Audiophile thread

audiophile thread

Attached: 14852123331162.jpg (1280x960, 282K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1525260960519.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

Attached: 14852137183430.jpg (679x450, 93K)

Attached: me.gif (300x289, 27K)

more like...

Attached: 220px-Sheeanaandworm.jpg (220x182, 11K)

Attached: MV5BMTEzNjkwMzIyMjZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDI2NTU5ODYx._V1_SY1000_SX670_AL_.jpg (670x1000, 217K)

bump

Attached: 14852123331121.jpg (1280x853, 180K)

>30 centimeters of insulation, don't want that background radiation in my music yo
>but also uses unprotected tubes as amps

Wait what

i feel offended by your post. you should have integrated the term snake oil with it.

audiophilisim is a hobby like cars and at some point you buy snakeoil there too

What the fuck am I looking at?

i think i read somewhere that those cages which the cable comes around, passively eliminates stratospheric magnetic radiation, but any other than that. it's pure snakeoil since the cables inside the speaker cabinet are not nearly as thicc and in comparison unshielded

It would also be easier and more effective to run shorter cables.

>30 centimeters of insulation, don't want that background radiation in my music yo
>lives next to a busy street and his window frames are cracked wood
>every time anyone in his whole building flushes the toilet the whole apartment is full of the sound of traveling waste

I know that guy. His setup is worth more than the apartment he is renting.

I refuse to believe that these people have any idea of the basics of electrical engineering.

At these small distances, a standard 99% copper wire of any kind will transmit signals as good as anyone would ever need for an analog signal.

Even digital super high bitrate signals wouldn't be any problem - other than practicability, since those standards usually need 10+ individual signal wires. (i.e. hdmi 2.0 or 10 gbit ethernet)

Interference shielding isn't a real issue either - even if it were, a small foil would be more than enough (similiar to Cat6)

So - assuming that these people are idiots.
Why do they keep being idiots?

If I'd find myself in the situation of being an idiot about something and wanting to buy stuff that's worth hundreds of dollars - I'd be very inclined to educate myself about the scientific principles behind that stuff to understand if I really want/need that, and if yes, what to look out for.

I can't understand why there's a whole industry around people who collectively keep being idiots about something you can pretty much understand in one day of research.

This isn't funny, audiophiles are sick in the head. I should know, I used to live next door to one. One of his cables got loose one day, crawled into my backyard, and ate my dog. I came home from work to find this fucking thing just laying there with a huge bulge. I killed it with a shovel. Never again.

>have audio setup
>listen to music casually
>get new audio gear
>since I'm now evaluating my gear I'm much more analytical and attentive when listening to my music

>>>OH MY GOD ALL THESE DETAILS I NEVER HEARD BEFORE, THIS SNAKE OIL CABLE DOES WORK

This is how the entire modern music industry functions

They look like giant turds

Regular wire will let static electricity pass through. When my cat rubs up on my pant leg when I'm sitting on my desk my speakers will make popping sounds occasionally :(

>his setup isn't home-grown organic
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1525260960519.webm

... but what about A/B testing?

Attached: 1520792730301.jpg (3304x2195, 2.18M)

Attached: audiophile.jpg (800x600, 147K)

Paying 500 dollar for a stuffed python with a shitty chink cable stuck through it's ass is worse investment than buying 50 consumer GPUs for mining fake currency.

you should get an audiophile grade cat

Unless all that guy is listening to is a perfect waveform generator then that setup is ridiculous. The reason being that even the most observant recording studios will still have imperfections in their equipment. Remember at best you can only replicate what went in and if what went in was recorded on shitty exuipment and uses shitty media you will get out at best the music and its imperfections. Listening to perfect audio is only possible if recording perfect audio is possible. that is why most audiphiles are full of fucking shit !

the imperfections need to be perfect though

This, how could you possible enjoy rolling stones if you can't hear the microphones 1.5db dip at 518hz

In video games there are enthusiasts who keep outdated hardware like old TVs to have an "authentic" experience playing old games.
Is there an audio equivalent, like people keeping old headphones and Sony Walkmen to have an authentic poor quality listen of the Rolling Stones?

any type of rational argument is completely besides the point

there's nothing anyone can say that would pass the audiophile filter of irrationality

Attached: mikro-pebbles.jpg (510x342, 28K)

Try reading books to improve your reading comprehension skills. Try some books on modal and formal logic to sharpen up the logic skills that have obviously gone a bit blunt or have never been that sharp

yes, and that's actually a reasonable reason to use old ass amps and speakers, like from the 70s.

