/PPG/ PowerPC General

/PPG/ PowerPC General
All things PowerPC related.
>Old PowerMac "g-series" machines
>PPC ThinkPad
>Recent Talos I and II and other Power 8/ 9 machines
>PPC consoles (GameCube, Xbox 360, etc) okay *if* it's about modding the software

Verbose Edition: Post your complete list of specs for your PowerPC Machine

Share:
>What you use your PPC machine for
>What kind of upgrades you've done/ want to do
>What software you use regularly

Attached: IMG_20180501_201037.jpg (2448x3264, 3.87M)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.apple.com/en-au/HT1547
tenfourfox.blogspot.ca/2018/04/unboxing-talos-ii-its-here.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

15" PowerBook g4:
>512mb of SDRAM
>1 ghz G4 processor
>60gb ATA HDD
>ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
>OS X 10.4.11

I use it daily for writing papers for class in Open Office 2.4. Browse the web and IRC in Camino (no longer supported)/ 104Fox. Great DVD player (VLC) with that crispy panel. Mail and calendar clients IMAP great into Gmail.

Looking forward to throwing in 2 x 1gb of RAM and an SSD solution. Has anyone done that before? I'm thinking m.2 to ATA because I have 64gb m.2 I'm not using. Any advantage of an actual ATA SSD? They're a little pricy.

Attached: IMG_20180501_202449.jpg (3264x2448, 3.97M)

Also gonna replace the thermal paste/ possibly do some chassis mods to try to reduce thermal throttling. Good God these things get hot.

You managed to out hipster the think autists
good job

That's worst than thinkpad faggotry, at least their shit is usable.

>Verbose Edition: Post your complete list of specs for your PowerPC Machine
>it's literally a circlejerk for powerpc computers thread
Last one died with like 40 replies.

This thread is nothing new, lurk more newfag.

>huur I make hipster thread once while get 20 replies and you newfag

Attached: 1504082576117.png (645x729, 50K)

>hurr calling the wrong person OP
>being this new

>I-I'm not OP by the way!

Attached: 1519607983594.jpg (645x671, 81K)

Mfw I am OP. I responded to you. Is it summer already?

Kek, some people truly are retarded.

Attached: Clipboard02.jpg (519x690, 200K)

Why would you buy it? Why is Jow Forums becoming more stupid every day?

I got it for free you idiot. Actually, I got four of them, all working, along with an iBook g4 for free.

Literally look at the bump count you newfags

And why you are shilling it?

It's a nice little machine that's super comfy to use. The only reason you're hating is because it has an Apple logo on it. In trying to be different from the normies you've just become like every other Jow Forumsentooman.

Hey, I recently obtained an old PowerMac g5, owner allegedly kept it in great condition, even took out the ram and put it in an anti-static bag when he stowed it, but unfortunately, almost 14 years in storage can hurt a computer.
The computer seems alright, besides being very dusty, but when I go to power it on, it gets a dim light on the power button, that flashes 3 times, that returns to the dim state. I never get a screen either.
I already fixed the ram properly so I know it's not that, does anyone know what might be causing the device trouble? The graphics card was caked with dust and looked dead, so I ordered a new one off eBay, but if anyone knows what the power light might be, or why the system won't give me any picture, I would love to know.
Please, this computer is fucking amazing, I need it!

God, I wish I didnt get two dead powerbooks. I tried fixing one up but I guess both graphics cards were dead, so now I have two paperweights in my room collecting dust...sigh, what a real cheap PowerPC laptop I can get, just for the aesthetic?

Thanks for the bumps!

>Real cheap ppc laptop
A PowerBook g4 lol. They go for dirt cheap. Look on Craigslist/ maybe Ebay if shipping isn't $100. The only other recent PPC laptops were a certain thinkpad that I can never find for less than something obnoxious like $500 on Ebay.

>x86 cucks doing damage control
Have fun with spectre and meltdown while we enjoy non backdoored hardware.

That's really cool, but will you have trouble finding comparable ram for some thing that old? Or was this before Apple went full kike and made upgrading Apple hardware intentionally obtuse.

