Hooktube

I see a lot of Jow Forumsentoomen advocating this, but isn't it just a scam that embeds Youtube videos, meaning the views are still counted on YT?
And if the video is deleted on youtube it's deleted on hooktube too.

Attached: hooktube-grey4[1].png (800x256, 33K)

I don't care about a giving views to youtube. I just want a youtube client that will auto-download ever video I watch, or save for later. I'm so sick of going to my watch list and seeing half my saved videos deleted for whatever reason.

I don't use it to avoid views, but I like how it works like the old youtube. Example of this is the seek bar actually shows how much buffer you have downloaded, and not some placebo effect like YT. Plus YT's homepage is bloated in Firefox.

bump

>a scam
yes

>And if the video is deleted on youtube it's deleted on hooktube too.
host them yourself
nobody's stopping you

If by embed you mean serve you the actual mp4 file then yes.

no, it uses the googlevideo API to get the .mp4 file directly, bypassing youtube analytics. obviously google still knows you watched it, but it doesn't count as viewed.

>it uses the googlevideo API to get the .mp4 file directly, bypassing youtube analytics.
Does open network streaming the URL on VLC do the same thing?

sometimes video fails to load that way and it resorts to using the embedded YT player which basically gives them the views and view count.

Jow Forums advocates mpv + youtube-dl for streaming.

Real Jow Forumsentoomen use ffplay + cclive

Well yeah he's just using that fallback for the sake of the viewer. I guess a prompt to load the embed couldn't hurt.

>cclive
>last updated 2013-11-23

And? It still works, is faster, and more minimal. Let me know if you need anymore help.

I don't really care if I count as a viewer, but hooktube loads faster for me and doesn't come with the annoying autoplay function.

>but isn't it just a scam that embeds Youtube videos, meaning the views are still counted on YT?
No, it only does that as a fallback when other methods don't work. This usually happens for VEVO and other popular music videos.

duckduckgo tier scam. is it even open source?

Weird thing is that if the whole point of hooktube is not counting as a viewer, you should only be watching videos from people you hate on it right? But hooktube most viewed is a lot of right wing stuff. So is hooktube lefty? Why would leftists want to revolt against youtube which basically officially supports them?

Who named their software after me?

Just set up a cronjob with youtube-dl to download your history

Does new YT actually not show the buffer bar?

yes

I've noticed many times that it loads even when it shows it was already buffered. Or maybe it means it loaded the 240p stream.

You have it backwards dude. Its users are mainly conservative. There are a lot of people on the right who want to avoid helping Google by giving them views on YT due to Google's political leanings and in particular in protest of the firing of James Damore, so they use HT instead.

Doesn't using mpv/youtube-dl have the same effect anyways?

yes