This is honestly the only thing stopping linux from overtaking windows

this is honestly the only thing stopping linux from overtaking windows

Attached: steam-logo-transparent.png (2400x2398, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1696043806550421224/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wrong.

How? It’s probably the only platform that brings Linux game devs to a wide audience. Sure Steam won’t allow any games on the store that don’t have a Windows version, but it’s better than not having a platform, or even worse, a freetard version of Steam

fpbp

I take it nobody on Jow Forums actually reads the regularly updated Major Linux Problems on the Desktop...

Sounds like a laundry list of wintoddler babby duck syndrome complaints on par with “what’s a computer?” tier stupidity Get back at me when you guys figure out how to update without restarting

this

Probably the biggest problems are:
> Windows comes preinstalled on most desktops and laptops, for windows to gain market-share you just need any person buying a computer, for linux to gain market-share you need the person to research, change the default partitions, install by themselves it and get accustomed. Windows is a huge opt-out and linux is an opt-in.
> Most people is practically trained into how to use windows and programs available only on windows from a young age, familiarity is extremely hard to overthrow and is normal everything will feel alien. Deals with institutions specially schools is a big deal.
> Lock-ins. Microsoft has some nasty anti-competitive practices that seems almost everyone accepts for a supposed "pragmatism" but that creates a huge vicious circle for any competitor to enter. Basically people shoots themselves in the foot and makes harder for everyone else to fight against the monopolies.
> Microsoft has a huge amount of advertisement power, they can basically do anything they want without receiving hardly any backlash from their customers because only the few informed people will fight against them. Practically they can buy good reputation with money.

Attached: 1521158651340.jpg (1080x1080, 705K)

>the regularly updated Major Linux Problems on the Desktop
The guy basically can't be argued with, he'll quickly accuse you of insulting him while saying any counterargument you give is because you're a fanboy, he basically created a circlejerk with hardly any discussion.

You mean like this?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-01 19-36-25.png (1920x1080, 819K)

You know that PC gamers are not even remotely close to the majority of Windows users right? Also businesses are way more trapped on the windows platform than gamers and way more important to MS.

This. The biggest problems are the fact that Windows is the "default" option and most people don't care to try anything else if it requires them to learn how to install a new OS. There's a reason why Apple gives schools free Macs for their kids. If kids learn how to use a Mac they're more likely to use it when they're older.

Nobody is teaching kids how to use linux, and nobody ever will.

What i don't get is the people that roots for the shitty monopoly to become stronger for the sake of thinking they're with the "wining team" which is something that only benefits microsoft but that doesn't benefit them at all as simple customers. Talking about steam check any thread where people asks for a linux version of the game and how there comes other people trying to discourage the people from asking for a port or talking as if they were talking for the sake of the developers, honestly if they're not being paid they just don't grasp how much they're hurting themselves doing that.

Hurf durf baby duck, derp herf wintodler

all those fuckin uninstalled games from before you had shitux

Attached: 1487985316059.jpg (640x640, 61K)

>proprietary malware with DRM as a "feature" is the only thing stopping Linux
No, it's the only thing keeping the hordes of Windows users from ruining Linux desktop and turning it into their own little proprietary replica of Windows.

steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1696043806550421224/
>While it's true Steam Machines aren't exactly flying off the shelves, our reasons for striving towards a competitive and open gaming platform haven't significantly changed. We're still working hard on making Linux operating systems a great place for gaming and applications. We think it will ultimately result in a better experience for developers and customers alike, including those not on Steam.
and
>At the same time, we're continuing to invest significant resources in supporting the Vulkan ecosystem, tooling and driver efforts. We also have other Linux initiatives in the pipe that we're not quite ready to talk about yet; SteamOS will continue to be our medium to deliver these improvements to our customers, and we think they will ultimately benefit the Linux ecosystem at large.

