/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with

Attached: gimp-edition-made-with-2.8-fs8.png (2000x2000, 134K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rufus.akeo.ie/
askubuntu.com/questions/112150/how-to-correctly-fix-a-dirty-ntfs-partition-without-using-chkdsk
wincdemu.sysprogs.org/
youtube.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

hey I'm in a bit of a situation. I need a surveillance camera system with at least 6 cameras. They need to be REALLY good at night. What is a good system? preferably with no cloud bs

bunch of ip cameras and a computer running zoneminder

I've just installed the glorious dnscrypt-proxy version 2. I'm disappointed to find there appears to be no opennic servers with dnssec except one from MIT which probably logs for the NSA.

Is opennic deprecated?

So I just installed windows 10 on a a brand new hard drive, wiped my old hard drive and I'm using it as a secondary. The reason why I did this was because I though my old drive was dying because my pc would just randomly restart without warning. Now I'm running this fresh install, migrated important documents and photos, now a new problem arises. My pc locks up sporadically for 15-45 seconds at a time, I'll see 50%of my disk being used in the task manager but it won't list what is using that much of my disk. Programs like Windows Photos are using 600-800mbs of my ram without even being open. Certain programs will be running multiple instances which I haven't noticed do that before. [i. e. Photos (2), Cortana (2), Waterfox (4)]. What should I do? Are there any diagnostic programs I should run that might solve the problem? I've checked both drives with Hard Disk Sentinel and it says they're both in good health.

Get the list from the last thread and use it...

Why would I want an outdated list?

It isnt.

a good irc client

Only lists two opennic ones though.

pls

Meaning the others arent worth listing.
Dont use openic, they are unreliable, its literally just random stallmans around the world that most likely dont haveit setup properly, instead of say, a nordic education system that has all their shit setup properly and has dnssec+dnscrypt+ no logs
:)

I use konversation.

You're probably right. Already found some nice one. I never visited ".pirate" or whatever TLDs anyway.

for key in result.keys():
if key == 'uri':
temp_dict = result[key]
print(temp_dict)

can someone explain what this is to me like im a 4 yr old

Meaning the others arent worth listing.
Dont use openic, they are unreliable, its literally just random stallmans around the world that most likely dont haveit setup properly, instead of say, a nordic education system that has all their shit setup properly and has dnssec+dnscrypt+ no logs
:)

bitchx for cli
hexchat for gui

Can someone tell me why this is a thing? "I wish my ram was taller" shows no results on Google.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1000x1000, 58K)

How do SSDs die?
It just seems that in my fagbook air SSD just had died, since GRUB is shited up, every GNU/Linux live usb zip disquette just hangs where it detects all drives, even FreeDOS and Windows 10 installer just hangs.

Why would you ever need this?

To clear a short heatsink? It really doesn't make a lot of sense

How did you get those live USB distros and installers on the SSD?

uh... there shouldn't be trouble with ram and motherboard dimensions, so maybe in case of some other 3rd party components getting in the way?

I posted this in /tpg/, but they ignored me so I guess it's a stupid question.

I need a laptop for work. I'm in Canada so it is a little difficult to find the older models you guys recommend, at least from a reputable dealers that is. So I was considering one of the new models since I can by those direct. I'm looking at the L380 as it hits the right size, desired screen res, power, etc. Is there anything terribly wrong with the build quality of these newer ones? Is this a decent buy?

Attached: 1525014670185.png (512x447, 216K)

Font kerning is fucked up in Firefox on Kubuntu 18.04, but Chrome's fonts look fine. What do?

Attached: firefucks.png (2001x2066, 397K)

On a 1600x900 display, should I be viewing 720p and letting it scale up or 1080p and letting it scale down?

It seems like the latter would make the most sense because it's scaling down higher quality rather than scaling up lower quality but is it really worth it?

It means it probably died. Try live booting

Anyone here a self taught programmer? How long did it take you to actually get a job from your initial learning date?

Be Brave.

Attached: Brave_Software_Logo.png (256x256, 34K)

What is your partition scheme like? My mba hangs at the same point if i have too many partitions in my extended partition but it will eventually get there after 20 mins or so. macOS doesn't boot at all, even when holding opt at boot?

So I have been trying to figure out how internet works, iso/osi and tcp models etc but how does that all relate to the real world? The internet doesn't seem to be as distributed as the theory promises the network to be (eg. I can't set up a web server from my home, can I?) Also, how the hell does the business model of ISPs works? They get money from their subscribers, but what about the traffic going in and out to other ISPs networks?
Is there some place where I can get info on how the theory relates to the real world?

