suggest me sites to buy lizard straps? I've seen a few where I live for 36-50 dollars, but I'm afraid of getting fake ones if I buy local.

Attached: 1512607554066.png (793x532, 293K)

Was 30 or so bucks too large of an investment for you?

> Rolex?
> DAINI SEIKOSHA

>quartz?
>spring drive

Did you remember to correct the date on your watch wt?

Attached: 20180501_095138-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.53M)

That looks really tight, you should add some links.

>not having a perpetual calendar.

>holy trinity
>gives 2 names
You fetid oaf

didnt work, stain on dial

I'll do them as I wear them, can't be fucked changing several all at once.

Is that 42mm? jesus

Did you seriously buy a Casio used or from some shady chink?

>nice watch, Patek?
>Boctok

or even more:
>nice watch, is it fake?
>no it's a replica you dumb whore, I can't wait to see you get the BBC!

>Rolex?
>Omeega.
>I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Omega, is in fact, Swatch/Omega, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Swatch plus Omega. Omega is not a watchmaker unto itself, but rather another empty shell of a fully functioning Swatch conglomerate made useful by the advertising, Chinese outsourcing, and vital ETA movement components comprising a full watch as defined by COSC.

>nice watch, is it fake?
>no it's a replica you dumb whore, I can't wait to see you get the BBC!

Attached: tgv354.jpg (867x674, 106K)

Attached: IMG_20170515_200320-01.jpg (2299x2255, 1.36M)

Whooooosh

>there are people on /wt/ that actually pronounce Vostok as boctok
You idiots know that’s wrong, don’t you?

Got it from amazon

Relax. They don’t care where you got it, they’ll deny that anyone but you did anything wrong because it doesn’t fit their narrative of “cheap Casios are the best”
Don’t fall for their tricks friend.

And where does your bias come from?
Everytime you get a Casio from a legitimate source, it will be exactly on point.
Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean those are shit.

I’m not biased. I like Casio, but if brands like Omega or Grand Seiko can have things like loose end links and that be accepted as okay but you insist that $10 disposable Casios are 100% infallible and continually question a man who got a lemon then that tells me something is off.

Why do people here keep telling me Vostok isn’t a tool watch? I do yard work and work out in mine.

Casio? More like Casoyo.

>Why do people here keep telling me Vostok isn’t a tool watch? I do yard work and work out in mine.
also you're a tool

Any recs for better/cheaper divers than this guy? I like the blue and black

Attached: Sreen Shot 2018.png (2090x1434, 1.59M)

Where should I look to buy Omega constellations? The vintage ones.

Well with Casio, their quality control is not exceptionally high, and they don't spend a lot of time making parts fit perfectly, instead engineering the parts to always fit together perfectly no matter what. This means that as designs get older the tolerances get looser as the molds wear out and the workers are paid less and less to assemble them.

My Marlin's second hand misses every indice on the dial. My A168 runs fast, and the backlight makes an extremely loud coil whine. If I really wanted to, both watches are cheap enough to just return and buy new ones until I got perfect second hand alignment and regulation.

I’m a machine.

They say the watch makes the man.

You must be a girl.

Attached: invicta_bolt_zeus_16955.jpg (1200x925, 127K)

>Rolex?
>Its a Tudor
>Looks fake

eBay, watchrecon, r/watchexchange (actually)

Attached: 20180414_122800-4032x3024.jpg (4032x3024, 2.19M)

PLEASE RESPOND

Thanks user. If i gave you details of my bank account would you be able to manage my money so I can afford watches?

Yeah, I'll make you rich.

Attached: rolex quality.jpg (1589x817, 201K)

If you're referring to the work I do, I mostly work with clients that are outside what I assume is your net worth segment. That said-
Managing your investments has nothing to do with being able to afford a watch for most people. Most people are best off separating their investments (which are in effect their savings) and their spending. If you are saving over a long term for a particular thing you want to buy (say, 2-3 years) then investing that money that you're saving up in the meantime might make sense. In any case, The best advice for most people is that it's perfectly fine to save up to buy something, but they need to be saving up by choosing to spend less of their "spending" budget for a while, until enough builds up that it's enough to buy whatever it is they want to buy.

