What's the best language for developing a desktop application?

What's the best language for developing a desktop application?
pls help I'm just a dumb web developer

Attached: programminglanguages.png (600x249, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6O9V5nc13h8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Qt + Python or C#

Java because portability

C# + WPF

>I'm just a dumb web developer
Have you heard of Electron? You can keep using your dumb JamalScript for everything

Electron. No wait, Electron is not a language. Node.

Attached: webdevingSocks.jpg (355x355, 11K)

XBAP and I can bring muh 2018 CSS at least?

Yes, I have heard of Electron, but also I know it runs like shit

For a serious, commercial application: Qt. You could also use C# and Java (.NET is now shipped with Windows, and from Java 9 you can break the JVM down to package it easily without having a 100MB dependency).

In all those cases it's better to use the "classic" mode (i.e. Qt Widgets, Windows Form or Java Swing) unless you want a fancy "media" (in which case go for Qt Quick, WPF or JavaFX).

For a non-serious app you can use anything else: Tcl/Tk, Lazarus, wxWidgets or whatever.

HolyC

>use winforms
it's like you hate separation of concerns

I knew you could do all sorts of shit with Python but is it actually worth it to make GUI apps using it? I was always under the impression it was a scripting language first and foremost.

Erlang + Elm, have the UI run in a browser and build a server using Erlang that you communicate with. Unless you need some kind of high performance UI.

If you want to keep them separate then do it. You don't have to pack your business logic into the form if you don't want to.

>Windows Form
fucking no.

Attached: 1523759732552.jpg (800x537, 108K)

Patrician taste user.

xbap is for IE only right? Isn't it dead yet? Fuck I hated working on that piece of shit with retarded versioning.
Electron is for webbshits and if you want to convert.
People unironically use java for GUI?

C
Gtk
Js
Common Lisp

Visual basic

C SDL

ada

it depends on the application. a long running application is better left to c/c++. for things that you're only going to be using for a few minutes at a time then closing scripting languages work well. nothing annoys me more than looking at htop and seeing 10 different python processes running as daemons. gnome is notoriously bloated in large part because of their idiotic use of python. qt is a nice toolkit although if you're not concerned with looks then tcl/tk is pure fun to work with.

OP here, I just wanna make some programs just to study new languages. I was thinking about Python, but idk if it's better to use it with Tk or Qt.

the easies way would be C# + Winforms

you know js===shit, obviously java or c++ runs better for desktop app

> C# WPF
> C# Win Form
> Java Swing
> JavaFX
> C++ Embarcadero
> C++ MFC
> Qt + whatever language you like

Just keep in mind that at the end of the day the average user wont give a single fuck what language or tool you use as long you software works.

What are you even talking about.
WinForms is a UI framework. Don't put your application logic in it, but that's true for any other UI technology.

yeah but just for the gui

>Today's episode of "What could go wrong"

C++ if you don't want it to run like pajeet shit, also ignore anons saying Java Java is a trash language and the cross platform stuff is a meme. You can write cross platform code in C++

haven't had any problems with it so i can't really say it's not working. that being said, if you plan on using python for gui you should do a bit of research and see if it suits your needs.

>also ignore anons saying Java Java is a trash language and the cross platform stuff is a meme

Yeah, billion dollar corporations rely on Java and it's cross platform capabilities because it is shit. Retard.

C++

Get Embarcadero C++ Builder, user.

Attached: C++Builder.png (1005x599, 663K)

electron.js so you can drive RAM prices up even more

>People unironically use java for GUI?
JavaFX and FXML are pretty easy. But any GUI I would make would be a thin client for a daemon running somewhere. I wouldn't put gui and logic in 1 Java program for my own sanity.

Yes, because corporations ALWAYS do rational things. Name one person who works at google who doesn't hate Java despite using it daily

currently it's Java and TypeScript

>People unironically use java for GUI?
sure
youtube.com/watch?v=6O9V5nc13h8

Attached: 1701_Bitwig_Studio-2_Announce_Banner_Arranger_Fades_Polysynth.png (2880x1800, 242K)

>thinks node is a language
the absolute state

What a dumpster fire of an UI

how obsolete is JavaFX?