Sure, modern setups reproduce audio objectively better, but that's not what average joe people would have listened to decades ago.

But that's something entierly different - since it decouples the objective quality of sound reproduction from subjective experience, which audiophiles generally aren't able to do.

"authentic" isn't the same as "best"

>not buying healing crystals for your audio cables

People still buy vinyl records and CDs.

Attached: 1525263698789.jpg (3304x2195, 2.44M)

what's wrong with CDs?
(other than practicability)

Yes and ironically it's a PlayStation. Apparently they claim or used to claim that the early models had an unusually good DAC.

that's actually true.
where that whole story becomes bullshit though, is that a lot of people claim it's better than modern (high-quality) DACs

PHOTO CAPTION
Steve, I think we need rodent control to get here fast. I just heard a mouse fart about 200 yards away and it disturbed my concentration on Freddy Mercury's voice

bumpadumpalus

Attached: 1481251929293.jpg (2048x1536, 299K)

Attached: 1480819132347.png (542x958, 338K)

Attached: 1480875425261.jpg (1198x503, 149K)

It gives the same results as blind testing those very expensive wines. Noone really can tell the difference if they don't see the price tag.

Is that a cymbal attached to the amplifier(???)?

actually what I'd expect from audiophiles

>not having your own isolated electrical generation source.

Their (eventually) boiling bodily fluids are giving surprisingly good sound.

Anyone have that one with the cable that looks like a snake?

thats where shit really grinds my gears

I'm okay with audiophiles and their stupid anaconda analog signal cables ... whatever

but digital?
really?

there is no difference in "quality" in a digital signal. it's a sequence of low and high voltage signals that get interpreted as 0 and 1

if somethings wrong with the signal transmission, it won't transmit - it simply fails. That's why expensive digital cables exist for specific usecases, like long range for example

However - if the signal arrives at the destination and can be interpreted ... there's no, absolutely no, difference in quality - none.

It doesn't matter if you use a bend coathanger that you dunked into catpiss or a perfect wire of pure gold, shielded by meters of lead

I can't believe that audiophiles don't understand this basic principle of digital signal transmission.

Like this?

Attached: 14852694733140.jpg (658x619, 83K)

Fucking cablelets.I bet you use a $5 Walmart HDMI cable too.

They don't understand sampling theorem either.

Yeah it was fat like that, but had stripes.

Or just ground yourself sometimes, touch a wall radiator or something like that

They think CDs are better quality than getting FLACs

I want to feed it insects and pet it.

Attached: 1525260971729.jpg (604x516, 31K)

>I can't believe that audiophiles don't understand this basic principle of digital signal transmission.
I can.

>They think CDs are better quality than getting FLACs
I'm no audiophile or supporter of them, but I've never heard anyone claim that. The only claims about CDs I've heard is that they're worse quality than analog formats, or that "high res" FLAC is better than CD quality.

Part of the reason computers are slow is because before data can be read it needs to go through error correction. Only titanium enshrined gold couplings will do and the wire must be made of gold encrusted hair from a gorillas pubic region

That's AM right?

It's my first time in an audiophile thread and I regret it.

Good bye.

Attached: 1503553877786.webm (1280x720, 2.99M)

explain what the fuck is that to a brainlet

I would so like to see how they look inside.

This is the most wholesome Pepe I have ever seen.

if your headphone's cables are not plated in pure gold the electron flow will be impeded by tiny quantum distortions in the time space continuum that prevent the ionization of the respective particles that allow the movement of high fidelity electrons meaning the less preferred low fidelity electrons which lack certain quark configurations will transpose across the cable preventing certain frequency response

No, usually I pick up fm stations close by through my keyboard's speakers. Randomly it comes through really loud too, even if keyboard isn't on, or plugged in.

Something you need to spend money on.

wtf? What is going on? A shit radio transmitter?

oh no no no

it's a meme you dip, you can see this by the teflon-coating on the cable

We are clearly mocking audiotards.
Kek
Its Apu.
Russians

My biggest gripe with audiophilage is that nobody ever goes for accuracy, they all hate perfectly responsive dynamic speakers, and say they sound "flat." Which may be true, but isn't the end-goal supposed to be perfect sound reproduction? These are electrostats from apogee, they have extremely accurate responses from 20hz-20khz +-0.4db Nobody digs electrostats, and apogee went out of business, because most review sites kept calling them "lacking in character" which is complete bullshit, they accurately reproduce sound, end of story.