Didn't have to on this one.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180501_155105.jpg (2588x2588, 2.92M)

>Managing your investments has nothing to do with being able to afford a watch for most people. Most people are best off separating their investments (which are in effect their savings) and their spending. If you are saving over a long term for a particular thing you want to buy (say, 2-3 years) then investing that money that you're saving up in the meantime might make sense. In any case, The best advice for most people is that it's perfectly fine to save up to buy something, but they need to be saving up by choosing to spend less of their "spending" budget for a while, until enough builds up that it's enough to buy whatever it is they want to buy.
What kind of watch should I buy, can I afford a $300 watch?

Attached: DSC_3434.jpg (2448x3264, 1.28M)

PERNPETUAL CALNDAR!!!!!

Attached: 1513089869179.jpg (1122x632, 87K)

do you know if anyone has made a watch that doesn't use electricity and that doesn't have to be adjusted on Mar 1 2100?

JLC's Atmos

well the divers fail easily underwater because of their meme pressure system

Panerai Lab-ID Luminor 1950 Carbotech 3 Days
>no oils or liquid lubricants of any kind, anywhere in the movement
>50-year warranty
>$53,470
>49mm

hodinkee.com/articles/panerai-lab-id-luminor-1950-carbotech-3-days-49mm-lubricant-free-introducing

Attached: PANERAI_PAM00700_HERO.jpg (7481x4196, 1.61M)

Why are Panerais so ugly? Who buys these?

actually kind of cool

>tfw waiting on straps in the mail
I'm thinking about getting an MN strap, they look super nice but they're also a little vintage looking which might not match this watch. Seatbelt natos look pretty cool too.

Attached: DSC_6488.jpg (1500x998, 351K)

I think they are cool even at their size. I just hate that they don't try to make them decent and that the chinks unironically make as good if not better fakes of them.

Yes fake is the correct word not replica.

>Why are Panerais so ugly? Who buys these?
They were originally a true dive watch. They were not meant to be worn to the office. They were meant to glow and be worn over a dive suit 80+ years ago, they look perfect for that.

people who appreciate original divers buy them

Attached: 20180501_122319.jpg (2560x1440, 1.3M)

unironically? 49mm? just because they "appreciate original divers"?

They were meant to be worn over a dive suit bro, they were a tool for scuba divers so they could count the mins till their air ran out, they needed to be big and simple and visible, not sure what part of that you are not getting.

Not sure what part of nobody fucking uses them for that anymore you don't understand

Why would someone want a 1933 ford roadster? It's not safe, gets bad milage and has a bumpy ride.

if you have to ask you won't understand

That was all before Panerai died as a brand and was bought out by Richmond. Modern Panerai was then re-launched as a high-end brand and nothing to do with it's historic diver watchmaking.

BUT IT'S NOT PRACTICAL THIS GUY IS AN IDIOT

Attached: 9644647-1933-ford-roadster-thumb-c.jpg (640x480, 34K)

>That was all before Panerai died as a brand and was bought out by Richmond. Modern Panerai was then re-launched as a high-end brand and nothing to do with it's historic diver watchmaking.
yeah except for it's brand name and nearly identical designs, almost no watches from the 30s are made exactly the same way with the same materials as back then

>If they released a modern Ford Roadster it should be unsafe have bad milage and be bumpy.

Buying a fuck huge vintage is one thing. I'd love to own a 55mm real flieger, but it would be fucking retarded to buy a modern 55mm flieger

nobody is making you buy one user

Just google "chicago autograph"

Thank me later

I'm not going to because the size is retarded and they printed on The crystal instead of the dial

I did and it came up with a website hosting the autographs from a hotel. No thank you.

They can't print on the dial due to the material. Did you read?

Not offhand. I'll look into it though, I'm curious if anyone has.

You'd be surprised. They enjoyable, they run well, they're extremely legible, and if your arm and wrist can handle it, they look good too.

Attached: Pam091Wrist.jpg (1024x768, 53K)

This one has, apparently. And only 42mm x 61mm x 19.15mm.

Attached: Franck Muller Mega.jpg (568x768, 79K)

>they look good too.

Attached: 1525061408921.png (252x221, 61K)

>tfw real man wrists

Attached: images.jpg (323x456, 26K)

this one as well, in a reasonable case

Attached: svend-andersen-perpetual-secular-calendar-caseback.jpg (540x405, 111K)

Just checked out the new Rolex/Tudor releases in person today. New Pepsi on Jubilee is awesome. Tudor Pepsi wasn't bad either.

Attached: IMG_20180501_185519.jpg (3968x2976, 2.64M)

But they do! You just can't wear them with a suit. Unless it's a wetsuit.