Why is this board so against libre software and in love with anti-consumer companies?

Use chrome. In my experience, it works better with kde anyway. Granted, it could be an oddity of using kde on a Mac, but every distro I've had the same issue of occasionally the file picker crashing and refusing to work until Firefox is restarted on kde, but chrome has never done that.

It must be the time zone you're in. It's been my experience that this board is full on freetard and calls everything nonfree a botnet with Windows and Google users being pajeet shills and Apple users being tech illiterate faggots.

Sadly, I'm here all the time and can't no longer stand the constant shitting on GNU/Linux. Even screaming botnet at every single line of code annoys the shit out of me. Fuck.

At least we're over the söy meme.

Attached: 1160625.jpg (640x480, 34K)

my coworker programmist told me that it's, in general, safer to use signed variables because if shit goes wrong then the variable will loop back to negative/positive thus i can theoretically add/subract as much value as i want without crashing/freezing the program and it protects me from buffer overflow if the system doesn't do that
how good does this advice sound for you?

How do I delete a driver from system32? No I am not trolling, I think I need to delete a driver on windows 7.

I needed to install a virtual cd-rom drive, so I downloaded the Vcdrom program from Microsoft. I tried to run it as instructed but it could not find it's own VCdrom.sys file so I started looking for it. I miss clicked and hit windrive.sys and thats when shit hit the fan. The program tried to run windrive.sys and my computer instantly blue screened. I have tried the automatic repair for windows 7, but that shit didnt work. I dont know why, but my computer has not been setting up restore points when it has been updating. I do not have a back up, but I can pull the hardrive out and access it from another computer. I think that if I delete that corrupted (maybe) file, that the self repair service will work. When I plug that hard drive into another computer, and browse the contents, I get navigate to the file, but when I try to delete it windows stops me, when through it is not this current computers system32 folder.

I got a 2TB hardrive that I can't browse the contents of, downloaded some diagnostics tool and it says SMART Status FAIL, bad sectors or something, can I recover it in any way?
Don't care for the files in it, just need the space. Even if 3/4 of the disk is gone bad, I could still use the 500 GB.
Any way to know if this is possible or the whole disk has gone bad?

sorry, it was wimmount.sys that I clicked on.

I'm not sure if deleting is the solution to your problem but you can delete anything you want by booting into an Ubuntu Live CD.

is there a usb solution? Not having a proper disk drive is what got me in this mess to begin with.

this is the error I got while doing a test with the WD tools

Attached: wddlg.png (376x332, 22K)

Yes, you can boot Ubuntu from a Live USB. You can use Rufus to dump an .iso to a USB drive. rufus.akeo.ie/

If you manage to boot into Ubuntu, you can use "Disks" to mount your drive. You might have to take additional steps if your NTFS is marked as dirty:askubuntu.com/questions/112150/how-to-correctly-fix-a-dirty-ntfs-partition-without-using-chkdsk

Also, next time use wincdemu.sysprogs.org/ to mount CD images on Windows.

I wouldn't try to continue using a failing drive.

Pls someone help my brainlet ass

Attached: 1513404780996.jpg (677x956, 59K)

Are there any downsides to changing to a purportedly faster DNS? I've heard about the speed benefits of doing so but I've always been too skeptical to do so, possibly for no reason.

Maybe if you test RAM a lot and don't want to wear out your mobo socket.

>I wouldn't try to continue using a failing drive.
Yeah nothing I'm trying works and it keeps freezing explorer, got this one used for like $30 a few years ago.

Seems I need to get a new one, I only need it for storage and torrenting, would getting an external hard drive matter much or is that only for ease of switching up different disks and carrying it around?

Drive is dead, no chance of recovery.
Time a buy a new one.

im a newfag, why do you guys hate pajeets? just curious that's all

Inb4

What programming languages do I need to learn to develop a website with a CMS? I'd like to have a simple one page website and a dashboard / CMS / Control panel where I can change certain aspects of the site without having to edit code. Some things I'd like change would be links on a button, paragraphs and header text, a countdown timer.

Anything I should look out buying a new hard drive?
Looking at a few now, Seagate, WD Blue, Maxtor, from what I'm seeing external hard drives are slower and slightly more expensive.

Buy an internal drive, buy a good external enclousure that dosent slow it down
Seagate would be you best bet, firecuda

It doesn't matter much, DNS requests to translate domain names into IPs are only done once, after that you will have it cached

Maxtor has been dead for a decade.