>We also have other Linux initiatives in the pipe that we're not quite ready to talk about yet;
Hope your body is ready for a Linux exclusive HL3

Attached: Screenshot-2018-5-2 SteamOS, Linux, and Steam Machines Steam for Linux General Discussions.png (563x790, 137K)

Not Steam, but video games and useful software in general - and even then, there isn't a single distro that has the ease-of-use of Windows. Even if Linux had the software, nobody is going to put up with it if it's still a headache to use.

>Why don't you guys use Linux?
>Okay, I'll try it
>Nooooo! My secret club!

This is why Linux is destined to fail on the desktop.

All those uninstalled games run on linux, brainlet!

>Linux exclusive HL3
I'd say that's the fastest way to kill an IP, but nobody gives a shit about HL anymore anyway.

This. HL is dead, but I'd love to see them make it for Linux.

>normies will put extra effort into shit that isn't essential in their lives
>normies will feel the urge replace their OS on their chrome/microsoft office machine

lol

genuinely curious
are you blind
why is everything so fucking huge and ugly

>uses lingus
>has no friends
like pottery

The other issue is the ease-of-use for windows machines. The average normie doesn't care about learning how to operate a terminal, they just want to click pretty pictures and have everything just werk.

Attached: 6a00d8341c558f53ef01b8d1948aaa970c.jpg (1024x1024, 157K)

Is this better?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-01 20-29-32.png (1920x1080, 353K)

>0 online
>ugly os
>ugly font
>only tab open is Jow Forums
>only program open is a browser

yep, checks out.

>Office
>Photoshop
>Vegas
No.

Yeah and then come complaining when things do not just werk.

>font rendering so bad, xhe needs to use scaling to make it readable

Attached: 1379940161673.jpg (200x200, 11K)

Wintoddler don’t even have comebacks. Pathetic. Macfags are smarter than wintoddlers

Steam doesn't even officially support Windows 8 or 10, linux just sucks

Attached: Screenshot (92).png (294x182, 6K)

>hurf
>durf
>derp
>r*ddit: the post

Ooh, good idea! Now I just need to adjust Firefox to get the full 'font for ants' experience.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-01 20-40-44.png (1920x1080, 364K)

Because all of his arguments are correct. He's unironically smarter than 99% of Jow Forums, which is unsurprising given that he's a dev from Russia.

Counterarguments aren't just memes, you know.

>Get back at me when you guys figure out how to update without restarting
user... you DO realize Linux can't do that either, because it's theoretically impossible? Right?

Have fun finger banging the terminal for 2 days while I compile AND deploy my website with 1 mouse click. Enjoy something breaking Everytime you login and obscure errors Everytime you update. Even the most productive apps you have are broken in a special way in every diff distro. Why don't you distro hop for another 6 years and write more fizzbuzz's and then get back to me with some real product.

Does Linux have Microsoft office?

>Ugly font
Is this better? I can't tell, I'm laughing too hard.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-01 21-00-14.png (1920x1080, 780K)

Gaming is a freakishly small market niche compared to the industry standard software that only runs on Windows (occasionally MacOS too) and no Linux. Steam could magically port all games to Linux and it literally wouldn't make a dent in the aggregate numbers. The main problem with the linux desktop is that there is no organization devoted to the top down production of one. The money and time goes into making linux a better server OS because that is what most people want and will pay for (through support from Red Hat or Canonical) or will volunteer for (reciprocity from other corporations). Virtually nobody actually cares about the desktop. Those devs who work on it are poorly paid or not paid at all, so between that and evolving with the underlying server OS patched together by reciprocity and corporate cash, you get a generally poor desktop experience that most users would rather not tolerate.

>two button mouse strongly recommended

>theoretically impossible
No. The mock OS I'm developing for my thesis can do that, it's called "overbooting" (TM do not steal) and basically means that you load a second instance of the OS (with the new kernel) without ending the first instance yet. As you keep using the computer new processes belong to the new OS, which has its own memory segment and CPU allocation. Eventually no application software belongs to the old instance and it can be seamlessly terminated. The toll is that it uses about 2-7 GiB of RAM on top of the usual, but that goes away after a while, which can range from 30 minutes to 15 months. If Linux wanted to have a similar feature they could have done it too.