Watches always look smaller if you take the photo from far away. If you take it close up like in my first pic, the diameter of the casing overshoots the field of vision (because it's 2D), and because it's a rather thick watch, it looks larger than it does in life (where you see in 3D and you are looking from much further away).

As long as you're reasonably fit and you don't have noodle arms, then you can wear one. But as I said, it doesn't work with a suit and the easiest thing to wear with it is actually a golf shirt.

If you're serious about it, the boutiques for Panerai have been appearing in a many major cities in the last few years....I'm actually rather surprised just how much they're capable of expanding given that they are in many respects a one-trick-pony.

Attached: Pam091.jpg (1024x768, 99K)

Not sure what the point of that is considering the watch is going to have to be completely disassembled several times between now and then

>But they do!
No. They look like shit and are so shoddily made that the Chink fakes are indistinguishable from the real thing. Panerai are the absolute nadir of marketing driven, nouveau riche pleb-catching watchmaking, arguably even worse than Hublot.

Attached: 1374796030634.png (444x440, 117K)

Repill me on Frederique Constant

Attached: 14676488_357176484629437_7906079574029500416_n.jpg (1080x1080, 179K)

>Hublot.

Attached: 1493364050231.jpg (450x450, 69K)

Same as Christopher Ward. Some great value on a sale

>They look like shit.
Your opinion, and definitely not universally shared. They are definitely unique aesthetically though, and they're not for everyone.
>They are "...so shoddily made..."
I'm not sure where you got that idea. The movements are high quality, though usually taken from an ETA or Unitas ebauche. Their bracelets before the change (i.e. like mine) were excellent, but they stopped making them like this because it was too labor intensive. I never looked into their precious metal cases, nor the Bronze cases they did before the Bronze case revolution hit everyone, so I don't have any experience in that. Lastly, I've NEVER heard of any report of one of these watches failing due to manufacture, either in depth rating or just in general daily wear. But as we know, their numbers are incredibly small compared with other companies like Omega, so you'll hear a lot about Omega failures (especially with the first gen. of co-axial) but you won't hear a peep out of Paneristi.

>Panerai are the absolute nadir of marketing driven, nouveau riche pleb-catching watchmaking.

Considering how many watchmakers are dependent upon successful marketing, I'm not sure what I can say about that 'critique'. As for 'nouveau riche', well, they obviously wanted something that was not Patek/Rolex/Cartier, which used to dominate the nouveau. Now they look to MMA (with AP), Hublot (for the size), and Panerai for the Stallone connection. Do you expect rappers to wear a 37mm Day-Date? It's not in their character, and watches do to an extent serve as an amplification or externalization of the personality of the person wearing it.

>Arguably even worse than Hublot
Possibly. I find that Panerai at least seems to have a unification kind of goal regarding their aesthetics. Hublot always seems 'all over the place' to me...

Pic is the other one I had. Handwound, and a litlte more formal, but FAR less rare.

Attached: Pam111side.jpg (1024x768, 81K)

>Pic is the other one I had. Handwound, and a litlte more formal, but FAR less rare.

Attached: 1511877356804.jpg (640x640, 54K)

Attached: F2780F12-9AE2-44CE-9CAE-95BDEF79D898.jpg (4032x3024, 2.16M)

How's your moon strap, windy?

Attached: citizen-promaster-aqualand-eco-drive-depth-sensor_3.jpg (1156x700, 290K)

It's so quiet here...

Attached: On wrist.jpg (640x640, 59K)

>How's your moon strap, windy?
omg thanks for asking, it's pretty super good. I will post a full review later. I am not sure what to do with it. It's EXTREMLY light weight. It feels like it's going to break because it weighs nothing. I knew the outside of it was velcro but I was not thinking about how much dirt it would collect, I don't think it's really suitable for normal wear. The good thing is it's infinitely adjustable. I am going to mess with it and my chrono this weekend.

Forgot pic

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.76M)

Nice, put it on f91w.

the F91 is 18mm and the strap is 19.5 but along the edges it's very very thin where there is no fuzzy velcro, I bet I could get an f91 on there without bending it too much. I'll try for the lulz and post pics probably this weekend.

I thought I was going to be getting basically a big beefy 21 inch long nato, but this thing is so light, it must weigh 1/5th of what a regular 12inch long nato weighs. When you pick it up it's more like picking up a thin plastic grocery bag than a watch strap

Yeah it is. What happened?

Where’d everybody go

Attached: 1C50EA01-516A-43BE-955A-AB214A636B9C.jpg (4032x3024, 1.34M)