(you)

PowerPC machines are plenty usable

arent they like $80 bucks though, lol. I thought iBooks were cheaper

All macs with upgradable RAM just use normal RAM. All laptops have specific requirements of RAM. But yes this was almost a decade before they started soldering on the ram if that's what you mean. It's just normal 155 pin (iirc) DDR SDRAM.

plus I already wasted about 80 on the first two trying to fix them lmao

Idk honestly. I thought they were like $40. The iBook G4 I had was totally unusable it was so slow. They were a horrible design. But yeah they'll be cheaper (ugly imo).

would they really be that slow, cant you upgrade the ram, sides, not like you would be doing anything of real performance on them anyways lmao

I'd like to see an x86 laptop from 2001 this nice lol.
>protip, there isn't

Yeah but it's still just slow RAM. The real problem is that sub-1ghz CPU most of them have.

>9 IPs
>30 replies
pathetic

Thanks for the bump!

Ok, well good luck. Would love to see it up and running when you've finished, make a thread about it.

What distro you going to use? There's a good stable PPC Debian version IIRC.

I see, makes me want to try and fix the powerbook now, but if the graphics are boned, so am I lol. Wonder what I could do with them now...

Here's another, enjoy.

True beauty.

Attached: Beuty.jpg (417x500, 23K)

I nabbed an iBook G4 12" for about $70 in 2015. Came with two batteries and didn't smell like shit.

I eventually got a 14" iBook and some 15" PowerBook with an odd LCD from my work as freebies. I disassembled the iBook and regret that I did that. Common MacBooks are less complex than those shits.

My 'dream' would be getting that 8 Core 3GHz PowerMac, but finding one with a not fucked up case is hard.

I don't really see the point of getting one for common use tho, I'm good with installing that Debian distro for PPC CPUs.

>no webcam

How will the NSA spy on you?

MacOS 10.4 of course! The greatest desktop UNIX of all time was pre-intel OS X

For me, I don't see the point of running GNU on them. But to each there own!

>My 'dream' would be getting that 8 Core 3GHz PowerMac, but finding one with a not fucked up case is hard.
If you're going to go that route, why not get a Talos II?

So what does one even do with a computer this old anyway?

I used to rock this, except I upgraded the memory to 256MiB (in addition to the soldered on 32 MiB). Kept original 3.2 GB hdd.

Ran Debian, then Debian testing for awhile. Then Gentoo. I even ran firefox 3 on that thing.

If only I had replaced the HDD it'd be basically silent (the HDD was loud as SHIT)

install gentoo

I have the g5 with a studio display

Dual 2.0 ghz g5 ppc CPU’s
1ghz RAM

I mainly just study and program on this machine. Going to gut it and make a hackintosh with it soon

circlejerk on Jow Forums

Use it

Get a broken one

>have a piece of history
I'm going to gut it and put LED racing stripes on the side.

Attached: 6669a9a119f915ff0ba71e952acccc8c.jpg (700x378, 39K)

Good God please don't! I'm serious man

PowerPC was the sexiest lines of Macintoshes I have and will ever see. That industrial design, to the white plastic finishes, cozy af.

Btw, I just found an iBook in great shape on Craigslist for $20, Should I bite?

Did you read the first post?

YEAH DONT DO THAT SMART BOY, GET A FOOKIN BROKEN ONE FIRST

See

If you understand none of these old PPC Macs have hardware acceleration support for h.264 and would be too slow for Youtube unless you have a dual core 2GHz+ machine

Luckily some of us use computers for more than YouTube.

Huh? When did we get PPC Generals?

Anyways I recently bought the following:

2 PowerMac G3s
2 PowerMac G5s
And a Quicksilver PowerMac G4 MDD, all for $40

The G4 seems to hold up to 5 HDDs, so that'll be a server. A G5 will be a FOG server. A G3 will be used to transfer files to my retro gaming PC with Windows 98, and thus IE4. They will run Gentoo or OpenBSD depending on the purpose.

>too slow for Youtube unless you have a dual core 2GHz+ machine
? my 1.4GHz Pentium M single core laptop from 2005 can play 720p30 youtube video just fine, and it also doesn't have hardware decoding support

Dual boot OS X 10.5 on the G5 it's pretty cool.

