Mail

You have always suggested Protonmail, cockli and Tutanota or hosting it yourself.
But what about using an email on the webserver I subscribe to?
I bought a domain that is my lastname and the webserver has the email on it. Can I generally trust the hosting provider more since I directly pay for the space and computing power?
Why would they harvest data there, more than """free""" email service?

Attached: d.jpg (225x225, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8755492
github.com/ProtonMail/WebClient
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well Protonmail subsidizes its free service with its paid service, rather than selling data or access to your email to god knows who. As I paid user I don't see this as wasted capitol because free services can be an awesome advertiser to what you offer as a company.

Attached: 3e7d820f0502bc9354b14fe1e980404578bb7e00299b042b16282a4185cbd3d4.png (1513x1078, 1.5M)

I understand your point, so it seems reasonable to think its also private to have an email at the paid webhost service, because I paid for it so the data arent the product of monetization?
I also understand that protonmail specifically aims at secure emailing

>ProtonMail is a scam, much like Lavabit (although the nature of the scam differs). Lavabit at least had the decency to shut down once they realized their claims were fraudulent, once the government told them how they lied and that they would like to take advantage of those lies please.
>They deliver JavaScript to the browser to decrypt messages. While it's true that they don't have access to user messages for as long as they remain honest, that's a profoundly useless property to have. You can just be honest and not try to access messages, which is what Fastmail does. There's no point in handcuffing yourself and holding on to the key.
>As soon as a system administrator feels like accessing the messages (either out of curiosity / government order or because an unauthorized user gained administrative control), they can deliver modified JavaScript to the browser that sniffs the password and decrypted content and sends a copy somewhere. This is, very literally, "being able to decrypt data."
>The encrypted messages that are sent to non-ProtonMail users require visiting a ProtonMail website to decrypt the message, which has all of the security concerns as above. Furthermore, it's pushing the line of what counts as "email". Fastmail is clearly advertising themselves as an actual email service, where you send content over SMTP and it shows up in the recipient's email client. You can't do that with ProtonMail encrypted messages; the recipient gets a link to the content.
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8755492

Nice comment from some random guy posted in 2014.

How is ProtonMail and their VPN?

did you know that protonmail routes all traffic through Mossad servers?

> non-ProtonMail users require visiting a ProtonMail website to decrypt the message
lololol
How can anybody seriously use that?

Max 150 emails on the free version ( daily limit ) to get you to upgrade to the paid version.

This claim is very interesting and clearly has verifiable data to back it up. Thanks for the post, user.

Yep anything involving a third party involve trust. It's about who you trust to protect you the most, that's it. Anyone will stop protecting you under a certain amount of bruteforce. Everything you wrote is informative but pointless because even iq89 know that.

So if protonmail is out, and I don't have the means to host my own. What is the next best (free) email?

Host your own ProtonMail
github.com/ProtonMail/WebClient

Pay for it you asshat, it cost like 5$ a month. Tutanota or Protonmail.

none of you really replied to my original question - is it reasonable to asume that on a paid webhosting with mailserver, there wont be any data mining?

damn bump

This post is so fucking stupid lol. All it says is "If you tell someone a secret a may betray you".
No shit Sherlock.

Trust no one not even yourself.

Who sends 150 mails per day?

It depends on the country your webserver is in.

and it's still valid. stay dumb

>Lavabit was a scam because the US government imprisoned someone and forced them to comply with their unconstitutional demmand
This nigger who wrote this should be shot along with the feds who took down Lavabit.
Terry was right.

All the free (as in gratis) mail services use you as their product, are you dumb?

He's right though. It's just the same old trying to solve a social problem with technology. If you allow your government to get away with anything they want then it doesn't matter what promises an email provider or anyone else make because the government will just say fuck you and make them betray all those promises to get what they want.