What's the enclosure for? I could just plug in the drive directly to the motherboard, no?
I thought it would be useful for expansion with more drives but the ones I found all only had slot for one drive.

You're right I was looking at Seagate Maxtor.

maybe it's a sex toy?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-02_05-08-59.png (1041x395, 243K)

this user is a winrar:
>ddr3 ram slot protection card laptop memory slot extender
>Engineers or Technicials are testing RAMs continuously on the Motherboard, as the continuous removing & inserting will damage the Laptop Memory Memory Slot and the hole Mother Board will be scrap. If to remove and replace new ram slot, it shall costs more time and money, and effect test work. Now use this Memory Slot Protection Adapter can easily and fully settle this quesiton. Therefore to avoid this you indeed require a adapter for this situation.

I am looking to develop a web app that can control a website. A CMS, but not like Wordpress. Just a simple dashboard to control certain aspects of a one page website.

>Must have features on dashboard:
Ability to change links on website
Ability to turn on a countdown timer
View Google analytics stats
Export email subscribers to a download file
Ability to change the language of the text on the whole site

>Must have features on the website:
SEO optimized
Email submit form
HTTPS
>Sections - By this I mean multiple sections on the site where I can link to by adding a # to the domain = domain.com/#section1 - domain.com/#section2 - These links should auto scroll to that section of the page when a visitor arrives at the site.
Mobile responsive
Ability to change the language of the text on the whole site

I haven't found any sites that are similar to what I'm looking to develop so I can't link to any examples.

What programming languages do I need to know to create such a site? I'm not going to be creating the site, I'll be paying someone else to do it. I just need to know what languages I need the developer to know before I hire them. I'd also like to learn myself.

Could you not do something like... I don't know... Take a mobo with two slots but a 16gb maximum, and you plug in 2x5gb, then put the extenders on top and another 2x4gb? That'd allow you to use 4 sticks to max out a 2 slot board. No idea if that would actually work though.

>2x5gb
Meant 2x4gb. Stupid phone keyboard.

>encloure
Mixed your post up with something else from last thread
Then yeah buy a 4tb firecuda, they are on sale on newegg for 84.99 with coupon code and with free 4+ day shipping

You can start by reading about HTML/CSS for designing the page, PHP for programming the control panel, MariaDB for storing the information and SQL for querying the database. There are newer programming languages such as nodejs but there's no need for using the shiniest newest thing for what you need.

Hi, I'm looking to buy a desktop with an okay-ish CPU that I can work on in the near future, like adding a better GPU, when the graphic card price wouldn't be so high or if I stumble up some good deal. I've never had experience handling a desktop, I've only dealt with laptops, so I chose to go refurbished in case that I break something, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. The usage will be mainly web browsing, watching videos, some moderate gaming, and I'm happy with FHD.

Right now I'm eyeing a THINKSTATION S30 with Quad Xeon E5-1620, 8 GB RAM and 500GB HD. The Specs sheet on the internet suggests it should have NVIDIA Quadro 4000 as GPU. It's priced at ~257 USD from a reputed local business that mainly sells to other companies, I'm from somewhere where computer hardware are more expensive than USD after exchange rate.

Is it an okayish deal? Thank you in advance.

Does anyone know how to open links to other board in clover? For example, if someone posts clover says there is no application to open it, there any solutions?

The machine is refurbished by the way, already mentioned it in the post but it's sort of misplaced for quick readers.

I know my way around HTML/CSS. But I need a dashboard that controls the website so this requires knowledge of other programming languages. By "dashboard" I mean something similar to pic. Also, I'll be paying someone else to develop the site & dashboard so I do want the shiniest newest things.

Do you know of any sites that are similar to what I'm looking for?

Forgot pic.

Attached: aass.jpg (1100x800, 120K)

>4tb firecuda, they are on sale on newegg for 84.99 with coupon code and with free 4+ day shipping
Think that is only for a regular Barracuda.
Thanks, though.

Plain barracuda works too

I want an even higher OC on my i7 920. what can i get away with? for some reason messing with my ram voltage causes my pc to not post. my RAM is fucked in general, it only runs 1 stick or else it won't post. if i swap out this 4gb stick to my 8gb stick, i have to trick the bios beforehand to make it post

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1920x1080, 470K)

what brand of motor oil does Jow Forums use?

What could possibly cause a drawing tablet's wireless signal to be fully functional one second and extremely spotty the next? It started shitting the bed in the middle of a piece and now I can't draw normally unless I use a USB cable. Happens on my laptop, too.