I don't need that operating system. I may try it though if I find the ISO.

There's no driver support for the PPC Macs for modern h.264/ other HD video formats.

senpai

um, ok...implying I wouldn't use it to watch movies off the DVD drive like a human being...or simply pull my phone from about two feet away and use that?

What GPU? You can do 720p h.264 baseline on a 1.5/6GHz G4/G5. If you do main or high profile it will choke.

So I learned that my PowerMac g5 will need a hard drive, do they support 1.5 TB drives, or can I use some partitioning magic to make it work?

You're good. I had a 4TB drive in mine, no magic necessary

You can use any 3.5" SATA drive. It will only run at SATA I speeds.

intel something, i repurposed it as a pfsense router some time ago

I got a 700MHz eMac last week. I've been running OS 9.2 and 10.4 on it. I mostly use an 867MHz 12" Powerbook G4. The only problem is how long it takes to build software. It took 5 hours to build apple-gcc42. It's the most comfortable laptop I have for typing, though.

The keyboard on my 15in is the greatest I've ever felt

My 2GHz Core2Duo T60 barely gets by playing 1080p Netflix with Intel GPU. Something tells me you're full of shit, it's baseline, or it's dropping frames like a motherfucker.

>Please, this computer is fucking amazing, I need it!

Obviously not that great if it doesn't fucking boot.

The palm rests on Powerbooks are also exceptional. If only it had a trackpoint, it would be perfect.

How long until IBM ppc 9 chips will work with linux?

What have you tested so far?

Does IBM generally make a port? Or is it just reliant on the community?

now

IBM needs to get Windows 10 and OSX working first, then they will do what they can. It's a waiting game unfortunately.

Wtf? IBM doesn't port either of these to their architecture

assuming they haven't changed since 2014 when i last remember playing youtube videos on it, the format i used on it (22) is main-3.1 (checked just now)

How long until I can build a power9 desktop for shitposting?

support.apple.com/en-au/HT1547

That's pretty impressive if it isn't dropping frames. I'm not sure what profile Netflix uses, but my laptop slows down to a crawl if I try to do anything else but watch video.

You can buy a Talos II now

I saw this posted on Jimmy's
tenfourfox.blogspot.ca/2018/04/unboxing-talos-ii-its-here.html?m=1

Attached: IMG_20180427_170945.jpg (1200x1600, 522K)

I could buy two of my cars for the price of this thing.

Attached: IMG_20180427_163426.jpg (1600x1200, 506K)

>ctrl+f wii
>0 results
Shame on you, guys

Obviously you don't need one. It's a specialized piece of equipment

I forgot about that, I installed FreeBSD on mine

Read the OP again would you.

Blow me.

That's where you're wrong. I'll pick one up secondhand on ebay when I have enough autism bucks saved up.

If anything, the wii is more of a /vr/ thing due to emulation purposes, but it can also be used as a nice home server for internet points

Neat. I used to have gc-Linux in mine. How well does FreeBSD run on it?

Just a friendly reminder that POWER and PowerPC are different ISAs, albeit really similar ones

Here's them. I tested the G4 Quicksilver MDD, and that is fully working. I have not been able to get to working with the G3s or G5s. I can't imagine what can actually be done with the other G5 or G3 so I'll sell those if I can.

Attached: IMG_20180421_175724.jpg (4160x3120, 3.62M)

Thank you for that clarification the next thread will reflect that

you're kidding right?
the hinges were dogshit and you had to tear the whole fucking thing down just to get to the hdd.
when thinkautists sperg about their trashpads they kinda have a point, but what the fuck is this faggotry

>POWER and PowerPC are different ISAs
While this is factually correct, POWER4 and G5 were the same, and supported linux arch is ppc32/ppc64/ppc64el. There is no power arch.

Wouldn't it be on par with saying amd64 isn't x86? Which it technically isn't, but is fully comparable and an evolution of

because he's a crossdressing mexican and collecting worthless shit is apparently all he does with his life.