If all adobe,msoffice products move to linux, i would definitely become a linux cuck like you

Basednigger

So you're still rebooting, but spreading it over a period of time... assuming that no apps need to keep running in the same memory space, etc. It's a hack that doesn't even invalidate my statement.

>In computing, rebooting is the process by which a running computer system is restarted
It's not being restarted, it's being "overstarted" (TM do not steal). You're just a sore retard because your gay kernel doesn't have this feature.

>shininghero
>minecraft community
go away kid

What do I do, Jow Forums? I was planning to build a PC for gaming, but then I started looking more into Windows telemetry. Do I just "go with what I need?" Is gaming on Linux really that bad? What about PlayOnLinux? Feels like I'm going to split in half

Attached: zuckerbot.jpg (631x501, 58K)

Btfo

HL isnt what everyones waiting for
They are waiting for Source 2

Learn to use Greentext before telling people r*ddit

Stay on Windows.

Office

Are you retarded? Just dual boot or stay on Windows.

>gaming is the reason
lol?

>LibreOffice

It's shit compared to Office.

Office is garbage.

lol

Attached: 1522022501554.jpg (223x226, 8K)

Office is p great senpai

You are garbage

Google can do anything that office can do
If you want professional looking documents use LateX

Yes. I would switch immediately. Some old DX9 games work natively, but modern ones will never run unless someone enables DX11 or Vulkan playback.

This. I had a conversation with 2 of my coworkers last week (one of which is is my boss) and we easily agreed that except for excel Microsoft office is garbage, but even excel is blown out when the issues most people are trying to solve with it are approached with a database and sql

nice false flagging winshill.

>This is why Linux is destined to fail on the desktop.
Why that much hate, in what way supporting the huge monopoly benefits you out of curiosity?

>He needs to false flag to create an argument.

Attached: 1521166249766.jpg (715x655, 45K)

>Lincuck users still in denial UNIRONICALLY belive this
Yeah buddy! 1 day to the year of linux , just like every other years

Linux has millions of lines of code written by the world's elite.
I'd expect at least a speck of user experience research done and the OS to do all the magic in the background.
Instead, I have to know what a command line interface is because someone didn't do his job properly and expects the user to fill in the blanks.
Call me when GNU is a graphical point-and-click OS and not some alpha version clusterfuck.

>And adobe and autodesk
>And still heaving trouble getting scanners and printers to work often
>And basic functionality being a pain in the ass like finding, installing and then configuring (in goddamn configfiles even) samba to do local filesharing

>The other issue is the ease-of-use for windows machines.
This point has been already addressed, its familiarity not that windows is easier, windows users generally don't fix their own shit anyway when something goes wrong, they ask someone else to do it and the same would happen to linux if it had a bigger marketshare.
>The average normie doesn't care about learning how to operate a terminal
False flagging at least in the case of user oriented distros like ubuntu. The terminal is convenient for a lot of things and it's good to have it, specially because often copying and pasting some commands can do what a whole tutorial of pressing buttons would do but for normal usage it's not obligatory.
>they just want to click pretty pictures and have everything just werk.
The problem is, it actually just werk? for me at least windows has been a lot more problematic than linux by a large margin, i recently got a computer with windows 10 and gave it a fair chance but the most recent update made some of my hardware stop working, this along with what microsoft pushes on you if you're not careful (who knows if those switches actually makes a difference) and not having things like a package manager makes windows a lot worse than linux distros in my book.

>Call me when GNU is a graphical point-and-click OS and not some alpha version clusterfuck.
It is already tho.

>He actively supports a huge and unhealthy monopoly by trying to discourage people from using linux.
Why tho? what do you earn by doing that?

Free (You)s

No? I go to download drivers for my GPU and the distro wants me to use some package manager bullshit for it, command line.
Of course it doesn't even work in the end.