Attached: 1441053934171.jpg (338x225, 75K)

Is there an objectively best "method" or way of typing on a keyboard? What sort of finger placement etc is the most conducive to fast typing?

Does an egpu increase the internal temperature of a laptop significantly?

Does an egpu increase the temps on a laptop significantly?

Practice with Mavis Beacon
If you have a cellular phone nearby, put it into airplane mode.

it'd probably decrease temps if anything, since you're offloading graphics processing from an internal gpu to an external one, the internal gpu will be pretty much unused

does anyone else have the problem where after watching youtube videos for a long time, they get super choppy/laggy? it goes away when i clear cookies, but am curious as to why its happening in the first place

What does it take to decompile a program to its source code? I know for example they did it with Tomb Raider to the point where there were variables that were vulgar. I seriously would like to start decompiling anything, even if it took a year to do it.

My lights flicker when I turn my A/C on.
Why does that happen? How can I fix it?

How can I determine the Network address for an IP address assuming the default subnet mask is used?

How can I determine the CIDR notation based on a subnet mask given in dotted decimal notation? ex: 255.255.255.252

Please respond

Attached: 080F699A-F430-4481-B512-DB246F7DD5EA.jpg (720x711, 181K)

It is not possible to decompile programs, as every programming language gets turned (compiled) into binary code that doesn't make sense for humans.
It's possible to reverse engineer code to get the same functionality as an existing program but you'll never get the variables names. Variables names are only used for programming purposes, they get lost in the compiling process.
What happened with tomb raider was someone leaked some internal debug files the developers used.

also, i'm running 8.1 currently because i had a feeling certain programs wouldn't run on 7. should a.) go back to 7? whats the best way to get win7 in 2018?
or b.)install windows 10?
main problem with 8.1 is that my GPU doesn't get the latest drivers anymore

Ok, well aside from variable names, is it possible to decompile a program to some kind of source code?

Market saturation.
>dey took eyr jabs

How do you *not* be a leech with torrent?

Attached: e02.jpg (645x588, 57K)

Seed at least one full copy.

Nope, all programs are compiled into assembly code in order the be ran by computers. You can read the assembly code that is running on your computer (your computer needs to 'read' to know what it has to do after all), but not the source code the program was made in.
It's like with cooking, you could figure out what ingredients were used in a meal and attempt to recreate it but you can't simply figure out the recipe from the finished product.

You let it seed once finished. In many programs you can set them to "seed until X ratio, then pause/delete", if you set the ratio to 1.00 you will give as much as you take.

i want to learn one of the meme langs out of this list:
-elixir/erlang
-haskell/idris
-scheme
-scala
which should i go for?

- Run your torrent client whenever your computer is on. (You can't seed if nobody can connect)
- Don't delete torrents immediately after you finish with the files. Keep 100GB or so on your hard drive dedicated to sharing. As you download a new torrent, delete the oldest one.

So you should always have content that you have shared. If you're sharing you're not a leech.

SCAAAAAAALLLLLLLAAAAAAA

Attached: 1496887983502.jpg (447x447, 43K)

When we will see what comes next from the GT 1030?

depends on your connection and cpu if you're streaming videos and how big your display is in inches

1080p and let it scale down.
Unless you are talknig about anime then 720p.

for key in result.keys():
"result.keys()" must be a list of keys, the "for" code is looping through them and running the following code for each key

if key == 'uri':
if the value of the current "key" being examined is equal to "uri", then execute the following code

temp_dict = result[key]
this code only gets run if "key" is "uri", so if we're here it means we found out what we wanted.
stores the value associated with the current key in "temp_dict" so we don't lose it

print(temp_dict)
displays temp_dict on the screen or whatever

I always have cookies turned off these days but that breaks a lot of convience stuff for websites.

The one that bothers me is youtube. I like it's dark theme.

Is there a way to have every webpage with the domain youtube.com/ load with the dark mode option checked on?

If I have an interview tomorrow where knowing "Linux is a bonus", what's the best thing to cram tonight to appear like I know shit? I know BASH alright, and have used Mint and Debian a lot, but never really technical shit. Help me Jow Forums, I shoulda installed Gentoo

Attached: IMG_0994.jpg (532x720, 80K)

I need to print some index cards for a project, but my printer doesn't print index cards, so I want to just print them on regular card stock and cut them out. Any good way I can do that with a few of them on LibreOffice?

Is there anything I can that's fun and productive with old phones? I have like three of them