Attached: EST Sys1.jpg (1536x1716, 222K)

But even with those high VTL amps electrostats still can’t punch you in the gut.

shocklingly, people that are obssesed with music have no understanding of electrical engineering or signal processing

youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk

>Its Apu.
Clearly I am lacking my memeology degree. I apologize, professor.

Attached: Horse.png (600x273, 30K)

ANother gripe I have is there is a constant argument over analog amplification and digital amplification, solidstate blocks are known for objectively better response, but lack dept, richness and warmth that tubes give you, but tubes are shite on power unless you get a big overkill system like pic related.

Attached: EST Sys2.jpg (960x720, 122K)

Rate

Attached: 15063755511392.png (521x582, 473K)

So you would prefer something like this, which distorts the shit out of your sound, and plays non-dynamically, because it has a greater impact? I don't understand, why don't you care about accurate sound reproduction?

Attached: scaled_DSC00343.jpg (840x558, 134K)

Wrong pic.

Attached: download.jpg (4896x3264, 1.74M)

found plans for diy klipschorns
they look pretty hard to make tb.h
should I ask my carpenter friend to help me make them?

It's not like those stuff are electrically wrong. It does make sense for it to be expensive, quality stuff is expensive in the signal/electronics world.
But I do agree that the diminishing returns are there. You must be a very special snowflake to notice any difference.
Just giving a light of sanity in this thread.

Quads and Maggie’s have a huge following for a reason, so do horns with 1 watt Amps. Different strokes

biglivedotcom should review this

Attached: 14918419754871.jpg (700x525, 60K)

Standard house wiring, (14-2) to the outlet, is fine though. Just need that loom stuck at the end of the circuit and everything is better now.

See, but that's the problem, It's all about opinion. There doesn't seem to be any kind of scientific goal to reach, nor does it seem like people are putting together systems in an objective way, it's all subjective. I'm by no means a golden ear, but, I do enjoy accurate sound reproduction. I just can't find anyone who aims for a perfectly dynamic sound. I can't find speakers that are perfect, and those that I can find seem to be lost to time.

Electrostatics suck.
But I thought Apogee used ribbons?

They are electrically wrong because they don't emphasize things like noise rejection and the like. The stuff being made fun are more about a giant cable sheath for no reason, or a lavishly adorned case, or unprotected valves.

Nah, if you want perfect reproduction just buy studio monitor speakers.
Audiophilility is about good sound, not acurate sound.
Ears like tone coloration here and there for a more pleasing experience.

Also electrostats are still a thing, theres a big community behind it.
I'd love to hear electrostats....

Yeah, It’s a hobby, enjoy what you enjoy and maybe find others who share your interest or don’t. Shouldn’t concern yourself with how other people live their life when it comes to something retarded as how they decide to spend their money.

>tfw everyone knows that by the age of 20 a lot of your hearing ability already went out the window but snake oil audiophiles still believe in their placebo equipment

fucking keks

Hi!
My whole audio library is on my android phone.
Every song is a 128kbs youtube rip made in newpipe.
My headphones brand is "Smart Line™". I bought them in Jula store for 7€

It makes me laugh that people are dumb enough to buy something like this. Also makes me laugh knowing people spend hundreds, sometimes thousands on a fucking usb dac instead of a cheap optical one

are they burnt in? if not they must be trash

>Nah, if you want perfect reproduction just buy studio monitor speakers.
If I had money to burn I would get a set of Genelec midfields.

audiophiles are a special kind of retard breed

It's help helper

You're right, I'm not one to judge someone for wanting to add some salt and pepper to their eggs.

Eh, most studios I find suck as far as specs, though the Apogee studio grands are the best I've ever heard, though they can easily set you back 100+k

I mean there is lots of research done on transmitting digital signals accurately because there are discrepancies and issues. But yeah none of it will ever be audibly noticeable, they're literally wasting thousands for placebo and it's kind of sad.

Sad as complaining about how other people spend their money?

Lol, I've seen measurements of that and it actually made the signal worse.

Audiophiles are hilarious.

Attached: 1522923421321.png (360x594, 250K)