In that default view steam only shows games that can be played with current OS.

>official support on ubuntu
>literally runs fine on gentoo
I don't see the issue?

You don't need playonlinux or even winetricks. Wine-staging with mono (the free implementation of .NET) is all you need.

Oh, it was a pleasure to give you (you)s, it's nice to see you was just pretending and that you don't have any argument :).

>me to use some package manager bullshit for it, command line
Depends on your distro i guess but at least on ubuntu there's a gui for that, i think on manjaro and arch too, i don't know about others.

>Of course it doesn't even work in the end.
oh, btw it's strange how the amd drivers worked for me ootb but instead the gpu switching is broken on my laptop with an AMD 9600P on windows, i can't even install a newer version of the drivers than the ones provided by either windows update or dell (which are not the most recent in both cases) because the dedicated GPU is not recognized anymore. Quite ironic considering windows is supposed to have better driver support.

No, it depends more on if you have nvidia or not. Most (all?) distros don't come with the propertiary nvidia drivers by default and if you want to swap over to them to get any performance out of you card then you need to open up command line and do complicated shit to get it working.

On the other side of the fence radeon ootb experience is excellent

yeah sure buddy, it's not like it ain't got any relevant software support long before I started to use Steam

Wrong.

MS Office is the reason mainstream Linux desktop will never be a thing.

/v/ honesty thinks this.

maybe not overtaking but a huge amount of gaymers would switch, considering you don't need to pay for it.

No. On buntu/mint you go to hardware/extra drivers (don't recal how it is called), click to enable proprietary drivers and then reatart. Done. It was this way for last 5 years maybe.

No.
Windows being the default preinstalled OS is the biggest problem.
Installing a new OS on your machine is nothing the average user is willing to do.

Getting used to a new interface isn't that much of a problem, both KDE and Gnome are intuitive enough for that, but the fact that people "have to make a switch" is what is stopping them from switching.

Wrong.
Paint 3D is the only thing that force me to use Windows

>adobe creative cloud

linux is a fucking time vampire
games may keep a well put together distro with no bullshit from overtaking windows, but the normal bullshit on linux makes it unsuitable as an os for the masses.

that and if i'm going to be forced to run virtual machines anyway for all the programs that don't work on linux, may as well run the os I need natively.

its entirely possible for gamers to keep pc alive on their own, the market wouldn't be massive, but there is enough there for it to be possible.

there are distros that are all in one, able to be used with no hassle, and if all use used was a facebook machine, it would be acceptable.

the problem is, if you want to add anything, you break that all in one ness just works to it.

vulkan could become a dx11 wrapper,

>Steam won’t allow any games on the store that don’t have a Windows version
Wait, what? Really?

>Wait, what? Really?
Nope, it's a lie.

There's literally zero reason not to use Windows no matter how hard you tip your fedora, you fat autists.

It's called kexec on Linux and it's been around for a decade. kexec allows you to load a new kernel directly from your own kernel. It is like a reboot but it bypasses BIOS and all that so it's much, much faster than actually rebooting.

That's not always the case. Random example, I know one person who sticks with Windows 7 and absolutely does not want to submit to Windows 10. But he's hooked on GTA V and plays it all the time even though it's .. years old now. That one game is the entire reason he didn't install GNU/Linux long ago. And this is the case for a number of corporations too, btw, but it's even worse there. Usually there's one specific program used in their specific sector that the majority of employees use and it's only for Windows and, in many cases, only for some ancient Windows version that they stick with just for that one program.

I play use steam to play games on Linux all the time.

Attached: Nk7WJhQ.jpg (270x320, 17K)

Valve is working hard on removing themselves from the windows ecosystem. I'm pretty sure they'll make a Linux launcher with built in WINE which would allow you to run windows games in an "unstable" mode on Linux through WINE scripts. They have no reason not to do it since they already know that a lot of shitty devs don't bother with anything that isn't windows and giving Linux users the ability to buy and play windows games is pure profit.